Nike World Summit

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm holding you to that. April 11, 2010 Majerus stated that Rob Loe will be a Billiken hall of famer. We shall revisit this in four years. I'm all for him being one of the all time greats. Being good enough to help us not only go to the NCAA tournament but win some games, will be pleasing to me.

Sounds good.

A case of beer?

Robert Loe didn't stand out at all and showed nothing that he belongs on the floor with McDonald's all-Americans. Based on this ONE exhibition, I don't see how we can expect him to come in and start and be a top-four scorer.

I do believe, though, that he'll fit into the Coach Majerus's system better than he fit into tonight's game. He doesn't seem like a seven-footer at all, though.

So which 3 billiken players do you think would have looked more impressive than loe did?

For all you guys who were so high on Loe without seeing him play and yet told me he would be a program changer and definitely start immediately, what do you think now? He has a bit of a way to go and is not at as high a level as of now as are McCall and Evans. Maybe this type of game is not good for him. He may be better suited for a more structured style of play. Coach RM will make him better. Just how much better remains to be seen. Pracices against WR and others will be a big benefit to him. Like Billiken Report said, he will be alright, eventually. Evans is going to have to be a strong rebounder.

so based on 10 minutes of action against a lineup that would beat any college team in the country you have concluded that he has a ways to go and is not at the level of mccall and Evans, two players who were probably never even candidates to play in this game? You must be one hell of a talent evaluator.

Robert Loe didn't stand out at all and showed nothing that he belongs on the floor with McDonald's all-Americans. Based on this ONE exhibition, I don't see how we can expect him to come in and start and be a top-four scorer.

Do you realize the last Billiken recruit to play in this game was Larry Hughes? The fact that Loe was invited to play in this game says a hell of a lot more than his box score. You do realize he was playing against McD AA/5 star recruits who are going to the NBA? I think Loe will be starting and posting up some pretty good numbers next year. Keep it in perspective!

I do believe, though, that he'll fit into the Coach Majerus's system better than he fit into tonight's game. He doesn't seem like a seven-footer at all, though.

Well thank you for the recap. You know everything.

So which 3 billiken players do you think would have looked more impressive than loe did?

Mitchell, Reed, Ellis, McCall (so, more than 3).

so based on 10 minutes of action against a lineup that would beat any college team in the country you have concluded that he has a ways to go and is not at the level of mccall and Evans, two players who were probably never even candidates to play in this game? You must be one hell of a talent evaluator.

I don't think anyone is saying Loe is a bad player or that he won't turn out to be good, but there's no way you can think, based on those 10 minutes, he's a McDonald's All-American caliber player. I wouldn't go so far as to say that lineup could beat "any college team," but there's certainly a lot of talent in that game. It would have been nice if Loe had shown a flash of belonging. I've dialed down my expectations.

If we want SLU to be able to have a run similar to Butler's then the players on the team need to be able to hold their own against top-notch players.

McCall has never suited up for the Bills so that would not be more than 3. I think Mitchell would be the only one holding up relative to your 3 players listed.

Regarding your first point, if that matters, why are we even having this discussion? Loe has never suited up for the Bills, either.

You have your opinion; I have mine. What is your analysis of Loe's performance in the Nike Hoops Summit? Rather than merely attacking my opinion, rebut with yours.

I don't think anyone is saying Loe is a bad player or that he won't turn out to be good, but there's no way you can think, based on those 10 minutes, he's a McDonald's All-American caliber player. I wouldn't go so far as to say that lineup could beat "any college team," but there's certainly a lot of talent in that game. It would have been nice if Loe had shown a flash of belonging. I've dialed down my expectations.

If we want SLU to be able to have a run similar to Butler's then the players on the team need to be able to hold their own against top-notch players.

Loe will be better than Reed and Ellis from day 1.

I'm not saying Roe dominated. He played only 10 minutes and touched the ball only a few times. I took away nothing about his ability from that game. You, on the other hand, have concluded from the limited action you saw that he needs work and you are guessing that 4 Billiken players would have been more impressive.

How can you say that McCall would have been more impressive? You've never seen McCall play against that type of competition.

There is a way you can think Loe's McDonald's All-American caliber, by virtue of the fact he was in this game. Keep in mind there are 20 or so McDonald's All Americans, some of whom do not score or do anything impressive in the McDonald's All American game. Maybe Loe is one of them. All you can conclude is that he did not dominate against the very best high school players in the country.

