Bracketology

Billiken75

Here is a Joe Lunardi update for seeding to the 2012 NCAA tournament. He currently projects us as a 6 seed. This team is going to have to keep getting better and we need to make our home court hell to play in.

Overachievers: What do the following teams have in common? None were better than borderline NCAA candidates in our preseason evaluations, yet all have positioned themselves for more serious at-large consideration through their first 8-10 games. Let's give it up, then, for Georgetown (currently projecting as a No. 4 seed), Indiana (No. 6 seed), Saint Louis (No. 6), Stanford (No. 6), Virginia (No. 8), Northern Iowa (No. 8), Mississippi State (No. 9) and San Diego State (No. 10).

Here is a Joe Lunardi update for seeding to the 2012 NCAA tournament. He currently projects us as a 6 seed. This team is going to have to keep getting better and we need to make our home court hell to play in.

Overachievers: What do the following teams have in common? None were better than borderline NCAA candidates in our preseason evaluations, yet all have positioned themselves for more serious at-large consideration through their first 8-10 games. Let's give it up, then, for Georgetown (currently projecting as a No. 4 seed), Indiana (No. 6 seed), Saint Louis (No. 6), Stanford (No. 6), Virginia (No. 8), Northern Iowa (No. 8), Mississippi State (No. 9) and San Diego State (No. 10).

I really don't like the term "overachievers," as it suggests that we're going to fall back to earth at some point. Won't happen.

Also, I'm not sure I would want the bills seeded that low. I would love to see them going in as a 9 or 10 with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

We would get around a 6 seed if we lose 5 regular season games and that seems like a reasonable forecast. However, I want to point out our margin of error is going down. 8 losses (reg. season) is probably out now due to the mediocre play of our non-conf opponents. We need Temple, Washington, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Dayton, etc. to step into the top 50 to get a better profile. If Xavier is the only other A-10 team in the top 50 and none of our non-conference teams step SLU will need to perform against X. Dayton needs to keep playing well and we need Temple to win out non-conf as well. It would be nice for the rest of the conference to get some wins but not necessary.

If you have not been paying attention Loyola Marymount has not been playing well and that loss looks like it will be a mark on our profile. BC, Tex Southern and Alabama St. will hurt just to have played them. Ark State should have an OK record.

I really don't like the term "overachievers," as it suggests that we're going to fall back to earth at some point. Won't happen.

Also, I'm not sure I would want the bills seeded that low. I would love to see them going in as a 9 or 10 with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

Really? A 7-10 seed pretty much dooms you to a 2nd round loss at the hands of a 1 or 2 seed. A 6 seed gives you a fighting chance against a 3 in the second round. My goal for this team remains an at large bid (at any seed) but once we get into the seeding discussion, I'd much rather have a 6 than something in the 7-10 range.

Really? A 7-10 seed pretty much dooms you to a 2nd round loss at the hands of a 1 or 2 seed. A 6 seed gives you a fighting chance against a 3 in the second round. My goal for this team remains an at large bid (at any seed) but once we get into the seeding discussion, I'd much rather have a 6 than something in the 7-10 range.

I definitely see benefits of both, but past years have shown 11 seeds beat the 6 (3 out of 4 last season, 2 of 4 in '10) pretty frequently.

thank God we have Backhand, a true bandwagon jumper.

Eastsidehoe-

Most on the board already know you bring little to this forum. But for those who don't, Eastsidehoe brings little to this forum. Now everyone is on the same page.

To address your comments (although this is the last time), check my 1/2 season tickets purchase date last year and my full season ticket purchase this year. Clearly it prepones any sort of good news the Billikens have had this year. I also think my trip to Carbondale this year was before the Billikens knocked off any true competition this year, right?

Thanks for the innacurate, not funny, and ridiculous post today. You are always good for one.

I definitely see benefits of both, but past years have shown 11 seeds beat the 6 (3 out of 4 last season, 2 of 4 in '10) pretty frequently.

