Andy Strickland Report

P.B.

I worked in Res Life during my time on campus. There were several students disciplined or expelled for having sex with another intoxicated student because intoxication, according to university rules, makes consent a non-factor, all the victim has to say is there would not have been consent if sober.

I hope this is not the case as this could be a great season but to think that the discipline board cannot expell a student that was never charged is a niave idea. I remember being told several times while on campus that normal rules do not apply that SLU was a private institution and could make their own.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in Res Life during my time on campus. There were several students disciplined or expelled for having sex with another intoxicated student because intoxication, according to university rules, makes consent a non-factor, all the victim has to say is there would not have been consent if sober.

that's a bull**** policy. sure, it's not cool to feed a chick drinks knowing that she wouldn't bone you otherwise, with the express intent to bone her once she goes numb. but if you're just walking along and a hot drunk chick says "hey, do me, i'm hammered, and I WANT IT.", you should do the responsible thing and bone her. it's not your fault if later she decides that she wouldn't have ridden the snake if not goofed up on goof juice.

I hope this is not the case as this could be a great season but to think that the discipline board cannot expell a student that was never charged is a niave idea. I remember being told several times while on campus that normal rules do not apply that SLU was a private institution and could make their own.

Not saying this is SLU's policy, I don't know SLU's tribunal/procedure, but any tribunal which treats consent as a non-factor is, IMO, a kangaroo court.

Not saying this is SLU's policy, I don't know SLU's tribunal/procedure, but any tribunal which treats consent as a non-factor is, IMO, a kangaroo court.

SLU court of appeals includes 3-4 students and then 1-2 faculty to moderate what actually goes down. the students are undergrads. the faculty is usually one of the 2-3 heads of student affairs. i do not want to knock these people but none of them are qualified. a friend of mine once asked what qualified someone to oversee his trial back during his freshman year and they said because they are pre-law scholar. no law classes just a gpa requirement to get into SLU Law upon graduation. if they want to get you in trouble they will, or vice versa.

SLU court of appeals includes 3-4 students and then 1-2 faculty to moderate what actually goes down. the students are undergrads. the faculty is usually one of the 2-3 heads of student affairs. i do not want to knock these people but none of them are qualified. a friend of mine once asked what qualified someone to oversee his trial back during his freshman year and they said because they are pre-law scholar. no law classes just a gpa requirement to get into SLU Law upon graduation. if they want to get you in trouble they will, or vice versa.

-is the slu court of appeals you mention the same thing as the student court?

Sort of like the Greek Court in Animal House. Let's just give the alleged offender double secret probation and end this matter.

"The issue here isn't whether we broke a few rules or took a few liberties with our female party guests. We did."

Strickland just reported that Niedermayer and Marmelard are trying the case, with Dean Wormer presiding.

Jeebus. Now this totally sounds like Animal House:

Otter: "Don't worry, I'm pre-law."

Hoover: "I thought you were pre-med."

Otter: "What's the difference?"

"The issue here isn't whether we broke a few rules or took a few liberties with our female party guests. We did."

Strickland just reported that Niedermayer and Marmelard are trying the case, with Dean Wormer presiding.

Where did he say this? Radio again?

Well then the obvious defense to this is the "I was drunk too."

Offsetting penalties. Replay the down.

I know nothing about this whole situation, but I know that these student/faculty courts are at least somewhat common. There was a Xavier player who had an incident on campus that prompted a short police investigation. The police quickly dismissed the charges against him (no criminal offense), but the Xavier student/faculty group deliberated over the fact that he broke the "student code" and they actually voted him out of school.

The rest of the story is hazy, but supposedly new evidence emerged and that ruling somehow was reversed. The original vote to kick the guy out of school was reported by the Cincinnati Enquirer beat reporter, and the Xavier fans turned on him like wild dogs. The decision was reversed, and I don't know any of the details of why that happened, but the UD fans who became aware of this situation love to play up the shadiness of the whole thing. I have no idea how much influence the athletic department had on the situation, but some Xavier students were very pissed off by the ruling reversal and planned demonstrations and protests at the basketball games. The university cracked down on that immediately and canceled them for what they said were "student safety concerns". Riiggghhht. That is the juiciest part of the whole story. Their own student paper reported on the battle between students and administration over the planned demonstrations.

I know some X fans who were close to the situation, and know a lot of details. One of them told me that the student/basketball player was only guilty of very, very poor judgement. But that is all I could get out of him.