Arena Status - If you're in the know, then let us know

The site selection ceremony was in December, the "accelerated fundraising" was in January, and groundbreaking was supposed to take place in February or March. We are now in April, and we haven't heard a thing for several months.

What is the latest word? Are the fundraising efforts way behind schedule? Is the project moving forward? The last news I read was a bit in the paper last month suggesting that Metrotix was hoping to land the ticket contract for the arena.

I have a lot of inside information that I cannot pass on but I can say that the project is being worked on with great vigor every day. There are some redesign issues but it will be basically the same size as to the seating. Negotiations are ongoing with a possible naming donor.

That would be a real dumb move if it is true. If the Arena is being used as one would hope if we don't have a game scheduled then where would the team practice...West Pine Gym is NOT a good option as it has been a recruiting detriment IMHO.

Windows? No. But how 'bout the possibility of adding an ice rink in the future so we can bring back Billiken Hockey! Now that would be cool.

an ice rink... why not. Apparently, there is an underground water source.

The Arena - a creek runs through it.

Naming rights: the Hope Arena, it has a nice sound. I know that Paul Reinert S.J. and Bob Hope were friends.

I have no doubt the arena project will be a first rate and comprehensive facility. I just hope they don't scale back the 13K seating capacity.

Everyone has to recognize that a project like this has a budget and it need to be built efficiently in order to make it feasible. The school is committed to build the facility and we as fans whould be very happy about tht decision. However, the budget is not unlimited and everyone may not get everything they want. If any of you have ever been involved in a building project with a need to be frugal yet get the job done, you know that hard decisions have to be made in the value engineering stage. Everyone shoule remain calm and be happy that we will have our own place to play in about 2 years!

convertible roof that opens up so we can play roller-hockey in the spring and have outdoor concerts in the summer. If it doesn't have that feature then the administration clearly hasn't shown the committment to developing a big-time basketball program.

There is going to be an ice ring built on campus to play hockey. The money is being independently financed through tax free bonds. the university is donating the land. I asume it's to be built somewhere near Compton. The university will not be involved in it's operation.

i hope the school isnt involved. these rinks are gallons of red ink waiting to happen. it seems none of them make money. the one in fairview heights which was reputed to be top shelf quality and my understanding was being used all the time (teams had to practice at like 3 am to get ice time) is now sitting idle. and the rumor is wont open again.