Unbelievably stupid--bad playing by a supposed good team!

Billikan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy, NH, you're talking about a guy who is Mr. Billiken Ball. I feel his pain, but am totally surprised by his apocalyptic take on this one game. Normally, he'd be the guy saying chill, it's one friggin' game. I'm guessing our brief trip to the mountain top, #23 ranking, has left Billikan a little oxygen deprived. He'll come to his senses soon enough and accept this L for what it was; a road loss to a pretty good team that got damnably lucky last night.

I should have waited 24 hours to post about this game. I was going insane watching it on my computer with a small picture and LMU slugs who kept complaining they never got any calls! Everyone makes good points about the long trip, etc. LMU played the game of a lifetime on offense for many of their players and shot the heck out of the ball, particularly from the free throw line. I am so used to seeing our guards frustrate talented guards on other teams it just amazed me that we did not defend well. Unfortunately, we now have to climb the mountain again and I felt like we just spent years climbing and we only got to see the sunshine for about 5 minutes! The Portland game is huge in terms of our fans, the media and the psyche of the team. We really need to bounce back and play a very good game. We owe them big time from last year and I hope everyone remembers how they dominated us. Go Bills!

Look, We'll be ranked before the NM game if we win the next 6. Write it down, say Skip said it's fact, therefor it is fact. Hell, I won't be surprised if we're ranked at 9-1 or 10-1.

Why, because the people doing the rankings don't study anything. They will remember we beat Wash, Nova, and OU due to all the ESPN press. RM gives us a bit of name recognition, they know he's the coach ... they'll see 9-1 and put us 22, 23, maybe 24

I should have waited 24 hours to post about this game. I was going insane watching it on my computer with a small picture and LMU slugs who kept complaining they never got any calls! Everyone makes good points about the long trip, etc. LMU played the game of a lifetime on offense for many of their players and shot the heck out of the ball, particularly from the free throw line. I am so used to seeing our guards frustrate talented guards on other teams it just amazed me that we did not defend well. Unfortunately, we now have to climb the mountain again and I felt like we just spent years climbing and we only got to see the sunshine for about 5 minutes! The Portland game is huge in terms of our fans, the media and the psyche of the team. We really need to bounce back and play a very good game. We owe them big time from last year and I hope everyone remembers how they dominated us. Go Bills!

I totally understand. I feel the same way. At least we are ranked until Monday so enjoy the next 5 days.

It is hard to go from the euphoria of kicking BCS asš with authority to watching our Jr. Bills show up and lay a turd on the court. The floor of my mouth is raw from all the nitroglycerin I was taking during the game. Saturday couldn't come soon enough. I would hate to be Portland come Saturday. Remember, to be successful you have to have a short term memory when I comes to your failures. Let's move on out, platoon.

I was extremely worried about this "trap game." They were waiting to beat us and we did not seem to either have our legs or motivation after such a huge performance in the 76 tourney. Let's not forget this LMU team beat UCLA so they are not chopped liver. It's darn hard to beat good teams in their crib...did anyone see what The Ohio State did to the almighty Duke last night? I believe 4 days in 6 nights also had something to do with last nights performance. Heck we had 11 TO's in the 1st half alone and were winning at the end of the half...I did have a sinking feeling that my fears were about to come to fruition when we had a double digit lead melted down to 4 points. Time to start another streak on Saturday night and I hope our team has a really good and loud crowd. I purchased my tix for the Dec. 27th game and will be making my first trip to Chaifetz. Now if someone can only order up some decent weather. Let's Go Bills!!!

What, were we going to go undefeated? Sometimes you lose games you shouldn't on the road. Why do you think Syracuse never leaves the state of New York to play a non conference road game-because you stand a chance of losing to anybody. So we schedule a game across the country on the tail end of four games in six days. I say it's the best thing that could happen to this team; they know that they're good, but it's always good to remember that if you don't completely sell out, and bust ass on every possession, you can lose to anyone. They should be breathing fire on Saturday night, and every game the rest of the month at home, and when they go to the pit they will be ready. I think more than anything we should all give a tip of the cap to LMU, whose coach was spot on great and whose players missed almost nothing the entire second half.

This loss was probably much tougher on fans like us than it was on the team. We've been living and dying with the Billikens for decades, and haven't had a national ranking in 17,or so, years, just to lose it (maybe) in one day!

