Story on Porter Moser from GB Press-Gazette

Guest BillikenReport

Personally, I think he is using it as leverage. At least I hope so. I think we all know that he would love to be the coach at SLU and he knows he won't have to wait that long to be the coach here. However, I could be wrong and he could jump ship...I hope not. Maybe there are other reasons we are unaware of.

I am a little worried that he will be offered the job. He is a great asset to the program and does well as the PR guy representing the coaching staff.

I think he will have to think long and hard about taking the job. Hopefully the job pays like crap!

I am a little worried that he will be offered the job. He is a great asset to the program and does well as the PR guy representing the coaching staff.

I think he will have to think long and hard about taking the job. Hopefully the job pays like crap!

Salary aside, PM has a much better chance of improving his resume by being a HC just about anywhere than being RM's assistant. Say for example we do something special next year like make it to the sweet 16, PM's still going to be looked at as only a top AC. That will still only get him mid major interest. Now say he goes to UWGB and they make the dance or go to the NIT for a couple of years. Then he's got some BCS'ers giving him a look see. You can't fault PM for wanting a HC job. The question is even if we were to give him a guarantee would that be enough to keep him? UWGB could be a stepping stone job to a major HC.

Salary aside, PM has a much better chance of improving his resume by being a HC just about anywhere than being RM's assistant. Say for example we do something special next year like make it to the sweet 16, PM's still going to be looked at as only a top AC. That will still only get him mid major interest. Now say he goes to UWGB and they make the dance or go to the NIT for a couple of years. Then he's got some BCS'ers giving him a look see. You can't fault PM for wanting a HC job. The question is even if we were to give him a guarantee would that be enough to keep him? UWGB could be a stepping stone job to a major HC.

I believe I read that UWGB's last head coach received a $133,000 salary.

When was the last time you saw an Atlantic-ten assistant accept a job at a big-time school. Keep in mind we almost lost to Wisconsin Green-Bay this year, at home. It is not a big time job, but it is a head coaching job and that is hard for anyone to pass up. And I wouldn't underestimate the amount of work Porter does to make this team go.

Yes, but how many A-10 schools pay their coach $1 million? Only SLU. How many A10 schools have a HOF coach? Only SLU. After RM eventually leaves SLU, we may go back to our penny-pinching ways. Until then, our current situation at SLU (high paid/big name HC and well-paid assistant coaches - PM was a former D1 HC and Biancardi lead Wright State) is closer to that of a BCS school than of the other A10 schools.

we may go back to our penny-pinching ways. Until then, our current situation at SLU (high paid/big name HC and well-paid assistant coaches - PM was a former D1 HC and Biancardi lead Wright State) is closer to that of a BCS school than of the other A10 schools.

I think it depends on how we do until RM's gig is up. If the trend continues up, NCAA invites and $$'s, attendance averages 10,000 , we get some national TV exposure, see an increase in student apps, etc. then we continue to spend competitively for a HC. Maybe not in the 7 figures, but still be one of the highest paying jobs in the A-10. Personally, I hope we don't get another "legend" after RM departs. There aren't that many of them around and they'll all likely have a stigma attached to them. RM's doing what he was hired to do, bring us back to respectability and lift us out of mediocrity. Yeah, he's a strange one who's about as politically correct as a drunked up Viking, but he's done it the right way by bringing in talented kids who are real students. This vs the Calipari approach, which makes a mockery of the term student athlete. By the way, anyone think Wall and Cousins are attending their basket weaving classes today? I'd really like to see us latch onto a young guy, say early 40s, who's got an interest in staying at SLU for the long term and doesn't see it as a stepping stone job ala Romar. I kind of picture PM as being that type of guy, but if not him, then let's hope for someone else.

• 10 years later...

Until we understand the importance of building a university the basketball team can be proud of, our priorities will never be in the right place.