"Easy" Ed Macauley - Rest In Peace

I cannot remember a time when I did not know of Ed Macauley. I have often heard my parents tell of watching him play and how they would see him at dances while Dad was a student at Saint Louis U. As I grew Ed broadcast the Billikens and, I believe, other games as well. At the end if one Boys Classes Christmas Party at the Missouri Athletic Club, after we had played the games and had enjoyed the lunch, word spread through the locker room that “Ed Macauley is shooting baskets in the gym!” I thought of that today as I stood where about a dozen of us looked through the windows in the doors so long ago, not wanting to be seen staring, but not wanting to miss a shot either. When it was a real possibility that Billiken Basketball would be discontinued or downgraded to Division II, Ed was a member and face of the committee to advise the University on the question. Thank God, or thank Ed, we know how that turned out. As a season ticket holder I got to know Ed as he sat across the aisle from us and we talked in the old Kiel Club or in the concourses at Savis and the Chaifetz. I cheered as he was introduced many a time to commemorate triumph or another. I remember one time at the Savis when the 1948 team was introduced and we watched as boys ran around the arena collecting their autographs. Ed reached out for the program as one boy raced up the steps until he passed Ed to get to his teammate. I was so glad that we had Ed Macauley night last season and was thankful that we had enough tickets to get a bobble head for my mother.

Black arm bands, dedicate the season to Ed, erect a statue, they are all great ideas. Whatever we have done, and will do, for Ed pales in comparison to what he did for Saint Louis U. and for us.Until we meet again, may God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

I attended easy ed's basketball camp in 1973 and can still him teaching how to shoot how to to play basketball how to have fun. Each day he made great efforts to reach out to all the kids and answer questions and interact as much as he could. At the time I didn't realize how much he put into the camp and just how unselfish and good he was considering how more he could haVe been doing for himself instead of spending hours each day at that camp. He was a true legend in everyway and they just don't make role models like easy ed anymore.

Agreed. Probably went unnoticed but the lighting on the retired jersey was a nice touch.

Posted Image

-that lighting was noticed and hope it remains all season

-if the adept is looking for ideas a black patch on the court with 'Ed' or 'Easy Ed' would be appropriate in my view as well, not sure what else they are planning

-that lighting was noticed and hope it remains all season

-if the adept is looking for ideas a black patch on the court with 'Ed' or 'Easy Ed' would be appropriate in my view as well, not sure what else they are planning

The patch is coming. I personally would expect it for Washington but could be on for tomorrow

• 6 years later...
On 11/8/2011 at 10:17 PM, milwaukeebill said:

per @SLUbillikens "We lost a true Billiken legend today. Rest in peace, "Easy" Ed Macauley. 1928-2011"

Sad day for all billiken fans. will be missed.

Meant to post this yesterday, but got sidetracked.  Hard to believe we lost Ed 7 years ago yesterday.