Moser devastating blow?

SLU_Nick

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not what happened.

Unfortunately, so many of these threads turn into ones which require negative comments about a guy who has given his best efforts and loyalty for 4 years to the program. I, for one, am thrilled to have had Porter these past four (4) years but I would not have wanted him to be our next head coach. Head coaching is more than recruiting and more than X's and O's. It also about leadership, teaching, motivation and inspiration. RM knows how to motivate and get players to play their absolute best. His methods are not always pretty. Some leave angry and bitter. Still, RM knows what each player's abilities are, what each player can offer the team and how each player's buttons must be pushed to bring this about. No doubt some kids and their families absolutely hate the man while others praise him. Just b/c RM can do this does not mean his assistant coach do the same. Sorry, but if a guy tries and fails (and gets a bad rap that he is bad game coach - X's and O's at Illinois State), I do NOT want him coaching here at SLU. I'd much rather try someone new from within (Jensen), another low-level head coach (Romar coming from Pepperdine) or a relatively unknown assistant from a BCS program.

SLU is a very difficult job b/c of the the lack of tradition, lack of winning, lack of TV, revenue/budgets ... but most importantly, b/c of the the current President/de facto AD (Fr. Biondi). I already feel we are that much closer (w/o Porter) to having a better transition after RM leaves - which I hope/expect will be 2 OR MORE years from now. If Porter must go, it is best for him to leave now, in the Spring, with only 2 scholarships still to give, with the nucleus of this team not only returning but returning as Sophs and Juniors - only 2 Seniors - and already a 7' coming in for next year. If Porter were to leave bitterly (at the same time as RM), then there would be no transition. Heck, if Brad were still our coach, he'd be telling us that he would probably be saving these 2 scholarships for next year or the year after that!! If we get someone else, then great. If not, no big deal. I, for one, am ready for the season to start!!

Any chance Rick told Porter that he's not ready to retire anytime real soon and that if he spent a couple years at Loyala as the head coach it would give him the experience necessary to come back and take over when that time finally does arrive? Could we tell these recruits that they may not have seen the last of Porter afterall?

Was your last sentence a joke? Please tell me it was a joke.

Who knows, Porter could return someday, but to tell that to recruits is absurd.

the sting of losing moser now isnt cheivous, imo it is we now go to the back of the line for berry. yesterday on 590 the desmet coach when asked about slu's involvement, ONLY mentioned how involved porter had been and added that moser is now the loyola head coach. meanwhile the interview detailed how the national coaches are coming in droves to see him play and he mentioned that berry has already set up informal visits at notre dame, purdue, and indiana and florida not far behind. i am sure young berry has been on slu's campus numerous times, but still if in fact moser was the only one "in" on berry for us, it couldnt have been worse timing for him to leave. personally when the grandson of the all time greatest billiken ends up going elsewhere, i dont think that will look good at all for the program plus it obviously will be a "miss" that will be felt regardless of his lineage.

as to the ending of your post, what are you inferring saint louis should have turned their head on all of the transgressions of young mr reed? i for one think it is absurb that it was allowed to go on as long as it did. he should have been expelled before "the incident" even happened. we are not and hopefully will never be an outlaw program as you seem to desire.

I dont agree with the bolded part of your statement.

First most college basketball fans today don't even know who Ed McCauley is the exception being the die hard SLU fans.

second this kid will may end up being top 50 recruit, if he keeps developing he may end up being an All American. We may not like it here but to most people SLU is not a big time program. I think more people would be suprised to see him sign with SLU than sign some place else

Third kids and grandkids of former players go to different schools all the time; Tim Hardaway-UTEP Tim Hardaway JR Michigan, Joe Dumars-McNesse State Jordan Dumars Michigan, Michael Jordan-UNC his kids; where ever the heck they are playing now, Doc Rivers-Marquette Austin Rivers Duke, Ralph Sampson-UVA Ralph Sampson 3.0 Minnisotta.

If he decides to go to another school it may hit harder to the people on this board and the die hard fans but the rest of the nation wont even blink an eye.

Now if he goes to a school like Dayton, or Rhode Island, or a MVC school some may take it as a slap in the face.

As for the second part of your comment concerning Willie Reed I agree 100%

Hey - Triangle just does not understand the Porter Moser thing. He interviewed for a head coaching job last year. People need too move on and expand their horizons in recruiting beyond the local and Chicago level. Who knows what is in the recruiting efforts (national (including jucos) and international). Did Coach Stevens get the top recruits in Indiana? Coaches want too move up as quickly as possible, Porter did that after several years of trying - good for him. Triangle personally doesn't care where the players come from as long as they are student/athletes in the proud SLU tradition that form a cohesive competitive unit until their season is over. With Coach Majerus leaving after this contract expires, the most important thing is the hiring of a "head coach in waiting" (not Porter Moser).

so it goes.

