A little perspective re next year

slu72

Ok, the season from he** is finally over. The biggest thing we can take from it? All 4 of our frosh showed improvement and may be the most talented recruiting class we've had in a long time. But we had downers such as CE, KC, and CS either slumping from last year or showing little improvement/development. Still the arrow points up when you consider who's returning/coming back next season. Assuming we get no offseason surprises, puhleeze, God, none, we're all very excited about next year's prospects. Are we delusional? We do have a tendency on this board to look at the Bills in a vacumn. I remember a few years back when Vashon Newborn was our long awaited PF based on practice sightings. Obviously, we overrated him. So we have to guage where we are compared to the competition. And it strikes me we stack up well. Of course the one big IF to how far we could possibly go next year is, IF WR returns. We need a dominating presence inside and our best shot is WR's return to good graces. No doubt, getting KM back is huge, but WR being on the floor is the difference between having a good season and a potentially great season. I watched a lot of Beast tourney yesterday and what strikes you is the athleticism of those teams. For the first time in a long time, next year we appear to have the athleticism to compete with these types of teams. Not saying we'd be world beaters in the Beast or any other BCS conference, but definitely think the athleticism gap has been closed. SLU is no longer a Lunch Pail team, that Romar called us. But the real difference makers, besides WR, could be lunch pail guys like JB, CE, and RL. If those 3 can provide us with a good perimiter game, ie 3 point shooting, I see us being a team like a BYU, and a team that resembles a Duke type squad, albeit w/o all the McD talent. A good combo of athletes and skill players that can beat you in any number of ways. If it all comes/stays together, as we're hoping it will, we could/should be a top 3 A-10 squad. Actually, I'd be a little disappointed if we didn't dominate the A-10 next year, say 14-2. We should win at least 11-12 non con games assuming most will be against mid majors. (That Anaheim tourney will be a good indicator of what we really are about.) We should earn a berth in the dance. And once there give just about any BCS opponent we face a heck of a game and have a legit shot at pulling off a couple of W's. Face it, BCS teams are stocked with top rated talent, the players we can't seem to land. But this year we landed some gems in the rough. They'll be a year older. KM, WR, BC, KC, CE, CS now have the experience. We have a mad genius for a coach who will cover the x and o's. Bottom line, looking at the entire hoops landscape, our next year's squad compares favorably with other top sub major type teams, Zagas and X's of the world. We should whip up on just about every mid major, no more losses to the like of Bowling Green and Austin Peay. And we should push every major we play to the limit. Outlook: 24-6 or better. National Ranking: 20-25. Atlantic 10 regular season Champ. Good W's: hopefully a beat down of Nova in Anaheim. 7th seed in the NCAA and go to sweet 16.

Would like to see some of our forwards come back with larger bodies next year. We cannot compete with 6'8 260 interior players. Imagine Conklin with 10-15 lbs of more muscle on him. He'd be an absolute beast.

It all comes down to Show Time son of Air Time. We can be very good next season by adding Kwa and Jake (and perhaps a healthy Cody) to a young, talented group. But we can't be great without an inside presence and 5-10# of muscle will not magically transform Conk into an all conference post player (or anything close to that). Cory will get stronger and become a better defender but he'll always be offensively challenged. Rob's strength is always going to be his outside game. One has to doubt Manning will make an immediate impact. We can vault to the next level with Willie but the question remains, does Show Time show up for the 2011-12 season? I don't even want to allow hope to rise in my heart for it is the fate of a Billikens fan to have one's heart ripped out just as the program appears to rise.

It all comes down to Show Time son of Air Time. We can be very good next season by adding Kwa and Jake (and perhaps a healthy Cody) to a young, talented group. But we can't be great without an inside presence and 5-10# of muscle will not magically transform Conk into an all conference post player (or anything close to that). Cory will get stronger and become a better defender but he'll always be offensively challenged. Rob's strength is always going to be his outside game. One has to doubt Manning will make an immediate impact. We can vault to the next level with Willie but the question remains, does Show Time show up for the 2011-12 season? I don't even want to allow hope to rise in my heart for it is the fate of a Billikens fan to have one's heart ripped out just as the program appears to rise.

