Next Year

Billsrmajic

i believe had he been accepted and enrolled by the beginning of this spring semester, provided academics in line, reed would have been eligible to play the day the fall semester ended at the new school. i.e. probably around the second week of december.

I am pretty sure you are correct. Isn't that the situation that occurred with USC and the Fordham transfer?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it is the way i have always seen it work that way on transfers. so had reed left for another school he would have lost out on maybe 6 games or so.

This is what aurprises me when people keep blaming the situation for losing our top 2 players. WR had his share of issues to deal with beyond the situation and there was a very good chance he wouldn't have played anyway.

All this being said, I hope people are rooting for him to get his grades in order, be a good representative of the University, and get back on the team. Roy, I have a feeling you don't want him back at all. If I am wrong, I apologize. It just seems that way. If WR earns his way back on the team, I would hope all SLU fans welcome him.

This is what aurprises me when people keep blaming the situation for losing our top 2 players. WR had his share of issues to deal with beyond the situation and there was a very good chance he wouldn't have played anyway.

All this being said, I hope people are rooting for him to get his grades in order, be a good representative of the University, and get back on the team. Roy, I have a feeling you don't want him back at all. If I am wrong, I apologize. It just seems that way. If WR earns his way back on the team, I would hope all SLU fans welcome him.

tonka i wrote earlier in this same thread:

"good luck to willie. i hope he makes it. the team obviously needs him. but more importantly, willie needed to gain control of his life and that is what he is going to have to do to gain a spot on the team again. that accomplishment will be priceless to willie reed down the road. my understanding from talking to folks within the department is willie reed is working hard. so again, good luck to willie."

so not sure how you think i dont welcome willie back to the team.

all i have done the last few threads is point out some of the inconsistencies in some of our posters views and point out that there was a lot more to willie's punishment than "the situation".

tonka i wrote earlier in this same thread:

"good luck to willie. i hope he makes it. the team obviously needs him. but more importantly, willie needed to gain control of his life and that is what he is going to have to do to gain a spot on the team again. that accomplishment will be priceless to willie reed down the road. my understanding from talking to folks within the department is willie reed is working hard. so again, good luck to willie."

so not sure how you think i dont welcome willie back to the team.

all i have done the last few threads is point out some of the inconsistencies in some of our posters views and point out that there was a lot more to willie's punishment than "the situation".

My bad. That's what happens when you try to multi-task and read the Board. Apologies.

Trust me, they are.

And while I concede that, sure, out of the 330 colleges, someone would take him, but do you think Willie would agree to play at the majority of those schools? Think Lipscomb would get him in the NBA?

First off, if you're good enough, it won't matter where you play. If Keith Benson from Oakland can be a projected 2nd round draft pick, Willie could have done the same at Lipscomb. I know what you said is hypothetical, but I'm just putting that out there. Would going to a lower-tier program have been what Willie and his Dad wanted? Of course not.

Like someone else said, it is crazy to claim that no other mid to high level programs wanted him, because they did. Some schools did back away when they learned of his academic troubles, but he had options.

Hopefully Willie can get his grades back in order and help make next season a memorable one for us.

Let's not forget, too, that even though Brett Thompson transfered to a lower-tier program, he still had to get his grades in order first to play at Lindenwood. I think when kids transfer, they have to transfer in good standing to have the smoothest transition happen. I believe that when Jio Fontane left Fordham, he probably had the standard and usual progress towards a degree, had transferable grades, and was going from a like program (oh say welding) to a similar (welding) program at SoCal.

I think the fact that Willie is at games banging on a cow bell is a good sign. Of course, I could be wrong ..... let's remember this IS Billiken basketball.

Willie stayed so that he could play next fall, a whole season, then go to the NBA. He is still listed on some mock drafts as a first round pick in 2012, even though they are aware he is not playing this yr. Going somewhere else would have set him back, a half season would not have been adequate, and he may not have got the same minutes at K State or elsewhere.

He is still just "probable" to play for us next yr IMO... so many things can happen, the female's family was publicly upset about the final ruling on the two players, you have their slimeball lawyer still possibly making slimeball moves, hell bent on revenge, and you have plenty of foo-foo faculty members just looking for Willie to make any kind of a slip up.

It appears that Willie has learned his lesson, but I am skeptical that we are home free on this matter.

Not sure they have welding at Fordham, a Jesuit school ranked above slu.

quote name='Taj79' timestamp='1298039889' post='264325']

Let's not forget, too, that even though Brett Thompson transfered to a lower-tier program, he still had to get his grades in order first to play at Lindenwood. I think when kids transfer, they have to transfer in good standing to have the smoothest transition happen. I believe that when Jio Fontane left Fordham, he probably had the standard and usual progress towards a degree, had transferable grades, and was going from a like program (oh say welding) to a similar (welding) program at SoCal.

I think the fact that Willie is at games banging on a cow bell is a good sign. Of course, I could be wrong ..... let's remember this IS Billiken basketball.

Willie stayed so that he could play next fall, a whole season, then go to the NBA. He is still listed on some mock drafts as a first round pick in 2012, even though they are aware he is not playing this yr. Going somewhere else would have set him back, a half season would not have been adequate, and he may not have got the same minutes at K State or elsewhere.

He is still just "probable" to play for us next yr IMO... so many things can happen, the female's family was publicly upset about the final ruling on the two players, you have their slimeball lawyer still possibly making slimeball moves, hell bent on revenge, and you have plenty of foo-foo faculty members just looking for Willie to make any kind of a slip up.

It appears that Willie has learned his lesson, but I am skeptical that we are home free on this matter.

You mean the family is not happy with wrecking just one season? They want another ton of flesh? What will satisfy these people? Prison? Castration? I think they better clean up their own house before taking on SLU.

Not sure they have welding at Fordham, a Jesuit school ranked above slu.

quote name='Taj79' timestamp='1298039889' post='264325']

Could be he's not been banned from being a cheerleader next year. God, it's hard being a Billiken Fan.