RM on PM

slu72

Well, RM has come out and said he'd like to see SLU give PM the guaranteed HC job when he leaves. But, said the school can't do it "right now." What in he** does that mean? Is there something in the school's charter/constitution that doesn't allow this? One would think Fr. B can do just about anything he wants at SLU. I'm thinking PM would stay if they did make the offer, but if they don't it sounds like he's gonna be a Packer tailgater.

It has been stated on here many times that it would make sense to offer the job to porter in some sort of contract, but I personally don't know why that can't be done. It seems simple, though. Just add in some wording saying the job is yours if RM leaves within such and such a time frame--or even something as simple as: you are given first right of refusal or maybe even something as non-comittal (which may not be enough) as you are guranteed the opportunity to interview and are our first candidate upon Rick's leaving.

Anyway they do it--it needs to be done, in my opinion. PM is a top-notch guy and it would be great if he were to become our next head coach. It would also validate all of the hard work and time he is currently putting into the program now. When the program does get the the level that we all know it will in the next 2 years he will have been a huge part of that. And if rick were to leave in say 3 or 4 years--Porter really just inherits the team he helped to build and run already--it wouldn't be a huge transition, just new business cards and print media.

The only reason I can see not to do this is if the administration feels that we truly are headed in the right direction and in a few more years we may be able to get another "big name" coach. I disagree with this approach for multiple reasons. Bringing in another "big name" probably means another rebuilding time frame--a whole new approach to the game that RM's recruits may not fit and more than likely we would have to pay even more that we already to RM. I have no problem paying PM what we are paying RM if the program does in the next couple of years what we are all hopeful it is going to do. Again, I don't know if this is their thinking, but this is the only thing I can think of that would make the slightest bit of sense for not securing PM now.

They need to find a way to make this happen before PM is gone.

Agree, PM has been good for us, and while no one's indespensable it sounds like RM really needs PM to be his leg man. Major concern given RM's health history. One has to think if PM was given some assurances, he'd pass on UWGB and continue to build his resume at SLU. I fear he's UWGB's numer uno at this point. And you can't fault him for wanting to be a HC again. If it doesn't work out for him here, here's a name I'd like to see RM consider to replace him, Gaudio from WF. Hell of a recruiter as well and not a bad X and O man. Not really sure why WF let him go other than they had a late season collapse. But he was probably only one win away from keeping his job, the loss in the NCAA hurt him. Who knows maybe it was prophetic when RM did that interview a month ago wearing a WF sweatshirt.

In my opinion we have two options once Majerus leaves:

1. Hire Porter Moser, OR

2. Hire Rammer

Both of which will result in a National Championship

I'm not sure hiring the Rammer would be fair to the rest of the college basketball world. It would no longer be competitive. The Rammer would have SLU undefeated champs every single season.

I'm not sure hiring the Rammer would be fair to the rest of the college basketball world. It would no longer be competitive. The Rammer would have SLU undefeated champs every single season.

To balance it out, the NCAA would mandate that we only play with 4 players...

Rammer might set a record for technicals in a season...

To balance it out, the NCAA would mandate that we only play with 4 players...

Rammer might set a record for technicals in a season...

you are saying there are referees that would call a technical foul on rammer? whoooooooaaaaaaaaa

Agree, PM has been good for us, and while no one's indespensable it sounds like RM really needs PM to be his leg man. Major concern given RM's health history. One has to think if PM was given some assurances, he'd pass on UWGB and continue to build his resume at SLU. I fear he's UWGB's numer uno at this point. And you can't fault him for wanting to be a HC again. If it doesn't work out for him here, here's a name I'd like to see RM consider to replace him, Gaudio from WF. Hell of a recruiter as well and not a bad X and O man. Not really sure why WF let him go other than they had a late season collapse. But he was probably only one win away from keeping his job, the loss in the NCAA hurt him. Who knows maybe it was prophetic when RM did that interview a month ago wearing a WF sweatshirt.

That's a good thought. Majerus reportedly was buddies with Prosser, which leads me to believe that he probably knows Gaudio pretty well.

Ahhhh....... the legend of Porter Moser continues to grow!!!

Not picking on you, Sheldon, but Porter Moser is not at all deserving of "paying PM what we are paying RM if the program does in the next couple of years what we are all hopeful it is going to do." If the team does well the next couple of years, then RM gets the credit and PM gets much lesser credit for contributing as an assistant coach. The kids are coming to play for RM - not PM or Chris Harriman. PM and Harriman have connections, put in the leg-work and are deserving of credit, but I have faith that RM would replace PM with another assistant coach who also has connections. Remember, SLU assistant coaches are making more than they ever have in the past.

RM is getting $1 million b/c of his HOF career. Brad made $325-$400K. Romar made $400 to $550K. Spoon made $500-$600K. Sean Miller, during his last year at X, was making $700K. Locking-up PM as our next coach is one thing. Paying PM 3x's what Brad made is outrageous!! We don't need to spend $1 million just to spend the money but we also cannot go back to being cheap and trying to get by with $300 to $400k either.

