Jim Crews

ACE

I think Knight and Majerus both take basketball too far sometimes and become way too intense and that leads to some regrettable actions. However, I don't think it means they're bad people. They can both be ###holes when it comes to things basketball related but I think Rick cares about his players, their grades, their futures, and the community he coaches in. If you look at his last radio interview that was posted on here where he discussed his interest in educational discrepancies involving minorities I don't it suggests that he's a terrible person.

imo knight was a successful coach in terms of wins and losses, but i think he was a horrible person and i would never have allowed a child of mine to ever have played for him. i would not have ever have wanted knight to be our billiken coach.

++1.

Majerus is the last coach in the country that needs a friend or mentor sitting next to him on the bench. He already is that guy. If Moser was the HC Crews would be a good Asst but not with Majerus.

I hope Rick realizes he needs a Moser clone, maybe someone with a better pedigree than Moser but he has to be an up and comer, with HC experience, who will recruit with abandon and has a chance to be HC when Majerus is done. Crews is a top Xs and Os guy but he isn't a lead Asst anymore.

Majerus is the last coach in the country that needs a friend or mentor sitting next to him on the bench. He already is that guy. If Moser was the HC Crews would be a good Asst but not with Majerus.

I hope Rick realizes he needs a Moser clone, maybe someone with a better pedigree than Moser but he has to be an up and comer, with HC experience, who will recruit with abandon and has a chance to be HC when Majerus is done. Crews is a top Xs and Os guy but he isn't a lead Asst anymore.

+1

I dont think we need x's and o's. We need a lights out, knock em dead recruiter who will help us continue to get great classes.

+1

I dont think we need x's and o's. We need a lights out, knock em dead recruiter who will help us continue to get great classes.

I don't know if he'll ever be a worthy head coach, but recent MU hire, Frank Haith, really recruited well as an assistant for Texas. If he could be had for a reasonable salary, I think we should go after him.

broy said:

imo knight was a successful coach in terms of wins and losses, but i think he was a horrible person and i would never have allowed a child of mine to ever have played for him. i would not have ever have wanted knight to be our billiken coach.

Are you serious? Just because the television shows his very public antics doesn't mean he is like that all the time. He built very high-character, classy men at IU-B. Other than the Alford incident, how many times did you hear about allegations of public atrocities committed by his players? He ran a very tight ship in Bloomington.

broy said:

Are you serious? Just because the television shows his very public antics doesn't mean he is like that all the time. He built very high-character, classy men at IU-B. Other than the Alford incident, how many times did you hear about allegations of public atrocities committed by his players? He ran a very tight ship in Bloomington.

metz nose around. there are as many ugly booby knight stories of his mental cruelty to his players as there are for rickma.

metz nose around. there are as many ugly booby knight stories of his mental cruelty to his players as there are for rickma.

Having a chance to meet Bobby Knight on a few occasions, he really is an ######.

It doesn't make him any less of a good coach though.

of all of the bob knight disciples, Jim Crews is the closest thing to the General in personality. cringe. RM needs somebody that is his polar opposite in that spot, not a carbon copy.

Hey diddy... are the stretts talking about spring recruiting targets? Things seem pretty quiet. Do we have a shot with Crossland? Any bigs we are targeting?

of all of the bob knight disciples, Jim Crews is the closest thing to the General in personality. cringe. RM needs somebody that is his polar opposite in that spot, not a carbon copy.

Bob Weltlich?

I week ago I read an autobiography on the Tuohy's (the family that adopted Michael Ohler). Sean Tuohy (the adopting father) stated in the book that he played for Bob Weltlich as Ole Miss's starting point guard in the late 70's. Weltlich was the coach and prior was assistant to Bobby Knight on that 32-0 1976 Indiana team. Sean Tuohy stated that playing for Weltlich literally "sucked the game right out of him". Planned to quit several times but said because financial reasons stuck it out. Also hated the game when playing for him. He also stated that Weltlich later moved on to Univ of Texas in the early 80s (actually won-loss record at Ole Miss was quite good with its 1st SEC championship) and the Texas team promptly quit.

broy said:

Do yourself a favor and read John Feinstein's "Season On A Brink." It will give you a very good perspective on the General Robert Knight. I also thought it was just one of the good sports books Feinstein has written that I have enjoyed reading.

Hell, lets hire Crews. It would make too much sense to hire anyone that any player in this country might want to play for.

Crews was a prick when he was at Evansville. Still a prick today. No way he should even get a sniff at this job.

This stuff is all rather silly. There are lots and lots and lots of coaches out there with "good" reputations as people and behind the scenes they are not who many casual observers think they are and vice versa with the casual public perception of "bad" rep coaches. Unless one is around individual people on a regular basis, one has no idea who and what they are most of the time.

John Jr. Feinstein for example isn't exactly the nicest person in the room much of the time...so to speak.

Take the Debbie Yow example. She's been getting hammered as the tough, brash female etc...and she is such, but there is plenty of sexism and double standards going on there. Gary Williams isn't the nicest guy in the room either. But he's buddies with Feinstein so the articles get one sides. ...etc...

Things aren't always what they seem good or bad and there are plenty of good rep coaches not as good of dudes as you may think and vice versa for the bad rep ones...etc...

As for Crews, he wouldn't be a good fit at SLU at this time.