Cancun Tourney

While the field didn't turn out to be as good as we had hoped, or as good as it sounded like it might have initially been, aside from Texas State, all of the teams in the tournament were 121 or better in the RPI last season. As long as several of them don't drop down to the 200 range, they shouldn't be anchors on our SOS. Hopefully 1 of our 3 games is against Mississippi, as playing in the SEC will keep their RPI respectable as long as they don't finish in last place in the conference. All things considered, I'd prefer if we didn't have Texas State on our schedule, as they are the one 200+ RPI from last season in the field.

Did this mean it'll be broadcast on ESPNU. I've got comcast and never seen any channel for ESPN reg TV.

It means it is an ESPN produced entity but it may not be on any regular cable station (though it could be). ESPN will sell it to any one who wants to show it (like a St. Louis station or a regional sports channel that is NOT owned by a competitor). It does mean will be part of the ESPN Full Court so you should at least be able to watch it at a sports bar. It could very well be on ESPN 3 (the internets) as well.

Is this the tournament that is played in a ballroom? (There is one of these tournaments that seriously looks like it is played in a ballroom complete with chandelier).

That is the other. This one I believe is played at the Convention Center by the Riu.

Does anyone know about the on-going situation with the violence in Mexico? It seems like it is getting out of control and really might put a damper on American tourist travel into the region. I guess it's mostly in and around boarder towns, but this is scary. Hope we are lodging in a secure barrio.

Does anyone know about the on-going situation with the violence in Mexico? It seems like it is getting out of control and really might put a damper on American tourist travel into the region. I guess it's mostly in and around boarder towns, but this is scary. Hope we are lodging in a secure barrio.

Cancun is very safe. Have been numerous times. If you are familar with Cancun, the hotel zone (where I would think the team is staying) is on island (actually part of coral reef). It is quite safe on the island because they don't want to wreck the tourist image it has. Many high end luxury hotels are here. Your Marriott Resort, Princess, Ritz Carleton, Hyatt, etc..

Cancun is very safe. Have been numerous times. If you are familar with Cancun, the hotel zone (where I would think the team is staying) is on island (actually part of coral reef). It is quite safe on the island because they don't want to wreck the tourist image it has. Many high end luxury hotels are here. Your Marriott Resort, Princess, Ritz Carleton, Hyatt, etc..

I actually have not been to Cancun...more of a Cabo guy myself (can't help but to let loose with some Sammy Hagar now and then)...thinking about going on the Cancun trip if there is a travel package put together by the university...any news of that happening?

I actually have not been to Cancun...more of a Cabo guy myself (can't help but to let loose with some Sammy Hagar now and then)...thinking about going on the Cancun trip if there is a travel package put together by the university...any news of that happening?

Actually I been all over Mexico with my family and never had any problem. On my trips to Cancun many times we rented a car and visited the many of the Mayan ruins deep into the interior of the Yucatan. Love the city of Merida. When I go to Mexico City I try to make to San Miguel de Allende & Queretaro. The train from Mexico City is a neat way to visit those colonial towns. I do speak a little Spanish so that helps.

Now the border towns, I have not been in years.

Should be a great tourney, hope to make it myself.

Actually I been all over Mexico with my family and never had any problem. On my trips to Cancun many times we rented a car and visited the many of the Mayan ruins deep into the interior of the Yucatan. Love the city of Merida. When I go to Mexico City I try to make to San Miguel de Allende & Queretaro. The train from Mexico City is a neat way to visit those colonial towns. I do speak a little Spanish so that helps.

Now the border towns, I have not been in years.

Should be a great tourney, hope to make it myself.

I guess the border towns are not places we should be heading to...thank you for the tips, sir.