O.T. Maryland football uniforms

BLIKNS

Didn`t think it was possible ,but I think Maryland unis are worse than Oregon's. Any thoughts?

And what are those gray things Oklahoma State is wearing?

At Oregon it is experimental art with the uniforms. You never know what uniform, or even colors, the Ducks are going to wear from week to week. Oregon's basketball court looks like a forest. After finally visiting Eugene last month, I understand that. Eugene is a Columbia, MO in a valley below mountains and forests, with a river running through it.

Who cares if you don't win?

Oregon didn't have a deep winning tradition before they started going crazy with uniforms. Now look at em. Gotta stay up on what the kids these days are doing.

Oregon didn't have a deep winning tradition before they started going crazy with uniforms. Now look at em. Gotta stay up on what the kids these days are doing.

Um, are you serious? That might be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. I'm not an UO fan by any stretch, but wow. Let's think about that for a second. 4th overall pick in the '72 NFL draft (first skill position player taken) by the STL Football Cardinals...Four-time Pro Bowl Selection and a 2007 inductee into the College Football HOF.

Posted Image

Bobby Moore -- you might remember him now as:

Posted Image

Let's not forget about "The Beard," either:

Posted Image

Mel Renfro

Posted Image

Um, are you serious? That might be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. I'm not an UO fan by any stretch, but wow. Let's think about that for a second. 4th overall pick in the '72 NFL draft (first skill position player taken) by the STL Football Cardinals...Four-time Pro Bowl Selection and a 2007 inductee into the College Football HOF.

Posted Image

Bobby Moore -- you might remember him now as:

Posted Image

Let's not forget about "The Beard," either:

Posted Image

Mel Renfro

Posted Image

If a all-time record of 555–468–47 (.541) screams deep winning tradition to you then I guess it is the most ridiculous post you've ever read.

To me (and maybe I'm crazy) but basically having a shade above a 50/50 record doesnt scream "wow" to me.

Go on with the clorophyll.

I'll guess you agree then and we do not have to debate whether Kansas has a glorious football tradition since Gale Sayers went there?

If a all-time record of 555–468–47 (.541) screams deep winning tradition to you then I guess it is the most ridiculous post you've ever read.

To me (and maybe I'm crazy) but basically having a shade above a 50/50 record doesnt scream "wow" to me.

Go on with the clorophyll.

Define "deep winning tradition" for me, then? Obviously there are the Michigans and Notre Dames of the world, but Oregon has always fielded successful and competitive teams. Uniforms do nothing to change the culture of a college football program - they are pure marketing ploys and revenue generators. Penn State has the simplest uniforms in the country and year after year JoePa has one of the top programs in the land. If you think Oregon has played better since Crazy Phil Knight broke out the flashy unis, you haven't paid attention much to their program.

Sorry for the delay in my post. I had to wait until my 24 hours/5 post rule turned over.

Define "deep winning tradition" for me, then? Obviously there are the Michigans and Notre Dames of the world, but Oregon has always fielded successful and competitive teams. Uniforms do nothing to change the culture of a college football program - they are pure marketing ploys and revenue generators. Penn State has the simplest uniforms in the country and year after year JoePa has one of the top programs in the land. If you think Oregon has played better since Crazy Phil Knight broke out the flashy unis, you haven't paid attention much to their program.

Sorry for the delay in my post. I had to wait until my 24 hours/5 post rule turned over.

I dont have a concrete definition but I would definitely say that you have to win football games at a better rate than Missouri has for starters. I only use Missouri because they are the closest referance point. Any way you slice it, winning 54% of your games is not that impressive. Do you not agree?

I dont have a concrete definition but I would definitely say that you have to win football games at a better rate than Missouri has for starters. I only use Missouri because they are the closest referance point. Any way you slice it, winning 54% of your games is not that impressive. Do you not agree?

I think you also have to take a look at the dominance of schools on the East Coast and the South during the time between the first game UO played in and the establishment of the Pac 8 conference. The first team west of the Rocky Mountains to lay claim to an outright AP National Championship wasn't until USC in 1962. And only SC, Colorado, BYU and UDubb can claim AP or coaches poll national titles.

UPenn has a "deep football tradition" but do you count them among the college football elite today? A college football purist would, but we live in such a "what have you done for me lately" society, that history and tradition is discounted if you don't produce results today. Sure UO is winning today, but their tradition runs deeper than 1998-to the present.

UO, as well as most of the Pac-12 schools are at an extreme disadvantage with many of their "primetime" games starting at 11 PM on the east coast. The Heisman voters can see Ja'Wantae Darius at Ohio State reel off 220 yards against Northwestern in a noon kickoff game, but are they going to stay up and watch a game that ends at 3 am Eastern Time?

I think you also have to take a look at the dominance of schools on the East Coast and the South during the time between the first game UO played in and the establishment of the Pac 8 conference. The first team west of the Rocky Mountains to lay claim to an outright AP National Championship wasn't until USC in 1962. And only SC, Colorado, BYU and UDubb can claim AP or coaches poll national titles.

UPenn has a "deep football tradition" but do you count them among the college football elite today? A college football purist would, but we live in such a "what have you done for me lately" society, that history and tradition is discounted if you don't produce results today. Sure UO is winning today, but their tradition runs deeper than 1998-to the present.

UO, as well as most of the Pac-12 schools are at an extreme disadvantage with many of their "primetime" games starting at 11 PM on the east coast. The Heisman voters can see Ja'Wantae Darius at Ohio State reel off 220 yards against Northwestern in a noon kickoff game, but are they going to stay up and watch a game that ends at 3 am Eastern Time?

Very valid points, Metz. However, I think Husak also makes very good points about the tradition of winning at Oregon. While you can point to media bias towards the West Coast when it comes to giving proper recognition to non East based teams, the truth is that from the mid-60s to the late 80s, Oregon was a pretty awful football program. They had a 26 year drought in bowl game appearances.

Yes, they had some decent teams prior to that, but they were never really considered a powerhouse school. It is only in the past 15 or so years where they have risen to the ranks of national title contenders. While they have a tradition that runs prior to their recent success, it is perfectly fair to say that they weren't really considered as having a 'winning' tradition until their more recent seasons.

Very valid points, Metz. However, I think Husak also makes very good points about the tradition of winning at Oregon. While you can point to media bias towards the West Coast when it comes to giving proper recognition to non East based teams, the truth is that from the mid-60s to the late 80s, Oregon was a pretty awful football program. They had a 26 year drought in bowl game appearances.

Yes, they had some decent teams prior to that, but they were never really considered a powerhouse school. It is only in the past 15 or so years where they have risen to the ranks of national title contenders. While they have a tradition that runs prior to their recent success, it is perfectly fair to say that they weren't really considered as having a 'winning' tradition until their more recent seasons.

Funny how the program's improvement coincided with Phil Knight donating ridiculous amounts of money to their athletic department.

So, really the conversation is trying to define not just the word "tradition," but the phrase "winning tradition."

Prairie View A&M has a "losing tradition."

Oregon is a classic example of the ebbs and flows college programs have. Notre Dame hasn't won a NC in 23 years, but they are still relevant. Penn State hasn't won a NC since 1986, yet they are still relevant. Oregon has never produced a Heisman Trophy winner, but that doesn't take them out of the conversation of schools with rich college football histories.