Unbelievably stupid--bad playing by a supposed good team!

Billikan

I deleted my original post! It was not productive and I should heed my own words a see the glass as half full! I got caught up in the frenzy and the hope for a really special season where we might be ranked for months and ultimately get a high enough seed in the big dance that we would be playing a seed lower ranked than we were. We definitely can still make the NCAA tournament but we need to stop the bleeding this weekend and pound on Portland! Go Bills!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As good as the previous 6 games were--this is probably one of the most depressing losses in all of my time as a Billiken fan. Our team, particularly our starting guards, Mitchell and Cassidy, played stupid horrible defense and our bad shot selection and sloppy ball handling was absolutely incredibly awful. I would have never believed that we could be that bad on both ends of the floor. Our energy was bad, our hustle was basically nonexistant. The only thing I can figure is that all of the press coverage, rankings, etc. went to our head and we forgot how we won those games, with intelligence and tenacity. We will never see a ranking again. I am really pissed!!!!!!!!

Expresses everything I wanted to say.

Very frustrating loss on so many levels. And depressing for us long time fans. Hopefully this loss won't destroy our RPI too much with a bunch of cupcake RPI killers coming up. We looked tired and LMU had a freakishly good shooting night. Tough loss that should not have occurred. Need to rip off a long winning streak prior to the start of the a-10 season, which I believe is doable.

As good as the previous 6 games were--this is probably one of the most depressing losses in all of my time as a Billiken fan. Our team, particularly our starting guards, Mitchell and Cassidy, played stupid horrible defense and our bad shot selection and sloppy ball handling was absolutely incredibly awful. I would have never believed that we could be that bad on both ends of the floor. Our energy was bad, our hustle was basically nonexistant. The only thing I can figure is that all of the press coverage, rankings, etc. went to our head and we forgot how we won those games, with intelligence and tenacity. We will never see a ranking again. I am really pissed!!!!!!!!

Hey, I am upset too. But don't think that it is all pissed away with this one loss. Seriously, this is more of a bad situation than anything. This was SLU's 4th game in 6 days away from the 'Fetz. If we go undefeated until New Mexico (very, very likely), then all is not lost. Can you imagine going into the non-conf season with just one or two losses? No way we are just completely decimated from the rankings, right? Yes, it was a bad loss. Yes, we should be upset about it. But, it was also a loss that seemed inevitable. We won against 4 BCS teams in a fricking row! By double digits! Bad losses occur, and they occur to good teams. We just have to deal with it!

Exactly. Calm down, people. Who among you thought we'd be 6-1 at this point? Really? And those that did, it's just not the 6-1 you expected. Four games in seven days? Seriously? Freaking Xavier -- hell, freaking Duke -- would have gone 3-1 in that stretch.

For all those folks who don't show up for the Portland game because of this, screw 'em. (Editor's note: I had a previously scheduled engagement in NYC. Eat at Per Se/Cancel trip to stay home for Billiken game. You make the call.) We're freaking 6-1. We're coming home. Support the kids and shut the F up!!!

Hey, I am upset too. But don't think that it is all pissed away with this one loss. Seriously, this is more of a bad situation than anything. This was SLU's 4th game in 6 days away from the 'Fetz. If we go undefeated until New Mexico (very, very likely), then all is not lost. Can you imagine going into the non-conf season with just one or two losses? No way we are just completely decimated from the rankings, right? Yes, it was a bad loss. Yes, we should be upset about it. But, it was also a loss that seemed inevitable. We won against 4 BCS teams in a fricking row! By double digits! Bad losses occur, and they occur to good teams. We just have to deal with it!

We won't sniff the rankings again until the A-10 season. And even then we will need to win a few games. That's the most frustrating part. We just needed to get through this game to remain in the spotlight. And regardless what you may say, that is hugely important for the program and for the University. So upsetting.

While I disagree with the OP in regards to rankings-- we will be ranked again at some point this year (I hope)-- I feel your pain. I feel like the guys worked so hard and had to fight for respect just to get in to the Top 25, just to blow it on a very winnable game. As a lifelong fan, it is also very disappointing... I've spent too much energy trying to convince friends that SLU is legit just to get the "Mizzou would kill SLU" response.

Again, don't get me wrong, I feel even worse for the players on the team. The refs tonight were just feeding off the love they got from the crowd and they weren't going to give us anything in the last 10 minutes. Still, we looked tired and, as unfortunate as it is to say, uninspired. I do think the ranking might have got to some heads on the team and hopefully losing the ranking will just make them hungrier to get it back.

Go Bills!

Most depressing loss of all time for SLU? So you've only been a SLU fan for a few weeks? There were a bunch of losses just last season that were worse than this. Bowling Green, Austin Peay, La Salle, all at home, just off the top of my head. We played badly but we were never going to go undefeated. We have 6 games in a row that we should dominate, we should be 12-1 going to New Mexico, and we could be ranked again if enough teams ahead of us lose.

We won't sniff the rankings again until the A-10 season. And even then we will need to win a few games. That's the most frustrating part. We just needed to get through this game to remain in the spotlight. And regardless what you may say, that is hugely important for the program and for the University. So upsetting.

I say you're delusional. And I point to the Cardinals' season this year to prove it.

LM showed that they are a real bad team tonight. This is a type of defeat that comes with an invitation to the NIT or worse CBI. I hope I'm wrong but wow this is real bad.

Wrong! SLU is still an NCAA Tournament team, and it's no surprise that they lost a true road "Bracket-Buster" type of game for the hosts.

Has somebody hacked your account. I'm serious someone check into it. If anyone could see the silver lining from this I thought it would be you.

