OT: NCAA FINAL

MB73

I'm guessing no program is 100% clean, even Butler and SLU. Some are worse than others. Butler seems to be a great program, but I know less about them than I do Duke.

Note a local guy who some people had wanted at SLU just got into trouble. Hopefully this is not indicative of his character, but still, not good press for someone looking to get back into elite level college basketball.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=431019

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Note a local guy who some people had wanted at SLU just got into trouble. Hopefully this is not indicative of his character, but still, not good press for someone looking to get back into elite level college basketball.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=431019

Police say at about 5:30 Tuesday morning he smashed a homeowner's garage window with a tire iron in order to get into the house. Then, when confronted by the victim, Brandenburg allegedly asked the victim if he had any beer and wanted to party.

You can't make up stuff like this.

The sociolgy major thing is false.

Some myth you heard second hand, you liked what you heard, but it is not accurate.

We have been over this before, Broy.

I have a recent former Duke varsity athlete, now in law school, that would like to debate you in public over this claim of yours.

At Humphries, maybe, invite some of the loons from this board.

We will tape it and put it on YouTube.

Wagering will be allowed.

He will bring facts.

What will you bring? :lol:

why dont you just tell us what part of the jason williams story i have wrong? he wasnt a sociology major? he didnt graduate in two and a half years? he didnt travel every summer with the usa world team? what part did i make up?

why dont you just tell us what part of the jason williams story i have wrong? he wasnt a sociology major? he didnt graduate in two and a half years? he didnt travel every summer with the usa world team? what part did i make up?

You basically said ALL of the Duke basketball players majored in sociology. And that was some kind of scam.

Now you cite the Jason Williams story, whatever TF that is....

Current starters Zoubeck = history, Smith = African American Studies, Singler = Arts, Schyer = history, Thomas = Arts.

Rest of team, no sociology, though all do not list a major, so maybe someone.

You said ALL.

I do not know the details of your foo-foo allegations with Jason Williams, so I cannot dispute them intelligently.

Tell us.

I have a guy who knew JJ Reddick, Sheldon Williams, all those guys, and played another varisty sport at Duke for 4 yrs.

He says your sociology accusations are ridiculous.

He is not enamoured with Duke. He is NOT a nutcase 24/7 Dukie, definitely did not even watch the whole game last nite, maybe 10 minutes, I will ask him.

So now that you have changed the subject, tell us your HUGE Jason Williams story that you heard from a guy who heard from a guy who read an article written by a NC University guy.

(FYI to all, I hope SLU meets Duke in NCAA's next yr, beats them by 20 and Coach K weeps like a little girl... but I am tired of the feeble unfounded Duke accusations based upon rumor that I hear from some of you guys.... especially Pistol The Hater)

You basically said ALL of the Duke basketball players majored in sociology. And that was some kind of scam.

Now you cite the Jason Williams story, whatever TF that is....

Current starters Zoubeck = history, Smith = African American Studies, Singler = Arts, Schyer = history, Thomas = Arts.

Rest of team, no sociology, though all do not list a major, so maybe someone.

You said ALL.

I do not know the details of your foo-foo allegations with Jason Williams, so I cannot dispute them intelligently.

Tell us.

I have a guy who knew JJ Reddick, Sheldon Williams, all those guys, and played another varisty sport at Duke for 4 yrs.

He says your sociology accusations are ridiculous.

He is not enamoured with Duke. He is NOT a nutcase 24/7 Dukie, definitely did not even watch the whole game last nite, maybe 10 minutes, I will ask him.

So now that you have changed the subject, tell us your HUGE Jason Williams story that you heard from a guy who heard from a guy who read an article written by a NC University guy.

(FYI to all, I hope SLU meets Duke in NCAA's next yr, beats them by 20 and Coach K weeps like a little girl... but I am tired of the feeble unfounded Duke accusations based upon rumor that I hear from some of you guys.... especially Pistol The Hater)

i already told the story. williams "majored" in sociology. graduated in 2.5 years even though he never attended school in the summer and played college basketball. either that is a sham major or williams is a genius.

so now they are all history majors and art majors? what do they play trivia pursuit for finals? my gosh they go to duke one of the finest institutions in america and get a degee in history. awesome. they should go back to sociology.

MB73 admitted to having a kid who was a varsity athlete at Duke. Duke, in his eyes, can do no wrong. This probably isn't worth arguing with him anymore because of his stated bias.

i do want to apologize for stating that most of the players are sociology majors. mb is correct, that no longer is the case. now the roster is mostly undecided's, history and visual arts majors. they do indeed have a couple of eckerle's at the end of the bench with econ majors and one working on a masters in management. nolan smith is working towards an african studies major (just curious, what career path would that lead to?).

the point is, there is not much in the way of academic honor and challenge on the roster that i see that would reflect the great institution duke is reputed to be.

i already told the story. williams "majored" in sociology. graduated in 2.5 years even though he never attended school in the summer and played college basketball. either that is a sham major or williams is a genius.

so now they are all history majors and art majors? what do they play trivia pursuit for finals? my gosh they go to duke one of the finest institutions in america and get a degee in history. awesome. they should go back to sociology.

