on nate's recommendation......

Of course I hope Tommie is available to play next year ... but if he is not I still think we will be improved over this year. I think Luke will be a key. I would see our starting 5 as

1. DP ... improved quickness, better creativity, at least equal outside shot. ... defense is a staple at Vashon ... so I would predict him to be above average. I'm not worried about him being able to step right in ... Without the injury ... he would probably be a top 50 player ... at least on par with OU's Lavender who had a very nice freshman season

2. RB ... should get better looks with DP at the point ... plus another year under his belt as a team leader.

3. LM/DC/IO ... this is where we will have a question mark without TL ... if LM is as good as advertised ... we may be ok. CS's numbers shouldn't be too hard to duplicate ... but his leadership and defense may be.

4. IO/JJ ... no worse than this year ... IO should be improved with another year past and hopefully a little more muscle. JJ has no where to go but up

5. TF ... hopefully healthier giving us more minutes ... IV is already better than he was early in the year and as the season progresses should improve more.

Our bench would be

AD at the 1 or 2

DC/LM at the 2 or 3

JJ at the 4

IV/BH at the 5

plus who ever else we get ... if we get a stud 4 ... it opens up alot of possibilities

but either way I don't see us as any worse. I would rather see us sit on TL's scholership if we can't add somebody who will be a solid contributer

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

bauman, I agree that TL has the potential to be a special college player. However, I disagree that going from TL, DP and LM plus the best available juco to DP, LM and the best available two jucos, drops this recruiting class three or four notches. Knowing the academic hill that needed to be climbed, one shouldn't be shocked if TL doesn't make it.

Living on the positive side of the line, I'm hopeful TL has a strong academic senior year and that the combination of his required core averages and his cumulative test scores get him eligible.

Wait a minute - some of are talking like you have know TL's situation. What we have always been told is that he has the grades but is missing the test score. The hill he has to climb is not insurmountable for goodness sakes. I am not sure what score he needs but I think from what others have written who have the knowledge, he has very good chance of qualifying. Besides, he is already a partial qualifier so if he wants to come to SLU he can and only miss one year of playing. I working on the assumption that he will qualify and be a great asset to SLU.

He's got the jumping and athleticism back. His time off in rehabilitating the knee caused him to miss some valuable time in honing the skill aspects to his game. He simply does not know the fundamentals of the game and is an athlete trying to play basketball. Right now, schools like Western Illinois and other low-majors are recruiting him.

>"Besides, he is already a partial qualifier"

>

>No he isn't. To be a partial qualifier, you need a 2.7 GPA.

> Tommie has a 2.5.

>

Unless they very recently changed the rules, a high school senior needs a minimum 2.55 GPA plus a 67 on the ACT to be a partial qualifier. But it is a steeply sliding scale for a partial qualifier. If the GPA goes up one fraction to 2.6 then the player only needs a 64 on the ACT to be a partial qualifier.

http://www.ncaa.org/eligibility/cbsa/academic.html

This thing is going to go down to the wire, a combination of grades and ACT that shall not be known until June. My personal preference is that we stick by Tommie Liddell regardless. If he is a partial qualifier, fine, we suck it up and make due with what we have next season. This guy is the best recruit SLU has signed since Larry Hughes and is worth the risk.

I don't think they should have even hinted that Tommie Liddell is considering juco -- if that's really true -- because he is signed with SLU, period. They make both the athlete and his chosen school look bad. Xavier Price is signed with Purdue but has yet to meet the qualifications, but the capsule doesn't say, "...signed with Purdue but is considering the juco route."

I hope Tommie uses that "slip" as motivation to get qualified and play at SLU in 2004-05 show to show them.

>If Tommie's test score remains the same, he would need a 2.7

>to be a partial qualifier.

The NCAA calculates the GPA only by using the accepted core courses, so the NCAA GPA can often differ from the overall GPA a player has. For example, at my HS we had to take Phys Ed as freshmen but if I had played NCAA ball that grade (for most people an A) wouldn't be counted towards the clearninghouse GPA.

While the RFT in their article on Liddell said he had "around a 2.5" that may be true, but his GPA that will determine his eligibility is likely different as they won't count all classes. In fact, his clearninghouse GPA could be higher.

I didn't have to deal with the NCAA Clearinghouse when I was taking the ACT a couple years ago, but we were repeatedly told that if we took the test multiple times, most schools would take our highest unit scores from all the tests.

For example, I took the ACT twice and got a 26 the first time. My score wasn't higher than 26 the second time, but I did get a 29 in the English section, which brought my overall composite score to a 27.

chris monter's site has a blurb today that says foster is in ohio state on his official visit. his summary shows that both kansas and oklahoma have dropped their interest and are no longer offering a scholarship. foster's list is now illinois state, ohio state, saint louis, south florida and washington state. all five have reportedly offered a scholarship to foster.

broy, I found it interesting that you highlighted Ohio State's interest in Je'kel Foster. An Ohio State assistant coach (Monte Mathis) was at the juco finals in Hutchison for at least three days. Illinois State and South Florida had their head coaches there as well. It's difficult to tell if these coaches are zeroing in on one player in particular, or if they are just looking in general. Hopefully, Coach Soderberg's prior coaching/player relationship (at Loras) with the Chipola coach will help us with Foster.