Great Midwest

bk18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Midwest_Conference

When Box and Won brought up the idea of the Great Midwest Conference, I think this is the most likely solution (long term). It might not happen this year, but it might be an "aftershock" in the summer of 2011 to this summer's big changes. There's no reason for 10 schools in the midwest of fairly close academic and athletic caliber to fly out to the east coast for all their games.

We all know that Majerus isn't a fan of playing out east and flying over there all the time - He even suggested moving to the MVC as we all know. I doubt any other coaches or players enjoy having to travel so much either. We don't belong in a conference centered around Philadelphia.

Looking around, the midwest lacks a lot of competitive private schools unfortunately and instead is home to the big state schools.

I've listed everyone that might be considered for this option. Please post who you think will be in this conference if it were to reform?

Marquette

SLU

Dayton

DePaul

Xavier

Butler

Belmont

Creighton

Drake

Bradley

Charlotte

Detroit

UW-Milwaukee

SIUC

Missouri St.

I have a feeling this conference will happen next year as an "aftershock" to the big changes that will come this year. My predictions on its members:

Marquette

SLU

Dayton

DePaul

Xavier

Butler

Belmont

Creighton

Drake

Bradley

Charlotte (temporary - 2 yrs or until football program is established)

I have a feeling this conference will happen next year as an "aftershock" to the big changes that will come this year. My predictions on its members:

Marquette

SLU

Dayton

DePaul

Xavier

Butler

Belmont

Creighton

Drake

Bradley

Charlotte (temporary - 2 yrs or until football program is established)

I hope not... I see X, SLU, and UD carrying that league financially. That's not a good deal.

The lineup in our waning days in the MCC was actually pretty decent:

SLU

Butler

Dayton

Detroit

Evansville

Loyola Chicago

Marquette

Xavier

Switch out DePaul for Loyola and maybe Creighton for Evansville and you've got a nice lineup.

The lineup in our waning days in the MCC was actually pretty decent:

SLU

Butler

Dayton

Detroit

Evansville

Loyola Chicago

Marquette

Xavier

Switch out DePaul for Loyola and maybe Creighton for Evansville and you've got a nice lineup.

I just don't see that as a conference that anyone will pay attention to though. The A-10 gets some benefit from being in those East-Coast markets, media wise.

I hope not... I see X, SLU, and UD carrying that league financially. That's not a good deal.

My guess is Marquette, Butler, Creighton, and Bradley all do fine financially.

More seriously however, the always talked about All Catholic/Private league is the only good thing for SLU that can come out of a major blow up of the current conference format. Anything else would not have the same benefits of the A-10.

My guess is Marquette, Butler, Creighton, and Bradley all do fine financially.

More seriously however, the always talked about All Catholic/Private league is the only good thing for SLU that can come out of a major blow up of the current conference format. Anything else would not have the same benefits of the A-10.

I'll grant you Marquette. I'm not sure about Butler, Creighton, or Bradley (though I truthfully don't know much about Bradley).

I just haven't seen any proposal for a new league that is more beneficial than the Atlantic 10 for the schools involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Midwest_Conference

When Box and Won brought up the idea of the Great Midwest Conference, I think this is the most likely solution (long term). It might not happen this year, but it might be an "aftershock" in the summer of 2011 to this summer's big changes. There's no reason for 10 schools in the midwest of fairly close academic and athletic caliber to fly out to the east coast for all their games.

We all know that Majerus isn't a fan of playing out east and flying over there all the time - He even suggested moving to the MVC as we all know. I doubt any other coaches or players enjoy having to travel so much either. We don't belong in a conference centered around Philadelphia.

Looking around, the midwest lacks a lot of competitive private schools unfortunately and instead is home to the big state schools.

I've listed everyone that might be considered for this option. Please post who you think will be in this conference if it were to reform?

Marquette

SLU

Dayton

DePaul

Xavier

Butler

Belmont

Creighton

Drake

Bradley

Charlotte

Detroit

UW-Milwaukee

SIUC

Missouri St.

bk18.

I take issue with the midwest lacks alot of competitive midwest school... We have our share. The problem is that many are already in other conferences and have other allegiances and interests. SLU could be in a conference with Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, X, UD plus Bradley, Evansville.... While in a better conference and having the benefits of the East Coast media, schools like Fordham, LaSalle and St. Bona .... are really no better than Detroit and Chicago Loyola, which if given the chance to compete with the likes of Marquette, X and others each year would naturally improve.

