GDT: SLU v. Cardinal Strich

SluSignGuy

Actually, the NCAA states that if you are an incoming freshman or a first year JUCO transfer, you are able to play in two exhibition games prior to being redshirted. Considering that ET was inelligible to play on the Canada trip due to having already played internationally this summer, he could still have played tonight (as well as Saturday) and still be eligible for a redshirt. Femi redshirted his freshman year yet played in the exhibition games.

Looked it up and I stand corrected.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If CR is an example I would redshirt Manning

Small pesky teams can make thoroughbreds look like donkeys

If the refs called half the fouls we would have been at the line all night

We looked bad

DE, CE, JM, MM, and JB never played well. Yes. MM and JB

Made a couple of shots and JB showed better range on his three

pointers than KM

If you want this to be a tourney team you play KM 38 minutes

and you give Cassity a rest after 4 minutes but you keep him

Fresh and in the game; same for Conklin

Cardinal Stritch had more steals than we did. JJ is the only one

Looking for the steal.

Boy did we miss Loe and he always finds Cody for open shots

Our guards have to find RL and CE or Majerus will have a stroke

JB shot looked ok but he threw up a couple of desperation shots as clock ran out. I'm sure one was so late it was not counted as an attempt

Mostly JB disappoints on defence where his mid court footwork is just

all wrong and he gets boxed out by stubby short guys instead of blowing

By them for rebounds or short jumpers

Please start with CR and mentally list who looks like their only shot

is a layup. We need someone to hit the quick jumper. JJ and GG

Look like the only junk ballers on the team. I find myself praying when

Conklin shoots the short jumper as I have trouble erasing his sophomore

Drought from my memory-last year he had games where was actually

Smooth

I'd change weight trainers Conklin, Manning, Loe, Ellis all look smaller

And you know the season is going to have all of them lose another 5 ponds. JB looks anorexic except for his triceps.

When AK Knollmeyer played briefly for us RM had him get rid of his

Braun leaving a smaller too short too slow big man. I hope coach can

Get rid of his fear of fat in others

52 for Stritch is a prime example he dominated his space like a widebody

If he lost 60'pounds you would take away the only game he has

Other than our two seniors and KM and JJ I think this team is

Meek

some of the sloppiness came from rickma trying to give minutes. take gandy, manning minutes away completely, limit barnett and remeken minutes, get the rotation down to 8 or 9 max and the team would function a lot better than what we saw last night. first game. trying to work on too much.

i will say this again, there is not the equal depth across the board we all thought we would see. there was a big drop off in play when jett, mitchell, cassity and conklin were not in the game. i would try to have at least 2 and probably three of them in the game at all times.

Agree with most of what Roy said. The difference between when KM/KC/BC/JJ were on the floor vs any other combination was surprising. The 4th year kids are playing really clean, JJ fits in with them the best, and the rest junked it up a bit. I thought are guards would just annilate them and that did not seem to be the case when any of the 2nd team was on the floor.

I will say that the team finally looks like Xavier or Temple, they look great. For years, we have been too thin, and now they finally have some muscle all-around. Don't get the poster that complained about the trainer. Evan looks like a football player, MM is stronger, Conk looks in top shape, Glaze is a beast, Ellis looks a little stronger, and KC has even gotten stronger - that was the biggest surprise, he is not muscle-bound by any stretch of the imagination, but he does not look frail anymore. And it seemed to help him on the boards.

I am shocked nobody is talking about the full-court man-to-man pressure. SLU is making an effort to really pressure the ball in the full and half-court. Conklin looked great helping to deny the guards on the inbound pass, he seems to be moving great. Of course, there were some growing pains with this, the 1st team did this well, while Cardinal's guards seemed to be able to drive on any pressure that MM, CE, JB applied.

I do like JB's shot, quick and good form and he nailed a couple 3s. His D and ballhandling need work.

I was thinking that DE might be the 2nd best player on the team, so I was pretty disappointed in his play last night. I thought he would tear them up inside last night and that did not happen. However, I think DE and MM are trying to catch up with the quick pace and in a few weeks, will start to fit in better. They showed what they could do last year.

If Ellis keeps playing like that, he ain't playing.

I bet SLU goes small whenever they get a chance with BC and DE inside.

Agree with most of what Roy said. The difference between when KM/KC/BC/JJ were on the floor vs any other combination was surprising. The 4th year kids are playing really clean, JJ fits in with them the best, and the rest junked it up a bit. I thought are guards would just annilate them and that did not seem to be the case when any of the 2nd team was on the floor.

I will say that the team finally looks like Xavier or Temple, they look great. For years, we have been too thin, and now they finally have some muscle all-around. Don't get the poster that complained about the trainer. Evan looks like a football player, MM is stronger, Conk looks in top shape, Glaze is a beast, Ellis looks a little stronger, and KC has even gotten stronger - that was the biggest surprise, he is not muscle-bound by any stretch of the imagination, but he does not look frail anymore. And it seemed to help him on the boards.

