Kiel Auditorium photos on STLtoday

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems to contradict Pistol's chronology, but it might account for why I think I saw Notre Dame at Kiel. There were actually three Notre Dame games -- '68-9, '70-1 and '72-3 (which we won).

I also wonder if there were one or more years that we played at both places for at least 1-2 games. Geezo, that's 40 years ago, and I'm lucky now if I can remember where I parked.

Joe, you saw ND when they had Adrian Dantley and Digger was the coach. That was the 72-73 season. I think I mentioned this, we got back at ND from that Austin Carr buzzer beater in the 70-71 season with a Jesse 'the Ghost' Leonard buzzer beater.

BTW, the 71-72 game at the Joyce Center we won. I think that was Diggers first year at ND. Unfortunately, I made it up to So Bend for the 73-74 game and we got creamed.

• 5 months later...

Came across a few more Kiel Auditorium pictures at this site: http://stlsportshist.../category/kiel/

Went to the Ken Burns "Prohibition" event on Monday night at the new Peabody Opera House. Sitting there and looking around got me to wondering- when Kiel Auditorium was open, did the stage at the end open up to the stage in the Opera House? So could shows have potentially extra seating, with an act facing one way (say, toward the larger Auditorium crowd) with an audience behind them at the same time?

I have no memories of the old Kiel Auditorium, and I'm not sure if I ever made it to a SLU game there. Plenty of memories from the old Arena, though.

Went to the Ken Burns "Prohibition" event on Monday night at the new Peabody Opera House. Sitting there and looking around got me to wondering- when Kiel Auditorium was open, did the stage at the end open up to the stage in the Opera House? So could shows have potentially extra seating, with an act facing one way (say, toward the larger Auditorium crowd) with an audience behind them at the same time?

I have no memories of the old Kiel Auditorium, and I'm not sure if I ever made it to a SLU game there. Plenty of memories from the old Arena, though.

Pistol, how was that? Ken came to an SMU Athletic Dept. forum last September to promote his "Tenth Inning" series, which was essentially the sequel to his "Baseball" documentary series. For a little man, he sure is a powerful presenter and very engaging with his audience. Nice guy. I'll have to check out the "Prohibition" series.

The stage in Kiel Auditorium was on the north side of the auditorium, and I think the opera house would have been north of that. I don't know if the auditorium stage actually opened to the opera house side. I've never been in the opera house.

Kiel Auditorium was a double decked horseshoe, with the stage at what would be considered the "open" (north) end. Planks were placed down from the stage to the court with folding chair seats on those planks. When I visited SLU in 1978, the SLU students, at least the ones taking me, sat on that stage side.

When I was a SLU undergraduate (the 4 years of Ekker), the SLU home games were at the Checkerdome (Arena). Buth when Rich Grawer took over, the games were moved back to Kiel Auditorium. Most of the time we sat in the red chair seats on the West side, the second level of the lower deck.

Came across a few more Kiel Auditorium pictures at this site: http://stlsportshistory.com/blog2/category/kiel/

Those take me back. Sat under the overhang below the coca cola sign. Wonder whatever happened to the huge banner of the old Billiken they had hanging over the stage.

when Kiel Auditorium was open, did the stage at the end open up to the stage in the Opera House?

Yes...the large steel "curtain" that split the stage with the Opera House on the North end and the Auditorium on the South could be opened and the stage could be "shared" between both buildings.

For those wanting a free "sneak peak" at the renovated Opera House (now as the Peabody Opera House) come downtown this weekend:

PEABODY OPERA HOUSE TO HOST PUBLIC OPEN HOUSE

THIS WEEKEND DURING TASTE OF ST. LOUIS

St. Louis – September 23-25, Taste of St. Louis comes to Soldiers’ Memorial for a weekend of fun, food and

music. Peabody Opera House is proudly sponsoring the main concert stage and will be offering those attending the festival a “taste” of the newly restored Opera House. The venue will host an open house throughout the weekend, giving those attending a sneak peek before the grand opening gala on October 1. The open house is free and open to the public.

