X game review

slu72

Very enjoyable game to watch on ESPNU. Finally, the Bills looked like a serious D1 team. No moral victory post here, just complimenting the kids on a well played game. Figured to be a blowout since X was coming off that loss to Charlotte, the young Bills played great. Hopefully, this game is real confidence builder for the Conk. It should be. He looked really accomplished. And for RL as well. But most important for the whole team. RM's offense looked the smoothest I've seen it. Great ball movement to create a lot of good looks. Especially when we got it inside. Sadly, we couldn't convert those looks to more points But we've still got a bunch of young'uns out there and those will fall eventually. The D also looked good. X is physical, experienced and athletic. But our guys made some nice stops and you knew eventually Holloway would take control. Couldn't help but think when you saw KM on the bench what this year could have been. But let's forget that. It's history. I think we've got a lot to look forward to even in this season. No miracle in Memphis type thing, but hopefully a young team that's well along in their development and will only get better as the season goes on. They deserve to nail a W over one of the A-10 leaders and give them even more confidence. Nothing negative here, but McCall, Evans, and Loe better be hitting the weights during the offseason. They look skinny and TV cameras are supposed to add like 10lbs. Good game Billikens. You didn't disappoint today. You gave us hope the future's getting brighter. I hope somehow this team stays together and we don't have any transfers. This could be a very special group starting next year and for the forseeable future.

Very enjoyable game to watch on ESPNU. Finally, the Bills looked like a serious D1 team. No moral victory post here, just complimenting the kids on a well played game. Figured to be a blowout since X was coming off that loss to Charlotte, the young Bills played great. Hopefully, this game is real confidence builder for the Conk. It should be. He looked really accomplished. And for RL as well. But most important for the whole team. RM's offense looked the smoothest I've seen it. Great ball movement to create a lot of good looks. Especially when we got it inside. Sadly, we couldn't convert those looks to more points But we've still got a bunch of young'uns out there and those will fall eventually. The D also looked good. X is physical, experienced and athletic. But our guys made some nice stops and you knew eventually Holloway would take control. Couldn't help but think when you saw KM on the bench what this year could have been. But let's forget that. It's history. I think we've got a lot to look forward to even in this season. No miracle in Memphis type thing, but hopefully a young team that's well along in their development and will only get better as the season goes on. They deserve to nail a W over one of the A-10 leaders and give them even more confidence. Nothing negative here, but McCall, Evans, and Loe better be hitting the weights during the offseason. They look skinny and TV cameras are supposed to add like 10lbs. Good game Billikens. You didn't disappoint today. You gave us hope the future's getting brighter. I hope somehow this team stays together and we don't have any transfers. This could be a very special group starting next year and for the forseeable future.

-we made baskets, which for us has often been more than difficult, if a couple of those rim'outs go in who knows what happens

-they made some dagger shots at the end of shot clocks, big time makes for them and second chance points...

-BC, wow, very impressive, let's follow it up with a similar game on Wed

-RL shooting 100%, very nice

-i heard decourcey from sporting news on with frank this week and he talked about getting calls on the road, too many times i thought about that interview during the game

-we hung in there, i was impressed by much of what we did, staff has areas to work on but the kids seem to be getting it

-ft shooting, very nice

-CE, heal fast and 100%

-we made baskets, which for us has often been more than difficult, if a couple of those rim'outs go in who knows what happens

-they made some dagger shots at the end of shot clocks, big time makes for them and second chance points...

-BC, wow, very impressive, let's follow it up with a similar game on Wed

-RL shooting 100%, very nice

-i heard decourcey from sporting news on with frank this week and he talked about getting calls on the road, too many times i thought about that interview during the game

-we hung in there, i was impressed by much of what we did, staff has areas to work on but the kids seem to be getting it

-ft shooting, very nice

-CE, heal fast and 100%

One thing I've noticed the last few games is Jordair is taking less shots and getting more assists. In the last 3 games he's taken 16 shots so less than 6 per game, but he's had 10 assists against 2 turnovers in that same time span. Jordair came advertised as a true pg on at least for the last few games it seems we're getting a glimpse of that.

