Nike World Summit

I passed tentative judgment based on what I saw; others are passing tentative judgment based on his being selected. So? People have been posting as if Loe were the final piece of the puzzle for the Billikens to get to the NCAA Tournament; some have proposed that he might approach the impact of Hughes, considering he also played in that game. (You said "very few," which means "some"; that means it can be discussed.)

Just because Mitchell and Reed didn't get selected for the Nike Hoops Summit while Loe did doesn't automatically mean Loe will immediately (or ever) be a better college player than Mitchell or Reed. Maybe he will, but last night didn't show me that.

I don't see how I'm "rushing to judgment" anymore than anyone else or how I'm being destructively critical with my evaluation. All I said was that I don't think the kid will be an immediate star. Yeah, I saw his quick release and good form, but he didn't hit the shot. Yeah, he hardly touched the ball and didn't play a lot, but there's probably a reason for that: he wasn't that caliber of player in that setting. I don't really know what that means for his four years as a Billiken (or three years, or two — who knows), but I'm dialing down my expectations. But I'm not saying he shouldn't have been offered a scholarship.

Thicks, you seem to put more value in the 10 minutes he actually played in a game with elite players than the entire tournament he played in last summer where he averaged 18 points per game. By comparison, Cody average 12. Additionally, Loe had scholarship offers from Pitt, GT, St. Marys and Colorado yet you can tell from 10 minutes that he isn't an impact player?

Why put so much value into 10 minutes and not more value into an entire tournament and talent evaluators such as the ones at the schools that recruited him.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Int'l team is selected by having two players from five different geographic zones around the globe. The two from Down Under were Loe and the Aussie PG. This doesn't mean that Loe is one of the best 10 international high school players in the age group, it means he was one of the two best from Down Under.

That said, the other 3 post players clearly showed more athleticism and ability to finish than Mr. Loe did. I think he can be a serviceable center for us, maybe a low double digit scorer by his junior year. A lot of what he can accomplish depends on how hard he's willing to work.

People are really over-reacting to this ONE game.

Freshman year: 10 points 5 board

Sophomore year 13 board 7 boards

Junior year 17 10

Senior year 19 10

Guaranteed

Isn't Loe the same guy who averaged over 18 points per game in the Under 19 World event over several games? How does 10 minutes in the Nike Summit game mean he won't be an immediate impact player? I can remember a couple of games this year where Kwamain had almost no points in the first half and still finished still with 18 points. We shouldn't try to project anything based on 10 minutes.

People are really over-reacting to this ONE game.

Freshman year: 10 points 5 board

Sophomore year 13 board 7 boards

Junior year 17 10

Senior year 19 10

Guaranteed

Easy, I think he'll be good, but what basis do you have for these kinds of numbers?

The Int'l team is selected by having two players from five different geographic zones around the globe. The two from Down Under were Loe and the Aussie PG. This doesn't mean that Loe is one of the best 10 international high school players in the age group, it means he was one of the two best from Down Under.

That said, the other 3 post players clearly showed more athleticism and ability to finish than Mr. Loe did. I think he can be a serviceable center for us, maybe a low double digit scorer by his junior year. A lot of what he can accomplish depends on how hard he's willing to work.

And the other 3 post players will likely be playing in the NBA or for millions in their home country within 2 years. People need to get a grip here and realize that Loe is not a "serviceable" player. This was an elite level of competition, not some regional or city-wide all-star game.

Easy, I think he'll be good, but what basis do you have for these kinds of numbers?

How about his performance in the U19 tourney last summer against guys 1 or 2 years older than him. How about the quality of the schools that wanted him.

There is a lot of stuff to address in this thread.

After reading the practice reports before the game, you could tell Loe was not going to be an impact player in the game. He seemed a little timid, and he was much less athletic than the other guys out there. However, he showed a quick release on his three and he ran the floor pretty well.

I don't expect him to start at the beginning of next year, but the fact that he was selected to this team shows us something. My guess is either CE or CR (if CE plays 3) will start at the 4.

Last night's game may have been a little disheartening, but it was ten minutes against the best players in the world. Kanter and Sullinger were the two best players, and not coincidently, they were the two strongest players. Loe has a lot of work to do in that area.

Also, if Dukan or Barton or Meyers Leonard or Reggie Bullock committed to SLU I (and probably most others) would be ecstatic, and I think Loe did about as well as all of them.