Weak argument, throwing ca-ca against the wall.

Unless you know more about Williams, you have no real evidence of anything wrongdoing. Sounds questionable with the facts you present but I doubt you have the facts correct, as is your nature when it comes to Duke.

Surprisingly, Duke does not have any undergrad business degrees, economics is in Trinity School of Arts, though Duke does have an MBA program.

Same as Yale FYI, but you would not know that, you just throw it up against the wall.

You were totally wrong with the sociology accusation, heard it in a bar somewhere, now backtracking, looking for another angle.

MB73 admitted to having a kid who was a varsity athlete at Duke. Duke, in his eyes, can do no wrong. This probably isn't worth arguing with him anymore because of his stated bias.

Not that simple.

Nice spin, though, MSNBC - like.

I just do not like vicious unsubstantiated hateful accusations against Duke from people like you thrown out there on this site.

Like your post # 28.

Weak argument, throwing ca-ca against the wall.

Unless you know more about Williams, you have no real evidence of anything wrongdoing. Sounds questionable with the facts you present but I doubt you have the facts correct, as is your nature when it comes to Duke.

Surprisingly, Duke does not have any undergrad business degrees, economics is in Trinity School of Arts, though Duke does have an MBA program.

Same as Yale FYI, but you would not know that, you just throw it up against the wall.

You were totally wrong with the sociology accusation, heard it in a bar somewhere, now backtracking, looking for another angle.

i never said anything about wrong doing. all i am saying is that duke went out of their way to make going to duke an easy academic journey. the sociology major was a fact 10 years ago. my guess is the school probably told mikey he had to stop it. so he now uses alternative routes to get the kids through the school. nothing wrong with that. it is pretty obvious slu uses communications to do the same. all schools do it. all i am saying is dont project duke as some sort of stanford for their basketball team when they are really only duke in name.

i never said anything about wrong doing. all i am saying is that duke went out of their way to make going to duke an easy academic journey. the sociology major was a fact 10 years ago. my guess is the school probably told mikey he had to stop it. so he now uses alternative routes to get the kids through the school. nothing wrong with that. it is pretty obvious slu uses communications to do the same. all schools do it. all i am saying is dont project duke as some sort of stanford for their basketball team when they are really only duke in name.

What I am saying is that there is no place to hide dumb jocks at Duke, no easy academic journey.

Sure, none of the players are majoring in engineering or pre-med, and the basketball players are not all up to the standards of the average Duke student.

But there are not classes set up or curriculum set up for them as you allege. No way.

That is why I offered to have an expert person "in the know" debate with you at Humphries, wagering allowed, tape it and put on YouTube. :lol:

Did not hear back from you on that one... he would mop the floor with you with facts.

There ARE hide 'em classes at a lot of fine schools like Michigan, Florida, Kentucky, etc, that have REAL dumb jock classes galore to hide kids that probably do not even belong in college. IMO I wonder if the famous freshmen at Kentucky this yr could pass any courses at Duke. That is an opinion, I have no direct basis for that, but I would think that is the case.

Same problem at SLU... yes, communications is easy, but not as easy as the courses the football players and hoopsters and junior college transfers at Missouri U can take.

You previously mocked history majors... what did you major in, nuclear physics? Screwingpeopleoverwithmortgagerates? Internet agitation? :lol:

What I am saying is that there is no place to hide dumb jocks at Duke, no easy academic journey.

Sure, none of the players are majoring in engineering or pre-med, and the basketball players are not all up to the standards of the average Duke student.

But there are not classes set up or curriculum set up for them as you allege. No way.

That is why I offered to have an expert person "in the know" debate with you at Humphries, wagering allowed, tape it and put on YouTube. :lol:

Did not hear back from you on that one... he would mop the floor with you with facts.

There ARE hide 'em classes at a lot of fine schools like Michigan, Florida, Kentucky, etc, that have REAL dumb jock classes galore to hide kids that probably do not even belong in college. IMO I wonder if the famous freshmen at Kentucky this yr could pass any courses at Duke. That is an opinion, I have no direct basis for that, but I would think that is the case.

Same problem at SLU... yes, communications is easy, but not as easy as the courses the football players and hoopsters and junior college transfers at Missouri U can take.