One thing I've noticed the last few games is Jordair is taking less shots and getting more assists. In the last 3 games he's taken 16 shots so less than 6 per game, but he's had 10 assists against 2 turnovers in that same time span. Jordair came advertised as a true pg on at least for the last few games it seems we're getting a glimpse of that.

I was wondering if the TV announcers made any mention of the SLU students that traveled and cheered the whole game? Or if it could be heard at all during the game? I was there and we were fairly loud. I just didn't know how well it could be heard considering we were top rows of the arena.

SO did you hear anything besides the airball chant on TV? I thought we were pretty loud.

The airball was the most resonant, but I definitely heard you guys at other points also. My dad (who was at the game) commented on the strong slu student presence. Well done today.

I was wondering if the TV announcers made any mention of the SLU students that traveled and cheered the whole game? Or if it could be heard at all during the game? I was there and we were fairly loud. I just didn't know how well it could be heard considering we were top rows of the arena.

Not sure about the TV comments, but I was in Cintas and couldn't see you guys, but could hear you. Well done.

i just want to say how awesome i think we/slunatics did at todays game. it was obvious that we made our mark there, but seeing xavier fans talk about it on their board really made so much happier. im so glad the first organized roadtrip was a success

http://www.xavierhoops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17613&page=3

"The faux student section in 216 (those 80 students) seems to be outdoing the real student section."

"Yeah, you can hear the SLU fans on the radio."

"When Robinson air-balled it, the chant was nearly as loud as when an opponent does it."

....nice work today slunatics!

I read ahead on that thread and read that their coach said this. "Majerus is playing chess out there, I'm playing frickin checkers."

Sorry, Slunatics, but they didn't show you on TV. I could hear some screaming for SLU but never knew where it was coming from. Way to go though 80 Slunatics made the trip. Good show!

I read ahead on that thread and read that their coach said this. "Majerus is playing chess out there, I'm playing frickin checkers."

I don't know what that is supposed to mean. Unless it was the reference to Majerus running a lot of strategic plays like when he'd have Rob Loe post up right away so Friese guards him then shoot out to the outside so Friese clears the whole inside.

I enjoyed watching the game also. The most galling thing I heard the announcers say SEVERAL TIMES was "what a great college atmosphere here in a great college basketball town" Will anyone ever say that at a Billiken home game?

I'll readily that SLU's students were loud and probably out-cheered us.

BUT

And I know you guys will view this as a bit arrogant but so be it: Whenever any A-10 team plays X it's their Super Bowl. Every team and its students gets jacked up to play X. We face white-outs, red-outs, and all the likes during the season. Point being, we kind of viewed this as just another game and weren't that loud. A lame excuse, I know, but the truth at the same time.

Anyways, I applaud SLU's students for their travels and applaud them for their intensity, good to see some passionate fan-bases.

I'll readily that SLU's students were loud and probably out-cheered us.

BUT

And I know you guys will view this as a bit arrogant but so be it: Whenever any A-10 team plays X it's their Super Bowl. Every team and its students gets jacked up to play X. We face white-outs, red-outs, and all the likes during the season. Point being, we kind of viewed this as just another game and weren't that loud. A lame excuse, I know, but the truth at the same time.

Anyways, I applaud SLU's students for their travels and applaud them for their intensity, good to see some passionate fan-bases.

I can see that. Makes sense to me.

Just caught up on all the threads after returning from Cincinnati last night. It was an enjoyable game (that 2nd half was a lot of fun before the last 2 minutes) and weekend.

