OT: the NFL's process rule

Dungeon Yankee

I think this is a situation where the letter of the law was enforced rather than the spirit of the rule. I don't think that rule was put in place for plays like this. If 20 guys at a bar all think it was a catch, then it was a catch.

Ahh, but there's the rub. It was a catch according to the letter of the law. The law doesn't say anything about a process. That's something that probably came about in officials meetings.

Ahh, but there's the rub. It was a catch according to the letter of the law. The law doesn't say anything about a process. That's something that probably came about in officials meetings.

It was a catch, and I am a Bears fan.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/touchdown-disallowed-after-ref-drops-ball-handed-t,18104/

KANSAS CITY, MO—Chargers' tight end Antonio Gates' 3-yard touchdown reception against the Chiefs Monday was ruled incomplete after referee Doug Rosenbaum bobbled and dropped the ball handed to him by Gates. "The rule in question states, 'A referee must maintain possession through the entirety of the post-touchdown player-to-referee-exchange, and make a clear officiating move," NFL vice president of officiating Carl Johnson said at a press conference Tuesday. "Not only must the official signal a touchdown, receive the game ball, hold it, and twirl it around a little in his hands, but he must also take it home with him and keep it in his possession for at least three days. That is the only way a touchdown is officially recorded in the NFL." Johnson insisted the rules of the league must be upheld, because otherwise fans might actually be happy.