willie declaring for the NBA draft

brianstl

Not accurate. Willie wasn't a spectacular 1 on 1 defender. Opposing big men could score on him. But his shotblocking erased many drives to the hoop and forced opposing guards to play on the perimeter against our stout 3 point defense.

How is it not accurate. Willie's shot blocking definitely brought something to the table. It didn't make him a good defender. You even admit he is not a good one on one defender.

A poster was talking about defense against other teams big men. I pointed out Willie wasn't all that defensively. You seem to agree with me that Willie was great in defending opposing teams big men.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one not sure WR is leaving? there has been no announcement that hes declared, nonetheless hired an agent.

You probably won't read an announcement. He wasn't on the team.

1. Half of the underclassmen who declared early last year withdrew from the draft

2. May 8 is an important date

3. Good Luck to Willie with whatever avenue he pursues

College underclassmen and international players who don't turn 22 this year have until April 24 to declare themselves eligible for the NBA draft. However, under the NCAA's new rules, underclassmen who want to retain their college eligibility have until May 8 to withdraw from the draft. In previous years, the NCAA followed the NBA's guidelines that gave underclassmen until mid-June to decide. The NBA will retain their June 15 withdrawal date, but for any college players who want to keep their eligibility, May 8 is the new date.

This new rule dramatically reduces the time college underclassmen have to determine their draft stock. The deadline takes place before the NBA's draft combine. The NBA starts holding private workouts on April 29 to give players a short window to determine their draft stock before the NCAA's window closes.

Last year, 80 college players and 23 international players declared as early entry candidates. Forty-eight of them withdrew from the draft. That left 50 college players and five international players as the early entry candidates.

Echo all the good lucks and best wishes to WR in whatever he chooses. However, it seems to me that whoever is WR's main handler, Airtime?, should be removed from his inner circle. The move to that phony academy his SR year of HS, and then missing half his SR year. The knee jerk decision to ask for his release from the scholie. The obvious lack of a positive influence re school work and refrain from other shenanigans in order to stay on the court for SLU. And now this sudden announcement to leave for the NBA? Unless some NBA scouts are dropping strong hints WR should come out, nothing about this decision makes any sense. While WR is a good athlete, I don't see him having an NBA skill set at this point. The point here being WR's future is not being well thought out by his brain trust, whoever they may be. Then again it just may be as simple as he goose egged his mid terms and there is no hope for an academic recovery. I still think back to that tweet of his about being in the library and saying something like, it's hard hitting the books. That's all he had to be concerned with these past 3 months, but it appears now he wasn't that dedicated or motivated. It all points to a very unfocused helter skelter do it on the fly approach to his future. And when you're main dream is to be a professional NBA player with the opportunity to secure your financial future at a very young age, he and his camp followers seem to be going about it in the wrong fashion.

You probably won't read an announcement. He wasn't on the team.

I know the team's coverage is not great. Also the school may not announce it, but it would seem reasonable for the Post-Dispatch to mention it.

Your're trying to say WR's defense wasn't that great! It at the very least gave SLU a chance in the paint. This year that was not there-you are being unrealistic if you feel the guard play will be enough and that CE and RL will be physical enough to dance. Only hope is that somebody gets in CRs head and he plays like he can.

Not accurate. Willie wasn't a spectacular 1 on 1 defender. Opposing big men could score on him. But his shotblocking erased many drives to the hoop and forced opposing guards to play on the perimeter against our stout 3 point defense. Also for every bucket opposing big men were getting Willie matched them on the other end. We won't have that without him.

While I would give you the last statement prior to last season, the Development of Dwayne Evans and Rob Loe I think negates the loss of Willie Next year. As for Willie scoring, the loss of KM this year I think is underestimated. There was a noticeable difference in the play of the guards once he started practicing, his ability to get to the rim, dish or score was sorely missed. Willie was a beneficiary of this.....Certainly we would be a better team, with him, but what we lose without him is depth. We have talent to replace him with, just not the same talent. Evans is the better rebounder. Willie alters shots true....but Loe and Evans block a few too. This team will be better and will be in the upper half of the A-10. I would venture to say Next years team might just be similar to VCU this year in that they lost Sanders, like we are losing willie, but with experience the are a better team without him. I would rather have him, but his loss next year is not a death nell for the 2011-2012 season.

Am I the only one not sure WR is leaving? there has been no announcement that hes declared, nonetheless hired an agent.

