Who Is to Blame for the Loss?

TheA_Bomb

being ranked doesnt get us in any post season play. while it was nice to hear our casual fan friends rave about slu being ranked and all, imo, all i care about is getting an overall rpi in the 20's or at worst 30's and finishing in the top 4 of the conference. then we make the tourney and then we really got something.

playing loyola marymount was a splendid game. too bad we lost. but i stand by it was far better than playing binginhamton or whatever the hell that school is and winning by 108 pts. that would accomplish nothing long term but a meaningless W.

this team showed way too much good the first 6 games to get to down about last night. now if we do the same saturday night, then something is all at once broke or the fairy dust has all been washed off. then we can go into b!tch mode.

being ranked doesnt get us in any post season play. while it was nice to hear our casual fan friends rave about slu being ranked and all, imo, all i care about is getting an overall rpi in the 20's or at worst 30's and finishing in the top 4 of the conference. then we make the tourney and then we really got something.

playing loyola marymount was a splendid game. too bad we lost. but i stand by it was far better than playing binginhamton or whatever the hell that school is and winning by 108 pts. that would accomplish nothing long term but a meaningless W.

this team showed way too much good the first 6 games to get to down about last night. now if we do the same saturday night, then something is all at once broke or the fairy dust has all been washed off. then we can go into b!tch mode.

Outstanding post, Roy! Could not have said it better myself.

The rankings are all about the media and the casual fans. They mean nothing at the end of the season when the committee is setting the field for the tournament. We got ranked, then lost to an unranked team, and the casual fans will think "same old Billikens."

Let's start by changing the header on this board. These guys don't deserve "Short Lived." It set's the tone for all of this bitching and moning. We're 6-1 while beating 4 BCS teams in row. Anyone of us would have taken this. We'll have more bad games this year I'm sure. Chalk it up and move on. I wouldn't think about bitching if we ended up 12-2 non-conference.

The rankings are all about the media and the casual fans. They mean nothing at the end of the season when the committee is setting the field for the tournament. We got ranked, then lost to an unranked team, and the casual fans will think "same old Billikens."

they would have said that if we lost in 5 overtimes to Xavier in Cincy.

F the st louis casual sports fan. nothing i hate more. as our billikens.com motto goes, "it is hard work being a billiken fan", casual sports fan want to cruise in when the going goes well and claim they were always there for us as the price tag is still hanging out the back of their new billiken sweatshirt (probably wont even be blue). most of them are the same idiots that would piss us off in the mcgwire years when they flocked to the ball park smoked and drank in the back corridor until mcgwire came up to bat then rush to their seats and obstruct our view and spill their beer on us as they pushed their way back to the seat and took away the open arm rest on the seat next to me. luckily they left the minute he struck out again.

i long ago gave up waiting for the rest of the fans that dont want to pay their dues with a true sports fan relationship. they are nothing but sport fan whores. and i just dont care much for whores. most dont even pay taxes and have no problem taking welfare which i pay for. F em all.

I think this thread is pretty much nonsense. We were playing a good team on the road. The Billikens have been sleeping in hotels for at least a week and were probably fatigued from the previous games. LMU was playing on their home floor and was better rested and it was their night to shoot extremely well. (60% in the second half I think) A lot of the shots they were made were contested so you gotts believe they would not hit those shots every night. When I was watching them off LMU's website I thought the billikens looked gassed in the second half. If SLU was better rested or perhaps were at home, the game would have turned out different. Please remember it is hard for any team to win on the road. It is NEVER a sinch!

they would have said that if we lost in 5 overtimes to Xavier in Cincy. F the st louis casual sports fan. nothing i hate more. as our billikens.com motto goes, "it is hard work being a billiken fan", casual sports fan want to cruise in when the going goes well and claim they were always there for us as the price tag is still hanging out the back of their new billiken sweatshirt (probably wont even be blue). most of them are the same idiots that would piss us off in the mcgwire years when they flocked to the ball park smoked and drank in the back corridor until mcgwire came up to bat then rush to their seats and obstruct our view and spill their beer on us as they pushed their way back to the seat and took away the open arm rest on the seat next to me. luckily they left the minute he struck out again. i long ago gave up waiting for the rest of the fans that dont want to pay their dues with a true sports fan relationship. they are nothing but sport fan whores. and i just dont care much for whores. most dont even pay taxes and have no problem taking welfare which i pay for. F em all.

and the dumb a$$es would all come late and leave early anyway.

Backhand is to blame for not giving enough of the proper supplements to our guys to make up for the genetic differences.

I think kmb is on to something. In an eastern mysticism sort of way, we are the Billikens and the Billikens are us. We are on the court with them. We win with them. We lose with them. And we share in the blame. Yes, we look in the mirror and see that ugly Billiken mascot head staring back at us. But no use all of us take a guilt trip over it. I like the idea of scapegoat. Blackhand can be a candidate. Maybe courtside had something to do with it? Metz snuck into town and was on TV, which makes him a suspect. Billikenroy is also a strong candidate for scapegoat. It just might be that Billikenroy put some bad juju karma on the team because too much good press was raining down on Rick after we cracked the top 25. Yes, if we open our eyes there is a scapegoat among us.

