Who Is to Blame for the Loss?

TheA_Bomb

I blame the coaching staff.

1. The scheduling was not in our favor; although it did make financial sense to play this game.

2. The coaches must do something to make sure that an entire team doesn't come out flat. They have to push the right buttons in order to keep the team focused. These young guys are impressionable and you have to guide them along. There is some subtle (or not so subtle) psychology that coaches must employ.

However, perhaps this loss is just the best thing for SLU this season. They got full of themselves, checking out the rankings thinking they would spank LMU. Well it didn't happen. A valuable lesson was learned 100% intensity and effort is needed each night. The team must play within it's game. It is better this loss happens now and the lesson is learned instead of in the Sweet 16 when the team is all proud of themselves for making it that far. So maybe Coach Majerus let it happen. A loss to LMU on the road is not so bad they are a good team, I think. I'd have rather continued undefeated for another 38 games but I'll live.

Who is to blame?

The team. Period. End of story.

They had a chance to put them away in the first half. Up by 12 (possibly 10) and the let LMU get it to within 4 by half.

If they pile on there a different LM team comes out the second half.

The way it turned out LM came out with momentum and confidence.

This is still a young team and hopefully they learn not to let up from this. They learn to pile on and go for the throat.

Its a minor set back but one they will use as motivation going forward.

Ever do something that after the fact you say,it should have been obvious that was a bad idea? Scheduling that game at the end of that trip was a bad idea. I'm disappointed they didn't find a way to grind it out, but in hindsight we should have come home after the 76 Classic. Let's also not forget, that a week ago last Sunday if someone had told you the Bills would go 4-1 in their next 5 we all would have been thrilled. All is not lost.

I'm amazed how many amateur psychologists and chicken littles there are on this site in search of the almighty reason(s) for this "world is ending" loss.

These are college kids who have been on the road for 9 days and were playing their 4th game in 6 days AND coming off a very emotional tournament victory which resulted in some newly found popularity and media attention. This was new found territory for ALL of them.

It's very common for professional teams to have a let down in this situation so I don't think we should be searching to hard for reasons that these 18-21 year olds had an off night. Heck, I'm dragging after a 4 day business trip.

We'll learn a lot more about our 2011-12 Billikens when we see how they come out on Saturday. They should have payback on their minds.

I blame the coaching staff.

1. The scheduling was not in our favor; although it did make financial sense to play this game.

2. The coaches must do something to make sure that an entire team doesn't come out flat. They have to push the right buttons in order to keep the team focused. These young guys are impressionable and you have to guide them along. There is some subtle (or not so subtle) psychology that coaches must employ.

However, perhaps this loss is just the best thing for SLU this season. They got full of themselves, checking out the rankings thinking they would spank LMU. Well it didn't happen. A valuable lesson was learned 100% intensity and effort is needed each night. The team must play within it's game. It is better this loss happens now and the lesson is learned instead of in the Sweet 16 when the team is all proud of themselves for making it that far. So maybe Coach Majerus let it happen. A loss to LMU on the road is not so bad they are a good team, I think. I'd have rather continued undefeated for another 38 games but I'll live.

Typical A-Bomb anti Majerus nonsense. (# 1 was a pump fake, he really just wanted to get to # 2.)

14 pt favorite New Orlean Saints lost to the Rams in letdown, do you blame their coach? Write him up!

Ever do something that after the fact you say,it should have been obvious that was a bad idea? Scheduling that game at the end of that trip was a bad idea. I'm disappointed they didn't find a way to grind it out, but in hindsight we should have come home after the 76 Classic. Let's also not forget, that a week ago last Sunday if someone had told you the Bills would go 4-1 in their next 5 we all would have been thrilled. All is not lost.

+1

The parents of the Loyola Marymount team are too blame for giving their kids the gene that allowed their players to be quicker and jump higher than our players.

while i never want to lose. and while i am very disappointed we did, count me in the minority vote of liking the scheduling of last night's game. sure short term, it sucked. probably took us out of the rankings and we may never get back, however 3 reasons it was good imo:

1. do whatever we have to do to get home and aways. i would assume that loyola marymount called the shot on this game and of course we return the favor of dictating next year. the less buy games we have the better.

2. we only had to pay for one west coast travel trip. we all know slu athletic budget is strained. scheduling this game for later or earlier and incurring a second cost would have only cost us for something else down the road.

3. if we expect to ever go further in the ncaa tourney than a game or two, this team needs to learn how to live out of a duffle bag and hotel room and maintain. in hindsight they know what they did that might have spent energy that would have been better spent on the court last night and maybe they dont make that mistake in March now.

too bad we lost, learn and move on.

Does anyone know how long and hard they practiced on Monday / Tuesday, if at all? Just curious as we appeared to lack the energy and crispness we saw in the previous games.

Yeah, it is nice being ranked until Monday, but it's always supposed to be about the next game. The rankings will take care of themselves. Loyola's the culprit here. They beat us because 1.) they've got talent, 2.) they were exceptionally lucky on some of those 1 second shots 3.) and we didn't play like we did the previous 4 games. I thought we might be in trouble after about the 4th straight turnover after getting up by 12.

I'm not anti-Majerus. I lauded the coaches and the team for the beautiful execution to start the season. I'm just critiquing what happened and how it happened.

I agree with B-Roy on some levels this team, if it is to go deep in the tourney, must be tough and able to play away from home.

I also agree with the others that say LMU beat us. I think they are a good team and look like they will be headed to a post season tournament. However, I don't think they are a better team and SLU should have won.

while i never want to lose. and while i am very disappointed we did, count me in the minority vote of liking the scheduling of last night's game. sure short term, it sucked. probably took us out of the rankings and we may never get back, however 3 reasons it was good imo:

1. do whatever we have to do to get home and aways. i would assume that loyola marymount called the shot on this game and of course we return the favor of dictating next year. the less buy games we have the better.

2. we only had to pay for one west coast travel trip. we all know slu athletic budget is strained. scheduling this game for later or earlier and incurring a second cost would have only cost us for something else down the road.

3. if we expect to ever go further in the ncaa tourney than a game or two, this team needs to learn how to live out of a duffle bag and hotel room and maintain. in hindsight they know what they did that might have spent energy that would have been better spent on the court last night and maybe they dont make that mistake in March now.

too bad we lost, learn and move on.

+1. Great post.

Does anyone know how long and hard they practiced on Monday / Tuesday, if at all? Just curious as we appeared to lack the energy and crispness we saw in the previous games.

this is a good question. we all know rickma's love of the all out 27 hour a day practices. that said, i doubt it. i would be intrigued by a accurate diary of our players whereabouts and excursions from the point the clock ran out in the OU game until game time last night. as Taj kind of pointed out in another thread, there is an art to living on the road. all of it takes a toll. eating, entertainment, sleeping habits and of course study time and practice time. there is a reason we all say after a trip, "i need a vacation from my vacation". again, it all is a learning experience and i hope our team learned.

North Carolina lost the other night. Duke got goddam blown out, won The Maui, then in a clear letdown situation, they were travel weary and ran into a buzzsaw, OSU was fresh and waiting for them.

I had hoped we could be good enough to overcome the letdown and the weariness, and the fact that Loyola was a decent team and we had to play in a hostile gym with hostile fans (76 Classic was neutral court).

But we couldn't.

Winning the 76 was HUGE for us, but we wont be ranked after this.

We have established that we are a good club but should we be ranked? TO get there, we need to start over, we need to prove it.