Open House Hours:

Friday, September 23 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Saturday, September 24 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Sunday, September 25 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Peabody Opera House is a historic, 3100 seat theater in the heart of downtown St. Louis. Originally opened in 1934, Peabody Opera House stage has welcomed some of entertainment’s greatest performers, including The Rat Pack, The Rolling Stones, Ray Charles and Bruce Springsteen. A $78.7 million restoration of Peabody Opera House began in July 2010 and has been restored to its original splendor and undergone state-of-the-art upgrades. Peabody Opera House will play host to a wide variety of events, including concerts, comedy, theatricals, family shows, holiday productions and more. To find out more about the great events coming to Peabody Opera House, visit www.peabodyoperahouse.com.

Peabody Opera House will host its’ grand opening gala, An Encore 77 Years in the Making, on October 1. The event, starring Aretha Franklin and Jay Leno, will celebrate the beloved venue’s past, present and future. Proceeds from opening night will benefit the John L. Trotter Multiple Sclerosis Center at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine. Tickets are on sale now and available at the Scottrade Center Box Office, by phone at 800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.

Rereading this thread is such a treat for several reasons. I didn't remember that we had bounced back and forth between Kiel and the Arena that many times. I was a wet behind the ears frosh in '67 and a midcourt seat two rows from the floor was a real treat. Coming from a small town in Ky. to the place where the Hawks played the Celtics was a pleasurable culture shock. I regret not seeing a pro BB game before the Hawks moved.

As I recall our starting lineup was C Rich Niemann, F Joe Wiley, F Gene Moore, G Barry Orms and G Tom Thomas. Coach was Buddy Brehmer. Niemann (Celtics) and Orms (Bullets) later had cups of coffee in the NBA. Gene Moore was a very good forward with the ABA Kentucky Colonels. Maybe our record should have been better in 67-68 with 3 future pros on the team.

First Bills opponent who impressed me was Warren Armstrong (later Warren Jabali) forward for Wichita St. Not that tall, maybe 6'4, but he could jump and shoot over taller guys and he had muscles that wouldn't quit. Best player on the frosh team that year was Jimmy Irving. I am one of the several on this board whose memory is fading. Bonwich- help- was Harry Rogers in that class as well ? Can we regular Joes obtain a press/history guide ?

There has been a press guide available on slubillikens.com -- at least until the "redesign." I can't find it now, although if you do "media" in the search box, you can pull some from a few years ago.

Wasn't Harry class of '71 -- but he only played three years because of the freshman rule? The first game I can remember seeing was one with Thomas and Wiley on the team and at the Arena, so it may have been when you were a freshman, although I have no memory of ever seeing Rich Neiman play.

Rereading this thread is such a treat for several reasons. I didn't remember that we had bounced back and forth between Kiel and the Arena that many times. I was a wet behind the ears frosh in '67 and a midcourt seat two rows from the floor was a real treat. Coming from a small town in Ky. to the place where the Hawks played the Celtics was a pleasurable culture shock. I regret not seeing a pro BB game before the Hawks moved.

As I recall our starting lineup was C Rich Niemann, F Joe Wiley, F Gene Moore, G Barry Orms and G Tom Thomas. Coach was Buddy Brehmer. Niemann (Celtics) and Orms (Bullets) later had cups of coffee in the NBA. Gene Moore was a very good forward with the ABA Kentucky Colonels. Maybe our record should have been better in 67-68 with 3 future pros on the team.

First Bills opponent who impressed me was Warren Armstrong (later Warren Jabali) forward for Wichita St. Not that tall, maybe 6'4, but he could jump and shoot over taller guys and he had muscles that wouldn't quit. Best player on the frosh team that year was Jimmy Irving. I am one of the several on this board whose memory is fading. Bonwich- help- was Harry Rogers in that class as well ? Can we regular Joes obtain a press/history guide ?

Harry I believe was one year behind Irving. Maybe 2.

There has been a press guide available on slubillikens.com -- at least until the "redesign." I can't find it now, although if you do "media" in the search box, you can pull some from a few years ago.

Wasn't Harry class of '71 -- but he only played three years because of the freshman rule? The first game I can remember seeing was one with Thomas and Wiley on the team and at the Arena, so it may have been when you were a freshman, although I have no memory of ever seeing Rich Neiman play.

