GDT: SLU v. Cardinal Strich

SluSignGuy

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the game. Here are some of my observations:

-Nearly fell out of my seat and spilled my beer when I saw Majerus. Where the hell was the black sweatshirt?!?! He looked considerably more svelte. Only the 2nd time I've seen him in short sleeves (other was Cancun game last year.)

-I love Glaze's motor, strength and athleticism. Give him some time under Majerus and I think he can become a really special player.

-Cassity had a nice stroke from 3 today, as did Barnett. Cassity looked very comfortable out there with Mitchell and Conklin.

-Cody looked bad. Got beat defensively all night, couldn't buy a shot, and just looked out of sync the whole time. While just an exhibition game, he didn't do anything to make one feel optimistic about him.

-Nice to see Jett hit a couple of jumpers from just within the arc.

-Manning looked stiff and unsure of himself.

-Why didn't the Greek play?

-Can't believe that Guy had to do a correction within the first 40 seconds of action! Wait a minute, yes I can.

-Why run the stall offense to run the clock out with 4+ minutes left? It is an exhibition game, let the players run the offense and score. You are expected to run over the competition. Use the time to get more players comfortable with the offense.

-Nice to see Snooki came back for a 2nd year as a Saintsation.

-A jumbo pretzel costs $4 and a side of cheese is $2. A cup of fries costs $3.50. I will be going with the fries as my halftime snack the rest of the season.

For those at the game, how was the attendance of the student body? granted, it's still an exhibition game, but still... gotta hope with that bill being passed last year in SGA that more students might show up to the games...

Anyone know if there will be any video highlights of the game?

(I hate being out of town for work during Billikens games)

Pistol and Scoop were no-shows, so I'm rolling with 108 tonight.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I walked in with about 17:00 to play in the first half and spent the rest of the half criticizing your absence to whoever would listen. Punctuality is not always my strong suit. But I never miss a SLU game if I'm in St. Louis (say hi to my mom and pop Saturday).

By the way, I'm not sure this team is as good as people think it is. I would be very, very pleased with 3rd in the A10. I'm thinking we'll be a couple spots lower. I could see us dropping a few in a tough November schedule and setting the tone for another so-so year. Hope they prove me wrong.

I had to leave with about 10 minutes left to pick up my daughter, but still have a pretty good feel for the team on the floor TONIGHT from the 30 minutes I saw. First, the Cardinal Strich team that we played is not a bad team. I think the program said they are ranked 16th in the NAIA and had a very impressive conference record (Nice job Drew!!!) the last few years. That said, I was a little disappointed that we did not put these guys away more handily. Nonetheless, we are an athletic team this year. We have the ability to shoot from outside (and Loe did not even play). We will be fun to watch. Still, I don't see 20 wins coming that easily. It seemed we had difficulty penetrating (easy Jimbo) and on defense, Strich had several moves to the basket where they blew right by us. I'm definitely not a basketball expert, but these things concern me. I would be happy for someone more knowledgeable to tell me what I am missing.

I had to leave with about 10 minutes left to pick up my daughter, but still have a pretty good feel for the team on the floor TONIGHT from the 30 minutes I saw. First, the Cardinal Strich team that we played is not a bad team. I think the program said they are ranked 16th in the NAIA and had a very impressive conference record (Nice job Drew!!!) the last few years. That said, I was a little disappointed that we did not put these guys away more handily. Nonetheless, we are an athletic team this year. We have the ability to shoot from outside (and Loe did not even play). We will be fun to watch. Still, I don't see 20 wins coming that easily. It seemed we had difficulty penetrating (easy Jimbo) and on defense, Strich had several moves to the basket where they blew right by us. I'm definitely not a basketball expert, but these things concern me. I would be happy for someone more knowledgeable to tell me what I am missing.

I am not going to claim to be a basketball expert either, but I will say this...everytime I noticed a Strich player blowing by a SLU player and getting to the basket easily, it seemed like it was always Cody. That is definitely cause for concern.

They're NAIA division II. I'm somewhat concerned that the margin wasn't closer to 40, but I think that the players are just too polite. But that goes out the window when they play Dayton.

Jett by far most improved player over last year

Mitchell is the motor

Evans best time on the floor is still as pf but played fine on the wing

Mccall had a bad game imo. Out of position a number of times. Some lack of hustle moments, but he sure has a sweet shot

Tonite, imo no doubt cassity deserves start and besides mitchell most minutes.

Barnett second to mccall in my disappointing ratings. For a reputed shooter his shot is very inconsistent

Conklin just solid and does stuff right. He will excell when not outsized. Unfortunately when we will need him he will be outsized

Remeken just needs intensity.