Also, SLU really doesn't need to be in a conference of ALL private schools. While there is the obvious benefit and equality of funds as compared to the large state schools, there is nothing wrong with being in a conference with state schools. The Big has Pitt, UConn, Louisville, Cincy, W VA... The problem is more that these schools want football. Catholic schools like Boston College and Notre Dame (with strong football) are much closer to the interests and desires of the large state schools than basketball only private schools like SLU.

I'll grant you Marquette. I'm not sure about Butler, Creighton, or Bradley (though I truthfully don't know much about Bradley).

I just haven't seen any proposal for a new league that is more beneficial than the Atlantic 10 for the schools involved.

I am speaking purely basketball, all three schools have serious commitments to their programs. Creighton is top 15 in attendance every year and pays their coach in excess of 1 mil. their finances are OK. Butler's new contract to their coach shows that they are willing to take the next step and make a larger commitment to basketball and the money coming in from this years final four will be a huge boost. I hate Bradley so I won't say anything complimenting them but they will spend the money it seems.

I will be the first to admit that I have no idea as to their commitments to other sports.

I agree 100% to the bolded statement.

I am speaking purely basketball, all three schools have serious commitments to their programs. Creighton is top 15 in attendance every year and pays their coach in excess of 1 mil. their finances are OK. Butler's new contract to their coach shows that they are willing to take the next step and make a larger commitment to basketball and the money coming in from this years final four will be a huge boost. I hate Bradley so I won't say anything complimenting them but they will spend the money it seems.

I will be the first to admit that I have no idea as to their commitments to other sports.

I agree 100% to the bolded statement.

Current A10 plus Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Bradley would be a great conference; we are not a fit with SIUC, MO State, and Evansville is not worth the drive and would kill us RPI if we lost to them, ever. If we

had to steal a MVC team Creighton is the most natural but a bear for others to travel to

Current A10 plus Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Bradley would be a great conference; we are not a fit with SIUC, MO State, and Evansville is not worth the drive and would kill us RPI if we lost to them, ever. If we

had to steal a MVC team Creighton is the most natural but a bear for others to travel to

I whole heartedly agree. SIU, Mo State, Illinois State and UNI all take football very seriously and if the whole conference situation blows up, their decisions will be as much about football as it is basketball. Butler, while a private school, also has a decent football program, they may be a better fit for a new MVC if the dominos start to fall.

Creighton and Bradley would fit perfectly with SLU if an all basketball conference was formed.

The best for all schools involved is for nothing to happen although I think it may be too late for that.

I whole heartedly agree. SIU, Mo State, Illinois State and UNI all take football very seriously and if the whole conference situation blows up, their decisions will be as much about football as it is basketball. Butler, while a private school, also has a decent football program, they may be a better fit for a new MVC if the dominos start to fall.

Creighton and Bradley would fit perfectly with SLU if an all basketball conference was formed.

The best for all schools involved is for nothing to happen although I think it may be too late for that.

I sure do hope we put the SIU-C team back on a home and away schedule; it is a good local kids rivalry

but we don't need to be in the same league to do that.

Andy Katz has a current article on things over at ESPn. Find it at:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...big-ten-targets

About th emost ingenious statemen tin all this specualtion is this one: "There's no reason to pretend that this is a basketball decision. It's not. It's about football first, which means dollars more than anything else. Travel issues are a concern but academic compatibility for the Big Ten, maybe more so than any other major conference, is a primary issue."

Football is king. That is the only way this breaks. Notre Dame is the linchpin. It fits academically and geogrpahically with the Big Ten. The problem at the Golden Dome is that they are still clinging to the steadfast belief that the phoenix will rise from the ashes and their footbsall program will be dominant once again. Not likely IMO. Their relevance as an independent is questionable right now and fading. Same with the "champ-peens' of both the Big east and ACC football leagues. As a basketball playing school, Notre Dame is irrelevant as well. Notre Dame totally to the Big east for football won't happen --- you can get in with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa or go into bed with Syracuse, Uconn, West Virginia and South Florida and Rutgers? I know who'd I pick if I was deciding on that one.

Don't believe I'd go as far out of the box as Katz is suggesting someone saying Maryland, Georgia Tech and Vandy to the Big Ten. Maryland's football is on life support, Friedgen might not make it through the year. Pitt makes better sense as does Nebraksa. Not to sutre about Mizzou. Speaking of geography -- you get Notre Dame in and that busts teh Big Ten out of a region and into the natioal presence --- isn't Notre Dame the football goddess for all cathloics nationwide???