I am shocked nobody is talking about the full-court man-to-man pressure. SLU is making an effort to really pressure the ball in the full and half-court. Conklin looked great helping to deny the guards on the inbound pass, he seems to be moving great. Of course, there were some growing pains with this, the 1st team did this well, while Cardinal's guards seemed to be able to drive on any pressure that MM, CE, JB applied.

I do like JB's shot, quick and good form and he nailed a couple 3s. His D and ballhandling need work.

I was thinking that DE might be the 2nd best player on the team, so I was pretty disappointed in his play last night. I thought he would tear them up inside last night and that did not happen. However, I think DE and MM are trying to catch up with the quick pace and in a few weeks, will start to fit in better. They showed what they could do last year.

barnett's one foul on an inbounds play around the half line (right in front of me) was about as stupid of a foul as i have seen past seventh grade ball. rickma was noticeably upset by it and immediately sat him. as to his shot, you need to watch a little closer. he made two shots. the first one was indeed text book. the second one he made had a 10 to 4 spin. and he didnt jump straight up instead leaning right when he didnt need to. also his arch was never the same twice. and his release was very inconsistent. i say give him a year to shake the rust, but honestly, i didnt see a great shooter and his defense is far far behind mitchell, cassity and jett.

evans didnt "tear them up inside" because he didnt play the same position he did most of last year. he was a wing most of the night last night and i can only recall him playing power forward for one short stretch in the second half. i understand that if evans "gets it" as a wing, he can be devastating with his size and athleticism. but last night showed he is still learning to play as a guard. i would bet as the conference season approaches, if evans isnt playing at a higher level as a wing, his time will come from inside. i.e. evans will play. i am guessing rickma is giving him a chance to find his wings as a wing.

I am not going to claim to be a basketball expert either, but I will say this...everytime I noticed a Strich player blowing by a SLU player and getting to the basket easily, it seemed like it was always Cody. That is definitely cause for concern.

Cassity got blown by a few times, too. Barnett didn't have any of those that I remember but he's going to have problems guarding guys on a lot of teams we play this season.

Basically, they add Mitchell, Barnett, Manning and Glaze to a team that won 6 A10 games and 6 non-conference games (yes, including Rockhurst). How many more wins will they be able to get with those guys and a slightly harder schedule? The schedule still isn't great, so they'll need to win something like 23 games to even get a sniff of an at-large bid, affording them only a couple non-conference losses and maybe 4-5 A10 losses, tops. I'm just not sure this team is 11+ games better than it was last year.

the likely missing piece to the puzzle didnt play last night. loe sat with his stubbed toe. if you think about it, the best combination last night were the four starters mitchell, cassity, jett and conklin. my guess that remeken was a late throw in to the mix due to the loe injury and would convienently explain why he didnt seem to fit.

now will loe make the difference to look like an ncaa team? wont know that until he is back. the two players that we are all counting on the natural maturation and progression to really make the difference were the two impressive chicagoians from last season, evans and mccall. if those two raise their play to our expectations, and remeken ups his play, you have your natural 8 man rotation. we can all dream of a 10 man rotation and reduced time for some, but i believe sometimes trying to play too many actually breeds confusion and never gives the team a chance to get on a roll. we came out of the gates last night looking great. i believe it was 16-2 when we subbed. from there forward there never seemed to be a sustained "roll" again. i will believe the minutes will get spread around like that all season when i see it. i am betting while 10 might see time, probably 3-4 will again be averaging around 30 minutes a game and for the most part it will be an 8 man rotation.

most of that minute sharing last night was likely by design as rickma was likely intent on spreading the minutes, experimenting with combinations, postions, etc. as many has said in the last 12 hours, way too early to react, but it is fun to discuss.

i still think jett is an nfl safety or corner. :D

i will be the first to admit that jett has totally surprised me. i am now totally on the jett bandwagon. he is a vital cog to the team and you can see he "gets it" and has bought in to whatever rickma is selling.

Cassity got blown by a few times, too. Barnett didn't have any of those that I remember but he's going to have problems guarding guys on a lot of teams we play this season.

Basically, they add Mitchell, Barnett, Manning and Glaze to a team that won 6 A10 games and 6 non-conference games (yes, including Rockhurst). How many more wins will they be able to get with those guys and a slightly harder schedule? The schedule still isn't great, so they'll need to win something like 23 games to even get a sniff of an at-large bid, affording them only a couple non-conference losses and maybe 4-5 A10 losses, tops. I'm just not sure this team is 11+ games better than it was last year.

Easily with the addition of KM last year we beat Austin Peay (2 pt loss at home), we beat Georgia (2 pt loss at home), we beat Bowling Green (6 pt loss at home), we beat Rhode island (2 pt loss at home), we beat LaSalle (1 pt loss at home). That's 5 no brainer wins, all at home by a couple of baskets to generally "inferior" teams.