But, in the big picture, it's not that bad. Sure, it ruins our perfect season, but the Billikens are still going to the Big Dance with, I predict, no worse than a 6th seeding. I'm sure Coach Majerus will use the game as a teachable moment, and the team will benefit from it in the end.

I didn't have the same sentiments about an hour ago, though. I was at the game, and sat behind the Billikens bench with about 30 other SLU fans. When time expired, we all sat silently in disbelief. I made an excuse for my tears to my allergy to left coast liberalism, but even Obamacare didn't make me blubber like I did tonight.

Finally, I'd like to give a shout-out to Tariq, at the 7-11 on Lincoln Blvd; right outside of the LMU campus. Evidently, he noticed my distraught appearance when he refused to sell me a pack of razor blades. I guess this bottle of MD 20/20 will have to do.

-welcome or welcome back

Are you smoking something in St. Louis other than sausages?

Beat LMU 9 out of 10? Maybe a split!

Bad refs, tired legs, need to get home to mama - - - all excuses that good, tournament quality teams do not make. Why so little recognition that LMU is a good team that will probably finish in the middle of a strong WCC conference.

PLUS - There has been no mention that LMU played the entire game without it's two top starters/scorers/rebounders, Drew Viney and Ashley Hamilton, who won't be ready for a couple of weeks minimum due to injuries. We didn't attribute our losses to Harvard and Middle Tennessee State (check their RPI's in case you doubt their quality) to not having Hamilton and Viney. We just say that we lost to better teams that night.

Finally, if you put any faith in RM, which you should, read what he says about the game. Quick summary, "We got beat."

With your talent and coaching, you should be looking at an NCAA tourney berth come March. We'll be cheering you on and remembering a quality win.

No, it won't. That was a bad loss. Oh well,time to pound Portland.

Anything outside the Top 50 to me is a bad loss. So take that for what it's worth.

I would say anything out of the top 75 at HOME is a bad loss. I would say top 50 but every year there are at least 2-3 at-large teams that get in with an RPI worse than 50. As for road losses, the committee won't consider a loss to a team with an RPI better than 100 a 'bad loss'.

By the end of the season, LMU should have 20+ wins and an RPI better than 100. Their win against UCLA on the road, as well as against SLU at home, will help push their RPI into the CBI/NIT range. While UCLA looks bad now (2-4) they will recover and still be a factor in the Pac-12. When they do, it will greatly increase LMU's resume. Also, they play in a decent conference (WCC) that will be more than a one-bid conference. That will also help their RPI throughout the season.

If you want to consider it a bad loss personally, that is fine. However, when it is said and done, the committee won't look at this as a black eye on SLU's resume. And that is really what matters. So the best thing now is for us to be hopeful that LMU goes on to have the kind of season they are capable of.

I would say anything out of the top 75 at HOME is a bad loss. I would say top 50 but every year there are at least 2-3 at-large teams that get in with an RPI worse than 50. As for road losses, the committee won't consider a loss to a team with an RPI better than 100 a 'bad loss'.

By the end of the season, LMU should have 20+ wins and an RPI better than 100. Their win against UCLA on the road, as well as against SLU at home, will help push their RPI into the CBI/NIT range. While UCLA looks bad now (2-4) they will recover and still be a factor in the Pac-12. When they do, it will greatly increase LMU's resume. Also, they play in a decent conference (WCC) that will be more than a one-bid conference. That will also help their RPI throughout the season.

If you want to consider it a bad loss personally, that is fine. However, when it is said and done, the committee won't look at this as a black eye on SLU's resume. And that is really what matters. So the best thing now is for us to be hopeful that LMU goes on to have the kind of season they are capable of.

If LMU gets up towards the top of the WCC, it may not be as bad as I think. I hope they win 25 games as well.

Are you smoking something in St. Louis other than sausages?

Beat LMU 9 out of 10? Maybe a split!

Bad refs, tired legs, need to get home to mama - - - all excuses that good, tournament quality teams do not make. Why so little recognition that LMU is a good team that will probably finish in the middle of a strong WCC conference.