F the st louis casual sports fan. nothing i hate more. as our billikens.com motto goes, "it is hard work being a billiken fan", casual sports fan want to cruise in when the going goes well and claim they were always there for us as the price tag is still hanging out the back of their new billiken sweatshirt (probably wont even be blue). most of them are the same idiots that would piss us off in the mcgwire years when they flocked to the ball park smoked and drank in the back corridor until mcgwire came up to bat then rush to their seats and obstruct our view and spill their beer on us as they pushed their way back to the seat and took away the open arm rest on the seat next to me. luckily they left the minute he struck out again.

i long ago gave up waiting for the rest of the fans that dont want to pay their dues with a true sports fan relationship. they are nothing but sport fan whores. and i just dont care much for whores. most dont even pay taxes and have no problem taking welfare which i pay for. F em all.

Ahhh. Enjoying the return of the real BRoy. Love your recent posts. Keep them coming.

PS The bandwagon followers or casual fan will never know the thrill and joy of looking up from their seats and the feeling of excitement while watching the Savvis workers taking off the tarps for the rooftop/behind the basket seats in '93 when we were in the middle of our 14-0 run... 12,400 season ticket holders... sellouts and/or near sellouts in a venue holding 18,000+... being toward the top of attendance nationally... These crowds and success was great; however, at the same time, I did miss the intimate crowd of loyal fans in the old Kiel... walking up and down the old Kiel ramps and through the dimly lit concourses... running into the many regular and loyal fans during half-time. Watching Grawer rebuild the program with guys from Dale Renkin and Redditt Hudson to Al Matin and Tony Brown, to Roder to Mimlitz and then finally to Douglas and Gray followed by Bonner... Smaller victories and triumphs before watching X ruin yet another season. The whole rebuilding with Spoonball, promises of a Top 50 program, talk of an on-campus arena and the NCAA appearances before the loss of Romar, the fall to the A10, the regression under Doug Woolard, the stalled arena project and the embarrasment to Levick during the firing of Brad. Now the rebuilding under RM. No way do the bandwagon followers enjoy the victories (like the 76 Classic) like we do.

Ahhh. Enjoying the return of the real BRoy. Love your recent posts. Keep them coming.

PS The bandwagon followers or casual fan will never know the thrill and joy of looking up from their seats and the feeling of excitement while watching the Savvis workers taking off the tarps for the rooftop/behind the basket seats in '93 when we were in the middle of our 14-0 run... 12,400 season ticket holders... sellouts and/or near sellouts in a venue holding 18,000+... being toward the top of attendance nationally... These crowds and success was great; however, at the same time, I did miss the intimate crowd of loyal fans in the old Kiel... walking up and down the old Kiel ramps and through the dimly lit concourses... running into the many regular and loyal fans during half-time. Watching Grawer rebuild the program with guys from Dale Renkin and Redditt Hudson to Al Matin and Tony Brown, to Roder to Mimlitz and then finally to Douglas and Gray followed by Bonner... Smaller victories and triumphs before watching X ruin yet another season. The whole rebuilding with Spoonball, promises of a Top 50 program, talk of an on-campus arena and the NCAA appearances before the loss of Romar, the fall to the A10, the regression under Doug Woolard, the stalled arena project and the embarrasment to Levick during the firing of Brad. Now the rebuilding under RM. No way do the bandwagon followers enjoy the victories (like the 76 Classic) like we do.

Oh yeah, Al-Matiin ! We could sure use him to corral some rebounds now. He could really get up in the ozone as I recall.

I blame the coaching staff.

1. The scheduling was not in our favor; although it did make financial sense to play this game.

2. The coaches must do something to make sure that an entire team doesn't come out flat. They have to push the right buttons in order to keep the team focused. These young guys are impressionable and you have to guide them along. There is some subtle (or not so subtle) psychology that coaches must employ.

However, perhaps this loss is just the best thing for SLU this season. They got full of themselves, checking out the rankings thinking they would spank LMU. Well it didn't happen. A valuable lesson was learned 100% intensity and effort is needed each night. The team must play within it's game. It is better this loss happens now and the lesson is learned instead of in the Sweet 16 when the team is all proud of themselves for making it that far. So maybe Coach Majerus let it happen. A loss to LMU on the road is not so bad they are a good team, I think. I'd have rather continued undefeated for another 38 games but I'll live.

I see a lot of posts on this board about how hard it is to be a Billiken Fan. These kind of posts make it difficult to follow this board. How many different ways can people on this board tear down the 6-1 start. What a Joke. I believe Indiana was the last undefeated team and that was 1976. If you honestly thought this team would not lose a few this year then you were dilusional. Best teams in the country usually have 3 to 5 losses when the season is over and one is usually what would be considered a bad loss which a loss to LMU was not that bad. C'mon support these guys and stop pointing fingers. They will be just fine. I am worried about some of you though.

+ 1 gazillion. Well said Roy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you in a way but I want to see The Fetz sold out on a nightly basis. I want to hear it when its filled to capacity every game. I want A wednesday night game against Harris Stowe to draw 8000+ and that isnt going to happen without the casual fans.