I think we are a tournament team next year getting Kwamaine and Cody back and getting some production from Barnett. We will not be great though without Willie

Next year WR will have been out of competitive bball a whole year, probably without major body building. We remember him at his best at the end of last year. At that time he was still not able to run the floor for a whole game the way we would want him to. Plus he was a terrible FT shooter. When WR and KM return, they will be taking time away from the very folks whose development we are counting on to get us to the next level.

For us it is now spring training time...everyone has a great fast ball, no one is walking the lead off hitter in the eighth inning, etc. Let's temper our enthusiasm for a top twenty ranking by seeing how much folks improve in the off season, and how they do in Australia this summer. Hope Cody doesn't twist an ankle on a trampoline and everyone returns in good academic standing.

Most likely will happen next year is we will have many weapons to compete with different types of teams. If you don't hit your shots, you will not play. That will have to be it. We can't coddle any more with ineffective play, and poor contributions from anyone, including experienced players who have great court presence and positioning but are afraid to shoot in the conference games....I won't say it, but we know who. Absolutely love the guy, his passion and effort, but I don't think we can give the minutes to KM next year that we did the last two years. Just won't be successful if we do.

mhg

Next year WR will have been out of competitive bball a whole year, probably without major body building. We remember him at his best at the end of last year. At that time he was still not able to run the floor for a whole game the way we would want him to. Plus he was a terrible FT shooter. When WR and KM return, they will be taking time away from the very folks whose development we are counting on to get us to the next level.

For us it is now spring training time...everyone has a great fast ball, no one is walking the lead off hitter in the eighth inning, etc. Let's temper our enthusiasm for a top twenty ranking by seeing how much folks improve in the off season, and how they do in Australia this summer. Hope Cody doesn't twist an ankle on a trampoline and everyone returns in good academic standing.

Most likely will happen next year is we will have many weapons to compete with different types of teams. If you don't hit your shots, you will not play. That will have to be it. We can't coddle any more with ineffective play, and poor contributions from anyone, including experienced players who have great court presence and positioning but are afraid to shoot in the conference games....I won't say it, but we know who. Absolutely love the guy, his passion and effort, but I don't think we can give the minutes to KM next year that we did the last two years. Just won't be successful if we do.

mhg

You mean KC don't you?

WR is the difference maker.

If he plays to his previous level, and mostly everyone else comes back, we should be Top 40, even Top 25 if all goes well.

Still split on this. Is a top level WR more important than a top form KM + JB (if as good as advertised)?

My two biggest issues this year are the scoring droughts and failure to close out games.

I do agree that WR would absolutely make this team better and take us to Top 40 or Top 25, but i wonder if his addition or KM + JB's addition is more important (if we could only choose one of the alternatives). Hopefully, all 3 will be there next season and we don't have to worry about this.

mhg

Hopefully WR is splitting his time between the books and hoops and letting the social scene take a backseat. Speculation on my part but expect the reason WR came back to SLU was the fact he wouldn't miss the first half of next season. WR and Pops think he's got NBA potential, as do some experts. To achieve that he's first got to get back on the team, books. Then to prove himself on the court he's got to hit the weights and do the requisite work on his game. This is crunch time for WR. He's either serious about his future in hoops or he's not. If he is, then he'll follow every instruction and set of rules RM and staff give him in the offseason. The athleticism is there. We've seen it. Now it's development time. Yes, he missed valuable game time this year, but he can make up for it by working hard and smart. And it is unreasonable to think everyone on this team knows the past season was an opportunity lost? The point being they will all work harder to make up for it.

Still split on this. Is a top level WR more important than a top form KM + JB (if as good as advertised)?

My two biggest issues this year are the scoring droughts and failure to close out games.

I do agree that WR would absolutely make this team better and take us to Top 40 or Top 25, but i wonder if his addition or KM + JB's addition is more important (if we could only choose one of the alternatives). Hopefully, all 3 will be there next season and we don't have to worry about this.

I go back and forth some on this, though I more consistently see Mitchell's absence as the primary reason for our crappiness this year. While we sorely missed Willie's interior D, the lack of a consistent go-to-scorer probably had the biggest impact on this year's team (see number of close losses).

One could argue that it might be a different answer next year, as our returning freshmen guards should be more apt to handle the late game situations than they were this year. Coupled with our lack of interior depth, the return of Willie would be huge. That being said, adding two impact players (assuming Barnett lives up to Majerus' hype) vs. one, I'll take the two.

While I understand your point regarding scoring droughts and how KM should greatly diminish the length of those droughts, I think a dedicated WR is far more important to our overall success next year. Just look at the roster; we have quality depth at the guard spot. In fact, as a group, I would put our group of guards against any in the league (when you include KM and JB). Inside we have a 7 footer who is much more comfortable outside the arc than in the paint (though he has shown he is clearly getting tougher), a great athlete who looks lost on the floor, and a guy who eats nails but really isn't all that talented or big enough to play the 5 in this league.

I go back and forth some on this, though I more consistently see Mitchell's absence as the primary reason for our crappiness this year. While we sorely missed Willie's interior D, the lack of a consistent go-to-scorer probably had the biggest impact on this year's team (see number of close losses).

One could argue that it might be a different answer next year, as our returning freshmen guards should be more apt to handle the late game situations than they were this year. Coupled with our lack of interior depth, the return of Willie would be huge. That being said, adding two impact players (assuming Barnett lives up to Majerus' hype) vs. one, I'll take the two.

It's a question of the sum of the parts. No doubt when in need of a hoop go to KM. But it makes it easier for KM if he's got WR to dish to. Not discounting KM, or JB, in any way, but having that Aircraft Carrier on the inside will make both their lives a lot easier.

We already know we have KM and JB on board. Q. How far do we go with just these two as additions? QQ. How much extra do we get with Willie? Willie sat out an entire year prior to the start of his freshman season and contributed substantially but was weak and out of shape. Is Willie working out with the trainer? Does Willie rejoin the BB program at the end of the semester so that he can be involved in offseason conditioning? Lots of questionmarks but I think even 90% of Willie from the 2009-2010 season takes this team to a place they can't get without him.

The loss of KM and WR this year was simply too much overcome. Between the regression/stagnation of some of our Sophs and JRs and/or the lack of any of them to step and be the "go to guy", we had to rely upon our Frosh. IMO, the Sophs and JRs were given the chance to step up in the first half of the season. This was probably the equal result of it being the time for our Sophs and JRs to step up as well as our Frosh not being ready. To me, this whole season can be boiled down to 2 games - both games with UD.

At the first game, early January (5th) and our first conf game, I attended and watched us play better than we had in recent non-conf games but clearly UD showed they were the better team. We lost by 10 at home and I recall saying that at least it was a respectable loss compared to what I had feared could be the case - especially after coming off home losses to Bowling Green, So Miss and Ole Miss. UD had Chris Wright and company, a very talented freshman PG in Juwan Staten and was to be one of the better A10 teams again this year. Going solely by memory (would like to see actual stats of this game) RL played a few minutes and did a few nice things but was not great. Likewise, MM and JJ played, did some nice things, looked good at times but then made mistakes preventing a final chance to narrow the lead and possibly steal a victory at home. Our Frosh each looked like they had talent/skills, that each looked like they had a good D-1 future, that none looked like a wasted recruit... Instead, they just were not up to the task at hand. Also recall thinking that if this game were played at Dayton, it would have been a 20 point thrashing. Further, I tried not to think about the return trip to Dayton on March 2nd.

Still, I remained optomistic with the hope that KM would return any day, take charge and salvage the season. That, of course, never happened. Thereafter, DE stopped sitting the bench and started getting minutes. The mistakes for JJ and MM continued but the positives they brought started to exceed the negatives. RL seemed to regress for awhile but then started to find his shot again. Even CE started to find his shot again. As a result, we started to win again.

At the second UD game, we, led by our Frosh, went into UD Arena and smacked the Flyers down by 18 points (was and could have been more) on their own Senior night. Our Frosh had matured and grown up. The good coaching started to show. We clearly played like the better team that night. This same thing could probably be said about our two (2) games with Duquesne -- a 22 point early January loss turn into an 11 late February win. The future again looked bright and remains bright.

As to next year, though, I am really looking forward to the addition of JB. Also, looking foward to KM playing with MM (and to a lesser degree with JJ). Still, we need KM and we need depth, but next year, if something were to happen to KM, I believe we could fill the void much more easily next year than this year. Just like KM looked good the end of his Frosh year and then made big strides over the summer returing as an improved and seasoned Soph, so too might MM and JJ. Not wanting to even think about replacing KM but believe it could be done.

As to the bigs, I just don't see us being able to replace WR next year. I love BC's effort, I trust CE will recover from shoulder surgery and regain his shot, I hope CR continues to improve, I hope/expect RL to back stronger and better and hope expect Manning to contribute and take charge down the road, but we will have no one to replace WR. We will be better next year than this year simply with the addtion of KM and JB and b/c our other guys will be a year bigger, better and experienced. The key to being a top 25 team, though, comes down to WR.

ShowtimeReed33 Heading into study hall. Next season starts now. Lets get it! Billiken getting an automatic bid. #determination

3 minutes ago

Seems like Willie is ready for the challenge. I love this.

I friggin love Willie's enthusiasm. Oh how I hope he delivers.

If he's ready, look out A-10.

If Willie comes back, he better have a few more dozen pounds of pure muscle on his frame. Many players lose weight during the season. There is absolutely no excuse for him not to be alot more physical going forward into next year.

If Willie comes back and is eligible, I will be thrilled. I am not going to worry about his weight, free throws, strength, or fitness. There is plenty of time for those issues to work themselves out.

ShowtimeReed33 Heading into study hall. Next season starts now. Lets get it! Billiken getting an automatic bid. #determination

3 minutes ago

Seems like Willie is ready for the challenge. I love this.

-maybe trying to read way too much into this, but is study hall an athdept activity? since the season is over he can interact with the team? workout? training table? just wondering

-maybe trying to read way too much into this, but is study hall an athdept activity? since the season is over he can interact with the team? workout? training table? just wondering

Purely speculation, but I think we would all be kidding ourselves if we didn't think he has been under RM's thumb since the moment he was readmitted to SLU. Maybe one of our board members that has a little inside knowledge could give us more but I cannot imagine RM not driving the bus on this one.

Purely speculation, but I think we would all be kidding ourselves if we didn't think he has been under RM's thumb since the moment he was readmitted to SLU. Maybe one of our board members that has a little inside knowledge could give us more but I cannot imagine RM not driving the bus on this one.

I'd expect RM told PM and Jensen, it's your job to make sure WR stays on the straight and narrow. All the talk about who's more important, ie KM and JB vs WR is kind of moot. It's not like we have to choose or where to spend cap money. We want them all on the team. Everyone says the college game is a guard's game. It is to an extent. But having a potential NBA insider as your big is the difference maker. Rebounds, int. D, putbacks, and easy slams or layups cannot be discounted. Next season will not be a disaster if WR doesn't return. But it should be amazing if he does. Heck with KM and MM on the court along with WR, I could see RM changing his style/system a little and calling for the ball to be pushed rather than slow it down to set up the offense. When was the last time we saw that kind of hoops at SLU? Ever?