Story on Porter Moser from GB Press-Gazette

Guest BillikenReport

Big feature on Porter Moser today in Green Bay paper:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/articl...25/1227/GPG0201

Ok, so two things stand out for me. First off, with all the BS in college sports and coaches leaving all over the place....what could possibly be preventing SLU from giving Porter a fresh contract?! Sign the guy...name him the associate head coach. WTF??

Also, why does Rick say "but I would think that'd be the way a lot of the significant players (at SLU) want to go, and it's the way I would want it to go." Why does what anybody on the roster thinks mean a single thing right now? That concerns me more than anything. Other than the freshman coming in, Rick SHOULD be around to see the entire team graduate...assuming he plays out his contract. I feel like i've read things here and there recently that lead me to believe Rick may not be around as long as originally thought.

Ok, so two things stand out for me. First off, with all the BS in college sports and coaches leaving all over the place....what could possibly be preventing SLU from giving Porter a fresh contract?! Sign the guy...name him the associate head coach. WTF??

Also, why does Rick say "but I would think that'd be the way a lot of the significant players (at SLU) want to go, and it's the way I would want it to go." Why does what anybody on the roster thinks mean a single thing right now? That concerns me more than anything. Other than the freshman coming in, Rick SHOULD be around to see the entire team graduate...assuming he plays out his contract. I feel like i've read things here and there recently that lead me to believe Rick may not be around as long as originally thought.

I don't read that RM thinks he won't be there. I think he's just infering that the players like and respect Porter. I think it has some value, but the players also wanted UB. I hope we get it done, but I doubt we will. Maybe the Biondi thinks Porter can go to UWGB and he gets the chance to see what he can do the 2nd time around. If Porter is really the guy we want, maybe we get him back anyway.

I read it as Rick meant players as in administration types...? Maybe I was wrong with that interpretation, but I didn't think Rick would group players into significant and insignificant?

I read it as Rick meant players as in administration types...? Maybe I was wrong with that interpretation, but I didn't think Rick would group players into significant and insignificant?

I think you're right about what he meant by players. Calling Dr. C to the rescue. The real issue though is Fr. B... I'm really beginning to think he's totally out of touch when it comes to what a really good program can do for SLU. I hate the cliche "no brainer" but do like the cliche "why reinvent the wheel." Git 'er done, SLU.

I read it this way as well.

I'm firmly in the camp that wants to see PM named as the successor. The guy can recruit, he's media and fan friendly, he's learning under RM, and he just seems like a good guy (i'm sure someone will tell me about the skeletons in the closet). I like the stability it would add to the program and I would imagine that PM would only get more authority and better coaching experience under RM if PM is named as the successor (e.g. PM would be given more of the gameplan to craft, in game decision making, etc.).

Yes, there could be issues with naming PM as the successor now, but I think the cost/benefit justifies it.

I have to come to Fr.'s defense when it comes to us questioning his commitment to basketball. Did he not hire a million dollar Coach and build a beautiful new arena? i agree that he can be a little slow getting up to speed on some issues, but lets cease in our claims that Fr. is completely out of touch when it comes to our basketball program.

After all of my years of dissent with the church, it feels weird to defend a priest ;)

I have to come to Fr.'s defense when it comes to us questioning his commitment to basketball. Did he not hire a million dollar Coach and build a beautiful new arena? i agree that he can be a little slow getting up to speed on some issues, but lets cease in our claims that Fr. is completely out of touch when it comes to our basketball program.

After all of my years of dissent with the church, it feels weird to defend a priest ;)

Drew, not saying he's not committed, just that sometimes he doesn't understand what's fully involved. This PM thing has me scratching my head for three reasons. First, maybe PM gets a raise at UWGB, but from what's been said UWGB's pretty tight so it's probably not gonna be hard to match it. Second, RM has come out and said, "hey this guy's good you want to keep him." And who knows when he may have to step down because of health concerns. PM knows he's only one heartbeat away from the hot seat here. Third, next year's looking almost too good to be true, why risk it by losing a key player in the program's rise? Unless there is something we don't know that the powers that really be feel PM ain't the man for the future HC, I just don't get the reluctance to give him some sort of short term guarantee, say two years, after RM leaves.

Drew, not saying he's not committed, just that sometimes he doesn't understand what's fully involved. This PM thing has me scratching my head for three reasons. First, maybe PM gets a raise at UWGB, but from what's been said UWGB's pretty tight so it's probably not gonna be hard to match it. Second, RM has come out and said, "hey this guy's good you want to keep him." And who knows when he may have to step down because of health concerns. PM knows he's only one heartbeat away from the hot seat here. Third, next year's looking almost too good to be true, why risk it by losing a key player in the program's rise? Unless there is something we don't know that the powers that really be feel PM ain't the man for the future HC, I just don't get the reluctance to give him some sort of short term guarantee, say two years, after RM leaves.

I read one of the articles that said the former coach was getting paid between 125-140k a year. That isn't a stretch at all for a bigtime assistant coach. Get it done.

The only thing I can figure is, there must be something to this that we just aren't privy to.

