OT: Professional Soccer in St. Louis

kevinfootes

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched an entire NASL pro soccer game in St. Louis in the mid '70's at Washington U.

A couple of my friends who had played for SLU and won 3-4 NCAA Titles were on the team, but it was mostly old Yugoslavian guys on both teams.

The game ended 0-0.

Then there was an overtime, still ended 0-0.

A priest in the stands tried to poke his eyes out with a pen, we stopped him just in time.

Then there was a shoot out, we lost.

They did not serve alcohol, made it even worse.

huh?

Duke would be my choice.

What coach-team-players-season W-L records, championships would you rather have than Duke for the last 15-20 years or thereabouts?

Cincy w/ Huggins? Petino w/ Louisville? Am I going too fast?

If only Grinnell College would re-join the MVC. You want to talk about options.

Life just hasn't been the same since they left the MVC in 1939.

Losers deflect the issue with comedy when they are dead wrong. Bill Maher is a great example. And you.

Duke would be my choice.

What coach-team-players-season W-L records, championships would you rather have than Duke for the last 15-20 years or thereabouts?

Cincy w/ Huggins? Petino w/ Louisville? Am I going too fast?

I'll stick with being a SLU fan. Every time I'm around a Dukie there seems to be an unpleasant odor in the air.

I watched an entire NASL pro soccer game in St. Louis in the mid '70's at Washington U.

A couple of my friends who had played for SLU and won 3-4 NCAA Titles were on the team, but it was mostly old Yugoslavian guys on both teams.

The game ended 0-0.

Then there was an overtime, still ended 0-0.

A priest in the stands tried to poke his eyes out with a pen, we stopped him just in time.

Then there was a shoot out, we lost.

They did not serve alcohol, made it even worse.

Wow, that seems like a horrific experience. I'd bet all the fans at the Ice Bowl decided football sucked after attending it also.

I'll stick with being a SLU fan. Every time I'm around a Dukie there seems to be an unpleasant odor in the air.

Pathetic answer.

I did not say you would no longer be a SLU fan.

I am asking you a direct question, which you are avoiding like a 6th grader.

WHAT TEAM would you rather have, let's even say it would "turn into" SLU, but could have Coach K, every single one of their players, All Americans, asst coaches, their championships... last 15 - 20 yrs or therabout.

Name the team.

Wow, that seems like a horrific experience. I'd bet all the fans at the Ice Bowl decided football sucked after attending it also.

The Ice Bowl, Green Bay won 20-17, right? Bart Star QB sneak. Are you kidding? That was great.

And your answer is a function of the weather... not a variable in the 0-0 soccer game I saw. Keep trying, you will come up with something.

Losers deflect the issue with comedy when they are dead wrong. Bill Maher is a great example. And you.

I know you are quicker than Billy White Shoes touchdown dance after a luv Ya Blue Houston Oiler touchdown...but..

According to you...

This thread is about baseball, basketball, hockey, St. Louis being the center of the U.S. Soccer Universe 40 years ago, Ghana, Kevin Slaten, Yugoslavians of the 1970's, Bill Maher, some sort of hybrid person of Bobby Petrino and Rick Pitino (at least they both coached at the same school at one time), Albert Pujols, Duke, UC, just for starters.

Pathetic answer.

I did not say you would no longer be a SLU fan.

I am asking you a direct question, which you are avoiding like a 6th grader.

WHAT TEAM would you rather have, let's even say it would "turn into" SLU, but could have Coach K, every single one of their players, All Americans, asst coaches, their championships... last 15 - 20 yrs or therabout.

Name the team.

Are you trying to make a point? It would be much clearer if you just wrote "Duke has been more successful than SLU". Perhaps you were trying to get me to say it? Yes, Duke has been more successful than SLU.

Do you like Memphis, Louisville, Cinci, Arizona, Texas, OU, Mizzou, St. Johns, UNC, Ohio State .... they've all been more successful than SLU also. Just thought I'd clear the air on those teams too.