I'm really impressed by the talent on this board. I never knew we had that many professional caliber evaluators of talent. Especially after seeing someone play 10 minutes of scattered time and able to pass judgement on his skill level . Here's what we should take from this. He must have shown something to someone at sometime, otherwise he's not flown all the way from NZ, given the royal treatment in Portland, and a really sweet looking uniform he can hang on his trophy wall someday. Will he step in and dominate from day one? I don't think anyone expected him to do that. Will he help and contribute? I expect he will if he puts in the hours and listens to his coaches. For all you naysayers out there, maybe we should give Brad a call and see if he'll trade BT for young Mr. Loe.

Guest BillikenReport

Here's the box score: http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2010/10_hsum_box.pdf

The two players besides Loe who did not score in the game are going to Wisconsin (Dukan) and Memphis (Barton). The two kids who scored three points are going to Illinois (Leonard) and North Carolina (Marshall).

The other three big guys for the World team were all more productive than Loe was when they were on the floor. Unfortunately that means less minutes for Loe and less of a chance to show what he is capable of.

I'm really impressed by the talent on this board. I never knew we had that many professional caliber evaluators of talent. Especially after seeing someone play 10 minutes of scattered time and able to pass judgement on his skill level . Here's what we should take from this. He must have shown something to someone at sometime, otherwise he's not flown all the way from NZ, given the royal treatment in Portland, and a really sweet looking uniform he can hang on his trophy wall someday. Will he step in and dominate from day one? I don't think anyone expected him to do that. Will he help and contribute? I expect he will if he puts in the hours and listens to his coaches. For all you naysayers out there, maybe we should give Brad a call and see if he'll trade BT for young Mr. Loe.

I wish more people would stand up for KC, CS, and JJ like this when you hear quotes like "Jordan is going to be the next towel boy", wondering if Jordan is transferring, and projections of playing time that don't even include CS in the second team, much less the first team, even though he just played over 35 minutes a game in the CBI.

I like all 3 of the recruits and I think they will help SLU be an NCAA team for the next 3-4 years. But the reason I think SLU is going to be good is the current team that are all just freshmen and sophmores looking good against current D-1 competition.

I'm not saying Roe dominated. He played only 10 minutes and touched the ball only a few times. I took away nothing about his ability from that game. You, on the other hand, have concluded from the limited action you saw that he needs work and you are guessing that 4 Billiken players would have been more impressive.

How can you say that McCall would have been more impressive? You've never seen McCall play against that type of competition.

There is a way you can think Loe's McDonald's All-American caliber, by virtue of the fact he was in this game. Keep in mind there are 20 or so McDonald's All Americans, some of whom do not score or do anything impressive in the McDonald's All American game. Maybe Loe is one of them. All you can conclude is that he did not dominate against the very best high school players in the country.

I acknowledged that it was just ONE game. I also said that he'll fit in on SLU's team better than he did last night. But I no longer envision his being an instant high-impact player; I don't think he'll necessarily be giving SLU an instant 12 points and 8 rebounds per game or more. I guess I was just wishing for more.

Sure, there are McDonald's All-Americans who don't dazzle in the showcase. How often do they then turn around and dazzle as freshmen? All I'm "concluding" is that Loe probably won't be a star as a freshman. Why does that make people so upset?

Give me a break! If we had to be professional evaluators to post our opinions, the board would probably be empty. As for the expectations, yes, there have been posters who expect Loe to be a starter from Day 1. I never said I don't think he'll be good; I just said I don't think he's an instant star, which I'd been wishing for based on his selection to play in the game.

I'm pretty sure when Kwamain played in his all star game(s) he put up the least impressive numbers.

I believe he had like 2 points and 4 assists.

Willie had 4 points on two dunks I think.

Rob Loe will be a dominate player.

I saw Mitchell in one all-star game, and he showed me something during the course of the exhibition (ballhandling, playmaking, quickness). Reed showed me something (a nice 15-footer in addition to some dunks and blocks). Loe didn't show me anything; however, the Nike Hoop Summit isn't an all-star game. Loe may become a dominant player, but he didn't show me that last night. Perhaps he'll be like Ian Vouyoukas, who became a dominant player but rode the bench as a freshman. Or perhaps he'll be in the rotation from the start. But he didn't give me any reason last night to think that he'll be dominant in 2010-11 with Reed, Ellis, Conklin, and Remekun are returning.

Give me a break! If we had to be professional evaluators to post our opinions, the board would probably be empty. As for the expectations, yes, there have been posters who expect Loe to be a starter from Day 1. I never said I don't think he'll be good; I just said I don't think he's an instant star, which I'd been wishing for based on his selection to play in the game.

