Any chance at all they stay ranked this week?

pooch1918

At this point the biggest factor will be how the teams that are ranked 20-35 perform. For example, Ill could get in this week while Vandy might drop out. There's still a group of undefeated mid majors in the votes category that could leap frog us. I think Creighton will get back in after beating a good SDSU team at their place. But it's so subjective at this stage rankings mean little in terms of how good a team actually is. That said, it's great PR to be a top 25 team at any time, and we're gonna miss seeing them on the ESPN ticker if we drop out. One thing that might hurt us was LMU losing to friggin' Columbia at home.

I think we saw last week how poorly some voters really pay attention to some of this. So I think since we've created a buzz and then bounced back after a tough loss I'm hoping we'll stay in the rankings. 7-1 with the schedule we've played still looks pretty gaudy. Of course, I'm often wrong.

I won't be shocked if we stay in, however, I think we'll drop to around 30 and then work back up. The amount of National pub we've gotten though could keep us in. Every article we've seen seems to discount the LMU game. Lets hope voters have the same opinion.

Upon further review, however, if Creighton loses to Nebraska, and/or San Diego state beats California in a close game, our chances of staying in the AP top 25 improves. Also, it would be very helpful if Seattle U. ? beats Harvard. The Gonzaga loss may have helped us some, too. But, Illinois has made a strong case for inclusion.

I'm all for staying in the rankings but really, who cares? Just Win Baby, the rest will take of itself.

National publicity is not my goal. I also believe Rick carries enough national and international rep that players will know who he is and the fallacy of getting national pub equating into getting national talent level players will remain just that, a fallacy.

Again, for a program that's been brain dead, the recognition is like a long-lost drug. Don't fall for it. Look what happened when the team did (according to Rick at LMU) and we walked cock-sure into Loyola. Don't read the papers. Don't read the internet. Just play good ball.

I think we saw last week how poorly some voters really pay attention to some of this. So I think since we've created a buzz and then bounced back after a tough loss I'm hoping we'll stay in the rankings. 7-1 with the schedule we've played still looks pretty gaudy. Of course, I'm often wrong.

This is what I was thinking as well. I was very surprised by the number of voters who didn't have us on their ballot at all. They obviously hadn't paid attention to the weekend. With a 20 point win yesterday, I'd say it's 50-50 that we come in at 25 in the AP.

Yeah. I primarily would like to see the Billikens get to the NCAA tournament. The more often that they're in the top 25 the better their chances and higher the seed. There may not be a direct correlation for this, but their is definitely an indirect relationship. Plus, there is much more information printed everywhere about teams that are in the top 25.from a fans point of view, that alone is reason enough to have some interest in being ranked.

Yeah. I primarily would like to see the Billikens get to the NCAA tournament. The more often that they're in the top 25 the better their chances and higher the seed. There may not be a direct correlation for this, but their is definitely an indirect relationship. Plus, there is much more information printed everywhere about teams that are in the top 25.from a fans point of view, that alone is reason enough to have some interest in being ranked.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about it. It's not the number, it's the fact that the school name is out there. It maybe does put a target on the team and it's not so easy to sneak up on folks, but if we're as good as we think we are and want to go the dance, we have to win anyway.

Thoughts?

No chance. We'll drop to the 30-35 range. If we take care of business in the next few weeks other teams inevitably will lose and we'll creep back up before the New Mexico game. Depending on how other teams do, we'll either be in the top 25 or just missing it at that point.

I'm all for staying in the rankings but really, who cares? Just Win Baby, the rest will take of itself.

National publicity is not my goal. I also believe Rick carries enough national and international rep that players will know who he is and the fallacy of getting national pub equating into getting national talent level players will remain just that, a fallacy.

Again, for a program that's been brain dead, the recognition is like a long-lost drug. Don't fall for it. Look what happened when the team did (according to Rick at LMU) and we walked cock-sure into Loyola. Don't read the papers. Don't read the internet. Just play good ball.

If you don't think the national publicity is VERY good for the school and for the athletics program's recruiting efforts, you are missing something. I definitely want the school/team to have all the positive national publicity it can garner and being rank is one of the simplest and most impactful ways of achieving that publicity.

If you don't think the national publicity is VERY good for the school and for the athletics program's recruiting efforts, you are missing something. I definitely want the school/team to have all the positive national publicity it can garner and being rank is one of the simplest and most impactful ways of achieving that publicity.

+1

At this point, we don't have another game that could push us upward until NYE at The Pit. We just have to win these 5 straight home games and hope enough 15-30 teams lose a game or two during this month so we can slowly work our way up. So depending on how much that happens, we might find ourselves ranked again before New Mexico. And a win out there would definitely push us back into the top 25 if it doesn't happen again before that. 13-1 (12-1 without IL-Springfield) going into the A10 schedule would be really nice.

