Moser devastating blow?

SLU_Nick

For about the last week or so this board has bestowed John Calipari-like recruiting powers upon Porter Moser. Heck, it sounds like if he could have just stuck around for another year we would be pulling in Brad Beal, Tyler Hansbrough, Derrick Rose, and Demarcus Cousins clones in 2013. I get it, he was the one out on the road most of the time...it is a set-back that we lose him for this spring recruiting class. Maybe we lose Cheivous over this.

Personally for me, while there is no ideal time for a lead assistant to leave, now is really a good a time as any. Cheivous is the main loss that I am hearing (and he still MIGHT sign) because Moser is gone. Was Cheivous supposed to step in and start over DE, BC, RL, CE, CR, or JB? (if JB ends up playing the 3). I dont think so and I am just simply not that concerned with the loss of Cheivous. If he wants to go to Iowa just to say he plays in the Big10, then fine. Come here if you want, but this one isnt stinging like Suggs or Harrelson. We have a good nucleus for next year, and winning is the first thing that gets recruits to come here. If we win next year, than it makes it less embarassing for Nolan Berry to say...Make Me a Billiken!

Shifting Gears into the staff turnover in general...

(Not trying to start a firestorm here with this next paragraph but I will say what I think a handful of people may be thinking because I know I am) I would really like to see SLU hire an African-American as an assistant if one with the proper credentials is available. I still beleive the incident is looked upon (and can be used negatively in recruiting)...something to the effect of

"SLU ruined an NBA prospect's life because he didnt stop his friend from having consensual sex with a girl...that institution is not interested in your success as an athlete and if you dont have a 3.0 GPA you will be shown out"...."Oh and you have to pass the ball 5 times in the half court set before you shoot, let me show you what its like [inserts DVD of the movie Hoosiers]"

It is naive to think that the incident will not hurt the recruiting of talented athletes who do not look like paul eckerle. And maybe, just maybe, it already has...

-Nick

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For about the last week or so this board has bestowed John Calipari-like recruiting powers upon Porter Moser. Heck, it sounds like if he could have just stuck around for another year we would be pulling in Brad Beal, Tyler Hansbrough, Derrick Rose, and Demarcus Cousins clones in 2013. I get it, he was the one out on the road most of the time...it is a set-back that we lose him for this spring recruiting class. Maybe we lose Cheivous over this.

Personally for me, while there is no ideal time for a lead assistant to leave, now is really a good a time as any. Cheivous is the main loss that I am hearing (and he still MIGHT sign) because Moser is gone. Was Cheivous supposed to step in and start over DE, BC, RL, CE, CR, or JB? (if JB ends up playing the 3). I dont think so and I am just simply not that concerned with the loss of Cheivous. If he wants to go to Iowa just to say he plays in the Big10, then fine. Come here if you want, but this one isnt stinging like Suggs or Harrelson. We have a good nucleus for next year, and winning is the first thing that gets recruits to come here. If we win next year, than it makes it less embarassing for Nolan Berry to say...Make Me a Billiken!

(Not trying to start a firestorm here with this next paragraph but I will say what I think a handful of people may be thinking because I know I am) I would really like to see SLU hire an African-American as an assistant if one with the proper credentials is available. I still beleive the incident is looked upon (and can be used negatively in recruiting)...something to the effect of

"SLU ruined an NBA prospect's life because he didnt stop his friend from having consensual sex with a girl...that institution is not interested in your success as an athlete and if you dont have a 3.0 GPA you will be shown out"...."Oh and you have to pass the ball 5 times in the half court set before you shoot, let me show you what its like [inserts DVD of the movie Hoosiers]"

It is naive to think that the incident will not hurt the recruiting of talented athletes who do not look like paul eckerle. And maybe, just maybe, it already has...

-Nick

+1 Sanity does still exist on this Board. Good post.

-Nick

the sting of losing moser now isnt cheivous, imo it is we now go to the back of the line for berry. yesterday on 590 the desmet coach when asked about slu's involvement, ONLY mentioned how involved porter had been and added that moser is now the loyola head coach. meanwhile the interview detailed how the national coaches are coming in droves to see him play and he mentioned that berry has already set up informal visits at notre dame, purdue, and indiana and florida not far behind. i am sure young berry has been on slu's campus numerous times, but still if in fact moser was the only one "in" on berry for us, it couldnt have been worse timing for him to leave. personally when the grandson of the all time greatest billiken ends up going elsewhere, i dont think that will look good at all for the program plus it obviously will be a "miss" that will be felt regardless of his lineage.

as to the ending of your post, what are you inferring saint louis should have turned their head on all of the transgressions of young mr reed? i for one think it is absurb that it was allowed to go on as long as it did. he should have been expelled before "the incident" even happened. we are not and hopefully will never be an outlaw program as you seem to desire.

Agree. Rick will hire someone else.