PLUS - There has been no mention that LMU played the entire game without it's two top starters/scorers/rebounders, Drew Viney and Ashley Hamilton, who won't be ready for a couple of weeks minimum due to injuries. We didn't attribute our losses to Harvard and Middle Tennessee State (check their RPI's in case you doubt their quality) to not having Hamilton and Viney. We just say that we lost to better teams that night.

Finally, if you put any faith in RM, which you should, read what he says about the game. Quick summary, "We got beat."

With your talent and coaching, you should be looking at an NCAA tourney berth come March. We'll be cheering you on and remembering a quality win.

FYI- I follow the WCC closer than Average Joe fan. LMU, although it has a good team, is not yet in the upper echelon of the WCC. That's the province of Gonzaga. Next in order come St. Mary's, Santa Clara, USF, and perhaps newcomer BYU. I have read some talk about LMU being picked 2nd in the WCC this season. But frankly, I'll believe that when I see it.

LMU underachieved last year when it was supposed to be better. LMU has talent, no question about that. But LMU will need to show it in conference play, where it whiffed badly last year, and where it has failed in other recent seasons.

Since LMU is a SLU opponent this season, we hope that LMU does play up to its expectations and potential, but there is recent history to the contrary.

As for your WCC refs, WCC refs is about all that even needs to be said. What was the old line about Friday night in the WCC? Those WCC zebras Tuesday night did all in their power to aid the LMU cause, and you know it. Frankly, it is a given when you go into these de facto slightly overgrown high school WCC gyms and play 5 on 8. But I emphasize, and I said it Wed. morning, SLU did not lose this game because of the refs. Repeat- SLU did not lose the game because of the refs.

And yes, 9 out of 10 is an opinion, but remains the opinion. Split- No way. We are talking about a SLU team that has beaten Washington, Villanova, and Oklahoma.

It was a tough loss for SLU. The stars aligned for LMU on this one night. Ireland's shot clock expiration circus shots went in on Tuesday night, as did others. But one game, in LMU's gym, does not mean LMU is better than SLU. Obviously, that is not the case, not even close to the case.

Understand, Billikan. I wanted to hurl my laptop out the window after the 4th straight TO and saw our 12 pt lead melting away faster than an ice cube in you know where. When we went ahead by 12 I was thinking, "ok, you've worked out the kinks and are back to being the 76 classic champs." Alas, not to be. Then in the second half when LMU just kept pounding the boards and making some unbeliveable shots I resigned myself to, this ain't gonna end well. I don't think that mountain will be as high as it was 4 weeks ago. We go on a tear and go to UNM at 12-1 we might be sniffing that rare air again. A lot of teams that are in our position, ie mid majors, newbies, and the not so great among BCS'ers that are currently undefeated or have 1 or 2 losses might not have played the kind of schedule we have so far. And when all is said and done it's not where we're ranked today but where we're at come late February. I tend to agree with RM that there was some subliminal complacency going into the LMU game, but let's not make excuses, we simply got beat. And in defeat there are more lessons to be learned than in victory. Hopefully, our guys have heeded them well. It does look like I'm finally gonna make my initial visit to the Fetz for the Temple game. I expect the place will be rocking and rolling in a sea of blue or white. Hope we can get together for a pre or post game beer.

It was a tough loss for SLU. The stars aligned for LMU on this one night. Ireland's shot clock expiration circus shots went in on Tuesday night, as did others. But one game, in LMU's gym, does not mean LMU is better than SLU. Obviously, that is not the case, not even close to the case.

Yeah. Get ya some o' that, oldestlion!

Understand, Billikan. I wanted to hurl my laptop out the window after the 4th straight TO and saw our 12 pt lead melting away faster than an ice cube in you know where. When we went ahead by 12 I was thinking, "ok, you've worked out the kinks and are back to being the 76 classic champs." Alas, not to be. Then in the second half when LMU just kept pounding the boards and making some unbeliveable shots I resigned myself to, this ain't gonna end well. I don't think that mountain will be as high as it was 4 weeks ago. We go on a tear and go to UNM at 12-1 we might be sniffing that rare air again. A lot of teams that are in our position, ie mid majors, newbies, and the not so great among BCS'ers that are currently undefeated or have 1 or 2 losses might not have played the kind of schedule we have so far. And when all is said and done it's not where we're ranked today but where we're at come late February. I tend to agree with RM that there was some subliminal complacency going into the LMU game, but let's not make excuses, we simply got beat. And in defeat there are more lessons to be learned than in victory. Hopefully, our guys have heeded them well. It does look like I'm finally gonna make my initial visit to the Fetz for the Temple game. I expect the place will be rocking and rolling in a sea of blue or white. Hope we can get together for a pre or post game beer.