Any loss in these 5 remaining December home games, though, would be bad news for our ranking prospects for the rest of the season.

+1

At this point, we don't have another game that could push us upward until NYE at The Pit. We just have to win these 5 straight home games and hope enough 15-30 teams lose a game or two during this month so we can slowly work our way up. So depending on how much that happens, we might find ourselves ranked again before New Mexico. And a win out there would definitely push us back into the top 25 if it doesn't happen again before that. 13-1 (12-1 without IL-Springfield) going into the A10 schedule would be really nice.

Any loss in these 5 remaining December home games, though, would be bad news for our ranking prospects for the rest of the season.

I think you pretty much have it. Would be surprised if the Bills are even receiving many votes this week. Hold Serve the rest of non-conference and beat NM at the Pit, and the Bills should be back in the Top 25 for Dayton.

While I completely agree that being nationally ranked not only helps the athletic program but also increases fan recognition and enhances the reputation of the school, being out of the rankings COULD end up being a positive development...

When discussing seeding for the Tournament, let's face it, there is a glass ceiling for us...probably the 8-12 range is what we are shooting for...Personally, I would like to see us at an 11 seed...we retain that 'underdog' status that we apparently thrive on, plus we have an easier path to the Sweet 16 (and beyond)...don't underestimate the potential benefit of hanging around the 30-35 range...

Ranking is about PR.... PR for the University, for donations, for attendance, for recruiting, for making the Dance, for seeding at the Dance (right now we should be a 6th seed...operative word ...should). So ranking does have some positives. I am thinking after the loss we fell to around 30. Unfortunately, Portland will be the best team we face till NYE so it will be difficult to make up ground. If we keep winning in double digits till the new year we could creep back in. It is just hard to predict how people who aren't paying attention (especially to the bottom of the rankings) will vote. So...just win baby.

Portland lost by 24 to top-ranked Kentucky last week. Pilots coach Eric Reveno believes Saint Louis (No. 25 ESPN/USA Today, No. 23 AP) is better.

"We've played some good teams and they're the most skilled and toughest team that we've probably played in terms of execution and just good basketball," Reveno said after Saint Louis' 73-53 victory on Saturday night.

"Would they win at Kentucky? I'm not going to say that. Looking at them I'm thinking 'That's a good team,' and unfortunately they're doing it to us."

we might move up to number one

Portland lost by 24 to top-ranked Kentucky last week. Pilots coach Eric Reveno believes Saint Louis (No. 25 ESPN/USA Today, No. 23 AP) is better.

"We've played some good teams and they're the most skilled and toughest team that we've probably played in terms of execution and just good basketball," Reveno said after Saint Louis' 73-53 victory on Saturday night.

"Would they win at Kentucky? I'm not going to say that. Looking at them I'm thinking 'That's a good team,' and unfortunately they're doing it to us."

we might move up to number one

Reveno gets the only vote next week.

While I completely agree that being nationally ranked not only helps the athletic program but also increases fan recognition and enhances the reputation of the school, being out of the rankings COULD end up being a positive development...

When discussing seeding for the Tournament, let's face it, there is a glass ceiling for us...probably the 8-12 range is what we are shooting for...Personally, I would like to see us at an 11 seed...we retain that 'underdog' status that we apparently thrive on, plus we have an easier path to the Sweet 16 (and beyond)...don't underestimate the potential benefit of hanging around the 30-35 range...

there is no glass ceiling on a potential seed for us. If we have a truly magical season and beat New Mexico and won the conference regular season over Xavier we could get a 4-5 type seed. I am in no way predicting that is what we do but any talk of an 8 seed being the best we could hope for is unjustified.

there is no glass ceiling on a potential seed for us. If we have a truly magical season and beat New Mexico and won the conference regular season over Xavier we could get a 4-5 type seed. I am in no way predicting that is what we do but any talk of an 8 seed being the best we could hope for is unjustified.

Granted, if we have an unbelievable season (which I am definitely hoping for) we will likely get a high-level seed...but realistically speaking an 8-12 seeding range is more in line with our schedule...

If you look at Temple over the last 3 years, their seeds have been 11, 5, and 7 with records of 22-11, 29-5, and 25-7 respectively...however, each year, their schedule has been much more difficult than ours...I see us as having a record similar to their 25-7 campaign in which they received a 7 seed. With a worse schedule, that puts us at an 8+ seed...

I understand that each Tournament presents unique situations and that it's extremely difficult to compare seasons, but the A-10 has gotten underseeded over the past few years, and barring our complete domination of the A-10 (which admittedly COULD happen) I think an 8-12 seeding range is a healthy expectation...and again, I'm hoping we can get higher than that, but imo that will be a chore...