Nolan Berry

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think Butler is going to change to a major conference on the basis of one coach in one sport?

First, what major conference would take them on that basis?

It would be a big mistake. When Stephens leaves Butler will go back to being Butler.

Butler prior to Stevens was still a pretty good program. They went to 2 Sweet Sixteens under Lickliter, Matta got them to the second round in his only season there and Collier got them to 3 NCAA appearances. In the past 15 seasons, they have 10 NCAA appearances. Of the 5 seasons they missed, they went to the NIT 3 of those years. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to see them in a larger conference in the near future.

And losing a recruit to Butler shouldn't be surprising or even that disappointing. Making back to back Final games is going to help out a LOT on the recruiting trail. Having a young brilliant coach is another big plus.

Do you think Butler is going to change to a major conference on the basis of one coach in one sport?

First, what major conference would take them on that basis?

It would be a big mistake. When Stephens leaves Butler will go back to being Butler.

The first question is a very dumb question. They would obviously leave for a major conference to get more exposure, money and to make things easier to keep a top notch pregram IF Stevens ever does leave.

If the conferences blow up and there is considerable realignment they will definitely be discussed and recruited to join a bigger conference. What makes other basketball only schools in major conferences better candidates than Butler? Compare them to Marquette and who would you rather have in your conference? I take the school that has been in the last 2 final fours. You dont look at the past but instead at the future and there are not many teams that are as promsing as Butler so any conference that is looking to add basketball only schools then Butler is at or near the top of the list.

What makes you certain that he is going to leave anyway? He left a high paying corporate job at Eli Lilly to be a volunteer assistant, he already has a big contract and his wife is a big time lawyer that also rakes it in so I dont think it is about the money. He is from the area and has said that he is very comfortable there and with the school. While the media has always been quick to bring his name up he has never been actually been interested in any job openings. And lastly as another poster on here brought up, Duke was not always Duke. Coach K made them Duke so why can't it happen with Butler?

losing a recruit to butler is not a shame, but getting outworked by butler for a top local recruit whose grandfather is the all-time great billiken leaves a bad taste. stevens worked this one hard himself and he got the job done. I think SLU could have gotten Nolan. we made an effort, but way too much slippage on this one, especially with the ties to the SLU program.

bad boyz for life

losing a recruit to butler is not a shame, but getting outworked by butler for a top local recruit whose grandfather is the all-time great billiken leaves a bad taste. stevens worked this one hard himself and he got the job done. I think SLU could have gotten Nolan. we made an effort, but way too much slippage on this one, especially with the ties to the SLU program.

bad boyz for life

+1

Sad day for Billiken basketball.

I don't blame Berry. Butler is an exellent program that SLU should aspire to. BUT they are not in a BCS conference. We should be able to recruit with Butler. We should have beaten them on Berry. When we can't convince a local kid who's grandfather is the greatest Billiken of all time who was honored this past year we have a problem.

bad boyz for life

We have not been to the Big Dance since 2000. The burden of proof is on our team to demonstrate we have turned the corner and can win and win consistently. Butler making it to back to back Final 4 is a tremendous accomplishment. To the winners go the spoils. Let's start winning and keeping local talent will get a whole lot easier.

We have not been to the Big Dance since 2000. The burden of proof is on our team to demonstrate we have turned the corner and can win and win consistently. Butler making it to back to back Final 4 is a tremendous accomplishment. To the winners go the spoils. Let's start winning and keeping local talent will get a whole lot easier.

Getting Berry to play for SLU should have been a slam dunk. Grawer would have gotten him, Spoon would have, Romar would have, Brad would still be contemplating the offer but this is a huge failure by Majerus.

Butler still plays in the HORIZON. SLU thought that league was too crappy for us 20 years ago when Marquette, Xavier and Dayton were in it. This is the one situation where the conference we play in wasn't a hindrance.

No excuses for this.

Getting Berry to play for SLU should have been a slam dunk. Grawer would have gotten him, Spoon would have, Romar would have, Brad would still be contemplating the offer but this is a huge failure by Majerus.

You can call it a failure by Majerus if you would like, but the rest of this paragraph is ridiculous. You're better than that.

I can't believe anyone is surprised that we didn't land him. It's been pretty well known for a while now he wasn't going to come here. On to the next one.

