RM on ESPN 101

b.hayes

Link

Some tidbits:

"Cody took the best charge on the trip. 2 years ago Cody had never taken a charge in his life"

"Conklin doesn't celebrate contact like you might expect"

Rambles about the biggest killer in the world, mosquitos.

Thinks we are on course in our reconstruction of the program. Last year was an aberration.

Says someone missed practice his first year to do their hair.

Says he paid for more of the Canada trip than SLU did. That should say something about Biondi's commitment to our Australia trip.

"Toughest guy on the court in Canada was Manning, it needs to be Conklin."

They try to set up their next appearance with a comment on college athletics and academics, and then RM rambles a bit while he tries to but in and end the segment.

"I create a buffet everywhere I go."

Someone smarter than me .....

Please explain how a coach, any coach, makes the statement "(I) paid for more of the Canada trip than (school) did." That would seem to be some sort of a violation of some kind, given today's Ohio State/Miami of Florida world for NCAA athletics. I recall maybe Spoon saying he couldn't buy kids ice cream. Anyone?

Classic.

Only RM can drift into the following far fetched topics during an interview about his team: Quiz the interviewers about what form of wildlife is the biggest predator in the world, questioning Jobs' philanthropic commitment, Breast Cancer, Greek Philsophers, and Amsterdam Jewelry dealers. Truly amazing. The most surprising revelation to us fans should be that Conklins got to get tougher.

Please explain how a coach, any coach, makes the statement "(I) paid for more of the Canada trip than (school) did." That would seem to be some sort of a violation of some kind, given today's Ohio State/Miami of Florida world for NCAA athletics. I recall maybe Spoon saying he couldn't buy kids ice cream. Anyone?

Like SGT Schultz of Hogan's Heroes said, Taj: I hear nothing.... I see nothing.... I know nothing.

Good question, though.

-i have not listened to the interview yet, but there was a discussion about this here some time ago where it was determined this sort of thing was ok, the coach can pay, or help pay, for an international trip for the team but can't buy a plane ticket for a kid to go to their mom's funeral

-i wondered about the funding of this trip, i guess now we know

I also didn't hear the interview, but the simplest way would be for Majerus to make a donation to the SLU Men's Basketball team. So he could donate $15,000 that was then used for air-fare, hotels, etc for the team.

Only RM can drift into the following far fetched topics during an interview about his team: Quiz the interviewers about what form of wildlife is the biggest predator in the world, questioning Jobs' philanthropic commitment, Breast Cancer, Greek Philsophers, and Amsterdam Jewelry dealers. Truly amazing. The most surprising revelation to us fans should be that Conklins got to get tougher.

RM talked about Steve Jobs' philanthropic commitment?

Ive wondered about that too.

Kind of off topic but I also dont understand how it works when it comes to legal matters.

Like with the LSU football bar fight. Two of the guys made a $10,000 bond and have hired the best lawyer in the state.

College kids can not afford that type of legal representation. I would bet the attorney took the case pro bono and I would also bet that he is a big fan and supporter of the football program. How are these not violations?

I doubt this attorney would represent a regular studnet for free so how is representing a football player not considered a violation.

I know this is off topic but it is something I always wonder about whenever a football player gets arrested and hires an expensive lawyer.

I also didn't hear the interview, but the simplest way would be for Majerus to make a donation to the SLU Men's Basketball team. So he could donate $15,000 that was then used for air-fare, hotels, etc for the team.

Or Rick forgoes part of his salary making it just an accounting adjustment to fund the trip. They move $$$'s from the budget line item for Rick's salary and move it to the line item for the Canada trip.

RM talked about Steve Jobs' philanthropic commitment?

He mentioned it in the context of reporters only concentrating on the bad news. Evidently the NY Times did an article on Jobs and his philanthropic endeavours. He rambled on about who knows what he gives or doesn't give. But questioned why don't they write about people that do give and mentioned his friend Huntsman from his Utah days. Look, if you, or anyone else here, can follow the logic of an RM interview you're a whole lot brighter than I am. I would love to know what he got in his English classes at Marquette. His run on sentences must have been killers to read. The guy can't stay focused on a specific topic for more than half a minute unless it's a question about food. This interview was all over the place and the interviewers know by now to just let him go whereever the question takes him. How on earth an interview about SLU's program got rerouted into a discussion about the planet's worst predators is beyond me. It would be fun though to be at a dinner party with RM and Taj Mahal79. B)

Ive wondered about that too.

Kind of off topic but I also dont understand how it works when it comes to legal matters.

Like with the LSU football bar fight. Two of the guys made a $10,000 bond and have hired the best lawyer in the state.

