OT: Professional Soccer in St. Louis

kevinfootes

OK, pal, you bet on the Samoans, I will bet on the Kenyans in the 10K. Impeccable BS on your part.

It is awesome how you go from point A to point B like that. Yes, that is exactly what I said. I would take a Samoan over a Kenyan in a 10K. Actually, it almost sounds like the beginning of an off-color joke: 'A Samoan and a Kenyan walk into a bar...'

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is awesome how you go from point A to point B like that. Yes, that is exactly what I said. I would take a Samoan over a Kenyan in a 10K. Actually, it almost sounds like the beginning of an off-color joke: 'A Samoan and a Kenyan walk into a bar...'

What happened to the MB73 who said earlier in this thread that the rest of the world didn't have choices and needed to kick a soccer ball? Look at MB73's progress. Now Kenyans can run marathons. Yugoslavians can play basketball.

I call that progress.

You talk in circles. Despite the interest level in St. Louis, professional soccer and the attemt to get it here in St. Louis fails. Fact without dispute. AAlso have not seen any non St. Louis investors attempting to put a franchise here.

Men's minor league soccer, women's pro soccer and indoor soccer? Uh that isn't soccer at or near its highest levels. And that continues to be the point. People want to see their sport at or near its highest levels. Women's pro soccer problems is not a St. Louis problem. Minor league soccer league challenges are not a St. Louis problem. Indoor soccer challeneges are not a St. Louis problem.

Now if you want to discuss the higher levels of soccer, that's a much different story.

If you want to discuss MLS we can discuss that. Thus far. St. Louis has not attracted an owner local or otherwise that convince the league of its financials. This combined with the competitive landscape to get a limited number of teams over a several year period has thus far kept St. Louis on the outside looking for an MLS team.

St. Louis has to get its ownership group, financials, stadium plans etc...in order.

Those other leagues and sport mentioned don't have relevance because they weren't viable leagues. You kept mentioning them as examples. They are relevant to the discussion.

Men's minor league soccer, women's pro soccer and indoor soccer? Uh that isn't soccer at or near its highest levels. And that continues to be the point. People want to see their sport at or near its highest levels. Women's pro soccer problems is not a St. Louis problem. Minor league soccer league challenges are not a St. Louis problem. Indoor soccer challeneges are not a St. Louis problem.

Now if you want to discuss the higher levels of soccer, that's a much different story.

If you want to discuss MLS we can discuss that. Thus far. St. Louis has not attracted an owner local or otherwise that convince the league of its financials. This combined with the competitive landscape to get a limited number of teams over a several year period has thus far kept St. Louis on the outside looking for an MLS team.

St. Louis has to get its ownership group, financials, stadium plans etc...in order.

Those other leagues and sport mentioned don't have relevance because they weren't viable leagues. You kept mentioning them as examples. They are relevant to the discussion.

Courtside (and a few others) continue to hit the nail on the head on so many levels that I'm shocked that anyone is even bothering to argue with them anymore. MB73, you've come off as the most petulant, underinformed, immature person in this whole thread. Your ad hominem attacks and non sequitors have failed miserably.

What happened to the MB73 who said earlier in this thread that the rest of the world didn't have choices and needed to kick a soccer ball? Look at MB73's progress. Now Kenyans can run marathons. Yugoslavians can play basketball.

I call that progress.

A bunch of Yugoslavians attended my shooting camp this summer and it's clearly made a difference.

Courtside (and a few others) continue to hit the nail on the head on so many levels that I'm shocked that anyone is even bothering to argue with them anymore. MB73, you've come off as the most petulant, underinformed, immature person in this whole thread. Your ad hominem attacks and non sequitors have failed miserably.

The author of this thread threw out some flame bait. Courtside called him on it and destroyed him. Rather than dropping it, the author of the thread kept it going by flailing around in a weak attempt to save face. To make it worse, some bizarre sidebar about Duke breaks out, sealing this as one of the dumbest threads ever. Time to play basketball and bury this nonsense.

I call that progress.