The SLUnatics were fantastic. We were sitting 10 rows in front of them and the X fans around us weren't happy with the X students. A guy kept yelling at the X student section/band to "do something." I think the X band spent half the game looking up at the SLU section. The X band finally started chanting "It's our house" or something like that with 30 seconds left AFTER the game had been decided. The X fans around us also started some trash talk (we made sure not to say anything directed at them when we were ahead) as they started to walk out of the game in the last minute. Their big line was "Thanks for supporting Xavier athletics with your money." ????? After some banter back and forth a gentleman with a nice mullet said "I'll be right here next game. Where will you be?" Not sure what that meant, but obviously not at a Xavier game if SLU isn't there. The SLUnatics had some clever chants. The X fans enjoyed the "What's that blue thing?" chant.

Rosey, I agree that our fans get up for X and we've been waiting a long time for a weekend game at an opponent we can travel to. However, in talking to X fans they are very similar to SLU fans in that they are an older crowd that sits on their hands until big runs or the ball toss. Or until they play UC. They are though, for the most part, a very friendly crowd.

The X band was decent, but only played a couple of times. A lot of piped in music was played.

Speaking of bands, SLUnatics how about a bighead of Mike Bizcala (sp?), the band director? The man is a legend.

Wore the SLU gear around town the rest of the day. Ran into some other SLU folk/people interested in SLU.

Definitely recommend Terry's Turf Club for a great eating experience.

Just caught up on all the threads after returning from Cincinnati last night. It was an enjoyable game (that 2nd half was a lot of fun before the last 2 minutes) and weekend.

The SLUnatics were fantastic. We were sitting 10 rows in front of them and the X fans around us weren't happy with the X students. A guy kept yelling at the X student section/band to "do something." I think the X band spent half the game looking up at the SLU section. The X band finally started chanting "It's our house" or something like that with 30 seconds left AFTER the game had been decided. The X fans around us also started some trash talk (we made sure not to say anything directed at them when we were ahead) as they started to walk out of the game in the last minute. Their big line was "Thanks for supporting Xavier athletics with your money." ????? After some banter back and forth a gentleman with a nice mullet said "I'll be right here next game. Where will you be?" Not sure what that meant, but obviously not at a Xavier game if SLU isn't there. The SLUnatics had some clever chants. The X fans enjoyed the "What's that blue thing?" chant.

Rosey, I agree that our fans get up for X and we've been waiting a long time for a weekend game at an opponent we can travel to. However, in talking to X fans they are very similar to SLU fans in that they are an older crowd that sits on their hands until big runs or the ball toss. Or until they play UC. They are though, for the most part, a very friendly crowd.

The X band was decent, but only played a couple of times. A lot of piped in music was played.

Speaking of bands, SLUnatics how about a bighead of Mike Bizcala (sp?), the band director? The man is a legend.

Wore the SLU gear around town the rest of the day. Ran into some other SLU folk/people interested in SLU.

Definitely recommend Terry's Turf Club for a great eating experience.

Wow, LD, you must have been sitting right by me. I was in the second row, 4th seat from the wall, in section 216, same section the SLU students were in. My observations are largely the same:

-SLU's student section dominated the holy living ###### out of Xavier's pathetic excuse for a student section. I went to 3 full seasons of XU games when I lived there (late 2007-mid 2010) and rarely is the student section not full when it isn't a break. For this game, almost one entire section of the four was empty and students gradually filled it in over the first half. They didn't chant, make much noise, or do much of anything the entire game until that limp "This is our house!" chant with under 1:00 in regulation (to which even the XU fans near me were saying to shut up because they didn't earn the privelege). Our students were loud, creative, funny, and got a lot of respect from the season ticket holders around me. Massive tip of the hat to the SLU students who came out and made their presence felt.

-The guy in the middle of 216 yelling "DO SOMETHING!" at the XU students is a pretty good guy despite his, "Thanks for supporting XU athletics" on the way out the door. He played rugby there and still has a wild streak. He was giving me hell as soon as I walked in: "Once a season you wear that disgusting SLU crap!" The fans around me were all complaining that our students were dominating theirs. The guy with the mullet is an idiot and I think he might be a little slow; if he is an XU grad, their admission standards have changed significantly since his day.

