Jennifer Hudson "One Shining Moment" -- What?????

I wish CBS would just go back to the original no-name vocalist who wrote and sang the song. Luther was cool, but I still liked the anonymity of the original. Now we have Jennifer Hudson screeching the song with promo clips of her in the studio breaking up the basketball clips. Here's how it should be done (note the team at the 23 s mark):

I wish CBS would just go back to the original no-name vocalist who wrote and sang the song. Luther was cool, but I still liked the anonymity of the original. Now we have Jennifer Hudson screeching the song with promo clips of her in the studio breaking up the basketball clips. Here's how it should be done (note the team at the 23 s mark):

Thought the exact same thing.

Whoever he is, they need his version back.

Oh, I don't know. I focus more on the highlights than on the song. But I don't think Jennifer Hudson did a poor job — not that I'm a fan of hers. CBS, if they retain the rights, may have someone new do it on a regular basis. It becomes something of an honor, like doing the Anthem at the NBA All-Star game.

Oh, I don't know. I focus more on the highlights than on the song. But I don't think Jennifer Hudson did a poor job — not that I'm a fan of hers. CBS, if they retain the rights, may have someone new do it on a regular basis. I becomes something of an honor, like doing the Anthem at the NBA All-Star game.

I don't think she did a poor job singing or anything, just a little over produced I think. I don't know, something wasn't quite right about it.

I agree with you, I can see it becoming something with a new performer each year. I just hope they have SLU highlights next year.

I don't think she did a poor job singing or anything, just a little over produced I think. I don't know, something wasn't quite right about it.

I agree with you, I can see it becoming something with a new performer each year. I just hope they have SLU highlights next year.

My daughter is a huge fan of One Shining Moment since the Spoon years and she was really upset by the overhyped and overproduced emotional Jennifer Hudson clips. It is so typical of Hollywood that they just can't stand any kind of tradition and always want change. Seemed really dumb to me.

I absolutely hate American Karaoke so I was not about to watch that song get butchered.

How can you butcher a song that's already laughably bad? 'One Shining Moment' is one of the cheesiest pieces of crap associated with sports in any way. I like the idea of playing tournament highlights at the end of the tournament, but why not change the song up? Or why not use an instrumental that doesn't distract from the clips with its awfulness? Or how about just anything with a beat, halfway-decent words, and not plinked out on a Casio keyboard?

By the way, the highlights were pretty weak this year. They cut away to Hudson too much and favored reaction shots over actual plays.

I thought CBS did a bad job overall this year, and wouldn't mind seeing the tournament finally go to another network.

I thought the opening was crap too --- with Diddy doing whtever it is he does. Everybody acting tough. Even the ladies looked like they'd cut you with a knife when all was said and done. I also think that the championship, if they are going to insist on it being in domed football stadiums every year, should lock into Indy. A great venue. A great sports town. A great downtown. And home to the NCAA. Everyone else would b*tch and moan but I loved it. And I don't think having Butler there was an addition.

Whoever he is, they need his version back.

Teddy Pendergrass originally of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes fame. Most people probably think Harold Melvin was the lead singer for them, but in fact Teddy was the lead singer on most of their hits including If you don't know me by now. The song you'll know from his solo career is Love TKO. Teddy was one of the first lets make love style soul singers and imo still one of the best. If not for Teddy you might not know Barry White, Keith Sweat, Gerald LeVert and many of the stars that followed him. Teddy was paralized I believe in a car accident in the early 80's.

Teddy Pendergrass originally of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes fame. Most people probably think Harold Melvin was the lead singer for them, but in fact Teddy was the lead singer on most of their hits including If you don't know me by now. The song you'll know from his solo career is Love TKO. Teddy was one of the first lets make love style soul singers and imo still one of the best. If not for Teddy you might not know Barry White, Keith Sweat, Gerald LeVert and many of the stars that followed him. Teddy was paralized I believe in a car accident in the early 80's.

And he just passed away a few weeks ago, IIRC.

The first time I heard Teddy P was driving with former Athletic Dept. member Terry Elmore down to Savvis for my first ever Billiken game my freshman year. It was a bit awkward when Elmore yelled "God damn! Turn 'em off!" during the song "Turn off the Lights." Looking back, any time I hear Teddy P on the AM radio dial, I always think about SLU hoops.