Official SLU Carleton game thread

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since no one else wants to say it. This was disgraceful.

At the very least somewhat alarming and a little puzzling. Here's my take on it: After the first two blowouts and the dominant fourth quarter in game 3, the team got complacent. Throw in a little fatigue, Carleton's hot shooting, and the fact that their talent level is beyond that of the others, and the result is the team wasn't ready for what hit them on Friday.

Last night, they were better motivated and prepared for the opponent but missing key players. Still, even at our best we're probably no better than Carleton's best. I'm not sure being at the level of the "Duke of Canadian basketball" is worthy of an NCAA tourney bid though.

These guys were 1-4 before we came to town and got beat by some pretty mediocre competition. We may not be that good unless a couple of our big guys come around.

If Rob Loe can't consistently hit the 3 @ close to .40 he isn't much of a player. If he can, he changes the whole dimension of the offense when he's on the floor.

Conklin shows promise of being a nice player his senior year and we should get solid play from Evans, but we need more than those two. Remeken isn't going to do much and neither freshmen look ready. Ellis seems to be the key. He has the body to be a power forward. If he can step it up, we might be able to be a bubble team. If not, we may be lucky to make the NIT unless RM is a miracle worker.

Some of you people crack me up. Overreact much? Geezus it's an exhibition game. I doubt we are writing down game plans and strategies to blow these guys out of the water. Get a grip. These are practice games in Canada.

Some of you people crack me up. Overreact much? Geezus it's an exhibition game. I doubt we are writing down game plans and strategies to blow these guys out of the water. Get a grip. These are practice games in Canada.

+1. Some people are acting like we haven't lost a game in 3 years.

+1. Some people are acting like we haven't lost a game in 3 years.

With or without these games, I predict SLU is on the last four in/last four out screen come selection Sunday. There will be some TV cameras there with the guys waiting to hear their name called.

It's not rocket science, if our bigs play well, this year will be special.

Anybody have the story on what Conklin did to get the intentional foul and benched for a half? In no way do I think Brian is a dirty player but seems like it would have taken something noteworthy for Whiteshell to bench him tonight with us being so shorthanded.

Seems as though he really smashed a guy who was shooting a layup.

DE was 6 of 12 from 3pt? Wow, impressive.

These may have been exhibition games and this may have been the Duke of Canada, but we did get beat pretty handily in both games. Yes, we made a run in the second game, but we still got beaten down. As others have said, Carelton has lost to some mediocre teams. Certainly no time to panic or overreact but it is puzzling to say the least.

I understand the fatigue thing, but we may be in a similar situation come the A10 tournament. Based on stats, RL seemed to do very little on this trip.

These may have been exhibition games and this may have been the Duke of Canada, but we did get beat pretty handily in both games. Yes, we made a run in the second game, but we still got beaten down. As others have said, Carelton has lost to some mediocre teams. Certainly no time to panic or overreact but it is puzzling to say the least.

I understand the fatigue thing, but we may be in a similar situation come the A10 tournament. Based on stats, RL seemed to do very little on this trip.

I'm guessing Dwayne got minutes at 2 guard given the list of those who played. Nice to see him knock down some threes.

Some thoughts to consider:

1. I had suggested several weeks ago that it will take some time for this team to become familiar with each other and work out their roles. We started strong on the trip but when we played a highly talented team that had played together they gave us tough games. Our defensive rotations will be the things that will suffer most at first and it appears we played a team that shot lights out. I predict our defense will be much better as this team plays together and gets our best guard defender, Kyle C into the lineup.

2. I was extremely impressed with the fact that our team made a big rally in the second game against a team that had handled us pretty easily the night before--particularly when you consider that we did not have Kyle, KM, or JJ for any part of the game and Conklin was out for the second half and MM missed a lot of minutes with foul trouble. Yet Cody, Jake, Dwayne and gang played tough and hung in there with our frosh Manning getting some nice minutes.

3. We may collectively have expectations that are much too high early in the season. This team will be good, particularly in the second half of the year but we have a bunch of very tough games early and if we don't have a realistic view that we are going to struggle at times then we will all be disappointed.

LaSalle beat this team by 2...and they are not considered to be anywhere near the top of the A-10...

Hopefully this was an aberration...

wasn't that without their two best players?