Mizzou appears to have hired a coach

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well miami was the 73rd rpi team this past season and over the last 5 seasons has an average rpi rating of 85. so obviously coach frank thinks he just improved himself. so probably somewhere between 70 and 85.

Roy, as much I would like to see Mizzou rated that high as a program, that is crazy thinking. Read all of Nate's retweets, none of those guys that were shocked by this hire would be shocked at all if they all thought Mizzou was rated that high as a program.

Don't look now, but Cheesy and I are in agreement.

Roy, as much I would like to see Mizzou rated that high as a program, that is crazy thinking. Read all of Nate's retweets, none of those guys that were shocked by this hire would be shocked at all if they all thought Mizzou was rated that high as a program.

Don't look now, but Cheesy and I are in agreement.

It's really not so bad in moderation, Tonka.

:lol::lol::lol: Not really that shocking.

You must be in a vacuum because most of the national media is also shocked. Guess this disproves your theory that I would support any coach hired by Mizzou. However, I'm used to it. Hey, I've been a fan of the Billikens, football Cardinals, Rams, and Mizzou football in the 80s and 90s. I know about disappointing hires, as you do too.

SLU can now boast the best coach in the state. If ever a time to go after local talent. Now is the time.

With RM, SLU could always claim this. However, no one would ever call him the most exciting, nor palatable coach in the state. However, now, I would say that he's the best overall coach to play for, and probably has the best facilities as well. I think he's also in a fairly unique place to say to a talented big man, "Hey, if you come play for us, you can start now, and we WILL win now. You are the missing piece." Lots of coaches say those things, but few actually mean it. For us, he can point to our plethora of talent at guard, our dearth of it down low, and his unique ability to coach big men. We need ONE nice big man for next year. RM should be on the road like a gotdamn maniac, finding that one big man RIGHT NOW. Then we can fill in our AC.

With RM, SLU could always claim this. However, no one would ever call him the most exciting, nor palatable coach in the state. However, now, I would say that he's the best overall coach to play for, and probably has the best facilities as well. I think he's also in a fairly unique place to say to a talented big man, "Hey, if you come play for us, you can start now, and we WILL win now. You are the missing piece." Lots of coaches say those things, but few actually mean it. For us, he can point to our plethora of talent at guard, our dearth of it down low, and his unique ability to coach big men. We need ONE nice big man for next year. RM should be on the road like a gotdamn maniac, finding that one big man RIGHT NOW. Then we can fill in our AC.

Or maybe there is an AC candidate with a connection to a big man. Agree with you though, RM has a good story for a big man. Rich and compelling.

I agree with almost all of this, but I still think Mizzou has the edge in facilities.

You must be in a vacuum because most of the national media is also shocked. Guess this disproves your theory that I would support any coach hired by Mizzou. However, I'm used to it. Hey, I've been a fan of the Billikens, football Cardinals, Rams, and Mizzou football in the 80s and 90s. I know about disappointing hires, as you do too.

Well, I'm listening to Greg Doyal on the radio right now and he's saying that the Mizzou job is not as attractive as most Mizzou people think. He also said that it was not a destination job. I said the same thing on here a year or two ago and the Mizzou trolls got ticked at me for sayint that. Also, the guy from the Sporting News said something similar earlier this morning. The one guy who was shocked was Mizzou cheerleader DeArmond... he was practically in tears talking about this... :D

As opposed to all the hype, Missouri is not a top notch program that would attract Painter, Stephens, et all. No way.

Delusional Burwell and shill Bernie tried hard to drum up interest, but their articles, tweets, radio bytes were nonsense.

Hey, Haith could turn out to be a very good coach, but it is a huge PR disaster for MU.

Reality now sets in, MU is a middle of the pack program in a power conference, now the sheep know it, too.

I agree with almost all of this, but I still think Mizzou has the edge in facilities.

I can't comment on that, having only seen SLU's facilities. Obviously the BCS football atmosphere helps Mizzou recruit, too. Everybody loves to get wasted on brats and bud light and motorboat dumb cheerleaders. I don't know how much SLU and Mizzou were really competing for recruits to begin with, though. However, if it means us getting even one good recruit (esp. a big man) because Anderson's gone, then I'm glad for it.

