2012 Commitment

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Smart ass. Which is it? You started this nonsense stating:

1. 6'6" wing player out of Indianapolis was our top target this fall. (Post #2)

Sorry, but I read this as the #1 guy that RM set out to recruit for the Fall 2012 class. If so, wouldn't that be a major accompolishment - or did RM set the bar too low? Where did you read this?

Then you state:

2. After missing out on our top two targets,... (Post #41). Thought you said JD was our top target?

Then you state:

3. I am thrilled for us to land Drew as it was our top target at the moment. Post #50. Wouldn't every recruit be a program's "target at the moment?"

Top target for 2012, then "top target" after two (sounds like 3rd to me) and now "target at the moment."

Also, really appreciate all that insight. :lol: You infer that JD really really isn't that good since didn't have that many offers in hand, then you tell us that he is certain no "program changer", then you say that "he can be a role player his first couple of years, then step into a bigger role after that." Wow!! Really?? Sounds like what can be said about nearly every Freshman!! What's next? I'll bet that you will you even tell us that he will only get better after puts some weight on, adds some strength, improves his shot and has a year or 2 in RM's system??

"The reports do not suggest he is an outstanding shooter, that is also not in dispute", you write. What?? Not in dispute?? What did you do, read 2 reports (which may even be written by the same author) about what he observed when the kid was maybe a Sophomore or Junior in high school or during some weekend of basketball? You do realize JD has his entire highschool Senior year ahead of him, plus the Spring/Summer following, to work on his game, right? So now you summarize a few non-referenced and probably questionable reports to give this Board your recruiting insight about this kid? Love it!! Keep it coming unless your teachers give you too much homework.

Coincidentally, your "analysis" of JD and the others (ET and GG) back up your agenda and wild statements that while RM is still landing good players, they sure aren't "program changers" and if RM weren't so lazy and old school, and if only we still had Porter, that we'd have all the local blue chip players (program changers like Nolan Berry) beating our doors done but that RM has not completely failed with these back-up players.

I didn't infer that JD isn't that good. You're looking for me to say something like that so you can try and make a fool of me. I never said JD wasn't good nor did I imply or infer it.

You say I'm attacking recruits, when really you just lob shots at me. My points are at least basketball-related but you find the need to time after time attack my character or my "agenda." So fine, maybe I don't see the big picture as well as you do all the time, but I am only making points I believe in. Disagree if you will, but getting pissy about it is immature and not going to help anyone.

Drew was our top target after the other two guys committed. That seems pretty straightforward to me, I apologize if anywhere I made that unclear. When one top recruit commits to another school, your second target at the moment becomes the top target. For example, if the rams traded Sam Bradford (our top QB at the moment) then Feeley would become our top quarterback. So when Pat Ingram committed to Iowa, our next target (who appeared to be Jared Drew) became our top target.

I never said he would never become a good shooter. But at this point, even Drew himself is saying that is a big part of his game he wants to improve on. I would love to see all these kids play a lot and have a good sense of their games before I comment. But that is impractical so instead of just not discussing him, I go by what info or video I can find. In some cases talk to friends or coaches I might know. But I never claimed to be a recruiting expert.

RM decided not to pursue Berry. That's his call.

My teachers do give me a lot of homework so I appreciate your concern about my school work. I want to make sure I do well senior year and comment like yours will help me stay vigilant.

I think there is only one solution now. Salina, KS. PAYSTUBS. Royal F'N Rumble. One man leaves town the winner. And if you are going, you better go strong:

I would bet all of my PAYSTUBS that if any of the Billiken players or staff read this board, they have to think that we are the most disagreeable, dysfunctional group of douchers to ever call themselves fans of a team. 99% of threads on this board denigrate to this level. And I am not claiming innocence in any of this, as I know I am one of the guiltiest. So, you better be hard and be ready for the ultimate consequences when youu come to Salina!

I've heard that this is not correct.

Man, lots of arguing about a player none of us have seen.

Wow, I have several times just about given up on this board and the posts from our new resident expert/and self appointed critic of all things Billiken --NH--have just about sent me over the top.

Here are the "facts"--

The staff is very happy with this commitment and that should tell us something because with this staff we have seen an number of good players recruited who improved a lot under these coaches and the leadership of RM.

If you go out and read articles about Indiana basketball and the Indiana high school and traveling teams, this young man has been an important contributor on good teams and he has yet to play his senior year in high school.

Some larger BCS schools were showing interest and Butler was after him. The fact that we can hold our own and close the deal with a nice player like this is a positive statement for the program.

No one, and surely not NH, can predict how he will fit in long term-- and it is almost impossible to predict how any player will play in an important D1 game when they are only just finishing their junior in high school. There are 20-30 players nationwide who you might be able to say will be program changers but even those players sometimes do not succeed. With the rest of the recruits, you hope to find an intelligent athlete who is willing to work hard to learn and will compete at a high level. At least when you read the people who have seen him play comment it appears that this young man has real potential. Look at our young Mr. Evans and you can see the perfect type of player who will fit in with this team and program. He is smart and he busts his butt and he competes hard.