-SLU's band blows XU's out of the water. Not only does theirs only play a few songs a game, but they aren't nearly as good. I'm not musically gifted whatsoever but I can tell a huge difference between how crisp the SLU band is when compared to just about every other one I've heard live.

-XU's fans are very much the same as SLU's, except that they seem to enjoy more respect locally because of the program's consistent success. There also seems to be a few more of them. They're friendly, knowledgeable, and pretty much feel like any SLU crowd, just wearing slightly different apparel. That also means they aren't as raucous as they could be, and as Box observed at halftime, it's hard to believe XU has such a dominant home record without rowdier fans and with their arena.

-I was getting the verbal sympathy of all XU season ticket holders around me about the officiating. The prevailing statement was, "We're used to terrible A10 refs, too, but you guys are getting the worst of it today." The thing is, SLU doesn't ever seem to wind up with an advantage from these poor officials when at home. I would have loved to see a POBC (Points Off Blown Calls) stat for this game, and would imagine that it was something like 21-4 in XU's favor. Major wag of the finger to the officials in this game; at first, bad calls seemed to be going both ways but they slanted one way as the game progressed and it worked to XU's advantage.

-That said, another familiar storyline is my big reason why we lost this game: we simply do not knock down open shots like other teams. 8-21 from downtown is not terrible, but so many of those 13 misses were great open looks that just rimmed out. When Lyons, Holloway, or Jackson put up similar shots, they banged them in.

-SLU outplayed XU for most of this game. That makes the loss sting a little worse. Despite allowing 15 more points than usual, I thought our defense was right where it needed to be. They happened to hit a lot of 3s late in the shot clock and had an inordinate amount of and-1 calls for a college game (seriously, when Holloway is fouled by the free throw line as he's dribbling, his subsequent layup should not count- this isn't the NBA). I didn't think Xavier's intensity or effort were anywhere near where ours was for just about the whole game; they just happen to have better, more experienced players overall right now.

-You guys got Mack's 'chess and checkers' quote correct. I took it as a compliment for Majerus, and Mack's respect for his ability to coach a team full of freshman to a near-victory over the perennial first-place A10 team. The prevailing opinion about Mack among XU fans, as far as I can tell, is that they like that he's a dyed-in-the-wool Cincinnatian with a lot of experience under multiple coaches at Xavier, but that they worry about his ability to control his team. I've heard rumblings that Holloway and a couple others don't show him much respect and that he doesn't always get everyone on the same page in practice. This is probably the sign of a young coach but it always makes me nervous when an HC doesn't seem to have full control and respect.

-Terry's Turf Club makes the best burger I've had in Cincinnati. Good call getting over there. I have plenty of other non-obvious (i.e. Skyline, Montgomery Inn, any of Jeff Ruby's places, Graeter's, LaRosa's, et al) recommendations if anyone is heading back there anytime soon or for next season's game- or staying around there for the Dayton game.

"Mack's 'chess and checkers' quote"

i thought it was the best game majerus has coached since he came to slu.

he went through a period where he alternated defenses.

he threw the box and one out there a few times.

he switched rotations,

he switched matchups.

he worked the refs.

he showed more emotion.

We were very close then. I was in Row F about the middle of the section. Next to the giant guy with the red beard and huge blonde hair (who the slunatic girls were fawning over after the game).

I enjoyed the "do something" guy. My favorite line was when somebody told him that the student section must be hungover. He said, "That's no excuse. It's simple college math. Wake up, pound a few beers, stroll over to the stadium and yell like crazy! It's college. These kids are 18 and 19! No excuse." Hilarious.

The mullet guy was cracking us up. I would agree that he was a little slow. He would stand up and turn around during time outs, cross his arms, and smirk at the student section. He would occasionally yell something, but was drowned out by the students and I couldn't hear him. He thought the "thanks for supporting X athletics" line was the funniest thing he'd ever heard and repeated it at least 15 times.