As opposed to all the hype, Missouri is not a top notch program that would attract Painter, Stephens, et all. No way.

Delusional Burwell and shill Bernie tried hard to drum up interest, but their articles, tweets, radio bytes were nonsense.

Hey, Haith could turn out to be a very good coach, but it is a huge PR disaster for MU.

Reality now sets in, MU is a middle of the pack program in a power conference, now the sheep know it, too.

Mizzou will be weakened if this hire actually happens. This guy seems to be known as a

good recruiter. He has no known ties to the Midwest, his

closest are as an assistant in Texas at Texas A&M and Texas. The hire is highly questionable and a PR negative so far for Mizzou.

Mo. State has hired a Midwestern based coach, but a mere rookie.

Can Majerus be roused for one last recruiting push? All he needs is a big man

to replace Willie. Everything else is in place.

But the loss of Associate Head Coach and recruiter Porter Moser hurts,

especially now. It would good if Majerus could get Paul Biancardi back from

ESPN to replace Moser. That's who I'd be targeting. Biancardi was the 2nd

assistant on Majerus' first staff at SLU and the former Wright State Head Coach.

Give him the Associate Head Coach position. Is it correct that Majerus has 2 years left on his

contract? His time at SLU would seem to be relatively limited even if his contract is extended. So the Associate Head Coach position should be an attractive spot for a coach with an eye toward eventually taking over as SLU Head Coach.

I agree with above posts that SLU has the best Coach in the State of Missouri, but SLU had the best Coach in the State before these latest moves too.

Now is the time to make SLU Basketball really relevant again. The in-state competition and much of the A-10 competition are both in transition.

I can't comment on that, having only seen SLU's facilities. Obviously the BCS football atmosphere helps Mizzou recruit, too. Everybody loves to get wasted on brats and bud light and motorboat dumb cheerleaders. I don't know how much SLU and Mizzou were really competing for recruits to begin with, though. However, if it means us getting even one good recruit (esp. a big man) because Anderson's gone, then I'm glad for it.

Yeah I think it goes back to my belief that we don't compete for recruits anyway. Even with Anderson we recruited a way different sort of big man than Majerus would be looking for anyway. Traditional bigs weren't a super great fit for "the fastest 40 minutes."

Mizzou will be weakened if this hire actually happens. This guy seems to be known as a

good recruiter. He has no known ties to the Midwest, his

closest are as an assistant in Texas at Texas A&M and Texas. The hire is highly questionable and a PR negative so far for Mizzou.

Yeah but no one's gonna remember what the PR was like if Haith is successful at MU. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with what is a talented squad next year. This isn't remotely like the situation Anderson inherited, the Cellar isn't bare. He has a great reputation as a recruiter, and I have to think it'll be easier to recruit at Mizzou vs. Miami (in basketball, obviously). He has 3 scholarships this year and 6 opening up next year so we'll know if he can be successful pretty quickly.

Yeah I think it goes back to my belief that we don't compete for recruits anyway. Even with Anderson we recruited a way different sort of big man than Majerus would be looking for anyway. Traditional bigs weren't a super great fit for "the fastest 40 minutes."

With Anderson at Mizzou and Majerus at SLU, SLU and Mizzou were not competing for recruits, at least not many of them.

But that was not the case in the past. Mizzou was a recruiting adversary when Norm Stewart was at Mizzou and Rich Grawer and his predecessors were at SLU. When I was at SLU, the early big news was Ricky Frazier transferring from SLU to Mizzou, followed by the recruitment of Steve Stipanovich. and before that, Mark Dressler, both from DeSmet. When Grawer took over at SLU, Ted Mimlitz (SLUH) transferred from Mizzou to SLU.

I still can't figure out this Mizzou hire. Will the Curators stop this or act as rubber stamps? They were being lobbied minutes after this reported hire leaked late last night.

I dont get this hire at all.

Haith has proven he cant win in big time conference 7 years of medicore basketball at Miami has proven this.

And it wasnt like he was getting beat in the late 90's early 2000's ACC. It's still a good conferenc but not like it was a few years back.

