A-10 games set

This is from Tom Timmerman's blog:

SLU will play Dayton, Xavier and Duquesne twice, meaning they will be going into the two toughest places in the league to play (other than Chaifetz) and playing two of the toughest teams twice.

The team’s other road trips will be to Fordham, GW, Richmond, St. Bonaventure and Temple.

The team’s other home games will be Charlotte, La Salle, UMass, Rhode Island and St. Joe’s.

Looks like we play the top 4 teams on the road while Temple gets a joke of a pod.

This is from Tom Timmerman's blog:

SLU will play Dayton, Xavier and Duquesne twice, meaning they will be going into the two toughest places in the league to play (other than Chaifetz) and playing two of the toughest teams twice.

The team’s other road trips will be to Fordham, GW, Richmond, St. Bonaventure and Temple.

The team’s other home games will be Charlotte, La Salle, UMass, Rhode Island and St. Joe’s.

Looks like we play the top 4 teams on the road while Temple gets a joke of a pod.

We need to tough conference schedule (ie playing at X, UD, Richmond and Temple) to compensate for a weak non-con slate. I like it

We need to tough conference schedule (ie playing at X, UD, Richmond and Temple) to compensate for a weak non-con slate. I like it

I agree this will strengthen the SOS. If we can take 2 of those 4 tough road games we should be in decent shape.

Timmerman mentioned that teams could make requests for the teams they wanted in their pod, or they could request to play hard teams, easy teams, or a combination of the two. With Temple playing LaSalle, St. Joe's, and Fordham, it appears they might have asked for the 2 other Philly teams, which is understandable, then also got Fordham. Who knows if they requested Fordham or they just got them.

I think someone mentioned in the Majerus radio thread yesterday that the other A-10 teams might not be too happy with the conference giving us our requested schedule, but it appears that every team had an option to request certain opponents.

I agree this will strengthen the SOS. If we can take 2 of those 4 tough road games we should be in decent shape.

If we win two of those 4, and those teams are as good as projected, we should be in awesome shape if our home record is anything like it was last year. it is HUGE that we only have to play Fordham once

2 of 4 would be great, but not necessary. Win the games at home and find a way to win 4 on the road and we are golden.

If our non-con schedule sucks we need to win a large number of those games (12 of 14 or so). If you go 12-2 in non-con and 11-5 or 12-4 in conference we'll be sitting at 23-7 or 24-6 and will be making travel plans on selection Sunday. Its that simple.

Timmerman mentioned that teams could make requests for the teams they wanted in their pod, or they could request to play hard teams, easy teams, or a combination of the two. With Temple playing LaSalle, St. Joe's, and Fordham, it appears they might have asked for the 2 other Philly teams, which is understandable, then also got Fordham. Who knows if they requested Fordham or they just got them.

I think someone mentioned in the Majerus radio thread yesterday that the other A-10 teams might not be too happy with the conference giving us our requested schedule, but it appears that every team had an option to request certain opponents.

Who knows. Maybe all the complaining RM did about the A-10 actually got us a voice? Maybe some teams had no desire to play Xavier twice. All of the pods seem to be fairly regional in nature (I'm sure there are exceptions) so maybe the A-10 decided to focus on regional rivalries.

I'd also like to think that with the expectations being higher on SLU next year, one or two of these match-ups will be chosen by ESPN for their few A-10 programming slots and the conference was smart enough to give us multiple games with the top of the league.

Temple can take the weaker conference games. They load up their SOS in the OOC. They played seven top 100 teams and seven BCS teams last year in the OOC part of the schedule.

Temole can take the weaker conference games. They load up their SOS in the OOC. They played seven top 100 teams and seven BCS teams last year in the OOC part of the schedule.

The schedule of a school like Temple makes me wonder why SLU cannot get similar games.

From things I have read in the past, it seems that Dayton and X also prefer to play us twice each year so this is a tough conf schedule but overall a good thing for us.

I would wonder if there was a discussion amongst the University presidents. How do we put our Universities in the best position for the coming conferences changes. Keep you program strong, keep your schedule strong, build natural rivals......

Dayton, Xavier and SLU have so much in common they need to stick together. I love that we get to see X and Dayton at home again. The home schedule does not have a bad game with the possible exception of UMASS. I just hope we can improve the non-conference schedule somewhat although from from we have heard that might be tough.

I think the pods were also meant to help cut down on travel costs (though it's obvious that regardless of who we play, SLU will have one of the larger travel expense sums). I know that the NCAA has been encouraging that, and notice that we are playing the three western-most teams in our conference.

In any case, I'm liking the home-home with XU and UD. I also like that we have Duquesne in our pod, because I think we can get two solid wins over them. With XU and UD, we may go 4-0 or 0-4.

I just want to add that RI and Charlotte are still going to be tough and the Fordham game is on the road, so SLUs home versus road schedules look pretty even to me. Happy about our Pod.

I imagine the other teams are also happy not to play us twice because of the travel time for them also.

From things I have read in the past, it seems that Dayton and X also prefer to play us twice each year so this is a tough conf schedule but overall a good thing for us.

I prefer to play SLU home and home.

1. There's no reason they shouldn't (UD, X, and SLU are the three closest "western schools").

2. I enjoy my trips to SLU and I'm anxious to check out the arena.

I would wonder if there was a discussion amongst the University presidents. How do we put our Universities in the best position for the coming conferences changes. Keep you program strong, keep your schedule strong, build natural rivals......

Dayton, Xavier and SLU have so much in common they need to stick together. I love that we get to see X and Dayton at home again. The home schedule does not have a bad game with the possible exception of UMASS. I just hope we can improve the non-conference schedule somewhat although from from we have heard that might be tough.

To think the A10 gives a f*ck about how we position overselves preparing for the reallignment is idiotic. I know you didn't directly say that, but as far as scheduling goes the A10 is in charge. I'd say it was done more from a money stand point than anything else. I also believe Majerus throwing a fit and claiming we should leave for the MVC could have played a minor role, but that may be a stretch.