Let's Play Butler...

Schasz

I would like to see Coach Majerus get them on our schedule as I would be shocked if they would not play us home and home. Butler should easily be a Top 10 pre-season team next year with all the talent they have coming back next season.

Are you sure Gordon is coming back?

That would be a fun game--Nored and Kwamain would be a great fight. I'm not sure Mack wouldn't get all up in either of our other guard's business.

CBS said Gordon Hayward is a sophomore. He was good, but I think he'd benefit from one more year. He definitely has a unique skillset. I'd like to see Cody become more like him (probably won't be as quick or agile, but could become more like Hayward).

CBS said Gordon Hayward is a sophomore. He was good, but I think he'd benefit from one more year. He definitely has a unique skillset. I'd like to see Cody become more like him (probably won't be as quick or agile, but could become more like Hayward).

Many experts have said that Hayward would be in the lottery if he comes out so if he wants to play in the NBA it would behoove him to come out this year when he is a hot commodity.

I would like to see Coach Majerus get them on our schedule as I would be shocked if they would not play us home and home. Butler should easily be a Top 10 pre-season team next year with all the talent they have coming back next season.

Iwould like to see us play Bradley instead of SEMO; if we could get a home and home they are just a couple hours away and would hellp us in recruiting

from Peoria to Chicago is always a hotbed of basketball talent.

Many experts have said that Hayward would be in the lottery if he comes out so if he wants to play in the NBA it would behoove him to come out this year when he is a hot commodity.

wow. I think the kid has a ton of talent, but still seemed a little underdeveloped physically. But you're right, timing is everything.

I agree about CE becoming more like Hayward. Just not sure he posseses the quickness and handles. Can't recall the CBI game but CE did show some inside game when his 3 wasn't falling. Am sure RM will stress CE practice getting inside more during the offseason.

I see CE being more like Singler than Haywood. Same body type, 6-8 about 230 and similar skill set. both can shoot the 3 and we saw cody posting up and taking it off the dribble a little more as the season wore on. Singler was a 4-man until this year when Coach K moved him to the 3. Once he handled it defensively, it made duke a much bigger and better team.

Iwould like to see us play Bradley instead of SEMO; if we could get a home and home they are just a couple hours away and would hellp us in recruiting

from Peoria to Chicago is always a hotbed of basketball talent.

Used to be a great rivalry back in the (old) MVC days.

Fondly,

Doug Elgin

i completely agree. when you have the input from the right sources that you will be a first round pick, you better take the money and run. especially if you are only in college to play basketball (please note it is my understanding that the last statement does not include young mr hayward who is a third team academic all american i beleive).

it doesnt matter if they are ready or not. the draft is about potential and too often the longer a player waits the less chance they will have to cash in. sure there are instances where they waited and they raised their stock to go from just a first rounder to a lottery pick but quite frankly i think it normally goes the other way.

now if the input is that the chances of being a first rounder is little to none, then a player is a fool to commit to the nba unless they are just tired of college and willing to head to europe or uraguay and just get on to playing ball.

but all in all, i say take the money and run.

i completely agree. when you have the input from the right sources that you will be a first round pick, you better take the money and run. especially if you are only in college to play basketball (please note it is my understanding that the last statement does not include young mr hayward who is a third team academic all american i beleive).

it doesnt matter if they are ready or not. the draft is about potential and too often the longer a player waits the less chance they will have to cash in. sure there are instances where they waited and they raised their stock to go from just a first rounder to a lottery pick but quite frankly i think it normally goes the other way.

now if the input is that the chances of being a first rounder is little to none, then a player is a fool to commit to the nba unless they are just tired of college and willing to head to europe or uraguay and just get on to playing ball.

but all in all, i say take the money and run.

Yeah, me too.

Fondly,

Patrick O'Bryant

If I were to wager on this, my bet would be that Hayward would stay in school for at least one more year. His basketball skills look solid for the next level, but his physique is hardly chiseled. Besides as has been mentioned he is a true student athlete.

If I were to wager on this, my bet would be that Hayward would stay in school for at least one more year. His basketball skills look solid for the next level, but his physique is hardly chiseled. Besides as has been mentioned he is a true student athlete.

Good observation. I mean, does the kid have a driver's license yet? haha

I hope he sticks around. He's the epitome of a student-athlete.

I see CE being more like Singler than Haywood. Same body type, 6-8 about 230 and similar skill set. both can shoot the 3 and we saw cody posting up and taking it off the dribble a little more as the season wore on. Singler was a 4-man until this year when Coach K moved him to the 3. Once he handled it defensively, it made duke a much bigger and better team.

I am not sure about that. I thought Singler was as about as mobile as Haywood to be honest. I also never thought of Singler as a "strong" PG but a quicker one. When watching that game, the first thing that popped in my mind was "Ellis has a long way to go to play the 3 like either of these guys". He just seems like a stronger build and not as agile. And the funny thing is that Haywood is still playing the PF position.

singler doesnt rebound like hayward, he doesnt have the ball skills of hayward (when hayward made the spin move followed by the behind the back dribble in traffic and then stopped and hit the five footer i said to myself, "whoaaaaaaa that's bigtime"). singler does shoot better from the three but then again, singler is a senior to haywards sophomore. i would bet in two years hayward is the equal of singler out there as well.

hayward probably has a lot of gm's thinking real hard about what he can progress into. i would bet there are a lot of comparisons to bird. he isnt bird........yet. but he sure has the start of something big imo that can be molded into a package that could sell tickets for an nba team.....if he continues to progress. again, the nba is all about potential. and hayward screams of a different type of potential that isnt seen in the nba often.

singler doesnt rebound like hayward, he doesnt have the ball skills of hayward (when hayward made the spin move followed by the behind the back dribble in traffic and then stopped and hit the five footer i said to myself, "whoaaaaaaa that's bigtime"). singler does shoot better from the three but then again, singler is a senior to haywards sophomore. i would bet in two years hayward is the equal of singler out there as well.

hayward probably has a lot of gm's thinking real hard about what he can progress into. i would bet there are a lot of comparisons to bird. he isnt bird........yet. but he sure has the start of something big imo that can be molded into a package that could sell tickets for an nba team.....if he continues to progress. again, the nba is all about potential. and hayward screams of a different type of potential that isnt seen in the nba often.

I completely agree Roy. Hayward was not only the best player on the floor last night, but projects to have the best career in the NBA, in my opinion. I would have liked to see him assert himself a little more prior to the last five minutes of the game, but he is only a sophomore and that type of assertiveness may come with age.

Hayward needs more seasoning. In the semi-final and final Butler needed him to be much more assertive and to take charge. It looked as if he backed off somewhat. He will have to overcome that if he goes NBA next year. However, he is only a sophomore. I don't think Butler has a guard any better than KM. They don't have a center as good as WR. Hopefully, CE will reach a level similar to Hayward's. So with the additions coming in next season, SLU has a chance to reach at least the talent level of Butler. Our reserves should be MUCH better. McCall, Evans, Remekun, Conklin, and Smith make a pretty good second five. Then there is Salecich, Jordan, and maybe John if he is healthy. For some reason I think we will be getting another recruit for next season. But as broy said, if he will be drafted in the first round, he should probably declare for the draft, although he may prefer to stay in school.