The only way to get new die hard fans is to bring in new/casual fans.

And lets face it, our die hards are getting ready to die off pretty soon.

Just look at the Rams, when they were winning the Dome was one of the hardest places to play. Now, with only the die hards left, every team wants to come in and get an easy W.

Die hards are there every game.

Casual fans sell the place out.

We want the casual fans, but sometimes even if they fill seats they don't get loud and raucous. The solution is to make new real fans. Gotta get 'em while they're young. And hopefully we can get more students out there. This board is kind of a microcosm. There are a lot of new names on here I've never seen before the UW game. Winning works miracles.

This game really summed up what this team is like.

We are a smart hustle team. We do not have a rebounding advantage. We really on not having turn overs and on shooting a good percentage. However, when we are tired, we have too many turnovers and we can miss shots. Look at Jett's drives to the hoop, if he wasn't tired those are 3 point plays. So that is it, we cannot have turnovers and shoot an average or bad percentage. We can have one or the other, but not both at the same time.

That and LMU is a decent team that played out of its mind in the second half.

We want the casual fans, but sometimes even if they fill seats they don't get loud and raucous. The solution is to make new real fans. Gotta get 'em while they're young. And hopefully we can get more students out there. This board is kind of a microcosm. There are a lot of new names on here I've never seen before the UW game. Winning works miracles.

+infinity. Well said. The solution is simple. Keep pounding teams until they have to take notice.

So we can only celebrate the team we can never be critical of failure? I'm pumped about being 6-1 but it is the nature of message boards to dissect every detail. The reasons we are good and the reasons we are bad. I started a thread after the first few games about the beautiful execution of the team in those games and the balance. They lost a game so this thread is critical.

I fully expected Majerus to be able to push all the right buttons and keep the team motivated going into this game and I was severely disappointed when it didn't happen. However, like I also stated in the OP there maybe a silver lining to losing now.

I see a lot of posts on this board about how hard it is to be a Billiken Fan. These kind of posts make it difficult to follow this board. How many different ways can people on this board tear down the 6-1 start. What a Joke. I believe Indiana was the last undefeated team and that was 1976. If you honestly thought this team would not lose a few this year then you were dilusional. Best teams in the country usually have 3 to 5 losses when the season is over and one is usually what would be considered a bad loss which a loss to LMU was not that bad. C'mon support these guys and stop pointing fingers. They will be just fine. I am worried about some of you though.

So we can only celebrate the team we can never be critical of failure? I'm pumped about being 6-1 but it is the nature of message boards to dissect every detail. The reasons we are good and the reasons we are bad. I started a thread after the first few games about the beautiful execution of the team in those games and the balance. They lost a game so this thread is critical.

I fully expected Majerus to be able to push all the right buttons and keep the team motivated going into this game and I was severely disappointed when it didn't happen. However, like I also stated in the OP there maybe a silver lining to losing now.

No offense intended Bomb. Just kind of frustrated with all the negtivity in the last couple of days over the loss. It was a bit momore harsh from some than basketball criticism. I guarantee those kids hurt way more than any one on this board losing that game. They played their guts out and left it all on the floor winning the tournament. Anyone that watched the feed of the LMU game saw a dead legged team running on empty in the second half. It cannot be used as an excuse but it was just a fact. To compair lets look at Dayton. They beat Minnesota by 16 to win their tournament and then comes home and loses on their own floor by 29 to BUFFALO. Really Buffalo by 29????? LMU not so bad really.

It's hard being a Billiken fan goes way back, BBallfan, and has no bearing on what this team is doing. As it's been said many times before, if God said prior to the season's start, I'm gonna let you guys go 6-1 in your first seven games, we'd all be in Church today offering devotions of thank yous. It's the many years before this one that has hardened us. The years when we were putting our hopes on guys named Obi and Horace. Or hoping Brad Soderberg was saving all those scholies for the next Caremlo or LeBron. Or having last season trashed by a Kangaroo court stacked with femi-nazis. Trust me, if we ever did a post listing the reasons why it was hard to be a Billiken fan, Steve's server couldn't maintain the pace. The board would crash.

No offense intended Bomb. Just kind of frustrated with all the negtivity in the last couple of days over the loss. It was a bit momore harsh from some than basketball criticism. I guarantee those kids hurt way more than any one on this board losing that game. They played their guts out and left it all on the floor winning the tournament. Anyone that watched the feed of the LMU game saw a dead legged team running on empty in the second half. It cannot be used as an excuse but it was just a fact. To compair lets look at Dayton. They beat Minnesota by 16 to win their tournament and then comes home and loses on their own floor by 29 to BUFFALO. Really Buffalo by 29????? LMU not so bad really.

Grow up and learn to handle a little criticism. Are you suggesting effort should be counted instead of wins? If so, convince the NCAA Committee first. Sorry but "dead legged team running on empty" is an excuse.

Also, don't offend me and our team with comparisons to UD. We have higher standards this year. Yes, there are probably 300 other schools who are worse than SLU but this is our year. No excuses. The LMU game will hopefully be a learning experience. I, for one, am still excited and looking forward to Portland.