Compton Road Closure Notice

DoctorB

Road Closure Notice; this will certainly affect basketball traffic through the holidays...

Beginning Monday, the Compton Avenue bridge between Chouteau Avenue and Spruce Street is scheduled to close for 90 days. All north and southbound Compton Avenue traffic will be rerouted to Jefferson Avenue until the project is completed.

ps -- not clear when Grand bridge will be shut down and demolished, possibly during conference play; whenever it happens, forget about it till 2012...

Road Closure Notice; this will certainly affect basketball traffic through the holidays...

Beginning Monday, the Compton Avenue bridge between Chouteau Avenue and Spruce Street is scheduled to close for 90 days. All north and southbound Compton Avenue traffic will be rerouted to Jefferson Avenue until the project is completed.

It IS hard being a Bills fan!

ps -- not clear when Grand bridge will be shut down and demolished, possibly during conference play; whenever it happens, forget about it till 2012...

It IS hard being a Bills fan!

I heard this news on the trolley tour at the Alumni Homecoming last weekend. My first return to SLU since 1964 when I graduated & left town. My CA. born wife was very impressed with the campus today. She would not have been back then. Her highlight was the Cupples house tour, mine was the VB win over X on Sunday. It was a great weekend since I also enjoyed my 50th SLUH reunion. I wonder what both places will look like in another 50 years?

Just looked at Google Maps to try to figure out which area exactly will be affected by this. Since Chaifetz opened I have been parking at the Sigma-Aldrich lot adjacent to their headquarters at Compton and Spruce. It's been very convenient. I'm thinking that the lot will remain accessible by taking Forest Park Parkway to Compton, then turning onto Spruce. Would that be correct?

I heard this news on the trolley tour at the Alumni Homecoming last weekend. My first return to SLU since 1964 when I graduated & left town. My CA. born wife was very impressed with the campus today. She would not have been back then. Her highlight was the Cupples house tour, mine was the VB win over X on Sunday. It was a great weekend since I also enjoyed my 50th SLUH reunion. I wonder what both places will look like in another 50 years?

my first look at the slu "campus" was 1965. you are absolutely correct, your wife would not have been impressed. it was hardly a campus. the major positive changes started with the coming of biondi. perhaps others will differ, but that is my recollection over the last 45 years

I do remember talk of expansion east of Grand in the early 60's when I was there. Urban Renewal of the Mill Creek Valley slums was taking place. President LBJ planted a tree where the Student Union now stands. I looked for the tree or at least a sign but all I saw was the big bush shaped like a Billiken out front. What really blew me away with envy for the current students was Simon Rec Center and the sand VB court and outdoor pool in front. The place looks more like a country club now. My only disapointment when I was there was not meeting John Cook at the business school centennial party. I sat next to him in Accounting 101 Freshman year. The Dean was very nice when I spoke to her. even when I mentioned how I hated accounting.

Supposedly the Compton Bridge will be closed for three months. And the Grand Bridge/Forest Pk. intersection will be out of commission for 18 months after the Compton Bridge project and I think some other minor road work is finished. I think it is safe to say once the Grand project is started it is going to be a royal mess getting around campus. Hopefully it will be much safer to get around once they're done especially for the pre-med/med school and rheinert students. I can't wait to see what it's like in about 2 years.

for the out-of towners and others not up to speed on the projects:

yes, compton precedes the Grand refurbishment. And Grand will be down at least a year and more likely 18 months. but it will wide Grand a lot, including sidewalks and bike lanes, and putting a permanent median in. And the train station will also be redone, and closed for the duration. It should be sparkling new and much more user friendly, and I also can't wait to see it. it's a miracle more people --including students-- are not killed, maimed, or mugged and/or assaulted/murdered, in the present conditions--Grand is one of the craziest and most unpredictable areas for drivers in the Midwest, I think.

ps -- traffic around campus is already pretty tight, esp. at drive times; with Grand closed it will be a furious mess. Frankly I am having trouble envisioning it but the 40 closure was really not as bad as I had thought.

all basketball fans will need to factor this into their drive times for the games. I have a "double secret" access from Tower Grove and will only reveal it to those who have some sort of quid pro quo in mind. otherwise don't even ask. I like expensive electronics and fine jewelry.

Doc, I'll also be coming from Tower Grove. I have kept in mind your 'double secret access' comments from when the Grand closure was first announced and have been attempting to create possible non-Grand, non-Compton routes ever since. I have a couple ideas, but I think we should carpool nonetheless.

funny thing is -- just drove over the bridge this morning! totally forgot my own message; nevertheless the bridge on Compton was definitely open -- although there was a huge electronic sign at Chouteau, announcing with a straight face that the bridge would close on the 4th. time TBA, I guess.

All.

Refresh my memory please. When did the Grand overpass get rebuilt last? Only 15 years ago? Recall that was when they put all the street lights (too many IMO) along the sides. When this work was done, the whole overpass taken down and rebuilt, right? Now, it will be done all over again, right?

All.

Refresh my memory please. When did the Grand overpass get rebuilt last? Only 15 years ago? Recall that was when they put all the street lights (too many IMO) along the sides. When this work was done, the whole overpass taken down and rebuilt, right? Now, it will be done all over again, right?

Could you be referring to the Kingshighway overpass that was totally rebuilt some years back? They added those fancy street lights that you could definitely see from a plane as it approached St. Louis, but those have been replaced by more energy efficient ones.

Could you be referring to the Kingshighway overpass that was totally rebuilt some years back? They added those fancy street lights that you could definitely see from a plane as it approached St. Louis, but those have been replaced by more energy efficient ones.

What a dumb design that was. Seems to me that with bridges through industrial zones, less is more. Make it functional, safe, and strong. Adding lights every 8 feet on that thing was so pointless when so few pedestrians use it; save those for heavily-walked boulevards.

Hopefully they learned some lessons from that one for the new Grand (looks like it) and Compton (hope so) bridges. And speaking of Kingshighway, they really need to rebuild the one between Shaw and Vandeventer/Southwest. Would it be impossible to bring that one down to street level?

Yes, you're right. Thanks.

funny thing is -- just drove over the bridge this morning! totally forgot my own message; nevertheless the bridge on Compton was definitely open -- although there was a huge electronic sign at Chouteau, announcing with a straight face that the bridge would close on the 4th. time TBA, I guess.

I crossed it in the morning then I was going back that way around 1 and it was shut down.

Apparently I wasnt paying attention because I could see it was shut down from the light at Broadway but for some reason I went right on through got all the way to the shut down section and thought to myself "WTF why didnt I turn back there?"