According to you...

This thread is about baseball, basketball, hockey, St. Louis being the center of the U.S. Soccer Universe 40 years ago, Ghana, Kevin Slaten, Yugoslavians of the 1970's, Bill Maher, some sort of hybrid person of Bobby Petrino and Rick Pitino (at least they both coached at the same school at one time), Albert Pujols, Duke, UC, just for starters.

And 6th graders, which is a little weird.

The Ice Bowl, Green Bay won 20-17, right? Bart Star QB sneak. Are you kidding? That was great.

And your answer is a function of the weather... not a variable in the 0-0 soccer game I saw. Keep trying, you will come up with something.

After hearing about you attending that game that has stayed with you for 35+ years, I get it.

How about that Cardinal game that was 0-0 after what 17, 18 innings. Damn lucky you didn't attend that one, you'd dislike baseball also wouldn't you?

Are you trying to make a point? It would be much clearer if you just wrote "Duke has been more successful than SLU". Perhaps you were trying to get me to say it? Yes, Duke has been more successful than SLU.

Do you like Memphis, Louisville, Cinci, Arizona, Texas, OU, Mizzou, St. Johns, UNC, Ohio State .... they've all been more successful than SLU also. Just thought I'd clear the air on those teams too.

Which t-e-a-m would you take rather than Duke: coach, players, NCAAA tourney visits, NCAA championships, closest to SLU's scholastic requirments and overall values?

Which t-e-a-m?

You'd take Cincy w/ Huggins here? Louisville?

After hearing about you attending that game that has stayed with you for 35+ years, I get it.

How about that Cardinal game that was 0-0 after what 17, 18 innings. Damn lucky you didn't attend that one, you'd dislike baseball also wouldn't you?

The over unders for Cardinal games are usually 8 - 9.

For professional soccer, 2 - 2.5.

0-0 and 1-0 games in soccer occur routinely, not in baseball.

Facts are facts.

Nice try.

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

Which t-e-a-m would you take rather than Duke: coach, players, NCAAA tourney visits, NCAA championships, closest to SLU's scholastic requirments and overall values?

Which t-e-a-m?

You'd take Cincy w/ Huggins here? Louisville?

I'm not sure I get your p-o-i-n-t. Why do I need to take another team rather than Duke? I don't like Duke. I'd take SLU and their NCAA tourney visits, coaches, players, and NCAA championships rather than Duke. How much clearer can I be?

Are you saying Cinci and Louisville have have scholastic requirements and overall values close to SLU?

Facts are facts.

Nice try.

C'mon Skip stay on point. A better reference would be the 1979 St. Louis Steamers...or perhaps...if you need a baseball moment...

1979 Cards down 3-1, and in St. Louis tradition everyone needed to leave early to beat the rush at the Jack-In-The-Box at New Halls Ferry and Parker Roads In Florissant...who could blame them with hard throwing lefty Joe Sambito closing up for the Astros. ...Bases loaded...and the legend, Roger Freed hammers a 3 run Home Run to win the game for your 1979 St. Louis Cardinals. Scrappy.

Facts are facts.

Nice try.

Yes, conversing with morons is sometimes humiliating, but I can't seem to help myself.

So it's the low scores you don't like?

I'm not sure I get your p-o-i-n-t. Why do I need to take another team rather than Duke? I don't like Duke. I'd take SLU and their NCAA tourney visits, coaches, players, and NCAA championships rather than Duke. How much clearer can I be?

Are you saying Cinci and Louisville have have scholastic requirements and overall values close to SLU?

Do you remember what went on with Huggins at Cincy all those yrs? You want that here?

Yes, conversing with morons is sometimes humiliating, but I can't seem to help myself.

So it's the low scores you don't like?

Yep.

They are great athletes, you watch for 90 minutes, a random shot from the corner gets thru 14 players bunched up in front of the goal, the ball deflects off a defender's shoulder, and a forward happens to randomly be standing there to punch it in.

Game over, 1-0.