76 Classic Picks

slufan13

8 out of 11 ESPN experts picked SLU to win the 76 Classic this weekend.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/39442/feast-week-predictions-brackets-2

76 Classic (in Anaheim, Calif.)

Tournament Bracket

Bilas: Villanova over New Mexico

Brennan: Saint Louis over New Mexico

Fraschilla: Saint Louis over Oklahoma

Gasaway: Saint Louis over New Mexico

Gottlieb: Saint Louis over New Mexico

Katz: Saint Louis over New Mexico

King: Villanova over Oklahoma

Lunardi: Saint Louis over New Mexico

Medcalf: Saint Louis over Washington State

O’Neil: New Mexico over Villanova

Simon: Saint Louis over New Mexico

Don’t be surprised …

... if a tournament win by the Billikins propels them onto the national scene for the first time since Rick Majerus arrived. This is a very good basketball team. (Fraschilla)

... if a veteran Santa Clara team gives the Lobos all they can handle in the opening game. (O'Neil)

... if teams playing SLU score very few points. Rick Majerus knows a thing or two about defense. In three games, the Billikens have allowed opponents to score just 143 points in 191 possessions. (Gasaway)

... if Steve Alford's Lobos put a recent home loss to New Mexico State behind them with a run to the tourney title game. (Medcalf)

... if Saint Louis upsets Villanova and reaches the final. This is Rick Majerus' best team. (Bilas)

... if New Mexico's lack of point guard experience comes back to haunt the Lobos in the title game. (Gottlieb)

... if the Billikens win this tourney. Rick Majerus is one of the best game-planners in the country, and I should know since he was able to stifle my Arizona team in the 1998 Elite Eight with a triangle-and-2 defense. (Simon)

Awesome, I read that this morning. I really think we can win this. And trying to be positive, if we go 2-1 it's not the worse thing ever. But I also agree, going 3-0 and 6-0 on the year with wins over the likes of Washington, nova, and NM, that's a good look, and gives you sports center time. Going 5-1 then you will still be a team with votes to get in the t25.

http://espn.go.com/b...ions-brackets-2

Tournament Bracket

Don’t be surprised …

... if a tournament win by the Billikins propels them onto the national scene for the first time since Rick Majerus arrived. This is a very good basketball team. (Fraschilla)

... if a veteran Santa Clara team gives the Lobos all they can handle in the opening game. (O'Neil)

... if teams playing SLU score very few points. Rick Majerus knows a thing or two about defense. In three games, the Billikens have allowed opponents to score just 143 points in 191 possessions. (Gasaway)

... if Steve Alford's Lobos put a recent home loss to New Mexico State behind them with a run to the tourney title game. (Medcalf)

... if Saint Louis upsets Villanova and reaches the final. This is Rick Majerus' best team. (Bilas)

... if New Mexico's lack of point guard experience comes back to haunt the Lobos in the title game. (Gottlieb)

... if the Billikens win this tourney. Rick Majerus is one of the best game-planners in the country, and I should know since he was able to stifle my Arizona team in the 1998 Elite Eight with a triangle-and-2 defense. (Simon)

It's funny to think how different these picks would be if we lost yesterday. Hahaha. It's also funny to think how many points we scored in the first half yesterday. 50. Wow.

Tournament Bracket

Don’t be surprised …

Well this is new. Not quite used to this.

I have been a Bills fan for my whole life growing up in St. Louis and going to games with my Grandpa, who's had season tickets for 35 years. Now I am a senior here and have watched this team develop and always knew we had so much promise. I am so so excited that we are finally getting national attention. I am just desperately pleading to the basketball gods to let our boys take this national praise and use it to rise up to their fullest and dominate instead of crumbling under the pressure. We are holding them to higher expectations than ever before, which in so many ways is just awesome.

What a great season this will be. I'm going to chalk a noticeable drop in GPA to Billiken success. How I am supposed to write a research paper and study for a test tomorrow when the Bills are getting so much love. We may need to brew some more Billiken Kool Aid and clear some room in the bandwagon and make room in the Fetz for the rest of Saint Louis.

The polls don't matter but they really do. The committee is made up of people who make a subjective decision. The top 25 is what it is all about being in there gets your score listed in the front of the ticker. It gets your game on TV. It gets you noticed.

I'm pumped and I was very skeptical during the exhibition season.

Though I don't like to go more than 1 game at a time, I am projecting the Bills to win the tourney with wins over BC, Villanova and Wash St. Villanova and WSU are very good teams. I will put up the point spread for the BC game after their game with UMass tonite. That game is showing as even.

Though I don't like to go more than 1 game at a time, I am projecting the Bills to win the tourney with wins over BC, Villanova and Wash St. Villanova and WSU are very good teams. I will put up the point spread for the BC game after their game with UMass tonite. That game is showing as even.

UMass murdered BC 82-46--How could that game be shown as even!!!!!!!

Tournament Bracket

Don’t be surprised …

The games are won on the court and none of these guys will be on the court. Until we beat other good teams we should be more cautious with someof the predictions. We SHOULD beat BC but it is not automatic. If we do then Villanova will be a formidable opponent. If come away with a 3 and 1 record we should feel good about that.

I'm thinking our guys aren't getting big heads over the UW game which is great, because that's when team's usually fall into the dreaded trap game. BC's very young and in the ACC media day was picked to finish last. UMass mauled them on BC's court, so it appears they are suffering serious growing pains. Still, RM will make sure they're not looking forward to Villanova. Before Sunday, I figured if they could go to 2-1 in the tourney it would be a good showing. It still would, but the difference today is what they showed us against UW, they have the goods to win this thing. And don't forget we get LMU at their place and they beat UCLA. Conk said it on 590, we're going out there to get 4 W's. If they do, the Billiken Buzz meter will be stuck in the red zone.

If we beat Wazzu, we become the state champions of that state and Pac12 should have to give us their automatic bid.

I know its hard to act like you've been there when you've never/rarely been there before so I'll act with tempered enthusiasm fo rnow. First, uncertain babysteps on what could be a nice season.

UMass murdered BC 82-46--How could that game be shown as even!!!!!!!

It is what happens when a bad team (BC) has a bad game...and an OK team (UMass) on the road has a great game...the bottom falls out for BC. In any case that game is reflected in the 19 point spread we have against BC. That is one of the biggest spreads we have had against any team. After 12 points (95% POW) the margin of winning starts to become insignificant. Our POW for this game is 98.6%

The Las Vegas line is 19, Wiz? Or is that based on your formula? I wouldn't take Duke over BC and give 19.

The Wiz never gives Vegas lines. His calcs are all based on his computer formula and the computers currently love us. The Vegas line will definitely be less than 19.