You can call it a failure by Majerus if you would like, but the rest of this paragraph is ridiculous. You're better than that.

I can't believe anyone is surprised that we didn't land him. It's been pretty well known for a while now he wasn't going to come here. On to the next one.

No sorry this is an embarrassment. I could deal with it if he went to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Syracuse, even Illinois or Mizzou. Those programs have tremendous advantages over us. But BUTLER!!! ###### BUTLER!!! They play their games in a goddamn museum. Our women's volleyball team has more funding than their basketball program. They can't recruit anyone farther than Stevens can drive his van in one day. I don't care how many final fours they've gone to or who their coach is. They play in the HORIZON. We left that conference 20 years ago for seemingly better things. Now 20 years later a team we left for dead in the MCC steals, not just a recruit, not a prized recruit, But Ed Macauley's GRANDSON!!!!!!!!! I've been going on to the next one for the last 25 years with this program. No excuses for this.

No sorry this is an embarrassment. I could deal with it if he went to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Syracuse, even Illinois or Mizzou. Those programs have tremendous advantages over us. But BUTLER!!! ###### BUTLER!!! They play their games in a goddamn museum. Our women's volleyball team has more funding than their basketball program. They can't recruit anyone farther than Stevens can drive his van in one day. I don't care how many final fours they've gone to or who their coach is. They play in the HORIZON. We left that conference 20 years ago for seemingly better things. Now 20 years later a team we left for dead in the MCC steals, not just a recruit, not a prized recruit, But Ed Macauley's GRANDSON!!!!!!!!! I've been going on to the next one for the last 25 years with this program. No excuses for this.

Butler is a better program right now than Mizzou and Illinois. A lot of kids today don't care what conference they play in as long as they get to play on TV and in the tourney. Hell, look at Gonzaga and Xavier. They snag recruits from the big boys every year because they constantly win, play top caliber teams in the non-con, and get exposure.

The quicker you accept the fact that we were out of this sweepstakes long ago the less it will hurt.

I wish NH was here to tell us why he didn't commit to Loyola lmao

bad boyz for life

exactly.

exactly.

Wow! Since he's a 2013 grad I figured he'd wait awhile to see if Duke, UNC, Stanford, and other bigs came a calling. Not knocking Butler, how can you, but given the extra special family tie, almost like a legacy, to lose him to Butler is troublesome on many levels. Butler gets TV when it goes out of conference and bracket buster time, does St. Lou get a lot of coverage of Horizon games? TV couldn't have been a major factor. Leave home for a more non midwest location, eg Duke, Stanford, FL, AZ, couldn't have been a factor. What's the distance from St. L, about 4 hours? Hats off to Stevens who appears to be not only a very good coach but a great salesman as well. A big wet willie to SLU's staff unless NB told them to forget it right from the get go or just lost interest in us during the process.

Wow! Since he's a 2013 grad I figured he'd wait awhile to see if Duke, UNC, Stanford, and other bigs came a calling. Not knocking Butler, how can you, but given the extra special family tie, almost like a legacy, to lose him to Butler is troublesome on many levels. Butler gets TV when it goes out of conference and bracket buster time, does St. Lou get a lot of coverage of Horizon games? TV couldn't have been a major factor. Leave home for a more non midwest location, eg Duke, Stanford, FL, AZ, couldn't have been a factor. What's the distance from St. L, about 4 hours? Hats off to Stevens who appears to be not only a very good coach but a great salesman as well. A big wet willie to SLU's staff unless NB told them to forget it right from the get go or just lost interest in us during the process.

Guys.

We are not a winner...now. We are here talking and arguing everyday, because we truly wish we will and believe we will be a winner. But right now we haven't won squat!

Now in 2-3 years, we go to the dance a few times, maybe knock off U Dub, win the pre season tournament or get to the finals, then we can squawk about losing the grandson of the greatest Billiken to a program that we remember as being equal to us, but right now, right now is better than us.

mhg

Are you nuts? Butler has been to back to back national championships? It is a good school and within 4 hr drive.

The kid had it down to mizzou, bc, Santa Clara and butler. He obviously was not looking for the big time and just wanted a good fit. Slu was not it. Shocker. Let's move on. Thank god rm didn't waste all his time on him.