I think they would of been better off going after a mid-major coach. With a mid major guy you still have hope for improvement. With the Haith hire Mizzou fans can just mark it down in October that they will be around 500 a win a few games in the NIT.

As for Burwell I have a feeling that if Haith had a different skin tone and the same "accomplishments" he would be ripping the hire to shreads.

Burwell likes one thing about this hire and it has nothing to do with basketball.

I dont get this hire at all.

Haith has proven he cant win in big time conference 7 years of medicore basketball at Miami has proven this.

And it wasnt like he was getting beat in the late 90's early 2000's ACC. It's still a good conferenc but not like it was a few years back.

I think they would of been better off going after a mid-major coach. With a mid major guy you still have hope for improvement. With the Haith hire Mizzou fans can just mark it down in October that they will be around 500 a win a few games in the NIT.

As for Burwell I have a feeling that if Haith had a different skin tone and the same "accomplishments" he would be ripping the hire to shreads.

Burwell likes one thing about this hire and it has nothing to do with basketball.

I think that he will have more success at Mizzou than at Miami, but his ceiling is totally unknown which is probably the most worrying thing.

Well, I'm listening to Greg Doyal on the radio right now and he's saying that the Mizzou job is not as attractive as most Mizzou people think. He also said that it was not a destination job. I said the same thing on here a year or two ago and the Mizzou trolls got ticked at me for sayint that. Also, the guy from the Sporting News said something similar earlier this morning. The one guy who was shocked was Mizzou cheerleader DeArmond... he was practically in tears talking about this... :D

I agree that Mizzou is no longer a destination job, but the Illini isn't either. There are only a few programs like that, KU, Duke, UK, etc. Both Mizzou and the Illini are similar programs right now, which is Top 25-35, year in and year out. However, if Haith turns out to be as bad as what experts are saying, then they could fall down to an also-ran status in the Big 12.

Even with Alden's bad hires, Quin Snyder and Cindy Stein, one made the Elite Eight, while the other made the Sweet 16. Both deserved to be fired, but I know many programs that would beg for that type of failure. I think I speak for everyone here that SLU would be one of those programs. Certainly, I'm pessimistic about this hire, but he's been successful in hiring coaches in almost every sport.

I agree that Mizzou is no longer a destination job, but the Illini isn't either. There are only a few programs like that, KU, Duke, UK, etc. Both Mizzou and the Illini are similar programs right now, which is Top 25-35, year in and year out. However, if Haith turns out to be as bad as what experts are saying, then they could fall down to an also-ran status in the Big 12.

Even with Alden's bad hires, Quin Snyder and Cindy Stein, one made the Elite Eight, while the other made the Sweet 16. Both deserved to be fired, but I know many programs that would beg for that type of failure. I think I speak for everyone here that SLU would be one of those programs. Certainly, I'm pessimistic about this hire, but he's been successful in hiring coaches in almost every sport.

No, you certainly don't speak for everyone here. I have no interest in Ricky Clemons, the three-years probation and the cocaine addiction that the Quin Snyder era brought. A flukey trip to the Elite 8 as a #12 seed makes it all worthwhile? No thanks. Not the kind of failure I'm interested in. Sorry to disappoint you. There are a lot of programs that I hope that SLU could be more like, but Mizzou is not one of them.

No, you certainly don't speak for everyone here. I have no interest in Ricky Clemons, the three-years probation and the cocaine addiction that the Quin Snyder era brought. A flukey trip to the Elite 8 as a #12 seed makes it all worthwhile? No thanks. Not the kind of failure I'm interested in. Sorry to disappoint you. There are a lot of programs that I hope that SLU could be more like, but Mizzou is not one of them.

I think based on the way people felt about traingate that most people here would love to have basketball success regardless of morals.

:lol:

This board can't even agree what our final record is in a given year (to count the Rockhurst game or not). Pretty hard to imagine anybody saying "I speak for everyone here" on anything.

:lol:

This board can't even agree what our final record is in a given year (to count the Rockhurst game or not). Pretty hard to imagine anybody saying "I speak for everyone here" on anything.

Exactly, but somehow, trolling aj is the guy who thinks he can speak for everyone here... :rolleyes: