Big East Expansion

slu72

Here we go again. A report today in the Newark Start Ledger (www.nj.com) says BE AD's are looking at expanding their FB league by 5 teams. Teams mentioned are TCU, 'Nova, Temple, Cent FL, and Houston. Nothing about hoops but one would assume that for TCU and Houston to leave CUSA they'd want in on the hoops action (read $$) as well. So will the BE become a 20 team hoops conference? Or do the non FB schools feel like the red headed step children and strike out on their own. Since Nova's going FB, the non FB'ers would be GU, ST. J, SHall, Prov, DePaul, MU, and ND. If you added X, DU, SLU, St. Joes, and Duquense to that group, you'd have the best non BCS hoops conference in the country and a two division league that makes some geographical and economical sense.

Geographical and economical sense,what are you talking about?Crazy talk.

So has Villanova decided they are going D1 for football? Seen Temple is now 7-2,do know if that will play into anything.

Here we go again. A report today in the Newark Start Ledger (www.nj.com) says BE AD's are looking at expanding their FB league by 5 teams. Teams mentioned are TCU, 'Nova, Temple, Cent FL, and Houston. Nothing about hoops but one would assume that for TCU and Houston to leave CUSA they'd want in on the hoops action (read $$) as well. So will the BE become a 20 team hoops conference? Or do the non FB schools feel like the red headed step children and strike out on their own. Since Nova's going FB, the non FB'ers would be GU, ST. J, SHall, Prov, DePaul, MU, and ND. If you added X, DU, SLU, St. Joes, and Duquense to that group, you'd have the best non BCS hoops conference in the country and a two division league that makes some geographical and economical sense.

Here is the article.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/big_east_looks_to_expand_bVIhWzOrP6cZkQQWeyjmWM

Seems to me a possible scenario is they invite some version of those schools for football only. If their current conferences don't balk at them just playing the non-football sports, I could see them jumping at the chance to join a weak BCS conference. I find it very hard to believe that Syracuse, Rutgers etc. are going to be in a conference with TCU and Houston for all sports...

Why can't we get Marquette, De Paul,

Bradley Home and Home, regardless; I think

Our OOC stinks and we are in a good conference

RM should stop whining and play the best

Teams- let's be a permanent buy game for

Duke. We had something going a few years

Back meeting Minnesita in the NIT schedule

Them instead of Rockhurst

Geographical and economical sense,what are you talking about?Crazy talk.

If something like that were to develop, you'd have a division of SLU, DU, X, MU, DePaul and Duquense. We'd have 2 games a year w/ these schools. That's 5 MWest road trips. Assuming another 5 games against the E.Coast schools every year and we'd only be going there 2-3 times a year. Ask RM if he wouldn't prefer the above scenario to what we have now.

Sorry, Kshoe, I don't see TCU and Houston leaving CUSA for just FB. It doesn't make sense.

This is like a bad joke that keeps on gaining mileage .... and the more times its in the paper, the more truth it seems to hold.

Temple is 7 and 2, yes, and they gave a down Penn State team a good tussle in Happy Valley before succumbing to superior numbers. But they are a MAC-level football school. Not that the MAC is "bad" football but it isn't hard to win the MAC as opposed to the SEC or Big Ten. Temple went this MAC route because they were very bad playing a sub-par BCS schedule only a few years ago. 'Nova is supposed to make its Division I decision somewhere around the turn of the new year. Even so, ramp up to a full Division I school will take a little time. I personally can't see the Texas schools picking up stakes and moving to esentially a northeast, Atlantic coast dominated league. And Central Florida? East Carolina would seem a more likely candidate for the Big East unless they are trying to pair up South Florida with a local and potential rival.

Once again, Big East football is crap and relatively inconsequential right now. The only pro I see to a move like this for TCU is getting in the BCS door. Not being a deeply religious football man --- I don't care and I can't fathom any other reason why they'd do this.

Once again, Big East football is crap and relatively inconsequential right now. The only pro I see to a move like this for TCU is getting in the BCS door. Not being a deeply religious football man --- I don't care and I can't fathom any other reason why they'd do this.

Agree. I think a better offer than the Big East will fall in TCU's lap sooner rather than later. The geography of TCU going to the Big East for all sports is mind boggling. They are a top 10 program right now in football (which as everyone knows drives conference affiliation for football schools). The Big 12 has been hurt by the departure of Nebraska. The only thing keeping TCU out of the Big 12 is UT. I think the folks in Austin should pull their heads out and realize that getting TCU into the Big 12 is the best thing for their program in the long run. They could put TCU into the Big 12 north to somewhat mollify UT.

Now look who is whinning.

Agree. I think a better offer than the Big East will fall in TCU's lap sooner rather than later. The geography of TCU going to the Big East for all sports is mind boggling. They are a top 10 program right now in football (which as everyone knows drives conference affiliation for football schools). The Big 12 has been hurt by the departure of Nebraska. The only thing keeping TCU out of the Big 12 is UT. I think the folks in Austin should pull their heads out and realize that getting TCU into the Big 12 is the best thing for their program in the long run. They could put TCU into the Big 12 north to somewhat mollify UT.