If Willie is concentrated on the NBA draft, his grades will suffer even more. If he doesn't make the grades, he won't be playing.

1. Half of the underclassmen who declared early last year withdrew from the draft

2. May 8 is an important date

3. Good Luck to Willie with whatever avenue he pursues

College underclassmen and international players who don't turn 22 this year have until April 24 to declare themselves eligible for the NBA draft. However, under the NCAA's new rules, underclassmen who want to retain their college eligibility have until May 8 to withdraw from the draft. In previous years, the NCAA followed the NBA's guidelines that gave underclassmen until mid-June to decide. The NBA will retain their June 15 withdrawal date, but for any college players who want to keep their eligibility, May 8 is the new date.

This new rule dramatically reduces the time college underclassmen have to determine their draft stock. The deadline takes place before the NBA's draft combine. The NBA starts holding private workouts on April 29 to give players a short window to determine their draft stock before the NCAA's window closes.

Last year, 80 college players and 23 international players declared as early entry candidates. Forty-eight of them withdrew from the draft. That left 50 college players and five international players as the early entry candidates.

This is great information.

No $^#%. Does this reduce the chances that WR will be part of the team next year? Sure, but everyone is acting like this is a forgone conclusion. We know diddly squat and probably won't know diddly squat until May. To begin bashing Willie's interior D, his attitude, or whatever, is ridiculous. People on this board sound like Dayton fans suggesting that losing Juwan Staten and Brandon Spearman is addition by subtraction.

No $^#%. Does this reduce the chances that WR will be part of the team next year? Sure, but everyone is acting like this is a forgone conclusion. We know diddly squat and probably won't know diddly squat until May. To begin bashing Willie's interior D, his attitude, or whatever, is ridiculous. People on this board sound like Dayton fans suggesting that losing Juwan Staten and Brandon Spearman is addition by subtraction.

Not suggesting that at all. I just think we will miss Willie's presence on the offensive end far more than the defensive end. He wasn't a great defensive player.

If Willie is concentrated on the NBA draft, his grades will suffer even more. If he doesn't make the grades, he won't be playing.

Exactly. The fact that he isn't in st. louis and he is suppose to be concentrating on school should say a lot. Plus I think spring break was a couple weeks ago. Doesn't sound good to me

While I would give you the last statement prior to last season, the Development of Dwayne Evans and Rob Loe I think negates the loss of Willie Next year. As for Willie scoring, the loss of KM this year I think is underestimated. There was a noticeable difference in the play of the guards once he started practicing, his ability to get to the rim, dish or score was sorely missed. Willie was a beneficiary of this.....Certainly we would be a better team, with him, but what we lose without him is depth. We have talent to replace him with, just not the same talent. Evans is the better rebounder. Willie alters shots true....but Loe and Evans block a few too. This team will be better and will be in the upper half of the A-10. I would venture to say Next years team might just be similar to VCU this year in that they lost Sanders, like we are losing willie, but with experience the are a better team without him. I would rather have him, but his loss next year is not a death nell for the 2011-2012 season.

I don't want to be in the top half of the league, I want to be in the top 3 and make the tournament. Willie brought a combination of mobility and shot blocking ability none of the rest of our bigs have. look at the teams in the tournament. They all have at least 4 big men better than our best. DE is a damn good small forward, but he's not a big man. He may be able to do a lot of the the things a big can do, but he'll have serious trouble defending a good 4 or 5 under the basket. We need two athletic bigs to be a really good team. Willie would have got us half way there.

I don't want to be in the top half of the league, I want to be in the top 3 and make the tournament. Willie brought a combination of mobility and shot blocking ability none of the rest of our bigs have. look at the teams in the tournament. They all have at least 4 big men better than our best. DE is a damn good small forward, but he's not a big man. He may be able to do a lot of the the things a big can do, but he'll have serious trouble defending a good 4 or 5 under the basket. We need two athletic bigs to be a really good team. Willie would have got us half way there.

Very good post. I totally agree with the need for two athletic big men. Two who can make an immediate impact. We can do well next year with or without WR but we probably won't win any games in the NCAA tournament if we qualify for it. IMO.

Very good post. I totally agree with the need for two athletic big men. Two who can make an immediate impact. We can do well next year with or without WR but we probably won't win any games in the NCAA tournament if we qualify for it. IMO.