Butler is a better program right now than Mizzou and Illinois. A lot of kids today don't care what conference they play in as long as they get to play on TV and in the tourney. Hell, look at Gonzaga and Xavier. They snag recruits from the big boys every year because they constantly win, play top caliber teams in the non-con, and get exposure.

The quicker you accept the fact that we were out of this sweepstakes long ago the less it will hurt.

I wish NH was here to tell us why he didn't commit to Loyola lmao

Butler was one of the few programs that we were recruiting against on Berry that we had the advantage of being on TV more often in St Louis.

The fact is we waited too long to put the full court press on Berry.

Are you nuts? Butler has been to back to back national championships? It is a good school and within 4 hr drive.

The kid had it down to mizzou, bc, Santa Clara and butler. He obviously was not looking for the big time and just wanted a good fit. Slu was not it. Shocker. Let's move on. Thank god rm didn't waste all his time on him.

The thing is we did waste time on him late here in the process. You waste all the time you can on Easy Ed's kid. We should have beat Butler on this kid.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/recruiting/basketball/article_25091b2a-e7db-11e0-930c-0019bb30f31a.html

He also considered Missouri, Boston College and Santa Clara. "Those were probably the other ones that I was really considering," he said.

In addition to scholarship offers from Butler, Missouri, Boston College and Santa Clara, Berry said he also had offers from Purdue, Davidson, Loyola-Chicago, Missouri State and St. Louis University.

"I obviously considered [st. Louis] a little bit because of my grandpa, and my dad went there for a little bit," Berry said. "... I didn't see myself fitting in with the coaching staff and the system there. I'll always be rooting for them, though."

Majerus lost Berry on his own. He wasn't staying in St. Louis, Butler or no Butler.

The thing is we did waste time on him late here in the process. You waste all the time you can on Easy Ed's kid. We should have beat Butler on this kid.

We spent more time on him than we will on any other kid who has virtually no interest in coming here. His Grandpa played here over 50 years ago. I can understand that the kid would want to blaze his own trail.

People are making it seem like Butler was his first choice and SLU was his second. We weren't going to get him either way, so I don't see how it matters who we lost him to.

We knew we weren't his 2nd choice. Am surprised to learn Santa Clara was above us, however. That was a weird mix of schools he was considering. The coaching staff not being a good fit is a little disconcerting. What's RM teach that's so different than other big time coaches? Defense is what all D1 coaches stress the most. And RM's developed some really good bigs over the years. Maybe he just missed PM going to Loyola.

You just made it painfully clear that you are not in touch with reality and life on earth. Let me explain.

Butler has been to the final game 2 years in a row. They are winners. Kids want to win, kids that are worth a lick in sports do anyway. Nolan has to write his own story not relive that of Ed's. Butler could play in the Women's league but if they go to the final game of the final four then they are going to land high level talent. Hinkle is old but has charm and history in a state that eats and breathes basketball. Cameron Indoor is the same.

We have to win to land Nolan and the rest. We had a losing season last year. Take off your blue tinted astronaut's helmet and come to earth.

You just made it painfully clear that you are not in touch with reality and life on earth. Let me explain.

Butler has been to the final game 2 years in a row. They are winners. Kids want to win, kids that are worth a lick in sports do anyway. Nolan has to write his own story not relive that of Ed's. Butler could play in the Women's league but if they go to the final game of the final four then they are going to land high level talent. Hinkle is old but has charm and history in a state that eats and breathes basketball. Cameron Indoor is the same.

We have to win to land Nolan and the rest. We had a losing season last year. Take off your blue tinted astronaut's helmet and come to earth.

If it was all about winning Santa Clara wouldn't have been a finalist. The coach at Santa Clara has one winning season at Santa Clara, last season. They still didn't break into the top 100 according to kenpom.

If it was all about winning Santa Clara wouldn't have been a finalist. The coach at Santa Clara has one winning season at Santa Clara, last season. They still didn't break into the top 100 according to kenpom.

His point was that we have to win in order to expect to land this kind of talent.

It's really not worth arguing over because like I said a few months ago, Nolan didn't want to come here. There's only so much you can do when recruiting, and if a kid doesn't want to be apart of your program, you aren't going to land him. He didn't want to be a Billiken which is fine. I'm not going to cry about it. I want kids that want to be here. Good luck to him at Butler.