PORTER MOSER

AGB91

I'm not so sure he'll do a good job. He represents himself well and seems to recruit well but hasn't demonstrated in game skills.

Usually the loss of an Ast Coach wouldn't phase me that much but there is just so much turmoil with this team it disturbs me.

Why is having an assistant coach get a head coaching job considered turmoil? Normally that is considered a good thing because it shows that an assistant in your program is well respected and he gets an opportunity to improve his situation.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is having an assistant coach get a head coaching job considered turmoil? Normally that is considered a good thing because it shows that an assistant in your program is well respected and he gets an opportunity to improve his situation.

turmoil, agitation, unrest, disorder

The normal order of things is that Moser is our Ast Head Coach he does recruiting etc

the normal order of things is that a player plays each year and progresses towards graduation

When those things don't happen as per usual that creates turmoil.

Ast Coaches moving on is usually a good thing because that means the program is doing well. Our program isn't doing well. Our program has a lot of turn over. I guess that is the new normal under Majerus. So for a Majerus team this isn't turmoil it is just normal.

Hire Jeff Capel as associate head coach as a lead in for next year to be head coach. Unlikely but ideal.

I actually like this idea. John Pelphrey wouldn't be bad in that role either. He had a top 5 class committed to Arkansas when they let him go.

I thought you thought we only lost players becuase Rickma was a meanie.

You should be happy. This might actual lead to the hiring of someone that actually wants to recruit the area.

I don't get mad at RIckma for what he does. It's worked for him.

I'm more concerned with having coaches who recruit North America at this point than the St. Louis area.

I say promote Tony Young for what it's worth.

I actually like this idea. John Pelphrey wouldn't be bad in that role either. He had a top 5 class committed to Arkansas when they let him go.

I love the Jeff Capel suggestion. Also, would pelphrey bring B.J. Young?

Will this season ever end? One thing after another.

I'm not one of those who had penciled in Porter as future HC of the Billikens but his loss will still be felt.

We have two scholarships to fill for this upcoming season. The coach who recruited those kids is now at another school. Doesn't help us in filling these at all.

Porter has really lived up to his Associate HC title. He does a large portion of the work in running the program. Majerus just isn't up to it anymore. Moser's replacement will have a ton of responsibilities.

Like it or not Porter was spearheading the local recruiting classes of '12 & '13. To many of the kids like Berry, Martin, Granger, Williams, Virdure Porter was the first member of the coaching staff they saw and the one they had the most contact with. Moser was very well liked locally, his loss will be felt deeply in this area among kids and their parents.

I don't think we can promote from within. If we do we are handling the reins over to while capable coaches in Harrimann or Jensen, they are inexperienced in the ins and outs or running a major D-1 program. If we went that route we would be at a serious disadvantage I believe.

There are some coaches out there that to me are viable candidates to be guys who can be the next in line while serving under Majerus for a short time. Pat Knight, Todd Lickliter, Keno Davis, just to name a couple off the top of my head. Could we lure Paul Biancardi away from ESPN?

Also we know Moser was being paid fairly well for an Asst. Will Biondi take a chance to force Majerus into promoting from within to go on the cheap or will he pony up the bucks to lure a future successor onto the staff?

I think Capel and Pelphrey and even some of the other I mentioned may be out of our league in terms of financials. These guys were making big bucks at major schools so now they will want what 150,000 grand to be 2nd fiddle to Majerus at SLU? It is a real step down for them. We'd have to find a broken down guy or a guy with area connections or personal ones to Majerus.

Keno was a long time asst at Iowa, coached in the Valley and at SEMO. Todd Lickliter has midwest connections obviously and has been out of work for awhile. Biancardi could be a guy we could lure away from ESPN for the right money I think. Pelphrey, Capel I think those guys could get higher paying jobs somewhere else, Knight just comes with a lot of baggage.

Maybe if BJ can take classes at Harris Stowe. No way he could get into SLU.

First, I hope we don't lose a guy like Chievous or other recruits because they follow PM to his new job. Second, I'm going to express a Broy fear here,was PM's biggest role to serve as a buffer between the players and RM, ie "hey, coach didn't really mean that", and might there be other players willing to follow him if he was? As for the future AC, I'd love to see RM bring Biancardi back or get a recently released young HC like a Pelphrey or Capel. Yes, these guys missed at AK and OK, but so did Bill Belechek at Cleveland and he's done alright at NE. There's something to be said for getting the HC experience and learning from your mistakes. I'd think if there was an incentive to be SLU's next HC after RM departs they might take a little cut now for they big payoff later. Time for Fr. Biondi, RM, and some of the big pocket donors to sit down and say, this is an important hire. Still, we just can't have a quiet un-eventful offseason, can we? WR, CS, now PM... God, please let it stop!