How about his performance in the U19 tourney last summer against guys 1 or 2 years older than him. How about the quality of the schools that wanted him.

Yes, that is why I think he will be good. But If Loe puts up the kind of numbers that Majerus Magic is predicting we won't have him for four years.

It will take him a little bit of time to get physically aclimated, but I saw a lot of potential last night.

I put a lot of stock into the U-19 numbers, but keep in mind when comparing them to Cody's that Cody played on a much better team and got less looks.

Because he is good.

What basis do you have for thinkng he won't?

I'm always a little skeptical of anointing guys with those types of stats before seeing them play. And then we do see him play and he doesn't how much (but as I say in my other post, I'm not too worried about last night's game).

The coach of the World team said it would take Loe some time before he was a star.

And the other 3 post players will likely be playing in the NBA or for millions in their home country within 2 years. People need to get a grip here and realize that Loe is not a "serviceable" player. This was an elite level of competition, not some regional or city-wide all-star game.

True, or within three years for sure. Each of them was terrific. Kentucky has a beast in Kanter. One thing I learned last night is that if you have to watch one game of high school all-stars, this is the one to watch. The play was at a very high level.

Yes, that is why I think he will be good. But If Loe puts up the kind of numbers that Majerus Magic is predicting we won't have him for four years.

It will take him a little bit of time to get physically aclimated, but I saw a lot of potential last night.

I put a lot of stock into the U-19 numbers, but keep in mind when comparing them to Cody's that Cody played on a much better team and got less looks.

I'll take him for three

I'll take him for three

As would I, but I think he will be here for four. Also, keep in mind with the level of talent we are (hopefully) bringing in, nobody is going to average 19 because of the balance.

I stick by my assertion that this is the best recruiting class since Majerus arrived.

I acknowledged that it was just ONE game. I also said that he'll fit in on SLU's team better than he did last night. But I no longer envision his being an instant high-impact player; I don't think he'll necessarily be giving SLU an instant 12 points and 8 rebounds per game or more. I guess I was just wishing for more.

Sure, there are McDonald's All-Americans who don't dazzle in the showcase. How often do they then turn around and dazzle as freshmen? All I'm "concluding" is that Loe probably won't be a star as a freshman. Why does that make people so upset?

Cody Ellis averaged close to 12 and 8? Didn't he? Or maybe more like 10 and 6. I am guessing the coaching staff is viewing loe as more of an impact player than Cody, who by the way did not play in the Nike game last year. But you've concluded from 10 minutes of an all star game that he will have less of an impact than Cody did this year. By the way Cody was something like 1 for 30 in the last few games from behind the arc and still finished the season with solid numbers and as an "impact" player.

And it is an all star game.

Cody Ellis averaged close to 12 and 8? Didn't he? Or maybe more like 10 and 6. I am guessing the coaching staff is viewing loe as more of an impact player than Cody, who by the way did not play in the Nike game last year. But you've concluded from 10 minutes of an all star game that he will have less of an impact than Cody did this year. By the way Cody was something like 1 for 30 in the last few games from behind the arc and still finished the season with solid numbers and as an "impact" player.

And it is an all star game.

in many respects it is a lot different than an all-star game.

Few things:

1) I'm VERY excited to have Loe play for us. I think he will make us a better team from the start. I thought we were a potential tourney team (Field of 65) before we got him, so I'm pumped that he will give us that extra push.

2) Just because their coach thinks he needs time to speed up doesn't mean anything to me really. Rick recruited this guy for our system and will know what he is doing with him when he gets him under his wing. Having two monsters down low, whether Loe scores or not, is going to help us defensively. Think of all the shots being altered, etc, with Willie and Loe's arms flying through the air. He may be slow right now on D, but so was Christian and he improved by a huge amount by the end of the year.

3) Consider the extra help on the boards he will provide. This was one of our weak spots last year and it should help tremondously with a 7 footer down low. I don't care if he needs more muscle, he will help a lot more on the boards, than a guy like Conklin, who has more muscle on the team than anyone.

Just because he may not be a a scoring machine right off the bat, doesn't mean he won't have an immediate impact. Can't wait for the season to start.

in many respects it is a lot different than an all-star game.

what r the "many respects" that make it different than an allstar game? The fact they play together for a few days beforehand? Give me a break. Loe was playing with a bunch of kids who probably couldn't even understand each other. The Chinese kid had an interpreter with him.