The officials did a decent job (i.e. their usual blown call every 2 minutes or so) until the middle of the 2nd half. Then they took it HNL. The travel on Evans was unbelievable. Majerus and Mack were both all over the tall bald ref. That guy was terrible.

But, as usual, we can't blame the refs. You hit it right on the head. The offense works, we get great shots, we just can't make them! We missed so many in the last 10 minutes. The one I remember most is 1 minute left in the game, down by 6, McCall wide open 3, nothing but iron. That was ballgame. X did not miss an open 3 in the 2nd half.

The dinner call was between Terry's and Zip's. Terry's is a great experience all around.

"Mack's 'chess and checkers' quote"

i thought it was the best game majerus has coached since he came to slu.

he went through a period where he alternated defenses.

he threw the box and one out there a few times.

he switched rotations,

he switched matchups.

he worked the refs.

he showed more emotion.

I agree, Roy. Loved the passion he was showing. He wants that big win for these kids.

You can forget about ever getting a call from an A-10 referee. As far as they are concerned, with the distances that they must travel from their homes (all in the East), SLU is still the "road team," even at home. This is the rule - SLU fans just need to be able to defeat the other team, plus the three A-10 officials assigned to the game, who wish they hadn't drawn the "short straw."

5 on 8 isn't fair, but it's the real deal.

We were very close then. I was in Row F about the middle of the section. Next to the giant guy with the red beard and huge blonde hair (who the slunatic girls were fawning over after the game).

I enjoyed the "do something" guy. My favorite line was when somebody told him that the student section must be hungover. He said, "That's no excuse. It's simple college math. Wake up, pound a few beers, stroll over to the stadium and yell like crazy! It's college. These kids are 18 and 19! No excuse." Hilarious.

The mullet guy was cracking us up. I would agree that he was a little slow. He would stand up and turn around during time outs, cross his arms, and smirk at the student section. He would occasionally yell something, but was drowned out by the students and I couldn't hear him. He thought the "thanks for supporting X athletics" line was the funniest thing he'd ever heard and repeated it at least 15 times.

The officials did a decent job (i.e. their usual blown call every 2 minutes or so) until the middle of the 2nd half. Then they took it HNL. The travel on Evans was unbelievable. Majerus and Mack were both all over the tall bald ref. That guy was terrible.

But, as usual, we can't blame the refs. You hit it right on the head. The offense works, we get great shots, we just can't make them! We missed so many in the last 10 minutes. The one I remember most is 1 minute left in the game, down by 6, McCall wide open 3, nothing but iron. That was ballgame. X did not miss an open 3 in the 2nd half.

The dinner call was between Terry's and Zip's. Terry's is a great experience all around.

I can't specifically remember you guys. I must not have been as immediately attracted to your bearded pal; maybe it was beard jealousy as I have to keep mine somewhat groomed, working a damn desk job. I had on a shirt with a huge "SLU" on the front and Billiken face on the back.

I don't remember if she was at this one, but the mullet guy's wife can barely squeeze into her seat and is ALWAYS eating something nasty, or at least making a simple snack look nasty. He has no room to talk trash to anyone for any reason.

You made the right call with Terry's over Zip's. Zip's uses good beef (from my favorite butcher in the world, Avril Bleh in downtown Cincy) but makes their patties smaller, like Steak 'N Shake, instead of those big fat juicy ones at Terry's. If you ever go there, The Train Wreck has 2 patties, a split grilled mettwurst, a pile of shaved ham, and cheese. That's the one to get.

Roy, completely agreed. Majerus was excellent on Saturday morning. There was some fuss in the Cincy (and national) press because he apparently pounded his fist and broke a laptop after one call. I was on my feet half the game screaming and probably would have broken a laptop at some point if there was one nearby. Majerus normally is calmer with the refs and doesn't work them that much during timeouts, opting to talk to his players instead, so when he goes nuts on them you can be sure they're downright awful.