The point being no opinions should have been formed last night. Yet, you and others passed judgements on 10 minutes in an all star game. The only instant stars last night were probably the one and doners. I also think if anyone had seen the jumper he took from the baseline you would have ssen a quick release and very good form for a big man. I think very few people on here expected RL to be the next Larry the Legend. They are few and far between unless you go to KY or UNC. What I expect is he'll have a period of adjustment to RM's techniques and system, to playing against very athletic players, and to the American game in general. If he's a quick learner he'll help... a lot.

I saw Mitchell in one all-star game, and he showed me something during the course of the exhibition (ballhandling, playmaking, quickness). Reed showed me something (a nice 15-footer in addition to some dunks and blocks). Loe didn't show me anything; however, the Nike Hoop Summit isn't an all-star game. Loe may become a dominant player, but he didn't show me that last night. Perhaps he'll be like Ian Vouyoukas, who became a dominant player but rode the bench as a freshman. Or perhaps he'll be in the rotation from the start. But he didn't give me any reason last night to think that he'll be dominant in 2010-11 with Reed, Ellis, Conklin, and Remekun are returning.

Not to knock KM and WR, because they are the foundation for this team, but neither got selected for anything like last night's game. Cripes, the kid hardly played, hardly touched the ball and played a zone D. What in the he** were you expecting to see from that? I'm surprised at your rush to judgement, Thicks. You're usually an objective individual who would be a little more constructive with your criticism.

Not to knock KM and WR, because they are the foundation for this team, but neither got selected for anything like last night's game. Cripes, the kid hardly played, hardly touched the ball and played a zone D. What in the he** were you expecting to see from that? I'm surprised at your rush to judgement, Thicks. You're usually an objective individual who would be a little more constructive with your criticism.

Completely agree. Just by being selected Loe put himself in another league, in terms of honors bestowed on a high school basketball player, than anyone on the current Billiken team. I would have liked to see him play more and get more touches but i am no less excited about him being a Billiken than I was before last night.

Has the SLU fanbase quickly become this spoiled? It wasn't too long ago when we would sign honorable mention all conference players from Waterloo, Il.

The point being no opinions should have been formed last night. Yet, you and others passed judgements on 10 minutes in an all star game. The only instant stars last night were probably the one and doners. I also think if anyone had seen the jumper he took from the baseline you would have ssen a quick release and very good form for a big man. I think very few people on here expected RL to be the next Larry the Legend. They are few and far between unless you go to KY or UNC. What I expect is he'll have a period of adjustment to RM's techniques and system, to playing against very athletic players, and to the American game in general. If he's a quick learner he'll help... a lot.

I passed tentative judgment based on what I saw; others are passing tentative judgment based on his being selected. So? People have been posting as if Loe were the final piece of the puzzle for the Billikens to get to the NCAA Tournament; some have proposed that he might approach the impact of Hughes, considering he also played in that game. (You said "very few," which means "some"; that means it can be discussed.)

Just because Mitchell and Reed didn't get selected for the Nike Hoops Summit while Loe did doesn't automatically mean Loe will immediately (or ever) be a better college player than Mitchell or Reed. Maybe he will, but last night didn't show me that.

I don't see how I'm "rushing to judgment" anymore than anyone else or how I'm being destructively critical with my evaluation. All I said was that I don't think the kid will be an immediate star. Yeah, I saw his quick release and good form, but he didn't hit the shot. Yeah, he hardly touched the ball and didn't play a lot, but there's probably a reason for that: he wasn't that caliber of player in that setting. I don't really know what that means for his four years as a Billiken (or three years, or two — who knows), but I'm dialing down my expectations. But I'm not saying he shouldn't have been offered a scholarship.

I acknowledged that it was just ONE game. I also said that he'll fit in on SLU's team better than he did last night. But I no longer envision his being an instant high-impact player; I don't think he'll necessarily be giving SLU an instant 12 points and 8 rebounds per game or more. I guess I was just wishing for more.

The Int'l team is selected by having two players from five different geographic zones around the globe. The two from Down Under were Loe and the Aussie PG. This doesn't mean that Loe is one of the best 10 international high school players in the age group, it means he was one of the two best from Down Under.

That said, the other 3 post players clearly showed more athleticism and ability to finish than Mr. Loe did. I think he can be a serviceable center for us, maybe a low double digit scorer by his junior year. A lot of what he can accomplish depends on how hard he's willing to work.