No, I said that the rest of the world did not have the choice to watch NFL football, NCAA football, ML Baseball, NBA Basketball, NCAA Basketball, NHL Hockey, etc. So, for the most part, the rest of the world is stuck with soccer.

We were talking about big time spectator sports. St. Louisans will not pay to see a 90 minute professional 1-0 soccer game out in the cold when they have so many outstanding choices.

Pro soccer has failed here time and time again.

I know you understand that, but will not acknowledge it. (waiting for smart ass reply with ridicule to distract the point...)

So, you think pro soccer has a future in St. Louis? Men's? Womans? Please explain.

Are MOST Kenyan citizens great distance runners? If I go into any household in Kenya, can I just randomly ask someone to run me a sub 3:00 marathon right away? Or, perhaps more likely, there have been many great runners from Kenya and the country has decided to focus on long distance running for some time now? It was how you made your statement that caused me to call you out. You stated that MOST Yugoslavians have specific traits that make them good basketball players. That, in essence, is stereotyping. Basically, you made a generalizing, sweeping statement about a certain ethnic group.

Earlier in this thread, you complained about people being immature and calling others names. In this post, you called me a lifetime loser and a smart mouth dweeb. Prior to that, you called me an internet tough guy who was upset about being cut from my freshmen teams. Where is your level of maturity? Yes, I have picked on many of your posts due to the basic level of inanity and absurdity contained within but I don't think I have ever stooped to your level of childish name calling. And even if I had, I never tried to prop myself up by calling others immature while gleefully throwing around insults.

I did not call you any "names" until you called me a ******. Two separate posts.

So do not misrepresent the facts.

No, not all Kenyans are not great distance runners, I never said ALL. Same with Yugoslavians and their height, strength, skills... though part of that was in jest to Courtside, who pointed out their success (you did not call him out on that, just me) but again, you didn't get it. Back off.

No, I said that the rest of the world did not have the choice to watch NFL football, NCAA football, ML Baseball, NBA Basketball, NCAA Basketball, NHL Hockey, etc. So, for the most part, the rest of the world is stuck with soccer.

We were talking about big time spectator sports. St. Louisans will not pay to see a 90 minute professional 1-0 soccer game out in the cold when they have so many outstanding choices.

Pro soccer has failed here time and time again.

I know you understand that, but will not acknowledge it. (waiting for smart ass reply with ridicule to distract the point...)

The rest of the world had the same two opportunities of those in America. Watch the on tv...yesterday's games were aired on television in 175 different countries. Watch on the internet. Or travel and go to the game.

I did not call you any "names" until you called me a ******. Two separate posts.

No, not all Kenyans are not great distance runners, I never said ALL. Same with Yugoslavians and their height, strength, skills... though part of that was in jest to Courtside, who pointed out their success (you did not call him out on that, just me) but again, you didn't get it. Back off.

You said "most" Yugoslavians have 4-5 specific characteristics

You called several other people names and made mean spirited comments, ignorant stereotypes and across the board generalizations.

..And to think you were making progress. "If You've come this far Red, perhaps you'll come a little farther."

If St. Louis got an MLS team, it would thrive. Not some crappy indoor soccer team or some minor league crap. MLS would be very successful in this market.

I think they'd have to be smart about where they built the stadium. I'd have went to Edwardsville, but I think putting the team there would severely hinder the chances for success. The soccer park area in Fenton is a great locale, but is there room there? I see St. Charles as a little better than Edwardsville, but still a tough sell.

There's always the "as long as" factor. The interest, and fan support is there. The owner will need to be sound financially, with a good stadium plan, solid marketing/pr etc...but there's no reason to believe an MLS team could not be successful in St. Louis if it was run well.

Other past minor league stuff, indoor stuff, women's stuff is irrelevant to MLS.

I think they'd have to be smart about where they built the stadium. I'd have went to Edwardsville, but I think putting the team there would severely hinder the chances for success. The soccer park area in Fenton is a great locale, but is there room there? I see St. Charles as a little better than Edwardsville, but still a tough sell.

St. Louisans have such a weird complex with crossing bridges. It really doesn't add a half hour to your trip, guys- I promise.