College kids can not afford that type of legal representation. I would bet the attorney took the case pro bono and I would also bet that he is a big fan and supporter of the football program. How are these not violations?

I doubt this attorney would represent a regular studnet for free so how is representing a football player not considered a violation.

I know this is off topic but it is something I always wonder about whenever a football player gets arrested and hires an expensive lawyer.

I think you solved the case right there ;) we'll just have to see how good Mr. Pro Bono's seats are this season...

He mentioned it in the context of reporters only concentrating on the bad news. Evidently the NY Times did an article on Jobs and his philanthropic endeavours. He rambled on about who knows what he gives or doesn't give. But questioned why don't they write about people that do give and mentioned his friend Huntsman from his Utah days. Look, if you, or anyone else here, can follow the logic of an RM interview you're a whole lot brighter than I am. I would love to know what he got in his English classes at Marquette. His run on sentences must have been killers to read. The guy can't stay focused on a specific topic for more than half a minute unless it's a question about food. This interview was all over the place and the interviewers know by now to just let him go whereever the question takes him. How on earth an interview about SLU's program got rerouted into a discussion about the planet's worst predators is beyond me. It would be fun though to be at a dinner party with RM and Taj Mahal79. B)

I BET HIS EMAILS ARE ALL IN CAPS WITH NO PROPER PUNCTUATION SPACING OR PARAGRAPH FORMATTING

Which, coincidentally, I am really good at reading since that's how people tend to write when filling out web forms.

It is not the first time coaches have done this, but in the most recent example of this, the article states coaches can't do it..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4420048

randy my read on the article was that it was allowed because the $$$$ from stallings didnt go directly and specifically to paying for the trip but rather a savings to the athletic budget which then allowed the trip to be financed with athletic dept funds.

i sure didnt get the read that stallings was denied refusing his pay.

Didn't he mention something about getting another commitment soon and that we need to be careful since we are running out of schollies ? I wonder who he is talking about.

Another good interview. Yes, he said that he was out recruiting (= LAZY)... and that we were on the "cusp" of landing another recruit. Hey Heard This, are you hearing anything? Majerus dropped several hints about the "Greek" before we landed him. The closing of this interview has quite funny. Rammer was trying several different times to end the interview and the Big Fella wouldn't let him do it.

randy my read on the article was that it was allowed because the $$$$ from stallings didnt go directly and specifically to paying for the trip but rather a savings to the athletic budget which then allowed the trip to be financed with athletic dept funds.

i sure didnt get the read that stallings was denied refusing his pay.

Agree. But from the interview w/ RickMa it made him sound like he just paid for it..which per the article:

Teams can take overseas trips every four years and raise money through fundraisers, games or donors. They cannot be paid for directly by a coach.

I'm sure it happened like you said

-listened to the interview, rick was hired almost 4 and a half years ago, i don't think i have heard an interview since then where he doesn't go of course, and most times there is a wild diversion, and i have said on here before, if you don't like his style don't listen, why subject yourself to something you don't like that you don't have to?

-here is what i took from the interview....

-he likes Manning's potential

-he wants BC to play smarter (I take this in part to avoiding foul trouble and unnecessary fouls) and stronger

-he really likes our schedule from a competitive standpoint

-the guys get along and the team made progress on the trip

-he is going recruiting and thinks we will get another verbal soon

-he likes the verbal from Indy

-CE making progress

-still a young team, will start 2 or 3 sophs

-his relationship with rammer seems better

-next time they will talk about academic integrity in the ncaa

-he thinks his health will be fine for the season

-going to open a couple practices as the reaction to the recent opens was very good

-listened to the interview, rick was hired almost 4 and a half years ago, i don't think i have heard an interview since then where he doesn't go of course, and most times there is a wild diversion, and i have said on here before, if you don't like his style don't listen, why subject yourself to something you don't like that you don't have to?

-he wants BC to play smarter (I take this in part to avoiding foul trouble and unnecessary fouls) and stronger

-CE making progress

-going to open a couple practices as the reaction to the recent opens was very good

HATE HATE HATE.

Oh lookit urrrrbody, Rickma's not the gotdamn devil. He's just a crude fat man who loves his mom and likes turning good men into great men and not coddling bad men into "acceptable" ones. Open practices finally. Wish I were around for them shits. He's a legend. His winning streak is over. His mom is laid to rest, God bless her soul. This man has no pride nor fear to hide behind. Here comes some teachin'. And some winnin'. HATE HATE HATE.

-CE making progress

thanks to people for posting the link: it is very exciting when the coach indicates his younger players offer something that the proven ones do not. He seems very encouraged with what he sees in GG and JM as being bangers-that has been the element we have been missing.