Why not wait and let him play his senior year and come in here and compete for a position and forget about all of this ridiculous junk that people are posting, particularly NH, when the posts are from people who have none, zero-- personal information about the person?

Thank the lord that we will have a few games to play so our self appointed expert can now give his learned comments about our current players rather than be critical of players who still in high school that he has never seen.

I don't know what to tell people. I said I'm happy we landed Drew. I'm not an expert. But people on here act like if you in any way imply that the guy might not be perfect, I'm all of a sudden ripping high school kids.

Fans who know me know i'm a fan and not a hater. Coaches on the staff who have gotten to know me know I'm a fan and not a hater. The players on the team who I've been lucky enough to be in contact with know I'm not a hater. If some people posting on an internet board insist on thinking i'm a "self-appointed critic" or a hater, I guess I'll have to live with that.

Look forward to seeing all you guys at the games this year. I'll be row H section 111, come say hi.

I'll try and follow Drew's senior season as closely as I can and post updates this year.

I don't know what to tell people. I said I'm happy we landed Drew. I'm not an expert. But people on here act like if you in any way imply that the guy might not be perfect, I'm all of a sudden ripping high school kids.

Fans who know me know i'm a fan and not a hater. Coaches on the staff who have gotten to know me know I'm a fan and not a hater. The players on the team who I've been lucky enough to be in contact with know I'm not a hater. If some people posting on an internet board insist on thinking i'm a "self-appointed critic" or a hater, I guess I'll have to live with that.

Look forward to seeing all you guys at the games this year. I'll be row H section 111, come say hi.

I'll try and follow Drew's senior season as closely as I can and post updates this year.

We know you are not a HATER but we don't understand why you have to find something negative or perceived as negative at the end of the majority of you posts.

I like hearing about what you have seen, but don't understand the rush to judgement on the unseen(is that a word?)B)

We know you are not a HATER but we don't understand why you have to find something negative or perceived as negative at the end of the majority of you posts.

I like hearing about what you have seen, but don't understand the rush to judgement on the unseen(is that a word?)B)

Well you won't have to worry about that in the future. I asked Steve to delete my account. It is clear to me my presence was distracting threads and turning posts into silly arguments. I hoped to help contribute to the discussion, but it is apparent that I was hurting more than helping.

It is a shame that this thread became about the wrong high schooler, one who will have no impact on the bills as opposed to one who I hope can have a big one by the time he graduates. Go Bills! Let's make the tourney this year, boys.

HATE

I'm thrilled to get a commitment just like everyone else and I'd bet Drew ends up being a good player for us.

That said, landing a kid whose other offers were Detroit, IPFW, ISU and Mo. State doesn't disprove the concerns I have. I hope we can follow this up with another good player and get to work in the class of 2013 and 2014.

Somebody earlier said that Butler was also recruiting him hard - does that help you?

Can't anyone ever post anything except kool-aid comments without getting killed. Hopefully this guy is worthy of being our top target for this signing period, but it should at least give us pause that SIU-Edwardsville and a few Horizon schools were our competitors for this recruit. I also wonder if he will need a redshirt year to become high, Div 1 size, given his 165 lbs for a 6'5" height. As Yogi or Casey would have described him, "He's not too light, he's just too tall for his weight." Based on his weight, I would imagine that he must be an outstanding shooter.

Here is the problem with simply looking at who offered - let me say I know nothing about the kid, he could be great or a bust. What I have seen over time is that lots of schools who are not very high profile offer early just trying to see what the kid really thinks about them. The big boys do not offer early unless they are really hot on the kid. So, whoever has offered may or may not be indicative of how good the kid is or is not. You have to be careful playing that game of only looking at who offered to determine if the kid is good or not. Look at Josh H. - he was only offered by Western IL and look what happen to him ending up at KY and actually doing quite well his senior year.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I was just emailing back and forth with the Director of College Counseling at Cathedral HS (close colleague of mine) who knows Drew really well, and he said "Honestly I thought he was going to commit to Loyola after he came back from there."

We CAN recruit w/out and even against PM! Boom.

Thats what I mean. I am happy to have a a good sized small forward.

My fear is that this team does not have enough size. That Portland game last year was brutal, and I don't really see a Heinrich or even Frericks on this team in the near future. And big men are so tough to find, I am willing to take risks with the hopes that with one of the players you can't teach 6-10 too you will be able to teach a post move to, even if it takes 3 scholarships to find one that does.

My guess is that Glaze will not be pushed around once he gets to a point that he knows the system.