Completely agree. Just by being selected Loe put himself in another league, in terms of honors bestowed on a high school basketball player, than anyone on the current Billiken team. I would have liked to see him play more and get more touches but i am no less excited about him being a Billiken than I was before last night.

Has the SLU fanbase quickly become this spoiled? It wasn't too long ago when we would sign honorable mention all conference players from Waterloo, Il.

O man. I'm hurt. I'm from Waterloo, went to Gibault, and was neighbors with Chris Braun, and he played basketball in our driveway from time to time. I'm serious about that too. Chris should have been more than an honorable mention player, but obviously he wasn't a star at SLU.

I agree with you on Loe though. He'll be fine. Give him some coaching, and actually put him in a system where you play offense and defense and he'll contribute. Last night had the feel of an NBA game at times. Give him a 4 months of practicing with his team, and he'll contribute a lot next year.

so based on 10 minutes of action against a lineup that would beat any college team in the country you have concluded that he has a ways to go and is not at the level of mccall and Evans, two players who were probably never even candidates to play in this game? You must be one hell of a talent evaluator.

The other players on the team faced the same opponents and did not struggle as he did. I'm saying that he is not as ready to play at a level that makes him the savior some said he will be next year. Time will tell.

what r the "many respects" that make it different than an allstar game? The fact they play together for a few days beforehand? Give me a break. Loe was playing with a bunch of kids who probably couldn't even understand each other. The Chinese kid had an interpreter with him.

1) Teams are actually playing hard.

2) The kids are playing with something at stake.

3) They practice several times beforehand

4) The coaching staffs are involved (when in an all-star game do you see people pressing)

5) They look for the bigs down low

I'm sure there are many more.

Do you realize the last Billiken recruit to play in this game was Larry Hughes? The fact that Loe was invited to play in this game says a hell of a lot more than his box score. You do realize he was playing against McD AA/5 star recruits who are going to the NBA? I think Loe will be starting and posting up some pretty good numbers next year. Keep it in perspective!

That is the cause of the disappointment. Loe is suppose to be at the same level as a McDonald's All American and that did not show last night. He may be fine but, last night it did not show. That is all thicks and myself are saying.

I think he can be a serviceable center for us, maybe a low double digit scorer by his junior year. A lot of what he can accomplish depends on how hard he's willing to work.

How much do you know about Loe? Seriously, a serviceable center? I don't know much about the kid, but based on the little I know, I'm willing to bet he will be much more than a "serviceable" center.

People are really going off the deep end here, good grief.

Thicks, I'm a little surprised at your reaction. I do think you and others are rushing to judgment a little based off of 10 minutes in an all-star game. It's also true that myself and others probably rushed to judgment thinking Loe would be an instant stud.

How much do you know about Loe? Seriously, a serviceable center? I don't know much about the kid, but based on the little I know, I'm willing to bet he will be much more than a "serviceable" center.

Thicks, I'm a little surprised at your reaction. I do think you and others are rushing to judgment a little based off of 10 minutes in an all-star game. It's also true that myself and others probably rushed to judgment thinking Loe would be an instant stud.

+1

What gives billikenbill the right to say Loe will be servicable?

In the past I have tried to temper expectations until we have seen players live, but now I think people are going a little overboard.

Let

s wait till we see Loe play in a billiken uniform before we make judgments.

Nothing about last night changed my opinion that he will be an instant stud.

Will Barton didn't do anything special, do Memphis fans feel any worse about him signing? By all accounts he is the number 1 shooting guard in the country, and this game isn't going to change that opinion.

But seriously, a serviceable center? A "serviceable" center would be Heinrich or Kenny Brown.

Nothing about last night changed my opinion that he will be an instant stud.

Will Barton didn't do anything special, do Memphis fans feel any worse about him signing? By all accounts he is the number 1 shooting guard in the country, and this game isn't going to change that opinion.

But seriously, a serviceable center? A "serviceable" center would be Heinrich or Kenny Brown.

If Loe were going to Duke or UNC or Kansas I think he might struggle a little bit Freshman year. But because of his size and shooting touch, I don't know if his strength will make that much of a difference in the A-10. I don't expect him to be dominant and I'm not sure he will start, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were first-team all freshman in the conference.

But I would like to see him play for the Billikens first.