You previously mocked history majors... what did you major in, nuclear physics? Screwingpeopleoverwithmortgagerates? Internet agitation? :lol:

i am insulted by your mortgage comment. i have helped a number of people on this board with mortgage questions and likely protected them from mistakes that would and not once did i try to steal their business or mislead them. i only tried to help them understand the very difficult process. so you are way out of line with that statement.

i have a double major from slu in marketing and communications. and yes i recognize that communications was an easy major. but it also enabled me to soak up as much time with avis meyer as possible as i beleive he is the best teacher slu has had in the last 30+ years.

i agree i mocked history majors. and if you think history, visual arts and african american studies are difficult majors we will have to agree to disagree. i say considering the other options that a duke student would have, those majors equate to the easy academic journey at duke.

Not that simple.

Nice spin, though, MSNBC - like.

I just do not like vicious unsubstantiated hateful accusations against Duke from people like you thrown out there on this site.

Like your post # 28.

Ooh, nice, yet another political comment from you on top of your otherwise inane basketball-related comments. Back on the ignore list you go.

i am insulted by your mortgage comment. i have helped a number of people on this board with mortgage questions and likely protected them from mistakes that would and not once did i try to steal their business or mislead them. i only tried to help them understand the very difficult process. so you are way out of line with that statement.

i have a double major from slu in marketing and communications. and yes i recognize that communications was an easy major. but it also enabled me to soak up as much time with avis meyer as possible as i beleive he is the best teacher slu has had in the last 30+ years.

i agree i mocked history majors. and if you think history, visual arts and african american studies are difficult majors we will have to agree to disagree. i say considering the other options that a duke student would have, those majors equate to the easy academic journey at duke.

Did not want to insult your profession... more of a bad joke not well thought out.

Duke focuses on liberal arts much like Yale, there is no undergrad business degree.

As to "insults" some might say you insulted the Duke NCAA Championship team, a top rated clean program (though not perfect), their curriculum, and their students.

@ SLU I majored in marketing. It was a breese. Easy as pie. No challenge at all. Boring. :mellow:

Ooh, nice, yet another political comment from you on top of your otherwise inane basketball-related comments. Back on the ignore list you go.

Hypocritical.

Earlier this yr you have peppered statements about "tea baggers" being "morons" into the middle of threads focused upon SLU hoops.

Totally unrelated to the discussion.

Do you deny that?

3 current Supreme Court justices majored in history (Roberts, Scalia, Sotomayor)....not weighing in either way, just throwing that out there

3 current Supreme Court justices majored in history (Roberts, Scalia, Sotomayor)....not weighing in either way, just throwing that out there

Yeah, I don't think the history curriculum is anything to sneeze at. But the problem, to me, is what do you do with it other than become a history professor or social-studies teacher? (Erwin Claggett, McCluer's head coach, is a social-studies teacher there, by the way.)

if scheyer and zoubek go on to get their law degrees and are named judges, i will send them notes of congratulations and an apology. roberts, scalia and sotomayor were probably not challenged much getting that history degree, but the law degree is a different story. are scheyer and zoubek accepted yet at duke law?

if scheyer and zoubek go on to get their law degrees and are named judges, i will send them notes of congratulations and an apology. roberts, scalia and sotomayor were probably not challenged much getting that history degree, but the law degree is a different story. are scheyer and zoubek accepted yet at duke law?

If they go to law school, are named judges, then go into coaching, but do not agree to a Monday night radio show, will you still write them notes of congratulations? :mellow:

Like I said, I wasn't weighing in or passing judgment on the matter, I was just stating facts....personally, I think History is one of the 'easiest' majors out there.

However, since Roberts, Scalia, and Sotomayor went to Harvard, Georgetown, and Princeton respectively, and Scheyer and Zoubek go to Duke, ALL top 20 schools, it is hard to determine if these majors are 'harder' at these elite universities....

Since I did not go to a school of this caliber, I cannot make a determination or comparison about the relative easyness of a certain major....

Would you not think that the History curriculum/degree at SIUE would be easier to achieve than a History curriculum at Georgetown, or for that matter, Duke?

If they go to law school, are named judges, then go into coaching, but do not agree to a Monday night radio show, will you still write them notes of congratulations? :mellow:

yes. that would be quite a statement to give up a law career for being a coach. i would add a p.s. though voicing my disapppointment they did not present themselves as a great ambassador of their program and school by refusing to do the radio show.

Like I said, I wasn't weighing in or passing judgment on the matter, I was just stating facts....personally, I think History is one of the 'easiest' majors out there.

However, since Roberts, Scalia, and Sotomayor went to Harvard, Georgetown, and Princeton respectively, and Scheyer and Zoubek go to Duke, ALL top 20 schools, it is hard to determine if these majors are 'harder' at these elite universities....

Since I did not go to a school of this caliber, I cannot make a determination or comparison about the relative easyness of a certain major....

Would you not think that the History curriculum/degree at SIUE would be easier to achieve than a History curriculum at Georgetown, or for that matter, Duke?

i think history is history. not sure how it can be more difficult regardless of the school.