You will love your visit to the Fetz. It is a fantastic basketball venue! The crowd and the band will be rocking for the Temple game.

You will love your visit to the Fetz. It is a fantastic basketball venue! The crowd and the band will be rocking for the Temple game.

Yeah. Get ya some o' that, oldestlion!

If LMU gets up towards the top of the WCC, it may not be as bad as I think. I hope they win 25 games as well.

We're predicted to finish 6th in the WCC and there is no way we'll get 20 wins, We still have to play two each against Gonzaga, St. Mary's BYU and the rest of the WCC,, have a tough road trip to Florida State and a Bracketbuster game against someone probably good. That means 15 out of 20 before the WCC Tournament. Even with circus shots, bad refs and taking advantage of tired teams, that's tough to do. And, as your posts continue to ingnore, we'll still have a tough time until we get our two top players back into the lineup.

If you put any credence in Sagarin (Las Vegas smart money does), the WCC moved up to #10 in conference ranking, only 2,98 points behiind your tough group. Sagarin ranks Portland below us as of today so you should have no trouble considering they won't make circus shots, have the benefit of WCC refs and you won't be tired.

Finally, do you think sophomore Anthony Ireland could start in your conference? Would RM like to have him?

Finally, do you think sophomore Anthony Ireland could start in your conference? Would RM like to have him?

Depends, did he learn those trick shots before or after entering your Pavilion? If they come with, we'll take him.

You guys beat us, and I hope you have a good season, but no part of me thinks you're a better team, with or without your injured players. In 48 hours we'll be preparing to stomp the shitting out of Portland and we can finally stop talking about this game.

Good luck this year.

We're predicted to finish 6th in the WCC and there is no way we'll get 20 wins, We still have to play two each against Gonzaga, St. Mary's BYU and the rest of the WCC,, have a tough road trip to Florida State and a Bracketbuster game against someone probably good. That means 15 out of 20 before the WCC Tournament. Even with circus shots, bad refs and taking advantage of tired teams, that's tough to do. And, as your posts continue to ingnore, we'll still have a tough time until we get our two top players back into the lineup.

If you put any credence in Sagarin (Las Vegas smart money does), the WCC moved up to #10 in conference ranking, only 2,98 points behiind your tough group. Sagarin ranks Portland below us as of today so you should have no trouble considering they won't make circus shots, have the benefit of WCC refs and you won't be tired.

Ireland would start on some A-10 teams, but not for SLU or Xavier this year. This being said, he played a great game against SLU, and SLU could surely find a place for him.

I am aware LMU had 2 key players out, one 6'7" and the other 6'8". But LMU received an unexpected huge contribution from #12 LaRon Armstead, a 6'5" Senior.

I'm familiar with St. Mary's, Santa Clara, and USF, went to a number of USF games last season, and also saw SMC and SCU several times. If LMU plays in WCC play like it did against SLU, LMU can certainly play with those 3 teams. Even Gonzaga is not invincible, especially on the road. After seeing Tuesday night's game, I think LMU is closer to the WCC teams perceived to be above it, as opposed to the 3 thought to be below it. Thus, LMU has a chance to have a very good season, with a shot at post-season play, probably CBI/CIT material because the NIT is a much tougher nut to crack than it used to be.

Dude, I get it. LMU is missing two guys and won fair and square. No excuses, your guys scored more points than ours did. I hate losing to the point where I believe losing to Kentucky at Rupp is a bad loss too. Good luck to the Lions the rest of the way.

Dude, I get it. LMU is missing two guys and won fair and square. No excuses, your guys scored more points than ours did. I hate losing to the point where I believe losing to Kentucky at Rupp is a bad loss too. Good luck to the Lions the rest of the way.

I think we'll beat some good teams along the way and since St. Louis wii be ranked so high, maybe get some type of tournament bid.

We've discussed this one enough. Good luck against Portland but you know I have to go with the WCC. Beat everyone else.

Over and out.