Hey - Triangle just does not understand the Porter Moser thing. He interviewed for a head coaching job last year. People need too move on and expand their horizons in recruiting beyond the local and Chicago level. Who knows what is in the recruiting efforts (national (including jucos) and international). Did Coach Stevens get the top recruits in Indiana? Coaches want too move up as quickly as possible, Porter did that after several years of trying - good for him. Triangle personally doesn't care where the players come from as long as they are student/athletes in the proud SLU tradition that form a cohesive competitive unit until their season is over. With Coach Majerus leaving after this contract expires, the most important thing is the hiring of a "head coach in waiting" (not Porter Moser).

so it goes.

+1

I dont agree with the bolded part of your statement.

First most college basketball fans today don't even know who Ed McCauley is the exception being the die hard SLU fans.

second this kid will may end up being top 50 recruit, if he keeps developing he may end up being an All American. We may not like it here but to most people SLU is not a big time program. I think more people would be suprised to see him sign with SLU than sign some place else

Third kids and grandkids of former players go to different schools all the time; Tim Hardaway-UTEP Tim Hardaway JR Michigan, Joe Dumars-McNesse State Jordan Dumars Michigan, Michael Jordan-UNC his kids; where ever the heck they are playing now, Doc Rivers-Marquette Austin Rivers Duke, Ralph Sampson-UVA Ralph Sampson 3.0 Minnisotta.

If he decides to go to another school it may hit harder to the people on this board and the die hard fans but the rest of the nation wont even blink an eye.

Now if he goes to a school like Dayton, or Rhode Island, or a MVC school some may take it as a slap in the face.

As for the second part of your comment concerning Willie Reed I agree 100%

It's happened to SLU before with high profile, All American players: Bob Ferry - Danny Ferry. The one difference is that Danny Ferry did not grow up in St. Louis.

It's happened to SLU before with high profile, All American players: Bob Ferry - Danny Ferry. The one difference is that Danny Ferry did not grow up in St. Louis.

Although give Easy Ed credit - he did get Kevin Shortal into a Billikens jersey. Will never forget that game out in Tucson back in '03. Did you know he is the all-time career 3-point percentage leader? 1.000% from beyond the arc. Look it up.

And?

Sorry, but this is irrelevant. We didn't even offer. No big deal at all.

If Thomas didn't get any offers from any D-1 teams he was going to walk on here.

Cuonzo is throwing his hat in the ring for Quentin Chievous. BCS schools are evaluating him. As long as he doesn't get solid offers we should still get a commit from him. SLU is still working him hard trying to lock him up.

If Thomas didn't get any offers from any D-1 teams he was going to walk on here.

Cuonzo is throwing his hat in the ring for Quentin Chievous. BCS schools are evaluating him. As long as he doesn't get solid offers we should still get a commit from him. SLU is still working him hard trying to lock him up.

I don't view losing a walk-on as a big deal.

You are correct about Chievous.

You all need to remember. When RM lost his top recruiter at Utah, the level of talent on the team dropped and not long after RM left the school.

Are you saying Porter is equal to RM's top recruiter at Utah? Didn't Utah regularly go to the NCAA and even the Final game? I don't see such top talent here at SLU. Anyway, Let's take a look at the team as it relates to Porter's recruiting.

Our best 2 players are/were not attributed to Porter. Our best player, KM, was recruited by RM himself, not Porter. Our other top player, of course, was WR who I believe commited to SLU and RM after being recruited by Angres Thorpe, not Porter.

If I recall, BC presumably read RM's letter (not Porter's) and committed to play here sight unseen. Are we giving Porter credit for recruiting KC? If so, doesn't Porter also get the credit/blame for FJ, JR, JS and Justin Jordan? How about CR? Is he another Porter recruit too?

The best 2 recruits these past 2 years have been CE and RL and Porter had nothing to do with them. Same with CS.

Unless I am wrong, RM had been after JJ more so than Porter. That leaves us with the 2 Chicago kids of MM and DE who, I believe, were largely recruited by Porter.

At the same time, if we give an assistant coach so much credit for selling RM and playing time, then shouldn't we lay some blame upon Porter as well? For not landing all the St. Louis talent that has left town. Hey, we're not just losing to Florida and Kansas but also to fellow Jesuit school G'Town and to midwest Catholic school Notre Dame. Presume Porter didn't impress Harrelson with the purchase of hot co-eds during his offical visit to SLU. I also presume that Porter messed up the recruiting of of SK.

Correct me if I am mistaken. Otherwise, sorry but this does not indicate that Porter is some really top recruiter.

