Dayton Makes Coaching Decision

Reports are that UD will hire Arizona assistant Archie Miller. Yes, he's Sean Miller's younger brother.

UD hires Archie Miller

You mean Dayton didn't hire from within? No longer succession system in place with Gregory? How could this be? I thought that only happened at SLU? (Sarcasm). Miller was an assistant with Arizona, Ohio St, NC St and Western Kentucky...in only 8 years time.

You mean Dayton didn't hire from within? No longer succession system in place with Gregory? How could this be? I thought that only happened at SLU? (Sarcasm). Miller was an assistant with Arizona, Ohio St, NC St and Western Kentucky...in only 8 years time.

Obviously Gregory didn't have a good relationship with his AD :D

Up in arms over around the Triple D. The sweater vests are not happy about this one. Archie Miller, brother of Sean, former head coach at hated Xavier, and his name is ARCHIE .... just not really happy. Crying along the "if you can't beat them, join them" thought line.

Sounds like the UD AD has placed his job security in Miller's hands. Given the article, it sounds like to me that Wabler had his idea and mind made up and went hard after Miller, 32, who has been an assistant in the ACC (NC State), Big Ten (Ohio State) and the Pac 10 (Arizona). But he is a coat-tails kind of guy according to a lot of alumni and UD season ticket holders. And he's completely unproven on the game startegy and management. So only time will tell. http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/university-of-dayton-flyers/ud-hire-hopes-for-home-run-1126362.html

Hard to tell where this is going to go; could be great, could be a major flop. I think Miller is going to be successful. YouDee is the second largest basketball revenue producer in the A10, trailing only Xavier by about $1 million (Xavier boasts $10 million in basketball-produced revenue). Dayton folks believe that should equate into a much more important national program out of the Flyer kingdom but this ain't the Yankees. You can't buy talent (supposedly) at the college level. And the so-called YouDee tradition is only three NIT titles in their overall history. (Of note, the stats given to me by the YouDee fan also said SLU was #3 in the A10 with almost $3.6 million in basketball-produced revenue; the only other A10 program with over $3 million is Fordam -- really showing how money produced does not mean court-level success. Temple produces most of its revenue from football, so I was told).

YouDee players seem happier --- less structure in the offense and no "commando" pressure. I guess they didn't really like to hustle or play in a structured system as was the case with Gregory. Yet they still signed up to play for that? Interesting.

Maybe they weren't doing what he asked, but I've seen more structured play in the rec.

I remember Sean Miller wanted to bring him in at X to be an assistant or Director of Basketball Operations. Apparently X has a no nepostism rule, and it wasn't allowed. This could either be a great hire for UD, or a bad one.

It does alarm me more than some other hires. If he turns out to be as good as Sean was at X, the whole conference could be in trouble. Guess we will wait and see.

I remember Sean Miller wanted to bring him in at X to be an assistant or Director of Basketball Operations. Apparently X has a no nepostism rule, and it wasn't allowed. This could either be a great hire for UD, or a bad one.

It does alarm me more than some other hires. If he turns out to be as good as Sean was at X, the whole conference could be in trouble. Guess we will wait and see.

I think he'll do a good job. It shouldn't be hard for him to be a better in-game coach than Gregory.

Who did the Dayton fans think they were going to hire? Shaka Smart? Taking a risk on a up and coming asst. coach at a power conference school with ties to their market seems to be a reasonable move. The price to play at the upper levels of the HC market have skyrocketed.

name five famous "Archie's".

i can only name two, Archie, comic strip and Archie Manning.

C'mon, don't leave out Archie Bunker. That show was off the air before I was born. Didn't expect you to miss that one Roy.

Archie Griffin is the only person to win the Heisman twice.