Of all the schools that are like us -- like minded ---- I'd offer this list: Seton Hall, St. Bonaventure, George Washington, St. Joe's, Niagara, Canisius, Xavier, Marquette, DePaul, Bradley, Creighton, St. John's, Providence, Drexel, George Mason, Detroit, Loyola(IL), Iona, Loyola (MD), Marist, Sienna, St. Peters, Drake, and maybe you cxount Butler and Dayton and Duquesne and georgetown but they do play Division IAA football. Maybe some of these schools (Villanova) upgrade football ala Uconn. I don't know, its all speculation.

If i were in there, I'd be working the phones seeing who's got similar aspirations and needs. If football is indeed king, and I agree it is, trhese mega-conferences, liek the Big Atlantic or whatever it is, are not going to be dragging the Marqueets and DePauls and Seton Hall sof the world along to make a conference even more unwieldy.

Andy Katz has a current article on things over at ESPn. Find it at:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball...big-ten-targets

About th emost ingenious statemen tin all this specualtion is this one: "There's no reason to pretend that this is a basketball decision. It's not. It's about football first, which means dollars more than anything else. Travel issues are a concern but academic compatibility for the Big Ten, maybe more so than any other major conference, is a primary issue."

Football is king. That is the only way this breaks. Notre Dame is the linchpin. It fits academically and geogrpahically with the Big Ten. The problem at the Golden Dome is that they are still clinging to the steadfast belief that the phoenix will rise from the ashes and their footbsall program will be dominant once again. Not likely IMO. Their relevance as an independent is questionable right now and fading. Same with the "champ-peens' of both the Big east and ACC football leagues. As a basketball playing school, Notre Dame is irrelevant as well. Notre Dame totally to the Big east for football won't happen --- you can get in with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa or go into bed with Syracuse, Uconn, West Virginia and South Florida and Rutgers? I know who'd I pick if I was deciding on that one.

Don't believe I'd go as far out of the box as Katz is suggesting someone saying Maryland, Georgia Tech and Vandy to the Big Ten. Maryland's football is on life support, Friedgen might not make it through the year. Pitt makes better sense as does Nebraksa. Not to sutre about Mizzou. Speaking of geography -- you get Notre Dame in and that busts teh Big Ten out of a region and into the natioal presence --- isn't Notre Dame the football goddess for all cathloics nationwide???

Of all the schools that are like us -- like minded ---- I'd offer this list: Seton Hall, St. Bonaventure, George Washington, St. Joe's, Niagara, Canisius, Xavier, Marquette, DePaul, Bradley, Creighton, St. John's, Providence, Drexel, George Mason, Detroit, Loyola(IL), Iona, Loyola (MD), Marist, Sienna, St. Peters, Drake, and maybe you cxount Butler and Dayton and Duquesne and georgetown but they do play Division IAA football. Maybe some of these schools (Villanova) upgrade football ala Uconn. I don't know, its all speculation.

If i were in there, I'd be working the phones seeing who's got similar aspirations and needs. If football is indeed king, and I agree it is, trhese mega-conferences, liek the Big Atlantic or whatever it is, are not going to be dragging the Marqueets and DePauls and Seton Hall sof the world along to make a conference even more unwieldy.

Everything seems to hinge on Notre Dame. Really, Notre Dame should be in the Big Ten IMO. However, there are old wounds of Big Ten long ago rejection of Notre Dame and Notre Dame more recent rejection of the Big Ten. Notre Dame alumni are said to be in favor of maintaining Independent status in football. It seems that Notre Dame sees itself as an East Coast school in the Indiana cornfields.

Academically, although Notre Dame is ranked #20 in the US News & World Report college rankings and is the highest ranked Catholic school, Notre Dame is not a member of the Association of American Universities, of which all Big Ten schools are members, and of which Mizzou, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Pittsburgh are all members. That AAU is said to be of some importance to the Big Ten. But frankly, AAU membership would be deep sixed as any criterion to get ND to join the Big Ten IMO.

If ND joins the Big Ten, the Big Ten could stop at 12. It would have its 12 schools for a football playoff game. It would only have to divide the TV revenue one more way. But the Big Ten may also be looking at Mizzou to bring the Missouri markets, where the Big Ten Network, per 810 AM in Kansas City, is offfered on basic cable to very few of over 7 million residents living in Missouri TV markets. Academically, though ranked #102 overall by US News & World Report, Mizzou is in that AAU and has a nationally known and respected Journalism school. Mizzou football and basketball are both competitive, and Mizzou has good facilities. And, of course, Missouri borders both Illinois and Iowa.

Nebraska would bring a very strong football tradition, and is ranked #96 (ironically tied with Kansas, among others) by US New & World Report. Rutgers, to an extent, would bring the mega-New York City market.

so you want an 18-team league?