RM's comments about PM have been very PC and glowingly positive and I have no reason to doubt any of them for even an instant, but...perhaps there is something going on behind the scenes. Who knows? I for one do not. I truly hope PM is our next head coach, but he may not want it for some reason??...or??? He may just truly be ready to be HC again, NOW. This may just be a ploy to get a raise--can you blame him? He may not get along with someone in the program. He may have made the Rammer mad in one of post game interviews and the Rammer is running him out of town. Again, all of this is total speculation without knowing anything more.

Again, I don't know why they don't wrap him up contractually, but there may be rules or even laws that prevent it. I have no idea. There is however, SOMETHING, but we don't know what it is. I hope it is nothing of consequence and it is just a silly rule or something and he rides out his time as Associate Head Coach.

Here's hoping he stays a member of the Billiken family for a long, long time.

Ideally I would also be in favor of having Porter be the successor, but there are a few reasons why I don't think this would be the worst thing in the world. Forutnately, we don't have any urgent recruiting needs for a while, so the timing would not be bad. This would give a new assistant plenty of time to get established. Also, I feel confident that RM has a lot of contacts that he will be able to attract somebody very good. I was worried when we lost Biancardi, but Harriman has proven to be a very valuable replacement.

Also, just because Porter goes to UWGB to be head coach doesn't mean that he couldn't come back here as head coach in the future. In all the interviews I heard from RM in Feb. and March, he seemed really fired up about the future. We all expect the next two years to be very good. After that, if he is feeling good and the future looks bright, maybe RM wants to continue for 2 or 3 more. That would be a long time for Porter to wait around before taking over as a head coach.

If this program is going to have success, our assistants will be in demand, so we need to get used to it. With the exception of Randy Bennett, how many SLU assitants from the recent past have really advanced? They seemed to either make lateral moves, moves to a lesser program or even drop to high school. We want our assistants to do well and if they do, some will move on.

Ideally I would also be in favor of having Porter be the successor, but there are a few reasons why I don't think this would be the worst thing in the world. Forutnately, we don't have any urgent recruiting needs for a while, so the timing would not be bad. This would give a new assistant plenty of time to get established. Also, I feel confident that RM has a lot of contacts that he will be able to attract somebody very good. I was worried when we lost Biancardi, but Harriman has proven to be a very valuable replacement.

Also, just because Porter goes to UWGB to be head coach doesn't mean that he couldn't come back here as head coach in the future. In all the interviews I heard from RM in Feb. and March, he seemed really fired up about the future. We all expect the next two years to be very good. After that, if he is feeling good and the future looks bright, maybe RM wants to continue for 2 or 3 more. That would be a long time for Porter to wait around before taking over as a head coach.

If this program is going to have success, our assistants will be in demand, so we need to get used to it. With the exception of Randy Bennett, how many SLU assitants from the recent past have really advanced? They seemed to either make lateral moves, moves to a lesser program or even drop to high school. We want our assistants to do well and if they do, some will move on.

Excellent post. I especially like the idea that RM decides to stick around a few more years than anticipated. Again, good points throughout, we may be in the running in couple of years for many top-notch coaches. However, I like the idea of hiring someone who helped build the program getting the reigns. I guess that is the price of success.

I am not a fan of the coach in waiting plan. If Porter leaves we will survive. X has never named a coach in waiting, but have somehow been able to thrive for over two decades.

You know that Moser and Rammer are step brothers, right? Think Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly.

You might want to go into hiding for a bit.

I suspect "significant players" means boosters and athletic department employees, not athletes on the basketball team.

After all of my years of dissent with the church, it feels weird to defend a priest :)

Yes, but he apparently has also taken away promised charter flights for no reason other than power play.

Guys. If Porter is so good and is deserving of being our next coach, then why on earth would he take the Green Bay job? What career path move would that be? Count me in the camp that all he has to do is sit on the end of our bench, keep getting the chalkboard for RM and next year, receive all the credit that comes with being on a really good and winning team and then the opportunities and salary offers will greatly increase over this year. Right now, PM and RM are testing the commitment of SLU and Fr. Biondi and it really doesn't look so great anymore.

Guys. If Porter is so good and is deserving of being our next coach, then why on earth would he take the Green Bay job? What career path move would that be? Count me in the camp that all he has to do is sit on the end of our bench, keep getting the chalkboard for RM and next year, receive all the credit that comes with being on a really good and winning team and then the opportunities and salary offers will greatly increase over this year. Right now, PM and RM are testing the commitment of SLU and Fr. Biondi and it really doesn't look so great anymore.

When was the last time you saw an Atlantic-ten assistant accept a job at a big-time school. Keep in mind we almost lost to Wisconsin Green-Bay this year, at home. It is not a big time job, but it is a head coaching job and that is hard for anyone to pass up. And I wouldn't underestimate the amount of work Porter does to make this team go.

Personally, I think he is using it as leverage. At least I hope so. I think we all know that he would love to be the coach at SLU and he knows he won't have to wait that long to be the coach here. However, I could be wrong and he could jump ship...I hope not. Maybe there are other reasons we are unaware of.