Ellis is shaping up to be a huge disappointment. Becoming irrelevant

Glaze is lost. Three times they had to tell him who he was guarding. He has a great body and could become that great rebounder we have long yearned for, but he is a long way from it.

Manning should be redshirted. He is physically unable to keep up imo.

There was a big difference between the starters (minus cory) and the rest, especially defensively.

Give drew deiner credit that team plaYed well considering the size and athletiic differences compared to our billikens. They will do sell in their season.

Band was midseason form. Amazing as usual.

Guy also was midseason form. Sucked as usual.

Loved that rickma went shopping and got some new threads

My concern from this game is the play of our big guys. Usually the difference in a game like this pitting an NAIA team against an upper level D1 team is the play of the big men. The D1 big men usually dominate. Ours didn't. Conklin had a good game, but the rest didn't show much. We didn't look like a tournament team or even a mid level A 10 team, but it was just an exhibition game. Some teams step it up against better competition. Hopefully we're that kind of team.

True. Femi played in both exhibition games the season he redshirted.

You play in an exhibition game the redshirt is off. The only way a player can be redshirted after that is if they qualify for a medical shirt.

i think you're being a little harsh on barnett. he hit a few threes. not sure how many he missed but it didn't seem like too many.

i like glaze. he looks lost but he's new and will take time. gotta love his intensity.

manning looks fine. everyone wanted to redshirt willie his freshman year and he seemed like he contributed.

i do agree with you that ellis seems like a lost cause. when he signed to play here i remember reading on an aussie message board about how he had a lot of potential but seemed to lack intensity and desire. apparently he got by with that in australia but its catching up to him now that he's seeing greater competition. at least, that's how i interpret it. i'm not going to expect much from him this year. my guess is he'll be at the end of the bench and evans will get more minutes.

i think our bench is pretty solid. not sure how you figure there to be a huge drop-off considering evans, mccall, and barnett came off the bench. keep in mind loe was on the bench too. that's not a big drop off at all.

Mitchell is the motor

Mccall had a bad game imo. Out of position a number of times. Some lack of hustle moments, but he sure has a sweet shot

Barnett second to mccall in my disappointing ratings. For a reputed shooter his shot is very inconsistent

Conklin just solid and does stuff right. He will excell when not outsized. Unfortunately when we will need him he will be outsized

Glaze is lost. Three times they had to tell him who he was guarding. He has a great body and could become that great rebounder we have long yearned for, but he is a long way from it.

There was a big difference between the starters (minus cory) and the rest, especially defensively.

Give drew deiner credit that team plaYed well considering the size and athletiic differences compared to our billikens. They will do sell in their season.

My concern from this game is the play of our big guys. Usually the difference in a game like this pitting an NAIA team against an upper level D1 team is the play of the big men. The D1 big men usually dominate. Ours didn't. Conklin had a good game, but the rest didn't show much. We didn't look like a tournament team or even a mid level A 10 team, but it was just an exhibition game. Some teams step it up against better competition. Hopefully we're that kind of team.

Looked like a CBI team to me. Lucky to win 20 before the A-10 Tourney.

Mitchell is the motor

Agree with most everything Roy just a few additions. I was OK with Mccall overall and think he will excell this year with KM back as the leader.

I have a feeling that Barnett is going to have a hard time getting on the floor. We have 4 guards that imo need to play as many minutes as we can get them and Barnett is not one of them. He looks to be a solid player but it also seems that we have 4 others that are better.

I think Remekun does lack a little intensity but I also think that he looked a lot more comfortable and fluid tonight. If that continues to improve, he should be a serviceable player and contribute some good minutes.

Definately agree with you that Stritch is a good team for their level. They played good defense and played hard. I think we could have blown them out of the gym but it seemed we were working on different sets and different game situations. We worked the shot clock every possession for about the last 5 minutes.

You play in an exhibition game the redshirt is off. The only way a player can be redshirted after that is if they qualify for a medical shirt.

Actually, the NCAA states that if you are an incoming freshman or a first year JUCO transfer, you are able to play in two exhibition games prior to being redshirted. Considering that ET was inelligible to play on the Canada trip due to having already played internationally this summer, he could still have played tonight (as well as Saturday) and still be eligible for a redshirt. Femi redshirted his freshman year yet played in the exhibition games.

Actually, the NCAA states that if you are an incoming freshman or a first year JUCO transfer, you are able to play in two exhibition games prior to being redshirted. Considering that ET was inelligible to play on the Canada trip due to having already played internationally this summer, he could still have played tonight (as well as Saturday) and still be eligible for a redshirt. Femi redshirted his freshman year yet played in the exhibition games.

Yep. Exhibition games DO NOT hurt your eligibility. I guess it doesn't really matter if he plays in them, but why not. It would at least give him a little game experience.