Anyone see any 6'5" big men of note playing inside at the NCAA? I didn't. A good big is a game changer. Ask Calipari where KY would be w/o Harrelson. Either RL, CR, and Manning develop the strength and wherewithal to play down low or we are not going to realize the dream that next year could be something special. We need WR or his clone. We also need a go to guy or two on threes. But since we've heard nothing official other than Karaker's report, I'm beginning to wonder if WR isn't having second thoughts this weekend and that maybe he's in KC tossing things around with his folks. Seems you guys w/ twitter and fb accounts should have heard something from him as he seems to be a pretty active poster.

Anyone see any 6'5" big men of note playing inside at the NCAA? I didn't. A good big is a game changer. Ask Calipari where KY would be w/o Harrelson. Either RL, CR, and Manning develop the strength and wherewithal to play down low or we are not going to realize the dream that next year could be something special. We need WR or his clone. We also need a go to guy or two on threes. But since we've heard nothing official other than Karaker's report, I'm beginning to wonder if WR isn't having second thoughts this weekend and that maybe he's in KC tossing things around with his folks. Seems you guys w/ twitter and fb accounts should have heard something from him as he seems to be a pretty active poster.

He was telling people bye before he left. It wasn't like he was going to talk things over with his parents. I'm afraid it's not a matter of whether or not he wants to leave us, it's more like he won't be eiligible because of grades and has no other choice.

This is quibbling but I think you meant "much less". Yeah, we on the board are all just assuming Willie is going to hire an agent. He could be doing what Ian did after his junior season ... but in that case you the player let everyone know you haven't hired an agent so they don't jump to conclusions. Speaking only for myself, Willie fatigue has set in. If he isn't 100% focused on passing his 2nd semester classes and getting reinstated to the team, then it won't happen. I prefer to mentally write him off and then be surprised if it turns out differently.

He was telling people bye before he left. It wasn't like he was going to talk things over with his parents. I'm afraid it's not a matter of whether or not he wants to leave us, it's more like he won't be eiligible because of grades and has no other choice.

Troubling to hear because as of Wednesday Majerus was talking about his possible return and that willie was working hard on it. RM talked about it on 1380 and it seemed that he was optimistic that willie may make it. RM generally pulls no punches and said nothing remotely negative about the prospects of possibly not having willie when discussing next year. Did midterm grades come out at the end of the week?

Troubling to hear because as of Wednesday Majerus was talking about his possible return and that willie was working hard on it. RM talked about it on 1380 and it seemed that he was optimistic that willie may make it. RM generally pulls no punches and said nothing remotely negative about the prospects of possibly not having willie when discussing next year. Did midterm grades come out at the end of the week?

Midterm grades should have been available the week before. Maybe he just checked or something? I don't know.

I know he was working hard to raise his grades. All of this comes as a huge surprise.

Midterm grades should have been available the week before. Maybe he just checked or something? I don't know.

I know he was working hard to raise his grades. All of this comes as a huge surprise.

Thanks for your insight. Those of us not in the know appreciate your factual posts and rely on them to seperate from speculation. On this board, speculation can sometimes get ugly.

This is quibbling but I think you meant "much less". Yeah, we on the board are all just assuming Willie is going to hire an agent. He could be doing what Ian did after his junior season ... but in that case you the player let everyone know you haven't hired an agent so they don't jump to conclusions. Speaking only for myself, Willie fatigue has set in. If he isn't 100% focused on passing his 2nd semester classes and getting reinstated to the team, then it won't happen. I prefer to mentally write him off and then be surprised if it turns out differently.

I am with you. I spoke with a person who has been right on with past information and the story I got was chances are good (80% was the number he used) that WR will be back at SLU next year.

I am with you. I spoke with a person who has been right on with past information and the story I got was chances are good (80% was the number he used) that WR will be back at SLU next year.

Let me know the next time you, or your source, see Willie in St. Louis.

(I just realized that might have came off as rude. I'm not trying to be. Just sayin'...people need to come to terms with the fact he is gone)

Let me know the next time you, or your source, see Willie in St. Louis.

(I just realized that might have came off as rude. I'm not trying to be. Just sayin'...people need to come to terms with the fact he is gone)

The one thing I find interesting is that no other media outlet has mentioned this. Not saying it's major sports news in STL, it's baseball season afterall, but it would at least be worth a 1/4 column or a two line comment from a columnist. StLouis media certainly knows how to get in touch with his dad to confirm, deny, or a no comment. Why hasn't TT wrote anything? Am sure he can touch base with either RM or PM and get the lowdown. Just interesting nobody in the media thinks it's newsworthy.