Majerus on 101.1

ACE

He sounds very excited about next season. He feels they will do very well. He made it clear that whether or not Willie comes back is not in the hands of the Athletic Dept. (which I think most of us already knew). He was very impressed with the four freshman. He really likes McCall... mentioned that Loe improved throughout the season as he got used to the speed of the game... mentioned again that Cassity will be better getting fewer minutes and being more of a role player... he talked up Barnett again, said he can shoot and also adds toughness... said that Evans could have also made the Academic all-conference team... said that SLU's team is by far the best in the league academically... praised the school and even a little bit to Biondi, which I haven't heard in a long time... he took a shot at Jim Calhoun and said he got a slap on the wrist.

Now the two most interesting things I heard were him say that Cory was the only player on the team whose arrow was not "pointing up" (is RM stealing some of his material from joey fleugel?). He said that he has met with Cory and that they will talk again. Then toward the end of the interview he says that they have a good recruit coming in (Manning) and said "and we're going to get another one." I may be reading too much into it and trying to make a connection between the two statements, but I would be interested if others take the same thing away from his comments. You can hear the interview on the 101.1 website.

He sounds very excited about next season. He feels they will do very well. He made it clear that whether or not Willie comes back is not in the hands of the Athletic Dept. (which I think most of us already knew). He was very impressed with the four freshman. He really likes McCall... mentioned that Loe improved throughout the season as he got used to the speed of the game... mentioned again that Cassity will be better getting fewer minutes and being more of a role player... he talked up Barnett again, said he can shoot and also adds toughness... said that Evans could have also made the Academic all-conference team... said that SLU's team is by far the best in the league academically... praised the school and even a little bit to Biondi, which I haven't heard in a long time... he took a shot at Jim Calhoun and said he got a slap on the wrist.

Now the two most interesting things I heard were him say that Cory was the only player on the team whose arrow was not "pointing up" (is RM stealing some of his material from joey fleugel?). He said that he has met with Cory and that they will talk again. Then toward the end of the interview he says that they have a good recruit coming in (Manning) and said "and we're going to get another one." I may be reading too much into it and trying to make a connection between the two statements, but I would be interested if others take the same thing away from his comments. You can hear the interview on the 101.1 website.

Excellent news on Cassity. Hoping CR can provide solid minutes off the bench, but maybe he transfers closer to home. Matt Doherty is always looking for local talent at SMU.

Ace, thanks for the recap.

The stuff about Cory and an additional recruit is very interesting.

I took the exact same thing from that interview re: Remekun. He obviously doesn't think that Remekun has much of a future these next two seasons with SLU. He is probably going to be direct with CR and let him know that he will not see much floor time and that it might be in his best interests to seek an opportunity elsewhere, if he wants to play more. CR is a young sophomore, so after sitting out a year, he would be the same age as a normal junior, if he decided to jump to another D-1 program. This might be more appealing to him than sitting at the end of the bench and not playing.

Link - go to 12:14

http://www.101espn.com/post/80471_the_bernie_miklasz_show_notes_thursday_31011

I took the exact same thing from that interview re: Remekun. He obviously doesn't think that Remekun has much of a future these next two seasons with SLU. He is probably going to be direct with CR and let him know that he will not see much floor time and that it might be in his best interests to seek an opportunity elsewhere, if he wants to play more. CR is a young sophomore, so after sitting out a year, he would be the same age as a normal junior, if he decided to jump to another D-1 program. This might be more appealing to him than sitting at the end of the bench and not playing.

Did you hear the part about adding another recruit in addition to Manning? I haven't had a chance to go back and listen to it again.

RM's comments about CE were also a little concerning. He indicated CE was a little fragile. Said that he should be working on lower body strength since he couldn't use his arm. Wasn't sure how things would turn out after the surgery and got the impression RM wasn't happy that CE didn't really work out after the fireworks fiasco

Did you hear the part about adding another recruit in addition to Manning? I haven't had a chance to go back and listen to it again.