Again. This all comes down to how much SLU will support the basketball program. Yes, Fr. Biondi built the Chafeitz. Thank you. What's next though? Will Dr. Chaveitz still have interest (donate more $) if and when RM eventually leaves? Or will Dr. Chaf leave with him? Will SLU be in the running for the next up-and-coming no-name Big 10 assistant coach or will SLU be in the running for a more proven commodity. Not many RM's around but a guy like Spoon comes to mind. Will another Valley coach want to come to SLU?? Will a Horizon coach (not Butler) want to come to SLU? Technically, Brad was a D1 head coach (Interim at Wisc), Romar was HC at Pepperdine.

Again, yes, PM is a nice guy. Frankly, I am enjoying a winning coach who isn't such a nice guy. If Dr. Chaif and SLU are willing to spend $700,000, they should be able to land a pretty good guy.

Also, who ever said that PM and KM play the same style and there would be continuity from one to the next??

It has been stated on here many times that it would make sense to offer the job to porter in some sort of contract, but I personally don't know why that can't be done. It seems simple, though. Just add in some wording saying the job is yours if RM leaves within such and such a time frame--or even something as simple as: you are given first right of refusal or maybe even something as non-comittal (which may not be enough) as you are guranteed the opportunity to interview and are our first candidate upon Rick's leaving.

Anyway they do it--it needs to be done, in my opinion. PM is a top-notch guy and it would be great if he were to become our next head coach. It would also validate all of the hard work and time he is currently putting into the program now. When the program does get the the level that we all know it will in the next 2 years he will have been a huge part of that. And if rick were to leave in say 3 or 4 years--Porter really just inherits the team he helped to build and run already--it wouldn't be a huge transition, just new business cards and print media.

The only reason I can see not to do this is if the administration feels that we truly are headed in the right direction and in a few more years we may be able to get another "big name" coach. I disagree with this approach for multiple reasons. Bringing in another "big name" probably means another rebuilding time frame--a whole new approach to the game that RM's recruits may not fit and more than likely we would have to pay even more that we already to RM. I have no problem paying PM what we are paying RM if the program does in the next couple of years what we are all hopeful it is going to do. Again, I don't know if this is their thinking, but this is the only thing I can think of that would make the slightest bit of sense for not securing PM now.

I'm not for locking up PM as the "coach in waiting." Too many things could go wrong. I would be open to luring Steve Alford to SLU. That would be a bigger splash than PM. Although I am not opposed to promoting PM if things continue to progress.

I'm not for locking up PM as the "coach in waiting." Too many things could go wrong. I would be open to luring Steve Alford to SLU. That would be a bigger splash than PM. Although I am not opposed to promoting PM if things continue to progress.

Maybe a bigger splash, but I'm not the cost/benefit justifies it. Nor am I sure that Alford would make that move unless Biondi had a trunk load of money to offer.

If it doesn't work out for him here, here's a name I'd like to see RM consider to replace him, Gaudio from WF. Hell of a recruiter as well and not a bad X and O man. Not really sure why WF let him go other than they had a late season collapse. But he was probably only one win away from keeping his job, the loss in the NCAA hurt him. Who knows maybe it was prophetic when RM did that interview a month ago wearing a WF sweatshirt.

Forget Gaudio. Horrible offensive coach. Wake is my #1 team, Bills are 1a, and I'm glad we got rid of Gaudio. He had three first round draft picks last year, counting Aminu, and Aminu back this year and couldn't do squat in the postseason, not even competitive except for the Texas game. I'm all for keeping Porter if there's any way possible. I think he'll get the Green Bay job though. Hopefully, SLU can get him back when they need him. Hate to see the chemistry of next year's team affected by him leaving though.

Forget Gaudio. Horrible offensive coach. Wake is my #1 team, Bills are 1a, and I'm glad we got rid of Gaudio. He had three first round draft picks last year, counting Aminu, and Aminu back this year and couldn't do squat in the postseason, not even competitive except for the Texas game. I'm all for keeping Porter if there's any way possible. I think he'll get the Green Bay job though. Hopefully, SLU can get him back when they need him. Hate to see the chemistry of next year's team affected by him leaving though.

Can't judge him from an X and O standpoint, but am pretty sure when Prosser died, WF promoted him because he was the lead recruiter and they didn't want to see those kids leaving. He brought in a boatload of it. Maybe, a couple of years with RM as his mentor would improve his X's and O's and that coupled with his sales ability would make him a good HC. Only fear then would be him bolting back to a BCS job at the first opportunity.

Maybe a bigger splash, but I'm not the cost/benefit justifies it. Nor am I sure that Alford would make that move unless Biondi had a trunk load of money to offer.

Alford apparently was making $1 million per year at Iowa and then got a fresh start and $975K at New Mexico.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2807516

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/mar/23/al...-salary-975000/

Again, if Fr. B and Dr. Chaif are willing to continue to spend $750,000 plus, we won't need to take such chances with lesser known coaches who might, or might not, turn out to be special.

Alford apparently was making $1 million per year at Iowa and then got a fresh start and $975K at New Mexico.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2807516

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/mar/23/al...-salary-975000/

Again, if Fr. B and Dr. Chaif are willing to continue to spend $750,000 plus, we won't need to take such chances with lesser known coaches who might, or might not, turn out to be special.

After a couple of more years at UNM like the last year, the asking price will go up.