Here is the problem with simply looking at who offered - let me say I know nothing about the kid, he could be great or a bust. What I have seen over time is that lots of schools who are not very high profile offer early just trying to see what the kid really thinks about them. The big boys do not offer early unless they are really hot on the kid. So, whoever has offered may or may not be indicative of how good the kid is or is not. You have to be careful playing that game of only looking at who offered to determine if the kid is good or not. Look at Josh H. - he was only offered by Western IL and look what happen to him ending up at KY and actually doing quite well his senior year.

+1.

And to add. Look at all the issues we had here locally trying to figure out if we offered Nolan Berry or not. Not intending to re-open that can of worms but determining which schools have offered and which haven't is not as easy as it first appears.

Also, I guarantee you that some of the big name BCS schools know who JD is, have talked with him, have watched him play and have expressed interest in him. Whether or not JD and kids like him have actual "offers" they can accept now is unclear. Quite possibly, Indiana (I throw this name out only b/c it is a big name BCS school and b/c JD lives in the state of Indiana) have JD on their radar and had plans to turn to him as their Plan B if some other player (possibly a McDonald's All American stud) does not commit to them (IU).

The Fall signing period is still a long way away. Many kids remain uncertain and undoubtedly are keeping their options open at multiple BCS schools. Only one of these BCS schools will land the kid so if 5 BCS schools are waiting on some game changer before offically "offering" to a kid like JD, then 4 of these BCS schools will be turning to their Plan B or Plan C very soon. Butler has been mentioned by others and SpartanBillikens wrote that JD was garnering interest from Boston College, Richmond and Michigan. What do people think this means? If we wait on a kid like JD, we will lose out to one of these 4 (my example) BCS who then turn to JD and say, "Hey, we told you all along we wanted you, now we do. Please come to our school. Here is a scholarship." The above schools are not still interested, at this late stage of the recruiting process, in a stiff or some actual low-level D1 kid. Instead, the lack of offers to date often means that the BCS schools are still seeking the top targets (Plan A). To me, conclusions drawn that certain kids must not be that good based upon who has offically offered them to date is simply off-base.

+1.

And to add. Look at all the issues we had here locally trying to figure out if we offered Nolan Berry or not. Not intending to re-open that can of worms but determining which schools have offered and which haven't is not as easy as it first appears.

Also, I guarantee you that some of the big name BCS schools know who JD is, have talked with him, have watched him play and have expressed interest in him. Whether or not JD and kids like him have actual "offers" they can accept now is unclear. Quite possibly, Indiana (I throw this name out only b/c it is a big name BCS school and b/c JD lives in the state of Indiana) have JD on their radar and had plans to turn to him as their Plan B if some other player (possibly a McDonald's All American stud) does not commit to them (IU).

The Fall signing period is still a long way away. Many kids remain uncertain and undoubtedly are keeping their options open at multiple BCS schools. Only one of these BCS schools will land the kid so if 5 BCS schools are waiting on some game changer before offically "offering" to a kid like JD, then 4 of these BCS schools will be turning to their Plan B or Plan C very soon. Butler has been mentioned by others and SpartanBillikens wrote that JD was garnering interest from Boston College, Richmond and Michigan. What do people think this means? If we wait on a kid like JD, we will lose out to one of these 4 (my example) BCS who then turn to JD and say, "Hey, we told you all along we wanted you, now we do. Please come to our school. Here is a scholarship." The above schools are not still interested, at this late stage of the recruiting process, in a stiff or some actual low-level D1 kid. Instead, the lack of offers to date often means that the BCS schools are still seeking the top targets (Plan A). To me, conclusions drawn that certain kids must not be that good based upon who has offically offered them to date is simply off-base.

well said, Clock.

+1.

Our recruiting of him is not done..for a lot of the reasons you just listed... A verbal is just that, a verbal. Until he signs on the dotted line, he will have schools coming at him harder than ever. Him giving a verbal actually increases his exposure, which could open up a lot of the BCS folks eyes...

not trying to be negative nancy, but it is the nature of recruiting

Our recruiting of him is not done..for a lot of the reasons you just listed... A verbal is just that, a verbal. Until he signs on the dotted line, he will have schools coming at him harder than ever. Him giving a verbal actually increases his exposure, which could open up a lot of the BCS folks eyes...

not trying to be negative nancy, but it is the nature of recruiting

This is a major problem in college football but less of a problem in basketball. I can only remember one player in recent SLU history that gave us an oral commitment but then signed with someone else: Rashard Tucker who went to SIU.

I'm not worried about it.

Kwamain and Willie were not that highly recruited when the committed to SLU during the spring of their junior years. Then Kwamain blew up the summer before his senior year and Minnesota came at him HARD!! Even some big 12 schools started sniffing around willie that summer.

bad boyz for life

This is a major problem in college football but less of a problem in basketball. I can only remember one player in recent SLU history that gave us an oral commitment but then signed with someone else: Rashard Tucker who went to SIU.

I'm not worried about it.

David Brent verballed to SLU and then signed with Jacksonville.