Yes. Now, he could be referring to Chievous, who may end up going the prep school route. Thus, it may not mean that he has to 'force' CR out. However, he could be discussing another player and that would indictate that he is thinking about telling CR that it is best to look elsewhere. All I know is it is going to bring up a lot of speculation on the board! ;)

Problem is, if Reed can't play next year and Remekun does in fact transfer, we don't have a whole lot of an inside presence- Manning, Loe, Conklin, with Evans and Ellis. Hopefully whoever the other recruit is also happens to be tall.

RM's comments about CE were also a little concerning. He indicated CE was a little fragile. Said that he should be working on lower body strength since he couldn't use his arm. Wasn't sure how things would turn out after the surgery and got the impression RM wasn't happy that CE didn't really work out after the fireworks fiasco

His unhappiness with CE has been pretty apparent all season long, IMO. He benched him against Portland to make a point about his lack of aggressiveness, even though that left him with a short rotation on the road. However, I think he sees more in CE than CR. Basically, like he wants to toughen up CE and get him in shape while with CR, he just doesn't think he is talented enough to play over those coming in.

His unhappiness with CE has been pretty apparent all season long, IMO. He benched him against Portland to make a point about his lack of aggressiveness, even though that left him with a short rotation on the road. However, I think he sees more in CE than CR. Basically, like he wants to toughen up CE and get him in shape while with CR, he just doesn't think he is talented enough to play over those coming in.

I don't think RM wants to wreck the Aussie connection. And also feel he needs to light a fire under what we hear is a very laid back CE. The CR info is not real surprising. He showed little progress over last year. If WR is not an AD issue, is it RM's decision or purely an academic issue, ie like any other student he can just flunk out, which really makes it WR's decision? As for the other recruit we also heard about another Aussie. Glad he's excited about next year, but would be more excited if he said WR was back on the team.

I don't think RM wants to wreck the Aussie connection. And also feel he needs to light a fire under what we hear is a very laid back CE. The CR info is not real surprising. He showed little progress over last year. If WR is not an AD issue, is it RM's decision or purely an academic issue, ie like any other student he can just flunk out, which really makes it WR's decision? As for the other recruit we also heard about another Aussie. Glad he's excited about next year, but would be more excited if he said WR was back on the team.

Rick said its up to Willie to prove it in the classroom but he made it clear that he wants him back. I really think we are going to see a much more improved Cody Ellis next year with a lot to prove.

Problem is, if Reed can't play next year and Remekun does in fact transfer, we don't have a whole lot of an inside presence- Manning, Loe, Conklin, with Evans and Ellis. Hopefully whoever the other recruit is also happens to be tall.

That's what I was thinking. Very risky to have Cory transfer. He's a very solid backup center, which is valuable to a team as undersized as ours (minus Willie).

We're in on a few JUCO's right now that I know of. One is a wing, and one is a big. I have also heard we are going after another Aussie. I would like to see Chievous commit, but like others have said, he may go the Prep School route.

Do you have a name on the juco big? Is the Aussie a big?

Even if the other recruit is tall, unless we recruit a really good JUCO he is going to be a freshman who will probably not be a significant upgrade compared to CR in the short term. Makes it all the more important for WR to return.

If we were to get a big, I hope it's a player not in the Aussie/NZ mold. I love Rob, but we need a different skillset in our next big (whether that's WR, a juco or other recruit)

Agreed. Maybe this Aussie is more in the Andrew Bogut mold. :D Even with Willie, our biggest need remains a physical big.

Yes I heard it but he also said that with BC and KC not returning so I think he was talking about the 2012-13 season. He had also talked about CR in a couple of prior interviews and I just do not see him pushing him out. I maybe see a possible redshirt conversation or a heart to heart about what maay be the problem. CR has the athletic ability and I think RM thinks the same thing but cannot figure out the lack of urgency. He started about the last 5 games so he must have been showing something in practice. RM has always said he starts the 5 that show the most in practice and are the most prepared to play at that time. I am not ready to give up on CR and I would be surprised if RM does.