slu tuition

SLU is like other private colleges - the cost is high but they give lots of scholarship or aid so the net cost is not as high as it seems. I don't mean to infer that the net is equal to going to a public college but it is not as high as it seems. When my son applied to attend SLU what they had offered him ended up creating a net of only about double that of the public schools he applied to - it started out 4 times higher - I assume the same practice is still in place. He choose to attend Mizzou because of the program he was looking for and it did not hurt that it was cheaper. The point I was making is that the net cost to go to SLU is really not as high as it would seem at first glance.

I graduated from SLU's law school a few years ago, and I agree that they were very generous with the partial academic scholarship I received, especially considering my inferior undergraduate education from the University of Missouri. My only complaint was they increased my scholarship each year much less than they increased tuition.

It gives me chills to look ahead 13 years to when my oldest will begin college.

>I graduated from SLU's law school a few years ago, and I

>agree that they were very generous with the partial academic

>scholarship I received, especially considering my inferior

>undergraduate education from the University of Missouri. My

>only complaint was they increased my scholarship each year

>much less than they increased tuition.

>

>It gives me chills to look ahead 13 years to when my oldest

>will begin college.

Law school tuition has gone up even more this year than the rest of SLU (thanks Father Biondi, we'll all remember that you "don't give a damn about the law school" when it comes time to donate to SLU) and is around $27,000 for tuition alone. I'll be well over $100,000 in the hole by the time I get out.

Ouch! I think tuition is about double what it was when I started, and that wasn't that long ago. I remember reading somewhere when I was still a student that they were raising SLU's tuition to bring it more in line with Wash U. That really irked me at the time. Anyway, good luck.

THere are a LOT of upset students at the law school these days. The University is screwing us raising our fees to pay for undergrad programs, class offerings have been drastically cut back, more and more courses being only offered at night, student orgs being given less money to put on programs, it isn't good. On the bright side, the school is up to 2nd Tier in US News rankings. I guess that means we have to be more like the highly ranked schools and have students be miserable....

cheese, those scholarships and aid are targeted to minorities and/or high academic scoring kids. my very average son is not being offered a penny to go to slu. however they send us "why havent you sent your committment back yet?" letters about every other day.

Just as a point of reference, I graduated from SIU in 1965. My tuition and fees totaled $42.50 per quarter and that included all required books (rented) for the standard 16 hours of classes. My son's current monthly parking fee at Illinois is $50. I can't imagine what my yound grandchildren will be paying for college tuition.