Who says we still won't be ranked? Get a win at home over Portland. I say we'll stay in the rankings.

Hats off to LMU. They had a very good defensive game plan. They were denying the passing lanes, instead of playing the ball. First time we've seen that this year. This was a game where we needed KM's 1 on 1 skills. He's just not there yet.

I say you're delusional. And I point to the Cardinals' season this year to prove it.

that makes absolutely no sense

Anyway..

We all know SLU is a great University and that we have an excellent team, but if we want to elevate the image of the program to a national level, we can't have let downs like these. That is what is so upsetting about this loss. People that no nothing about SLU basketball were texting me about the program before the game noticing that we were ranked. That is what we need. Ugh, this sucks.

Exactly. Calm down, people. Who among you thought we'd be 6-1 at this point? Really? And those that did, it's just not the 6-1 you expected. Four games in seven days? Seriously? Freaking Xavier -- hell, freaking Duke -- would have gone 3-1 in that stretch.

For all those folks who don't show up for the Portland game because of this, screw 'em. (Editor's note: I had a previously scheduled engagement in NYC. Eat at Per Se/Cancel trip to stay home for Billiken game. You make the call.) We're freaking 6-1. We're coming home. Support the kids and shut the F up!!!

I will be at the Portland game just like I always am and will cheer my guts out for our team and out players. But I really thought that if we won this game tonight we had a chance for a real special season because the schedule sets up so well over the next month. The the team that I saw in the exhibitions showed up tonight. Sloppy bad basketball, lazy defense and no hustle for loose balls. Bad shot selection and our leaders in KM and KC played terrible defense against anyone who they guarded. Sure we will win some games and I am always an optimist but this loss really burst my bubble in terms of having a special season. I sure hope I am wrong--By the way, did you hear their coach say on the pregame interview that with a break or two the Bills could go to the Final Four!

Tough game to lose, but a few weeks ago how many people would have accepted that we'd be 6-1 at this point with 4 wins over the "big" conferences? I would have signed in blood for that. Time to put our Pelican's jerseys on and beat Portland.

Agreed, let's take it out on Portland. I hope the boys are hungry to start another winning streak and play like they did against Washington.

All you guys need to know is this...5 of the first 7 games for the Bills were away from the 'Fetz. They went 6-1 in those first 7. If you were told that they would have that record prior to the season starting, along with wins against UW, Nova and OU, then you would have shat yourself in excitement and thought we might even have a chance at being ranked. Well, guess what, that is exactly what happened! We lost a winnable game against a tought opponent who already sent down a PAC-12 preseason favorite on their home court. All is not lost. This is still a very good team, a team that still might win 25+ games and make a run in the NCAA tourney. Get a f'ing hold of yourselves!

Team has to get over this quickly and get ready for Portland. Our weaknesses were exposed tonight in terms of a team with quickness beating us to 50-50 balls, making great steals, and hitting tough shots. They denied Conklin the post, cut down our driving lanes, and recovered to contest threes. As good as we played against Nova and Oklahoma was how good LMU played tonight. The officiating was questionable all game long, worse in the second half.

This loss is tough to accept but I hope our guys learn from it and use it to maintain their focus.

Most depressing loss of all time for SLU? So you've only been a SLU fan for a few weeks? There were a bunch of losses just last season that were worse than this. Bowling Green, Austin Peay, La Salle, all at home, just off the top of my head. We played badly but we were never going to go undefeated. We have 6 games in a row that we should dominate, we should be 12-1 going to New Mexico, and we could be ranked again if enough teams ahead of us lose.

None of those losses came when we were ranked. None of them came when we had tremendous buzz for the program nationally. There is no way we will be ranked again because our SOS goes down big time by the end of the year. If we win all our games and beat Xavier then we will get back to consideration but I very much doubt that will happen. I should not even post at all because I am so disappointed in this team. I really thought we had more toughness and moxie. LMU was playing without two of its best players!

I will be at the Portland game just like I always am and will cheer my guts out for our team and out players. But I really thought that if we won this game tonight we had a chance for a real special season because the schedule sets up so well over the next month. The the team that I saw in the exhibitions showed up tonight. Sloppy bad basketball, lazy defense and no hustle for loose balls. Bad shot selection and our leaders in KM and KC played terrible defense against anyone who they guarded. Sure we will win some games and I am always an optimist but this loss really burst my bubble in terms of having a special season. I sure hope I am wrong--By the way, did you hear their coach say on the pregame interview that with a break or two the Bills could go to the Final Four!

Don't worry, there's still a very high probability that it will be a special season. Yes, even great teams sometimes lose games like this.

That's very true: look at Butler and VCU for evidence.

Team has to get over this quickly and get ready for Portland. Our weaknesses were exposed tonight in terms of a team with quickness beating us to 50-50 balls, making great steals, and hitting tough shots. They denied Conklin the post, cut down our driving lanes, and recovered to contest threes. As good as we played against Nova and Oklahoma was how good LMU played tonight. The officiating was questionable all game long, worse in the second half.

This loss is tough to accept but I hope our guys learn to from it and use it to maintain their focus.

Here is what I will state...a game like this in the Fetz goes SLU's way every time with the same type of score. LMU may not be a great team, but they are a good team. And good teams at home with favorable refs and the crowd on their side will typically win games like this. This game always loomed on the horizon as a loss. The fact that we spanked the other teams by double digits prior to this game should tell us that we have a good team worthy of cheering on. These losses happen, especially on the road against non-conf teams looking for a scalp to add to show the committee come tourney time.