Today's Groupon

Won't this fill the arena with opposing team fans?

Only if the opposing team has a lot of local residents. The closest home game opponent we have is IUPUI so I don't see this as a huge risk.

I've had two people talk to me about the groupon at work today. Seems like it is at least reaching a broad audience. As a full paying season ticket holder I'm all for this. Anything that brings extra people to the Chaifetz is a good thing in my mind.

Only if the opposing team has a lot of local residents. The closest home game opponent we have is IUPUI so I don't see this as a huge risk.

I've had two people talk to me about the groupon at work today. Seems like it is at least reaching a broad audience. As a full paying season ticket holder I'm all for this. Anything that brings extra people to the Chaifetz is a good thing in my mind.

There are a whole boatload of Dayton Flyers and Musketeers lurking in our fair city.

mhg

-fill the arena, esp with people that otherwise would not have considered a SLU bball game

-the demographics of the average groupon subscriber are W-A-Y different than our average season ticket holder from an age perspective if nothing else, i would bet, so maybe they come to the game, have a good time and come back

-good move by the Adept

edit

-HOWEVER, there is a comment out there almost 3 hours old asking how this works, the Adept HAS to have someone monitoring the discussion to answer questions

I think this is a good idea. It will bring people who are on the fringe of going to games into the arena. hopefully some will choose to come again.

Groupon is very reliable. I use it all the time. Humphrey's had one yesterday $5 for $10 in drinks and food.

I just bought 3. Pretty easy process. Go on there and order them like you would anything else online. When you're finished, it takes about 5 minutes to process and then you get an email saying they're ready. Click on the link in the email and you'll have the option to print each coupon separately.

Each one is a PDF with a unique serial number and a bar code. It says "Good for 1 Tier B or Tier C Reserved Ticket to any 2010-2011 Regular Season Home Game".

Limit 5 per person.

Expires March 5, 2011 (duh).

Pick up your tickets at the Ticket Office on whichever game day you choose. (This brings up my only question: can I go to the ticket office before the game I want and redeem them? I need 3 for Xavier and don't want to wait.)

I just bought 3. Pretty easy process. Go on there and order them like you would anything else online. When you're finished, it takes about 5 minutes to process and then you get an email saying they're ready. Click on the link in the email and you'll have the option to print each coupon separately.

Each one is a PDF with a unique serial number and a bar code. It says "Good for 1 Tier B or Tier C Reserved Ticket to any 2010-2011 Regular Season Home Game".

Limit 5 per person.

Expires March 5, 2011 (duh).

Pick up your tickets at the Ticket Office on whichever game day you choose. (This brings up my only question: can I go to the ticket office before the game I want and redeem them? I need 3 for Xavier and don't want to wait.)

I have to believe the answer to that is yes.

But it brings up a different question. Lets say the Bills get hot and end up selling out the last 4 games of the season (hopefully sold to people that pay full price). What happens when the person with a groupon goes to the window and there are no tickets left that day or any other remaining game? Money back? Voucher for next year?

I have to believe the answer to that is yes.

But it brings up a different question. Lets say the Bills get hot and end up selling out the last 4 games of the season (hopefully sold to people that pay full price). What happens when the person with a groupon goes to the window and there are no tickets left that day or any other remaining game? Money back? Voucher for next year?

Also something that crossed my mind, which is another reason I want to get the tickets early, as in this or next week, whenever I have a chance to stop by the office.

I just called the ticket office and they said as soon as you have the paper vouchers printed, you can bring them in and get tickets for the game you want in advance.

Isn't this just the St. Louis groupon? I assumed that it is not a national one...

You can buy a groupon no matter where you live in the US. You just need to go to STL to redeem the Groupon.

It looks like as of now that they have sold 488 so far. I hope we sell a lot of these. When the arena is full we play well!

You can buy a groupon no matter where you live in the US. You just need to go to STL to redeem the Groupon.

It looks like as of now that they have sold 488 so far. I hope we sell a lot of these. When the arena is full we play well!

So, if I'm planning on going to a game, I can't buy these online and redeem over the phone? I am definitely planning to come up there for one game but I don't want to wait until game night to get the ticket. Am I out of luck? Also, what is tier 2 and 3? Good seats?

So, if I'm planning on going to a game, I can't buy these online and redeem over the phone? I am definitely planning to come up there for one game but I don't want to wait until game night to get the ticket. Am I out of luck? Also, what is tier 2 and 3? Good seats?

My understanding is that Groupon certificates/coupons/vouchers have to be redeemed in person. You can print them out or pull them up on your mobile device if you have a nice phone. If you're coming in from out of town, you'll have to do it when you get in town or print them out and mail them to someone here to do it for you.

As for what Tier 2 and 3 mean, for some reason I'm not surprised that SLU's Groupon promotion uses totally different language than any of the athletic department or arena or ticketing websites. I'm assuming they will be the purple and pink sections on here (the promotion is for $20 down to $10, which indicates the purple sections), but it would be cool if you could get green:

http://www.slubillikens.com/tickets/mbb-singlegame.html

Groupon is great for the consumer. Groupon is great for Groupon. Groupon is horrible for most merchants.

Groupon is great for the consumer. Groupon is great for Groupon. Groupon is horrible for most merchants.

-if you don't understand your pricing as a merchant neither Groupon or anything will save you

-if you know your pricing and how to sell to the customer, groupon can be a great way to expose your product/service to a new audience so from a new customer acquisition perspective it can be quite a good deal

-and yes, someone at groupon is probably making a very nice wage

-if you don't understand your pricing as a merchant neither Groupon or anything will save you

-if you know your pricing and how to sell to the customer, groupon can be a great way to expose your product/service to a new audience so from a new customer acquisition perspective it can be quite a good deal

-and yes, someone at groupon is probably making a very nice wage

This is the way I think about it: for the merchant such as SLU think of a break even point of 10,000 @ $25 for easy math you generate $250000 in ticket sales and it costs you $80,000 to the building open.

Each ticket contributes $8 toward costs and $17 in real gross margin. Every discount ticket even if sold at $10 would give you $10 in revenue over expenses if you have made your

break even point and if not each ticket would offset expense.

So assume $80,000 in expense to open for the night and only 5500 show up with fully paid for tickets: Gross is $137,500 less $80,000 you have an extra $57,500. Every ticket you sell for

$10 gives you $10 in profit if your break even is met or it pays down the expenses if break even has not been met.

If Groupon is horrible for the merchant why do they sign up?

Willie, they sign up because they really don't know any better. No upfront cost makes them feel it's a great deal.

There are plenty of merchants out there that have used Groupon and have stated they will not use them again. There have been articles written about it talking about the same thing. Some guy out in CA even started his own blog specifically talking about the issues for merchant's and allowed merchants to tell their stories.

I think it probably works for some merchants, but a huge percentage say they will never do it again. There was even an article that came out from a business owner that was titled something like, "The Single-Worst Business Decision I Have Ever Made" and it talked specifically about Groupon.

Groupon is making a fortune off of this. I read somewhere they they were making over a million a day. The Russian investors threw $140 million at Groupon before they were even really established. I know another group of investors threw $30 million at Living Social. Great concept, and I bet they make a fortune in the next 5 years or so, but from what I have read it probably won't be a long term solution.