First, I hope we don't lose a guy like Chievous or other recruits because they follow PM to his new job. Second, I'm going to express a Broy fear here,was PM's biggest role to serve as a buffer between the players and RM, ie "hey, coach didn't really mean that", and might there be other players willing to follow him if he was? As for the future AC, I'd love to see RM bring Biancardi back or get a recently released young HC like a Pelphrey or Capel. Yes, these guys missed at AK and OK, but so did Bill Belechek at Cleveland and he's done alright at NE. There's something to be said for getting the HC experience and learning from your mistakes. I'd think if there was an incentive to be SLU's next HC after RM departs they might take a little cut now for they big payoff later. Time for Fr. Biondi, RM, and some of the big pocket donors to sit down and say, this is an important hire. Still, we just can't have a quiet un-eventful offseason, can we? WR, CS, now PM... God, please let it stop!

Why does everyone consider this a big negative?

As a manager, when I saw one my mid-level supervisors move on to something bigger and better I always felt a sense of pride. Billiken nation should feel the same way.

Also, the fact that Rick can attract assistants at the level of Paulie B and Mosher is a credit to him. No reason he can't get another. Lots of unemployed excellent former coaches would love to get that second chance under Rick. Hewitt or Pelphrey I feel would be excellent candidates.

Why does everyone consider this a big negative?

As a manager, when I saw one my mid-level supervisors move on to something bigger and better I always felt a sense of pride. Billiken nation should feel the same way.

Also, the fact that Rick can attract assistants at the level of Paulie B and Mosher is a credit to him. No reason he can't get another. Lots of unemployed excellent former coaches would love to get that second chance under Rick. Hewitt or Pelphrey I feel would be excellent candidates.

Didn't mean to sound negative, Al. Great opportunity for PM to show his mettle. And that's what life's all about. Learn, move on, move up. Good luck to PM and his family. But as a Billiken fan, I was hoping this offseason might be a quiet one for us. It's turning out to be a little disconcerting. We were all hoping for WR to make an academic recovery. Didn't happen. We were all hoping for no player turnover. See ya and good luck, CS. Now PM leaves before the spring signing period. We all know he was the lead man on recruiting and that RM's contacts with recruits was probably a rambling one sided conversation about his former players at Utah over a nice meal. My fear is that if our recruits follow PM to Loyola, we've got some important roster spots to fill and it's pretty late in the hunt to be bagging the good ones.

I don't get mad at RIckma for what he does. It's worked for him.

I'm more concerned with having coaches who recruit North America at this point than the St. Louis area.

I say promote Tony Young for what it's worth.

Unless you have some real insight as to why Tony Young is deserving, I will just consider this another uniformed comment.

Didn't mean to sound negative, Al. Great opportunity for PM to show his mettle. And that's what life's all about. Learn, move on, move up. Good luck to PM and his family. But as a Billiken fan, I was hoping this offseason might be a quiet one for us. It's turning out to be a little disconcerting. We were all hoping for WR to make an academic recovery. Didn't happen. We were all hoping for no player turnover. See ya and good luck, CS. Now PM leaves before the spring signing period. We all know he was the lead man on recruiting and that RM's contacts with recruits was probably a rambling one sided conversation about his former players at Utah over a nice meal. My fear is that if our recruits follow PM to Loyola, we've got some important roster spots to fill and it's pretty late in the hunt to be bagging the good ones.

Larry, did not mean to single you out, the whole string was negative.

If you recall, just prior to hiring Romer, SLU's AD (can't rememeber his name and he now is at SO FL) interviewed Bliss (thank God he did not take the job) the New Mexico AD called SLU the 'deadend for coaches'. I think with the hiring of Rick, building of Chaifetz and the increase in resources (agree, this is touch and go), we turned that page.

This hiring of a Associate is crucial. With the of Assistants you can take a 50-50 chance a novice will develop into a up and comer. With the Associate you have to be 95% sure he can step into being the head coach.

