Schedule Update

crymdg2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scheduling takes two to tango and I'm sure finding quality buy games is not easy, but based on last year's top 200 rpi, here are a few that I would try that may not require a return game the following year -- Valpo, Oakland, East Tenn., State, Belmont, IUPUI, Furman, Austin Peay, Jacksonville (both on last year's schedule), and Ball State (an old Majerus connection).

BTW, Vermont was #92 last year and Portland #103

A long time family friend of mine from Peoria is now a top assistant at Ball State, so I'll send him a text...see what he has to say. Who knows, maybe they've reached out to Majerus and he said no? Maybe he ate a bad piece of chicken last time he was in Munice? If I had a nickel for every time that happened...

That's what Mizzou fans say about schools like SLU. If we're not good enough to beat a low D1 school, we probably won't have postseason aspirations anyway.

not even close to the same thing. we are typically a 100+ rpi team. i am talking about buy teams approaching or exceeding the 300 rpi mark.

playing slu would help mi$$ouri'sd rpi compared to the 5 or 6 winners they schedule every preconference season.

+1

Also agree with Scoop in that regular season games against lower division programs are a bad deal for season ticket holders. If I want to walk up and pay a few bucks to see it, that's one thing. But when a seat is $450 for 18 games, or $25 per game, a regular season game against a team that doesn't even count is unfair, given that two of those are already exhibition games (which I'm not arguing against).

If this is another non-D1 game, I'd rather have my $50 back for my pair of seats.

the truth is there is no reason the billikens are in this position that i can fathom. my gosh, practice starts in a month and we dont know all of our games yet?

at this late in the year, we wont get a good game so all i am saying is minimize the damage to our rpi for what is going to be a meaningless game regardless. the way i see it, the billikens are going to be a bubble team at best this year, that's all we need is to blow 10 rpi points just because of this scheduling procrastination. and god forbid we blow a game to semo or siu-e. now you are looking at real rpi hill to climb. take the worthless d-2/naia game and move on.

not even close to the same thing. we are typically a 100+ rpi team. i am talking about buy teams approaching or exceeding the 300 rpi mark.

playing slu would help mi$$ouri'sd rpi compared to the 5 or 6 winners they schedule every preconference season.

+1. Roy is on point today.

For someone who I imagine touts the importance of reading comprehension, you missed an important detail. Mizzou fans' idea of SLU and what the reality of SLU is are two different things from my experience.

"Absolutely nothing to gain and all to lose." are the exact thoughts of many Mizzou fans.

the truth is there is no reason the billikens are in this position that i can fathom. my gosh, practice starts in a month and we dont know all of our games yet?

We're in total agreement on this point. I haven't seen one other basketball schedule yet- including those that were released a few weeks before SLU's- with a 'TBA' in any space but the game time.

at this late in the year, we wont get a good game so all i am saying is minimize the damage to our rpi for what is going to be a meaningless game regardless. the way i see it, the billikens are going to be a bubble team at best this year, that's all we need is to blow 10 rpi points just because of this scheduling procrastination. and god forbid we blow a game to semo or siu-e. now you are looking at real rpi hill to climb. take the worthless d-2/naia game and move on.

I understand that filling that with a lower-tier D-I opponent isn't going to help the RPI but I can't help but feel ripped off whenever we play a non-D-I opponent after the two exhibition games. I don't see many other teams doing this, especially good programs. I don't mind Rockhurst as an exhibition game. As a regular season game, it feels wrong. We don't have a strong enough non-conference schedule to justify putting that in there and charging people full price to see it.

-if we can't beat semo or siue at this point then we need not worry about the rpi

Missouri has never needed to play us to improve their RPI.

For someone who I imagine touts the importance of reading comprehension, you missed an important detail. Mizzou fans' idea of SLU and what the reality of SLU is are two different things from my experience.

"Absolutely nothing to gain and all to lose." are the exact thoughts of many Mizzou fans.

no i got that. and i think my answer would be the rebuttal to any tiger fan that uses that line. until the tigers dont play any buy games, they shouldnt be allowed to use "Absolutely nothing to gain and all to lose".

I understand that filling that with a lower-tier D-I opponent isn't going to help the RPI but I can't help but feel ripped off whenever we play a non-D-I opponent after the two exhibition games. I don't see many other teams doing this, especially good programs. I don't mind Rockhurst as an exhibition game. As a regular season game, it feels wrong. We don't have a strong enough non-conference schedule to justify putting that in there and charging people full price to see it.

i totally agree with the above. there is no good excuse for this scheduling. and they should give us the worthless buy game AND give us our money back for one game.

-if we can't beat semo or siue at this point then we need not worry about the rpi

didnt syracuse and louisville have buy game losses in the last couple of years? it happens.

and again what you are missing is that even if we win a semo or siue game we take a hit on our rpi. that is why i'd rather play a rockhurst or an umsl. but that isnt a pleasant either or imo.