The rest of the Big 12 would not want another Texas school - that was part of the whole problem last year to start with. The league is Texas centrist already and this would make it worse. The other members of the Big 12 want the conference to be more than Texas schools controlled league. TCU will have to look elswhere for a BCS invite. Now if MO goes to the SEC or Big 10 sometime down the road then maybe an opening could be there but my guess is it would have to take OU leaving also to make that happen.

The rest of the Big 12 would not want another Texas school - that was part of the whole problem last year to start with. The league is Texas centrist already and this would make it worse. The other members of the Big 12 want the conference to be more than Texas schools controlled league. TCU will have to look elswhere for a BCS invite. Now if MO goes to the SEC or Big 10 sometime down the road then maybe an opening could be there but my guess is it would have to take OU leaving also to make that happen.

MO is stuck in the Big 12, which is now the Big Texas conference. Might as well admit it and move on. The Big 12 is left with deciding between the lesser of evils and the Texas schools can do whatever they want with the conference (MO just along for the ride). If I'm Texas, I get over the public / private rivalry and take TCU.

MO is stuck in the Big 12, which is now the Big Texas conference. Might as well admit it and move on. The Big 12 is left with deciding between the lesser of evils and the Texas schools can do whatever they want with the conference (MO just along for the ride). If I'm Texas, I get over the public / private rivalry and take TCU.

-why does texas want to change what they are going to get out of the new big 12?

TCU gives the big 12 no extra tv money. Any expansion for that conference will most likely come beyond its current footprint. The Big East would love a texas presence for football.

I think any Big East expansion for football would reach into C-USA.

I could see Central Florida,Memphis, and East Carolina being invited,with Marshall a possibility.

Hope something like this happens and the basketball schools say enough,and decide to form with like minded schools.The time is now for SLU to take a lead,and start talks.

Here is the latest

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898

Hard to say how this affects basketball. If they add only 2 more football do they also add 2 in basketball to form a 20 team league? Are they content at 18?

If Villanova is one of the 2 "added" in football then they would only need one more. Do they go find one basketball only school (Xavier) to make it an 18 team league?

Now for the Kshoe sarcastic rant: if people really think the basketball only schools currently in the Big East, which are addicted to the money from that conference and won't even give us a home and home because it cuts into their revenue, are going to "follow SLU's lead" in trying to form a new league, then they should have their head examined.

We should hope that in whatever reshuffling that results from this:

1) Xavier and Dayton don't ditch us

2) By some miracle the basketball only schools break off we are attractive enough an option and the size of the league isn't too small so that the first picks (Xavier and Dayton) don't take the only open spots.

Here is the latest

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898

Hard to say how this affects basketball. If they add only 2 more football do they also add 2 in basketball to form a 20 team league? Are they content at 18?

If Villanova is one of the 2 "added" in football then they would only need one more. Do they go find one basketball only school (Xavier) to make it an 18 team league?

Now for the Kshoe sarcastic rant: if people really think the basketball only schools currently in the Big East, which are addicted to the money from that conference and won't even give us a home and home because it cuts into their revenue, are going to "follow SLU's lead" in trying to form a new league, then they should have their head examined.

We should hope that in whatever reshuffling that results from this:

1) Xavier and Dayton don't ditch us

2) By some miracle the basketball only schools break off we are attractive enough an option and the size of the league isn't too small so that the first picks (Xavier and Dayton) don't take the only open spots.

I believe that UC would attempt to block X coming to the Big East.

I believe that UC would attempt to block X coming to the Big East.

That may be, but really who in the Big East even cares what Cincy says. Their football program is average and their basketball team is nowhere near what is was under Huggins. I'm sure if they other 15 or 17 schools wanted Xavier, they'd tell Cinci where to shove it.

Who we play has nothing whatever to do with RM not wanting to play them. Your comments are ridiculous. If Marquette and DePaul would sign up to play home and home we would be glad to play them. We have been trying to work out a deal with Marquette for some time. These teams--so far--have not agreed to play us home and home. If Minnesota would play us home and home I am sure we would jump at it. Please know what you are talking about before you spout off.

kshoe,the basketball only schools wont leave the big east, the football schools will push them out or form their own conference. the football schools will think that since their fabulous football programs are providing all this additional goodwill and prestige that the basketball schools benefit from. eventually they will split because of it.

there is no chance of any additonal basketball only schools like us, dayton, or xu ever becoming part of the big east. that will never happen.

kshoe,the basketball only schools wont leave the big east, the football schools will push them out or form their own conference. the football schools will think that since their fabulous football programs are providing all this additional goodwill and prestige that the basketball schools benefit from. eventually they will split because of it.

there is no chance of any additonal basketball only schools like us, dayton, or xu ever becoming part of the big east. that will never happen.

I agree that the basketball only schools will never willingly leave the Big East.

I disagree that there couldn't be a scenario in the future where the Big East looks to add one or two more basketball only schools to even the balance out. If 16 isn't too big, there's no reason to believe 20 is to big. After all its the BIG east.

I agree that the basketball only schools will never willingly leave the Big East.

I disagree that there couldn't be a scenario in the future where the Big East looks to add one or two more basketball only schools to even the balance out. If 16 isn't too big, there's no reason to believe 20 is to big. After all its the BIG east.

News on 101.1 after the game said BE definitely adding TCU and one other school-not yet announced- sounds like the Mizzou BIG Ten dilemma MO twists while Nebraska decides; maybe tomoorw we know the other schools being courted