Now we are not privey to the private conversations between Porter and Rick, who is to say Rick said, "Porter, you done everything I asked, you been loyal and you are a good friend. Try like he** to get out here because you are not going to be HC. I may not last that much longer and I hate see you back in unemployed limbo. The vibes I am getting from Bondi, the AD and the big time donors are not good. This is a business." Also, lets face it, Rick is in 60's and in fragile health and Porter, he is what, 0-5 or 6 when he was given the HC seat. This going back to the URI game when Rick's girlfriend had a car accident, when Rick was injured by Paul and the Montezuma revenge down in Cancun. To be fair with Porter, we would probably lost those games anyway.

What makes this job so attractive is, I would think, who ever is selected would have the inside track to replace Rick. Which, I hope I am wrong, will probably in be 2 to 3 more years max. The HC job now has a lot to offer, 7 figure salary, Chaifetz, the only BBall show in town, etc.. So lets make this a good one and not turn back the page when we were the 'dead end for coaches'.

i dint think we have an existing person on staff at a point in their career to be able to step into porter moser's shoes. harrimann has only been in the country for what 3 years? jensen is a good chauffer and practice player and liason for the players, but has he championed any of our recruits? tony young could possibly replace jensen, but no way he replaces moser.

i would hope we are looking for someone who truly is an experienced recruiter. previous head coaching experience would be nice. someone that truly could be thought of as a possible replacement for rickma in a short time.

Billikan- u know his m.o. This is the same guy who was bashing our staff for not recruiting mclemore hard enough and who insisted that oak hill wold make sure he's eligible. Also same guy who thinks harrelson would have ridden pine behind remekun. He is billikenroy jr.

Do you have any inside information you want to share with the rest of us with this supposedly informed position. My guess is that you have no information whatsoever and this is pure rank speculation with no basis.

Unless you have some real insight as to why Tony Young is deserving, I will just consider this another uniformed comment.

Sorry for having an opinion. I'm not a reporter, I'm allowed to say who I would like to be our assistant coach.

Tony Young has a great relationship with our players, especially the younger guards, and I think could be a very good recruiter.

Maybe if BJ can take classes at Harris Stowe. No way he could get into SLU.

While I do think that B.J.'s chances of qualifying are higher than you think his chances are (He got a 22 on the ACT, which easily meets the qualifying standards), it is a legitimate concern. Keep in mind, if he can get into Arkansas, he can get into SLU, but anyone with that many transfers between high schools is a red flag.

While I do think that B.J.'s chances of qualifying are higher than you think his chances are (He got a 22 on the ACT, which easily meets the qualifying standards), it is a legitimate concern. Keep in mind, if he can get into Arkansas, he can get into SLU, but anyone with that many transfers between high schools is a red flag.

If he can get in to ark he can get in to slu? Really? Why is that?

Also getting ejected from 3 high school games might raise a red flag but thats just me.

I don't think all this turnover / "turmoil" is a bad thing. There is usually a silver lining in everything. You can say a lot of things, but the bottom line is that something is not working. We haven't even seen the NIT in how many years, and NO we're not striving for the NIT. Sometimes, a change is good. We can point fingers all we want and speculate at why we haven't won more, but we haven't. Sometimes some fresh changes do everybody good. PM is a great guy, media friendly, good recruiter, and so on, but a new fresh AC might bring some needed changes and perspective to this team. A new AC will bring in new contacts and will likely have recruiting ties somewhere that may bring in players we are not aware of yet.

WR being gone will be a good thing in the long run as well. It's got to be tough waiting and hoping to see if one of your top players may return. I think it does wonders having some closure on something like that. It may not seem like it at first and no doubt this is a different team without WR, but I think it just opens the opporunity for somebody else.

RM has way too many contacts to not land a good AC in place of Porter. As others have said, this may be a GREAT opportunity to bring in a Coach who will eventually take over the reigns. I think we all liked Porter, but I think we can do better for a future replacement for RM.

We were reminded on this Board about the guard play of Highmark, Waldman, and Claggett and the undersized big men. I think we have the guards to be better than those three and our future bigs have bright futures. The offseason always stinks as it's a long waiting game, but I think next year will be bright and I think RM will have his time to shine. How bright will that shine be? Well, that we do have to wait to see.

If he can get in to ark he can get in to slu? Really? Why is that?

nh is correct. academically slu has allowed recruits into slu as long as they met the minimum ncaa standards for quite sometime. i believe slu changed on that back in spoon days.

now that said, slu has not compromised on academic progress once a student athlete is enrolled at slu.