Thanks. If Rogers was class of '71 then he was indeed on the frosh team with Jim Irving. We also supposedly had the players of the year from New Jersey and Arizona that year but they were lazy and had left SLU by the next fall.

According to Wikipedia, Harry Truman gave a speech there in which both stages were open so audiences on both sides could hear his speech. (I was also at the Ken Burns event and I must say the hall and lobby look wonderful. I actually miss the old Auditorium too. Too bad it couldn't have been saved.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel_Auditorium

Career statistical leaders

[edit] Points

1) 1,972 - Anthony Bonner, 1986-1990

2) 1,910 - Erwin Claggett, 1991-1995

3) 1,880 - Roland Gray, 1985-1989

4) 1,877 - Monroe Douglass, 1985-1989

5) 1,703 - Scott Highmark, 1991-1995

6) 1,687 - Kevin Lisch, 2005-2009

7) 1,547 - Tommie Liddell III, 2005-2009

8) 1,491 - Harry Rogers, 1970-1973

9) 1,440 - Dick Boushka, 1951-1955

10) 1,402 - Ed Macauley, 1945-1949

Career statistical leaders

[edit] Points

1) 1,972 - Anthony Bonner, 1986-1990

2) 1,910 - Erwin Claggett, 1991-1995

3) 1,880 - Roland Gray, 1985-1989

4) 1,877 - Monroe Douglass, 1985-1989

5) 1,703 - Scott Highmark, 1991-1995

6) 1,687 - Kevin Lisch, 2005-2009

7) 1,547 - Tommie Liddell III, 2005-2009

8) 1,491 - Harry Rogers, 1970-1973

9) 1,440 - Dick Boushka, 1951-1955

10) 1,402 - Ed Macauley, 1945-1949

What's especially interesting about this to me is the fact that 3 or the top 4 scores had 3 seasons of overlap. It's not like there was 1 go-to get getting 25 per night. Nice team back then, but couldn't get past XU. If only Upchurch hadn't been hosed by the administration.

Kiel Opera House memories: I saw, Mamma and the Papas; Peter,Paul,and Mary(several times): James Taylor with surprise guest Carol King(an unknown at that time; Carol Channing in "Hello Dolly"; "Tommy"; and probably other venues I can't remember. Also had my graduation there from SLUH 1962. Pleased to see it reopening. I believe Jim Golterman, who used to sing The Natonal Anthem before almost all Billiken bball games, was a moving force in saving the

Opera House.

saw the J geils band at the opera house in the early 80's. about as much fun as i ever had at a concert. peter wolf was a very underated front man.

saw the jefferson starship (without grace) and it was without a doubt the loudest concert i ever attended. had that constant ring in my ear for over a week.

Kiel Opera House memories: I saw, Mamma and the Papas; Peter,Paul,and Mary(several times): James Taylor with surprise guest Carol King(an unknown at that time; Carol Channing in "Hello Dolly"; "Tommy"; and probably other venues I can't remember. Also had my graduation there from SLUH 1962. Pleased to see it reopening. I believe Jim Golterman, who used to sing The Natonal Anthem before almost all Billiken bball games, was a moving force in saving the

Opera House.

Wow, Mammas and the Pappas? Peter, Paul, and Mary? Carol King is unknown? You must be one of the real old guys around here. Is Jim Golterman related to the Ed Golterman who monopolizes every city online article's comment sections? Nevermind, I just answered the question -- http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2009/05/whats_ed_golterman_going_to_do_now_that_the_kiel_opera_house_is_going_to_open_end_of_2010.php

Kiel Opera House: I saw Rodney Dangerfield tell his "no respect" jokes -hilarious- nonstop for an hour and forty-five minutes. No warmup act. He must have delivered 200 punchlines total. Amazing memory and delivery. One guy in the audience had the nerve to interrupt him once. His response: the normal "Hey, I work alone!". The second interruption by the same guy was pure heckling. Rodney's retort was more direct : "Hey, f***you " ! There was no more audience participation, just laughing.