OT - NFL Draft

Carriker may be a good player but he can't play in our system. He is a DL in a 3-4 scheme. He has no position in our scheme. He's too small to play tackle and not fast enough to play end. It was a horrible draft pick by us. The rest of the league knows he is a huge mistake and wouldn't have given us anything for him. Trading him was better than cutting him. Don't blame Devaney, blame the guys who drafted before he got here.

I'm lukewarm on the Rams draft. I think we got boxed in on Bradford. I think he'll be good but if we hadn't taken him I'm not sure if was a top 20 pick. Another tackle and corner is fine, we have to get rid of Barron he is horrible and our corners are bad. Still WR is such a glaring need. Gilyard is talented but we should have got someone higher. Would have liked us to try to trade our 2nd rounder to get late in the first to maybe take Bryant. It doesn't look like we made any horrible reaches or got any players who are headcases so that is a step in the right direction.

I can't believe Oakland didn't at least draft one player from the California Penal League. Maybe Al Davis is dead and they just haven't told anybody yet. He certainly wasn't running their draft this year.

You may be right about Carriker but shouldn't #1 draft choices be good enough athletes/football players to play in different systems. Certainly, they should be able to play and compete with on the Rams who might just have the least talented defense in the entire NFL. He was injured all of last year. I hope the are certain he cannot play for the Rams. The current staff did not recruit him and cannot be held responsible. The current staff, though, gave up on him, traded him for better 5th round and a worse 7th round pick. If Carriker can play in a different scheme (4-3 v. 3-4), then shouldn't our current staff be able to get a little more for him? Shouldn't our current staff say they released him for money reasons, etc. and not b/c of our great depth on the D-line?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rams got George Selvie in the last round. He was the Big East Defensive player of the year a couple of years ago. Frankly I'm surprised he hasn't gone earlier than he went.

With him being an All-American in 2007, something tells me he was probably double teamed constantly the last two years, and Pierre-Paul was the beneficiary of that. Could be a real steal.

Everytime you turn on ESPN for the last month it has been draft coverage and finally it is here. Just wanted to take a gauge of what everyone thought of their team's first rounds.

Dolphins fan-I really liked what they did. Traded #12 down for another pick at #40 and #28 and a reserve LB Robbins. I like the safe pick on the d-line with Odrick.

I would like to see a playmaker on D with the #40 pick so we shall see.

Thoughts?

Dolphins did well. Tough division though but they are looking strong. If you talk about the entire off-season you gotta love giving Henne a top WR.

As a JETS fan though, I love our off-season. Not crazy about dealing Leon and releasing Faneca, but those were financial deals so that they can ultimately resign Mangold and D'Brickashaw. Rumor has it that they will release Shaun Ellis as well at some point. But hey the best D in the game just added Cromartie, Wilson (solid CB rookie), Taylor (thanks Miami...he will get 11+ sacks in a Rex Ryan Defense), Santonio, Tomlinson, and more. And they will also have Jenkins back from injury. So that D will be able to hold WR's and attack that qb. If the Jets win, they won't have the "chemistry" issues that people worry about. Winning solves that.

Dolphins did well. Tough division though but they are looking strong. If you talk about the entire off-season you gotta love giving Henne a top WR.

As a JETS fan though, I love our off-season. Not crazy about dealing Leon and releasing Faneca, but those were financial deals so that they can ultimately resign Mangold and D'Brickashaw. Rumor has it that they will release Shaun Ellis as well at some point. But hey the best D in the game just added Cromartie, Wilson (solid CB rookie), Taylor (thanks Miami...he will get 11+ sacks in a Rex Ryan Defense), Santonio, Tomlinson, and more. And they will also have Jenkins back from injury. So that D will be able to hold WR's and attack that qb. If the Jets win, they won't have the "chemistry" issues that people worry about. Winning solves that.

Sorry BillyKen but we can't be friends. jk Growing up in S FLA I have plenty of friends that are Jets fans. I can't say I like them very much during football season though.

The Dolphins draft was very boring which I guess is typical Tuna. I would like to have seen a pick for a RB later in the draft as it seems they are shoppong Brown. It is unlikely he will go anywhere or anyone would really want him coming off another injury. I really like the Marshall pick up if he can stay outta trouble. I think Henne has a ton of potential and is really going to benefit from an experience WR. The Fins secondary has another year of experience but still need a safety. It should be interesting to watch them. I say they go 9-7 this year and miss the playoffs.

As for the Jets, I think they are going to be great on D once again. I am saddened by the JT thing but I think his best years are behind him. I have to shred his jersey now. I am still not sold on Sanchez although they surrounded him with even more weapons this year. They should have a great year if he doesn't make too many mistakes.

The division should be one of the best in football if not the best. They should get 2 teams in the playoffs and I can see the Jets and Pats being it. I can't wait for the day when Brady isn't under center for NE.

Mardy Gilliard from Cincinnati in the fourth round. I like it. He's a playmaker.

I absolutely love the Gilyard pick. I'm completely biased because I saw UC play so much this year since I live in that neighborhood, but man, he's a top-flight athlete, a spark plug for the offense, and a resilient kid who always plays like he has something to prove. He's been told he's too small at every level and has proven people wrong at every level. His story is really cool if not everyone has read Nate's link above or the short feature on him in the P-D.

He was second in college football last year in all-purpose yards and might have been the best kick returner out there, with 2 kickoff TDs in each of his past 2 seasons and a punt TD this past year, as well. He looks like a threat to return one to the house every time he receives a kick.

Watching him call out Brian Kelly to a group of reporters the night of UC's football banquet (a couple hours after Kelly took the ND job) was pretty satisfying, since selfish scumbag Kelly ruined not only their banquet but any hopes of giving Florida a game and finishing a perfect season.

For what it's worth, the Rams had him as their 4th or 5th receiver on the board and he went 13th for the position. Awesome value.