That may well be but 8/9 games are truly 50/50 and 7/10s aren't much better. I'm not sure why you rather be one of those seeds than a 6. Now if somebody wants to argue its better to be an 11 or 12 seed than an 8 or 9 I'd listen. See my previous comment about the 2nd round slaughter that awaits the 1st round winner.

Eastsidehoe-

Most on the board already know you bring little to this forum. But for those who don't, Eastsidehoe brings little to this forum. Now everyone is on the same page.

To address your comments (although this is the last time), check my 1/2 season tickets purchase date last year and my full season ticket purchase this year. Clearly it prepones any sort of good news the Billikens have had this year. I also think my trip to Carbondale this year was before the Billikens knocked off any true competition this year, right?

Thanks for the innacurate, not funny, and ridiculous post today. You are always good for one.

Posted Image

That may well be but 8/9 games are truly 50/50 and 7/10s aren't much better. I'm not sure why you rather be one of those seeds than a 6. Now if somebody wants to argue its better to be an 11 or 12 seed than an 8 or 9 I'd listen. See my previous comment about the 2nd round slaughter that awaits the 1st round winner.

Personally, I think I'd rather be an 11 than a 8 or 9. Avoiding the 1 seed in the second round is too big of a plus.

Man, it's incredible to be even talking about seeding. I'd still just be happy getting into the tourney, but this team is better than one just hoping to get in.

You're right, I didn't think twice about the actual seeds in my first post. Just that a higher one would be beneficial. Apologies.

Personally, I think I'd rather be an 11 than a 8 or 9. Avoiding the 1 seed in the second round is too big of a plus.

Man, it's incredible to be even talking about seeding. I'd still just be happy getting into the tourney, but this team is better than one just hoping to get in.

+1. Really tough not being giddy seeing these projections.

Eastsidehoe-

I stand by my known facts, bandwagon jumper, discount it all you want. How many gomes this year Backhand, 5?6? Gotta work? My value to the board iincludes but is not limited to keeping you honest my friend

That's probably what Pitt and Kansas thought about Butler and VCU last year. Just sayin.

Oh you must mean that Butler team that was National Runner-up the year before. I wouldnt classifty their wins as upsets the last 2 years. Just sayin

Reading the Billiboard always makes my day... You Sarcastros always make me laugh... and our Bills have us all ( admit it) Giddy...or if anyone picks up the reference, twitterpated. :) Hope theres a #34 to pick on for tomorrows game.

Oh you must mean that Butler team that was National Runner-up the year before. I wouldnt classifty their wins as upsets the last 2 years. Just sayin

Why? I'm sure there were plenty of people who were making the same statements about these games that you just made about Ohio State. I'm certainly not going to argue that SLU is better than Ohio State, but it always amazes me that certain fans think there is some huge difference between the #1 and #50 in college basketball. We're shown every year that even the "best" teams can be beat on any given night by solid opposition, yet people like yourself continue to make these types of statements.

I actually view last year's Butler team as very similar to our current SLU team. A team that played well together, had an undersized stud in the middle, and a number of good guards but no real NBA talent. They caught lightning in a bottle and made an incredible run. It would be unlikely that SLU could do the same, but not impossible, which is my overall point. There is very little in college basketball that is impossible, including SLU beating OSU once out of ten tries.

+1 to SShoe.

To all the naysayers...

We've upset some great teams... Remember when we beat Memphis when they were #1 or 2 in the country? I'm so bad at putting dates on these things. Or what started this year, Washington? We've beat Cincinatti a few times in the past when they were big... We've always been one of those "upset" teams... thats what I love about the billikens... they will randomly do the impossible and its great! :) .... Although many of those times in the past they would turn around and lose to a marshmallow team, but this year we're just killing it...

Have some faith, let us do what we do... The unlikely.....

OR, fine, dont. Fuel the fire and keep assuming what we cant do and it makes it all the more impressive when we shock you! :)