We also probably beat at least one of Southern Mississippi (7 pt loss) or Mississippi (8 pt loss) on a neutral court. Temple was a 4 point road loss, which you would think we win with Kwamain, but I'll leave that up for debate. GW was a 6 point road loss against a bad team. If we don't beat Temple with Kwa, we at least beat GW. I also would like to think that we beat the Bonnies and win our first round A10 game, simply with last year's team + Kwamain. Winning the top 5 games, and 4 of the 6 games in this paragraph makes 9 extra wins from last year.

Is an extra year from DE, MM, JJ, RL, plus a healthy Brian Conklin, a KC not playing 31.5 mpg, and the energy from GG worth 2 wins on top of that? We shall see. I'm not convinced that we are 11 wins better, but I think last year's team is capable of 22-9 with Kwamain, instead of 12-19.

the likely missing piece to the puzzle didnt play last night. loe sat with his stubbed toe. if you think about it, the best combination last night were the four starters mitchell, cassity, jett and conklin. my guess that remeken was a late throw in to the mix due to the loe injury and would convienently explain why he didnt seem to fit.

now will loe make the difference to look like an ncaa team? wont know that until he is back. the two players that we are all counting on the natural maturation and progression to really make the difference were the two impressive chicagoians from last season, evans and mccall. if those two raise their play to our expectations, and remeken ups his play, you have your natural 8 man rotation. we can all dream of a 10 man rotation and reduced time for some, but i believe sometimes trying to play too many actually breeds confusion and never gives the team a chance to get on a roll. we came out of the gates last night looking great. i believe it was 16-2 when we subbed. from there forward there never seemed to be a sustained "roll" again. i will believe the minutes will get spread around like that all season when i see it. i am betting while 10 might see time, probably 3-4 will again be averaging around 30 minutes a game and for the most part it will be an 8 man rotation.

most of that minute sharing last night was likely by design as rickma was likely intent on spreading the minutes, experimenting with combinations, postions, etc. as many has said in the last 12 hours, way too early to react, but it is fun to discuss.

i still think jett is an nfl safety or corner. :D

i will be the first to admit that jett has totally surprised me. i am now totally on the jett bandwagon. he is a vital cog to the team and you can see he "gets it" and has bought in to whatever rickma is selling.

Very good post Roy. It looked sloppy last night but that was mainly due to the constant subbing and trying out different combinations. If Evans and McCall up their game the way that we know they are capable of this team will be very good.

Don't look at Kwamain and judge the rest of the team; he did bulk up but he did not have his ass run off last season due to redshirt.

MM, JB, BC, GG, CE all look soft for the bigs and the guards look weak. They must not have the same trainer as KM and DE who does look like he bulked up.

JB shot looked ok but he threw up a couple of desperation shots as clock ran out. I'm sure one was so late it was not counted as an attempt

Mostly JB disappoints on defence where his mid court footwork is just

all wrong and he gets boxed out by stubby short guys instead of blowing

By them for rebounds or short jumpers

Please start with CR and mentally list who looks like their only shot

is a layup. We need someone to hit the quick jumper. JJ and GG

Look like the only junk ballers on the team. I find myself praying when

Conklin shoots the short jumper as I have trouble erasing his sophomore

Drought from my memory-last year he had games where was actually

Smooth

I'd change weight trainers Conklin, Manning, Loe, Ellis all look smaller

And you know the season is going to have all of them lose another 5 ponds. JB looks anorexic except for his triceps.

When AK Knollmeyer played briefly for us RM had him get rid of his

Braun leaving a smaller too short too slow big man. I hope coach can

Get rid of his fear of fat in others

52 for Stritch is a prime example he dominated his space like a widebody

If he lost 60'pounds you would take away the only game he has

Other than our two seniors and KM and JJ I think this team is

Meek

Erick Schork Men's & Women's Basketball Strength & Conditioning Coach 977-7025

[email protected]

There's Coach Schork's number and email address if you want to let him know you think he should be replaced.

Don't look at Kwamain and judge the rest of the team; he did bulk up but he did not have his ass run off last season due to redshirt.

MM, JB, BC, GG, CE all look soft for the bigs and the guards look weak. They must not have the same trainer as KM and DE who does look like he bulked up.

I have been with the team several times at events and practices and once at a barbecue and they all looked fitter and stronger. ET is pretty thin but he just got here. KC is clearly bigger as is Evans. Cody Ellis looks like a new person who has shed his extra weight and put on muscle. Same for Loe although he is only a soph and big men take more time to bulk up. Cory is bigger and stronger as is McCall and Jett and KM look very strong. I know the staff is extremely high on the strength and conditioning coach so I don't think they agree with you.