The rest of the world had the same two opportunities of those in America. Watch the on tv...yesterday's games were aired on television in 175 different countries. Watch on the internet. Or travel and go to the game.

Irrelevant, but another spectacular try. Internet access?

GOING to games, paying for parking, paying for tickets, buying concessions.

St. Louisans can watch soccer on the internet, too, but will not go to a game and buy tickets, etc, enough to support a pro soccer team.

If St. Louis got an MLS team, it would thrive. Not some crappy indoor soccer team or some minor league crap. MLS would be very successful in this market.

Think so? Are you going to purchase any stock this week? If so, please advise.

St. Louisans can watch soccer on the internet, too, but will not go to a game and buy tickets, etc, enough to support a pro soccer team.

Stop speaking for St. Louis, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You said the rest of the world didn't have a choice to watch and I showed that yes, they do.

I'm also separately sure you're well aware that attendance at NFL games is down for the 4th year in a row. Television ratings are up. More and more people who previously attended games are watching at home instead.

Ahhh, MB. I positively love your diatribes. So petulant, so full of vitriol. Where to even start with this statement? Did I call you a ******? Hell yes, I did. In fact, I did that because you dared me to call you a ****** after reading your posts. Basically, I pointed out that anyone who comes onto a SLU website and espouses the awesomeness of Duke is being a ******. You took offense to that and dared me to read your posts before saying that to you personally. I had no choice but to then call you that. You brought it on yourself.

Another point is that you called everyone else immature for hating Duke or calling others names, but I guess that doesn't apply to you as you have been the biggest offender. I have been called a lifetime loser, an A-hole, a smart mouth dweeb, someone who got cut from his freshman team, an internet tough guy, among other names. Just seems like you are placing yourself above others, stating that it is OK for you to throw around childish insults but it is absolutely not OK for anyone to call you anything.

I have no need to call out courtside because he did not make a sweeping generalization about an ethnic group. He was answereing one of your barely comprehensible, rambling statements about how the US dominates in all sports other than soccer. He merely pointed out Yugoslavia's succes in basketball on the international stage. He never made a statement that MOST Yugoslavs have specific traits. You did that. He did not stereotype. You did. It was the very definition of stereotyping. But, obviously I am going to take the side of a 'foo-foo liberal' like courtside, huh?

There's always the "as long as" factor. The interest, and fan support is there. The owner will need to be sound financially, with a good stadium plan, solid marketing/pr etc...but there's no reason to believe an MLS team could not be successful in St. Louis if it was run well.

Other past minor league stuff, indoor stuff, women's stuff is irrelevant to MLS.

Honest and sincere question with no sarcasm. Do you not think that the lack of soccer success you state as irrelevant is not considered at all when looking at St. Louis in the possibility of bringing a major professional soccer team here? Kansas City has 1/2 the population of St. Louis but yet they have an MLS team.

Honest and sincere question with no sarcasm. Do you not think that the lack of soccer success you state as irrelevant is not considered at all when looking at St. Louis in the possibility of bringing a major professional soccer team here? Kansas City has 1/2 the population of St. Louis but yet they have an MLS team.

My answer in the 149th post in this thread isn't any different than elsewhere in this thread. No.

Why does KC have a team?

Answer: Two words. Lamar Hunt.

You know Lamar Hunt, born in Arkansas, raised in Dallas, inherited boatloads of oil money, started the AFL Dallas Texans but couldn't winover fan support away from the Dallas Cowboys. So, he moves his team elsewhere, Kansas City to be exact. He struggles for support initially in KC with the Chiefs but over time and with some on the field success support came. Lamar Hunt, who took trips abroad to Europe and started attending European soccer matches in the early 1960's...attended a dozen or so World Cups(which only occur every 4 years)...who's son later played soccer for Lamar's alma mater SMU. Lamar also owned the Dallas MLS team, as well as Columbus btw. Now the league has been pushing away from owners owning more than one team.

Lamar Hunt is the reason KC got a team. Big money, passion for soccer, already living there/ties to the area.

It didn't have anything to do with whether or not anyone went to the now defunct Kansas City Comets games or now defunct Kasas City Attack games.