Missouri has never needed to play us to improve their RPI.

to get in the tourney you are probably right. to cost them a higher seed because they chose to play prarie view state instead of the billikens, i think you are wrong box. it all matters for the final rpi which i believe the committee still will use for reasons and excuses when it comes down to it.

didnt syracuse and louisville have buy game losses in the last couple of years? it happens.

and again what you are missing is that even if we win a semo or siue game we take a hit on our rpi. that is why i'd rather play a rockhurst or an umsl. but that isnt a pleasant either or imo.

-syracuse lost to lemoyne, don't know if that was a buy game or an exhibition game and i don't recall a similar l'ville incident, could be that i don't remember

-i am not missing the point on rpi, i understand playing a lower level d1 school lowers our rpi, but i would take that for the good of the game to play another local school like semo or siue and would hope the buy amount would be less

-pistol says in his post he is ok with a lower level d1 school, his issue is non-d1

-REQUEST - whoever runs those rpi simulator things, can you run this year's schedule through it to get non conf sos? pomeroy has last season's at 155 (oh wait, maybe that this is this year's ;) and i would like to know based on last yr's results where the current schedule sits realizing it is a season out of date) i suggest having us go 1-2 in LA like we did in cancun

to get in the tourney you are probably right. to cost them a higher seed because they chose to play prarie view state instead of the billikens, i think you are wrong box. it all matters for the final rpi which i believe the committee still will use for reasons and excuses when it comes down to it.

-imo every team in the a10 and leagues above it has a schedule for the season that can get them in the tourney if they win the games, SLU is no different this year or any other year

-win the games and the committee can't keep you out and if they give you a seed you don't think is what the body of work merits you still have the chance to win in the tourney

-the committee admits to seeding imperfections every year to balance conf foes and the pod impact, yes maybe only one line but those teams are still in the tourney

-i am not missing the point on rpi, i understand playing a lower level d1 school lowers our rpi, but i would take that for the good of the game to play another local school like semo or siue and would hope the buy amount would be less

-pistol says in his post he is ok with a lower level d1 school, his issue is non-d1

-REQUEST - whoever runs those rpi simulator things, can you run this year's schedule through it to get non conf sos? pomeroy has last season's at 155 (oh wait, maybe that this is this year's ;) and i would like to know based on last yr's results where the current schedule sits realizing it is a season out of date) i suggest having us go 1-2 in LA like we did in cancun

There are "low level" schools that may help YOUR RPI if they have a good enough record but a bad team in a bad conference will hurt YOUR final RPI rank (more than people realize). It is just that while RPI was used for selection when most fans did not realize it, the committee uses it less now that everyone is aware of it ("the experts" seem to think for selection a Sagarin type rating are used or a Sagarin/RPI composite).

I will run a projected RPI sometime after practice starts again based on last season's record to get a general idea what record would get SLU a decent at-large chance. However, I should note that RPI is not used as much to CHOOSE teams for at-larges these days but it is used to rank teams and mostly to determine bad losses and good wins (wins against top 50 and losses outside of top 100 RPI still appear to be big factors). I say that because predicting whether a SLU team with a 39 RPI rank will get into the tournament is an art itself. Personally, I think the selection committee having a smorgasboard of critieria to selectively choose from gives them too much power (because the last few choices are pretty arbitrary) but nobody will take it away from them either.

There are "low level" schools that may help YOUR RPI if they have a good enough record but a bad team in a bad conference will hurt YOUR final RPI rank (more than people realize). It is just that while RPI was used for selection when most fans did not realize it, the committee uses it less now that everyone is aware of it ("the experts" seem to think for selection a Sagarin type rating are used or a Sagarin/RPI composite).

I will run a projected RPI sometime after practice starts again based on last season's record to get a general idea what record would get SLU a decent at-large chance. However, I should note that RPI is not used as much to CHOOSE teams for at-larges these days but it is used to rank teams and mostly to determine bad losses and good wins (wins against top 50 and losses outside of top 100 RPI still appear to be big factors). I say that because predicting whether a SLU team with a 39 RPI rank will get into the tournament is an art itself. Personally, I think the selection committee having a smorgasboard of critieria to selectively choose from gives them too much power (because the last few choices are pretty arbitrary) but nobody will take it away from them either.

-kwyjibo, see you are in VT, hope you are ok

-by lower level i meant a team with a low rpi

-rational or not i do believe there is a bias on the committee to the bcs conf schools (yes i realize bcs is a football term) even with the inclusion on the committee of representatives from non-bcs conferences

-the mock selection exercises from the last few years prove nothing to me to make me think otherwise as they are just that- mock-, if they wanted transparancy have a pool reporter in the room during the week when they are "selecting" the teams and setting the brackets, not bloody likely unless anti-trust implications are running around

-if you care to run some 'what if' rpi scenarios to me that would be interesting