I recall 4 years ago when Rick hired Porter many on this board called him the big failure from Illinois State.

i think one of the things we'll miss most is his ability to pound ###### car bombs.

the sting of losing moser now isnt cheivous, imo it is we now go to the back of the line for berry. yesterday on 590 the desmet coach when asked about slu's involvement, ONLY mentioned how involved porter had been and added that moser is now the loyola head coach. meanwhile the interview detailed how the national coaches are coming in droves to see him play and he mentioned that berry has already set up informal visits at notre dame, purdue, and indiana and florida not far behind. i am sure young berry has been on slu's campus numerous times, but still if in fact moser was the only one "in" on berry for us, it couldnt have been worse timing for him to leave. personally when the grandson of the all time greatest billiken ends up going elsewhere, i dont think that will look good at all for the program plus it obviously will be a "miss" that will be felt regardless of his lineage.

as to the ending of your post, what are you inferring saint louis should have turned their head on all of the transgressions of young mr reed? i for one think it is absurb that it was allowed to go on as long as it did. he should have been expelled before "the incident" even happened. we are not and hopefully will never be an outlaw program as you seem to desire.

Well then its good that we have 2 years to re-recruit him with new coaches. He isn't signing anywhere tomorrow. Also, in 4 years here, Moser didn't land a huge national recruit so what makes you think our chances at Berry are better with porter?

C'mon, Broy, no one has suggested we want to be an outlaw program. I'm sure there were some strings pulled to get WR back into SLU, but remember he was not allowed back into the hoops program. Hell, at KY they would have given him back the keys to his escalade and had him back on the court for their first conference game. Assuming he'd ever have been expelled to begin with. As for young Mr. Berry, even PM wasn't going to convince him to give up a shot at a prestigious BCS program if that's his goal. Now granted if he ends up at Loyola I'll eat some crow, but the chances of that happening are about the same as me hitting the Powerball. As for Easy Ed being his grandfather, I don't think that's coming into play either. Doc Rivers' kid signed with Duke and I'm pretty sure Doc didn't go there. These kids have minds of their own and are going to play where they feel most comfortable with the coach, the atmosphere, the co-ed heat index, etc. I didn't like losing PM, but as stated above it's not the end of the world. PM didn't have any guarantees here, which is fine, and simply figured a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Good for him. I hope he finds big success as he seems a capable guy. If we lose Chievous because of his departure well it won't be the first time nor the last a desired recruit kicked us to the curb. Like SLU Nick pointed out, we seemingly still have a lot going for us next season, even after what's happened over the last month, so let's put our focus on next year's team. It is time this team/program got off the schneid and did something to end our years of frustration. Hopefully it starts this season, and next year will look even more promising. Maybe then we can convince a few of the Berry's, and the Chievous' , of the world to give SLU: more serious consideration. But at this point I'm just keeping my fingers crossed this team maintains its' status quo as of today, so we can all laugh at Taj Mahal's prediction that there's more turmoil ahead for the Billikens.

Just a quick response to this:

1. IMO winning will help bring Berry. He knows what SLU represents, just because a different face shows up in his living room a year before he has to make his decision, it shouldnt be a complete show stopper. Jensen goes into the Berry's living room and says, "We are sorry that Porter is not with us anymore, but the simple fact is that he went onto bigger and better things as a head coach and truth be told, that is what happens when you come to SLU, your life changes for the better and you get great opportunities...My name is Alex, Saint Louis University is still very much interested in what you can bring to the team and University, let's talk about how you are a perfect fit for what we are trying to do at SLU."

Turnover happens. Of course the DeSmet coach said Porter was the only one recruiting him...what is SLU supposed to just send the entire coaching staff on each recruiting visit just on the off chance that one person decides to leave. Give me a Break.

2. I do not think that SLU should have turned a blind eye. In fact, I agree with the action SLU took against WR after becoming more informed. But that does not change the fact that perception is reality and the only thing that has really come to light is the the river-front times graphic rendition of the events of that fateful night. All the other things are nebulous word of mouth references. We have had enough threads concerning where you are trying to take this one...I am just stating a simple fact that if I was a promising young athlete, it would be difficult to turn a blind ear to a friend or rival recruiter saying the famous Kanye West line...."SLU does not care about black people", or was that George Bush that he said that about...I can't remember :)

-Nick

Just a quick response to this:

1. IMO winning will help bring Berry. He knows what SLU represents, just because a different face shows up in his living room a year before he has to make his decision, it shouldnt be a complete show stopper. Jensen goes into the Berry's living room and says, "We are sorry that Porter is not with us anymore, but the simple fact is that he went onto bigger and better things as a head coach and truth be told, that is what happens when you come to SLU, your life changes for the better and you get great opportunities...My name is Alex, Saint Louis University is still very much interested in what you can bring to the team and University, let's talk about how you are a perfect fit for what we are trying to do at SLU."

Turnover happens. Of course the DeSmet coach said Porter was the only one recruiting him...what is SLU supposed to just send the entire coaching staff on each recruiting visit just on the off chance that one person decides to leave. Give me a Break.