Are you saying Porter is equal to RM's top recruiter at Utah? Didn't Utah regularly go to the NCAA and even the Final game? I don't see such top talent here at SLU. Anyway, Let's take a look at the team as it relates to Porter's recruiting.

Our best 2 players are/were not attributed to Porter. Our best player, KM, was recruited by RM himself, not Porter. Our other top player, of course, was WR who I believe commited to SLU and RM after being recruited by Angres Thorpe, not Porter.

If I recall, BC presumably read RM's letter (not Porter's) and committed to play here sight unseen. Are we giving Porter credit for recruiting KC? If so, doesn't Porter also get the credit/blame for FJ, JR, JS and Justin Jordan? How about CR? Is he another Porter recruit too?

The best 2 recruits these past 2 years have been CE and RL and Porter had nothing to do with them. Same with CS.

Unless I am wrong, RM had been after JJ more so than Porter. That leaves us with the 2 Chicago kids of MM and DE who, I believe, were largely recruited by Porter.

At the same time, if we give an assistant coach so much credit for selling RM and playing time, then shouldn't we lay some blame upon Porter as well? For not landing all the St. Louis talent that has left town. Hey, we're not just losing to Florida and Kansas but also to fellow Jesuit school G'Town and to midwest Catholic school Notre Dame. Presume Porter didn't impress Harrelson with the purchase of hot co-eds during his offical visit to SLU. I also presume that Porter messed up the recruiting of of SK.

Correct me if I am mistaken. Otherwise, sorry but this does not indicate that Porter is some really top recruiter.

I did not make that statement to mean Moser was a great recruiter. He supposedly was our best recruiter and I was just stating what had happened when RM lost his last top recruiter, not saying Moser was great. By the way, MM and DE are our two best recruits the last two years, imo. RL may eventually be a better player than eithet of them but, he will have to show it on the court. CE will have to prove himself again and I believe he will.

Porter is a great guy and a good recruiter, but he isn't close to Donnie Daniels as a recruiter.

This whole "recruiting local" was the demise of Soderberg. He went after the same caliber of local STL-area players and failed miserably to make any inroads. Majerus isn't Soderberg - not even close - but the inability of Soderberg to foster positive relationships with local High School coaches still lingers to this day. SLU basketball must have some enormously negative connotation over our heads in the STL coaching community. Don't even talk to me about Borgia sending kids - it ain't exactly Oak Hill Academy. Have we ever considered a Gus Mahlzan type of move where we would bring in the head coach of a Chaminade or DeSmet as an assistant at SLU if we could land a kid like Nolan Berry? Coaches want to advance their careers too, and if Majerus wanted a kid bad enough, now is the time to make something like this happen.

This whole "recruiting local" was the demise of Soderberg. He went after the same caliber of local STL-area players and failed miserably to make any inroads. Majerus isn't Soderberg - not even close - but the inability of Soderberg to foster positive relationships with local High School coaches still lingers to this day. SLU basketball must have some enormously negative connotation over our heads in the STL coaching community. Don't even talk to me about Borgia sending kids - it ain't exactly Oak Hill Academy. Have we ever considered a Gus Mahlzan type of move where we would bring in the head coach of a Chaminade or DeSmet as an assistant at SLU if we could land a kid like Nolan Berry? Coaches want to advance their careers too, and if Majerus wanted a kid bad enough, now is the time to make something like this happen.

could you please list the local high school coaches that didnt like soderberg because he shunned them? also list all the local high school coaches that rickma has won over since then? thanks i will hang up and listen.

I did not make that statement to mean Moser was a great recruiter. He supposedly was our best recruiter and I was just stating what had happened when RM lost his last top recruiter, not saying Moser was great. By the way, MM and DE are our two best recruits the last two years, imo. RL may eventually be a better player than eithet of them but, he will have to show it on the court. CE will have to prove himself again and I believe he will.

No problem. As I mentioned in another post, the recruiting legend of Porter Moser just seems to grow and grown. I like Porter. I wish he were still here. I wish he'd recruit for and be RM's assistant for 10 more years. That's not reality though. Also, I don't want to take shots at Porter but, according to some of these posts, RM is being attacked as being lazy, as a guy who is not involved in recruiting and as a guy who will fail without Moser keeping him afloat.

As to MM and DE, you may actually be correct. Maybe I should have said that CE and RL appeared to be a top priority targets these past 2 years and came more highly regarded. MM, though, did have really good credentials and DE did have a really good Senior year.

could you please list the local high school coaches that didnt like soderberg because he shunned them? also list all the local high school coaches that rickma has won over since then? thanks i will hang up and listen.

Come on Roy, as you've told us all in the past... Sodie is gone. No point dredging up the past. ;)