2. I do not think that SLU should have turned a blind eye. In fact, I agree with the action SLU took against WR after becoming more informed. But that does not change the fact that perception is reality and the only thing that has really come to light is the the river-front times graphic rendition of the events of that fateful night. All the other things are nebulous word of mouth references. We have had enough threads concerning where you are trying to take this one...I am just stating a simple fact that if I was a promising young athlete, it would be difficult to turn a blind ear to a friend or rival recruiter saying the famous Kanye West line...."SLU does not care about black people", or was that George Bush that he said that about...I can't remember :)

-Nick

now this is a very good post. if that had been the central basis of your original post, i wouldnt have said a word.

-Nick

Excellent post Nick. I applaud you in phrasing that sentence gently. We need to have the Rooney Rule in place for this hire.

I can also see why Moser was the only one in on Berry. Hell, Majerus can't walk a flight of stairs without getting winded. Appearances are everything - Moser is young, fit, athletic, good hair, etc. Look at Majerus. Just look at the man.

Well then its good that we have 2 years to re-recruit him with new coaches. He isn't signing anywhere tomorrow. Also, in 4 years here, Moser didn't land a huge national recruit so what makes you think our chances at Berry are better with porter?

Exactly. I think it sucks Moser left and it certainly hurts the Berry recruitment but I hope some posters don't turn it into a "we surely would have had Berry if Moser had stayed" argument now that he is gone. Things like that are impossible to disprove but not all that likely. (past examples coming to mind are; we would have had Suggs if BS stayed or Darius Miles had SLU #2 on his list after St. Johns)

Exactly. I think it sucks Moser left and it certainly hurts the Berry recruitment but I hope some posters don't turn it into a "we surely would have had Berry if Moser had stayed" argument now that he is gone. Things like that are impossible to disprove but not all that likely. (past examples coming to mind are; we would have had Suggs if BS stayed or Darius Miles had SLU #2 on his list after St. Johns)

This reminds me of the devastating blow sustained by the U when Anthony Beane left.

-I hope our level of recruiting improves

That is a direct relationship with our win level improving. But while I agree, I don't know if we have a staff at this point that lends itself towards dynamic recruiting. RM is a great evaluator and a good closer I'm sure but Porter was doing the dirty work on the classes of '12 and '13 and now he's gone. We were heavily involved with several '13 kids that I'm sure are going to be top 100 players that I doubt we have a chance with anymore.

Guest BillikenReport

the sting of losing moser now isnt cheivous, imo it is we now go to the back of the line for berry.

I'm not positive but I think Moser was the lead recruiter for every local recruit, so not just Berry. He was also the key guy with the Chicago kids.

He was out often at local high school games and had been recruiting some of these young prospects for years already.

It looks like local recruiting will be more competitive now with Missouri, Tennessee (Cuonzo Martin) and Purdue more focused on the St. Louis area. Martin is still recruiting some local kids to Tennessee that he was recruiting at Missouri State.

Moser's departure shouldn't hurt next year's team much if at all, but the Billikens need someone to step up and fill that recruiting void. Moser's leaving and the uncertainty of how long Majerus will be the coach does not help future recruiting.

I'm not positive but I think Moser was the lead recruiter for every local recruit, so not just Berry. He was also the key guy with the Chicago kids.

He was out often at local high school games and had been recruiting some of these young prospects for years already.

It looks like local recruiting will be more competitive now with Missouri, Tennessee (Cuonzo Martin) and Purdue more focused on the St. Louis area. Martin is still recruiting some local kids to Tennessee that he was recruiting at Missouri State.

Moser's departure shouldn't hurt next year's team much if at all, but the Billikens need someone to step up and fill that recruiting void. Moser's leaving and the uncertainty of how long Majerus will be the coach does not help future recruiting.

Nate, other than Crews, are you hearing any names for the vacant position?

Dick Versace would be good. After leaving SLU, he was heavily involved in recruiting Magic Johnson to Michigan State...

oh, what could have been...

Dick Versace was assistant under Polk in the early '70s. Coached the freshman team. Swore and cursed so loud that it echoed in the old Kiel. This offended the old-time alums and Dick had to go.

I doubt we would signed Magic since he played in his home state which more important back then. Had more of a chance on getting Larry Bird after he had it out with Knight.

Dick Versace would be good. After leaving SLU, he was heavily involved in recruiting Magic Johnson to Michigan State...

oh, what could have been...

We're trying to have some real threads here do you mind?

Any chance Rick told Porter that he's not ready to retire anytime real soon and that if he spent a couple years at Loyala as the head coach it would give him the experience necessary to come back and take over when that time finally does arrive? Could we tell these recruits that they may not have seen the last of Porter afterall?

Any chance Rick told Porter that he's not ready to retire anytime real soon and that if he spent a couple years at Loyala as the head coach it would give him the experience necessary to come back and take over when that time finally does arrive? Could we tell these recruits that they may not have seen the last of Porter afterall?

That is not what happened.